Lower back pain- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lower back pain

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lower back pain

I have just recently been suffering from a lot of lower back pain after I get an hour or so of riding in. I have ridden the same bike for hours on end before and never felt any discomfort. I am wondering if it's because I raised the seat? Never had any kind of back pain/trouble before so I am just wondering what could cause it.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    For me the key to staving off low back pain is maintaining hamstring length.

I recommend you try yoga. Hot room yoga if you can find it. The heat is super for letting you develop that length without putting additional strain into your back and a good yoga teacher will really help you home in on the best stretches for your body mechanics and keep you on track form wise.

Also, if you're not on a FS bike that sure helps a lot too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I found the cause of my minor lower back pain today.

While riding around the neighborhood with the family I was messing around riding wheelies in the hardest gear on the bike.

Turns out this makes my left calf feel stretched to far and my lower back ache a little bit.

I am going to try to do some kind of stretching since I am fairly out of shape.

namagomi
    I see a lot of people execute stuff from their lower back instead keep the cor strong and working from the hips... look at somebody doing a dead-lift this is the best way to show, there is a right way and wrong way todo the lift.

Weak glutes is a common problem for cyclist who don't sit properly on the bicycle(round backed) and will also lead to lower-back pain. Clock is ticking if your form is poor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I once had this and was advised by the doctor to why away from endurance rides for the mean time at least because I was experiencing some back pains on extended hours of rides.

It would not help if I proceed with it so I opted to get off the hobby for about 3 months. I was made to take in a lot of medicines and given a form of workout to improve core strength and the back as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Definitely yes...raising your seat could have brought on the lower back pain...even if it were just a few mm. Unless you changed your stem/handlebar height at the same time, you are flexing your lower back more to reach the bars.