Thread: Jungle rot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Jungle rot?

Alright, sensitive subject here mostly for the gentlemen but maybe not. I use dedicated cycling shorts and a liner with chamois, but this summer I have experienced new levels of discomfort on the bike. It seems like once the sweat soaks that area I need to get off the bike and it takes days to get back to normal. It sucks when everything else is good to go but I miss bike time because of this. What are your experiences with this plague and what did you to ease the pain?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Gold bond, baby powder, wash chamois frequently, immediately change out of sweaty gear when finished, shower and dry promptly, and use fungicide if necessary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It is possible, if your rot is resistant to the normal fungicides, that you are having an allergic reaction to your chamois, ie contact dermatitis. It acts much the same, but fungicides don't do much for it. An hydrocortisone cream might. And, you will have to keep it clean and dry until it begins to clear up, and then wear underwear or something to prevent the contact that leads to the dermatitis.

If that's what it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Fungicide won't work if it's a bacterial rash, so maybe have a doctor look at it so they can determine what exactly it is.

mtbr member
    Utilize Chamois Cream prior to riding. Your choice whether you prefer it applied to skin or slathered on cycling short chamois. Both applications are effective.

Post ride, wash your nether regions with Hibiclens.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hibiclens-Ski...86053055&psc=1

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Use chamois cream on your taint (there boys, I said it). Preferably something that is medicated/anti bacterial.

If I am riding a ton and it's becoming a problem, then get some antibacterial soap, put it on a scrub brush (the ones they have with the long handle for your back or whatever) and scrub your taint (and I said it again). Don't be a wuss about it!

Dry fully and you're good to go.

This will such to do if you already have saddle sores/irritation, but do it after most rides and you'll get them much less.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    If I am riding a ton and it's becoming a problem, then get some antibacterial soap, put it on a scrub brush (the ones they have with the long handle for your back or whatever) and scrub your taint (and I said it again). Don't be a wuss about it!
    A scrub brush on your taint?

Why not a 2200 psi pressure washer with a 15* deg cone nozzle? Seems equally effective!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    A scrub brush on your taint?

Why not a 2200 psi pressure washer with a 15* deg cone nozzle? Seems equally effective!
    I mean, you can regulate the pressure. I guess we can't all have the soft supple and delicate skin of the ruling class

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Use chamois cream on your taint (there boys, I said it). Preferably something that is medicated/anti bacterial.

Dry fully and you're good to go.

This will such to do if you already have saddle sores/irritation, but do it after most rides and you'll get them much less.

^^^ This....and ditch the shorts and wipe the area off ASAP after a ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Changing into a kilt post-ride is supremo comfy and makes it easy to clean and dry off. Puttin it out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Changing into a kilt post-ride is supremo comfy and makes it easy to clean and dry off. Puttin it out there.
    Sitting on some smouldering peat will dry you out faster and give your taint a signature Smoky flavor

mtbr member
    Dang. I think Iíll pass on this home remedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bleeding eventually stops
    Wow that's some great advise especially the kilt. These generally are not infectious at least at the onset so antibacterials and antifungals are of little value. They absolutely can be longer term complications or independent issues but what you are describing is more along the spectrum of heat rash. Chamois creams tend to work better for reducing friction and micro trauma. Typically they are best use around the perineum (aka your taint.) Interventions that reduce heat and moisture are the more likely to be effectual, so getting out of your shorts, using chamois that allow heat to dissipate, baby power is reasonable. Also antiperspirants, typically roll ons with aluminum compounds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Carry wet wipes during ride, periodically wipe the excess butt sweat away.

mtbr member
    well, its not jungle rot....u can only get that over seas. And the acid to cure it burns like crazy. Soap and water, maybe some alcohol, and neosporin. And yes, kilts are awesome.
    Tread killer....