Dirt Huffer

Riding after shoulder replacement

Anyone riding after a shoulder replacement? We're you able to return to your previous level? Curious, as I might be looking at a replacement if this cartilage transplant doesn't work

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just had my left shoulder resurfaced 3 weeks ago; new nickle/colbalt plate on the head of the humerus and a ceramic glenoid plate. A result of an MTB crash in 2008 and subsequent unsuccessful repair with worsening pain decreasing mobility. Judging from the first attempt at repairing the shoulder, it will be at least 3 months before I dare ride off pavement, and another 5 weeks before I —gently— try riding on pavement.

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    Just had my left shoulder resurfaced 3 weeks ago; new nickle/colbalt plate on the head of the humerus and a ceramic glenoid plate. A result of an MTB crash in 2008 and subsequent unsuccessful repair with worsening pain decreasing mobility. Judging from the first attempt at repairing the shoulder, it will be at least 3 months before I dare ride off pavement, and another 5 weeks before I —gently— try riding on pavement.

What kind of replacement was it that failed on the first attempt?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    What kind of replacement was it that failed on the first attempt?
    Wasn't a replacement, was an attempt to repair the glenoid after I went OTB and drove the head of the humerus through the back of it which shattered it. Result was that I no longer had an actual socket to hold the arm in place as well as a sizable loss of strength and mobility. Very rare injury and the repair was experimental with only limited improvement.