Thread: Ow my knee

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ow my knee

So here's my injury story:
    It’s been 11 days since I was cruising down a local trail with the Wed. night ride group, 20 minutes from pizza and beer. Moderate speed, loose sand/gravel over hard soil and rock. All of a sudden, my front wheel quickly washes out to the right, and I’m down on my left knee. Come to a stop on the ground, look down and see a slab of flesh hanging off my knee. About 2” x 3”, ½“ thick. I was last, and remember to yell out to the group. "OW!" I survey the scene. A loose, slightly off camber turn. My knee landed square on a fist sized chunk of angular bedrock, and then I skidded a little on the open wound. It’s a little dirty in there, so I take my water bottle, squirt it out a bit, and fold the flap back on my knee. I wrap my shirt tightly around it.
    The group has re-assembled, and we realize that we are a short climb to suburbia and cell phone coverage. Someone rides up the hill to call. I manage to walk to the cul-de-sac. First firemen, then police, and finally the ambulance are soon there.
    In the hospital, I wait. After a while I ask the nurse how long I’ll be there tonight. “Oh things are moving along pretty quickly, about an hour.” I realize later she meant 1 hr to leave the ER waiting room, not the hospital, and over an hour later, the treatment process begins.
    Numb it up, scrub it out. “Filthy” is a word that frequently comes out of the doctor’s mouth. She confirms that there is no damage to tendon or ligament or muscle. Good. The nurse scrubs. “What are those dark things?” I ask. “I don’t know,” she replies. She goes to get the doctor, and it turns out she was a little too gentle and left some sand, weeds, and dirt in there. After a few minutes the doctor has a nice little collection of tweezer-removed debris. Finally, after about an hour since the first “scrub”, another nurse comes in to do some more scrubbing, this time with iodine and plastic bristle brushes. She gets it good, real good, nice and deep, and I feel much much better.
    The doc comes back, approves the scrub, and quickly gets to work with the staple gun. In less than a minute, she’s got about 40 staples holding my flesh in place.
    Last up, a large plaster splint and then I’m on my way across town to wait for hydrocodone and antibiotics outside the drug store at 12:30 am.
    Staples out and splint off in a few more days. Started itching a little today. I’m really curious how the repaired flesh will take to bending, and how long before I can get back on my bike.
    This is the worst crash I’ve had, and it was on a relatively tame trail. Thinking back, I was just cruising at the back of the line, and must have been a little inattentive. That’s not a good idea, to be a little inattentive…
    Cheers and speedy recoveries to all riders down….
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Wow that sucks, but glad you didnt get any more damage than a flesh wound. Should leave a cool scare though.

Im learning quick, that its the time you are relaxed when you bite the dust. thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ouch! Is that right on the front top of your knee?

bikexor
    Dude, finally someone else posts some lacerations and not just digital x-rays! Everyone needs to see inside themselves (literally) to really feel like a truly raw mtb'r. I'm still healing my similar leg flap... skin graft surgery is tomorrow. Hope you don't get there too!

Shred or die.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

update -- healing

Took the staples out several days ago, snapped this a couple days ago (at 18 days) and it's almost sealed up. Soon, very soon, I'll begin the bending/stretching process. The chunk that was temporarily detached is very very stiff and numb. Swelling has gone down a lot.
    And I got my new wheels in the mail, not quite ready to be excited about that yet though...

Yes, it was interesting to get a good, close up view of underneath. Don't care to do it again though. Good luck w/ the skin graft...

mtbr member

I was just cruising along also....

and this is what happened to me. One of the easiest trails I ride

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Yeah, I was coming back from a trail and when i was just cruisin and relaxed ridin the brakes the front tire washes out to the left and I get bad road rash and have to be in a cast! Luckily it was only a week though and I am almost fully recovered.

Peace

mtbr member
    Its always the easy trails! This tuesday I got together with my college roommate for the first time in about 8 months and went for a ride on my favorite loop. Get to the trail head, gear up and head out for about a little 3-5 mile loop. About 500 feet into the ride there are a couple of little rollers that I decide to catch some air on. First one went well, the second one not so much. Upon landing, i was headed right for a trail side tree, hit the front brakes, steer to the left to get back on the trail and proceed to hit a root with my braking front wheel, compress the five inches of front travel then get airborne in a bad way. I look down to my feet to see them disengage my clipless pedals and notice instead of a background of dirt and rocks, I am seeing tree branches. A moment later land hard on my back and roll. As I hit, i let out a involuntary HUHHHH as the impact caused me to expel the air in my lungs. My roommate who was behind me saw the whole thing and said it seemed as if I was 10 feet in the air (which I doubt, but ill give him 7ft). Luckily for me, he is a physical therapist and did a quick examination of my to ensure I had no serious (spinal) injuries. We walked back to the cars, went to the bar to wait for my wife to show up so she could take me to the hospital to get checked out. its a shame because it was half price Harp. Xrays are negative and my pee had no blood in it so the prescribe ice and rest. Well, its saturday and I am still in pain when I make moves with my core, but it is getting better! I just have to convince the wife that the bike does not belong on craigslist.

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    What happened to you francine?

Members who have read this thread: 0