mtbr member

a place for broken riders

a few days ago i went off a small drop, took a nose dive and went sailing over my handle bars. now i cant ride because of a broken collar bone. so i thought i would start a post for injured riders to share their stories about how they got injured. heres mine....

so i went riding in a state forest ive never been to before with two of my friends. we rode on some decent trails for a couple hours and the decided to try and find our way back to the car. on the way back we realized we were a good distance(4-6 miles) from the car. on the way back we found a narrow log ride leading up to a 2-2 1/2 drop. so i went off it twice fine then decided to go for one more. this time i didnt have nearly enough speed and i went over the bars and then the bike landed on me. i knew right away my collar bone was broken and then my friend confirmed it by telling me "thats not supposed to be there". so of all the times we've ridden this was the one we didnt have a cell phone. so one of my friends took my bike and we started walking.
    alfter an hour of that we realized we went in a massive circle so we changed direction and found a place we remembered passing. after another hour the adrenaline was wearing off and i felt like i was going to pass out,( we were still a few miles away from the car) so me and one of my friends stayed in the woods and watched the bikes while my other friend went back to the car to call 911. after another 2 hours we hear the fire department charging through the trails in 4x6 gators. they strap me to a board and took a bumpy 10 minute ride out to a waiting ambulance.
    Last edited by adam031687; 08-02-2009 at 12:40 AM.

mtbr member
    There is already a place for stuff like this http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Calling 911 over a broken collarbone is an epic fail.

Hermit

No riding for me for a while.

Broke my collarbone when I was a kid. I remember that it wasn't a heck of a lot of fun.

My entry level bike that I used for the first year of riding has taken a mess of hits, and the latest derailleur destruction was just one to much. So I got a slightly better new bike to replace it. I thought I'd take it for the first ride solo, so if I was disappointed or had any embarrassing crashes getting familiar I wouldn't have any gawkers.

So I head out to the local trails (W. Branch in OH). The new bike is so light compared to the old one, and the low gears seem so much better that I felt like a damn superman. Rode one loop and decided to extend the ride rather than head back as originally planned. So I headed up to a more tech area to ride on the rocks. Approaching a fairly good rock jumble I shifted down and gave her some torque to get over the main obstacle - but not being used to the new low gears I gave 'er too much just as the front wheel hit the rock and went over backwards (yes, a dumbass move that I don't believe I've ever pulled before). It wasn't a bad spill, but my left foot went between two rocks as I toppled over. I distinctly heard two snaps.

I lay there for a minute then struggled to my feet and started walking the bike out. Fifteen feet later I was so light headed that I lay back down on the ground. I figured I could walk out, but not push the bike out - and I'll be damned if I was going to leave my brand new bike in the woods. I was running the options through my mind when I heard another bike. Turns out it was a guy that I worked on trail maintenance with out for a ride. He was good enough to walk my bike out from the single track to the old road for me (thanks again Mark), with me limping along best I could. Then I rode back on the road the last bit to the Jeep & loaded up. That 3/4 mile walk/ride out will not soon be forgotten.

Turns out I broke both bones in my left leg just above the ankle. Doc says that it's an area where surgery is sometimes required to fix, but I have "strong bones and a strong leg" so I get away with five weeks in a cast. I consider myself lucky, but as someone who bikes or kayaks two to four times a week this sitting around on my ass is driving me nuts. Sixteen days till the cast comes off, then a week of wearing an air cast. Can't wait to get back on the new bike for the second ride.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I had ACL reconstruction on May 28. I'm absolutely dying from not being able to hit the trails again yet. Physical therapy is going great and am on schedule to begin light jogging in the next week or so and hopefully back in the saddle on the trails again before too long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    9 weeks ago after riding in the Blue Mountains I spent 11 days in hospital after a brush with a log ... unfortunately on the log was a venemous creature.

In the US creatures eat you, where as here in Australia nearly every thing dangerous injects us with life threatening venom. The photo was taken a week after I was bitten. The issues were, breathing difficulties, blood clotting and necrosis.

Then 3 weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder, now that was painful ... even little bunny hops and gentle pumping or breaking hard are still out of the question. I'm riding every day though.

I'm glad I live in Australia where the health system is basically free. 9 days in hospital cost me not one single red cent here in the Australian Capital Territory. I like our health system ... it keeps riding affordable

Take care.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 08-03-2009 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm guessing that wasnt a Taipan or King Brown. Some kind of viper?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa
    9 weeks ago after riding in the Blue Mountains I spent 11 days in hospital after a brush with a log ... unfortunately on the log was a venemous creature.

In the US creatures eat you, where as here in Australia nearly every thing dangerous injects us with life threatening venom. The photo was taken a week after I was bitten. The issues were, breathing difficulties, blood clotting and necrosis.

Then 3 weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder, now that was painful ... even little bunny hops and gentle pumping or breaking hard are still out of the question. I'm riding every day though.

I'm glad I live in Australia where the health system is basically free. 9 days in hospital cost me not one single red cent here in the Australian Capital Territory. I like our health system ... it keeps riding affordable

Take care.

Warren.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Voodoosix, I'm guessing it was a spider. Most likely a Red Back. Definitely not a bite from a Funnelweb otherwise I wouldn't be here telling this story. I was by myself and a long way from help. I don't think it was a snake. If I lose the limb in 20 years from now, I will know it was a snake.

Some adults get bitten by Redbacks and hardly know they have been bitten, and others like me go downhill ... faster than Sam Hill. It felt like my limb was being dipped in boiling water when ever it as touched or knocked.

May all you injured riders have a speedy and complete recovery.

Warren.

Members who have read this thread: 0