mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. Hurts so Bad

I have been riding my new cobia for 2 weeks now. Like 80 km a day weekdays after not riding for 8 years andbeing out of shape. Someone burglularised my home and stole 8 years of my life work 3 weeks ago I decided I was going to bury ky self in my mountainbiking, get my healthback and now today the worst thing happened.

First woke up and am scared my youngest child might have the pigflu as he is showing flu symptoms...

Then I left and rode 35 kilometers on one of my fastest commutes and had an accident. I was in a small back alley street and I saw this guy on the side of the road trying to walk out in front of me it looked like on the shoulder of the road..

Then blam I hit a speed bump the same color as the street.. totally missed it and indo'd over my front handle pars feet locked in place and slammed head and shoulder into the pavement.

The Chinese walked around me as if nothing happened. I walked for about a kilometer then felt the most horrific pain I have ever felt.

Went to the hospital.. and then the doctors tok an exray and said somethinglike two tendons n my collar bone were ripped and I would need a surgery. First they said 10-15000 rmb, then their boss came in and saw I was a foriegner and was like "oh no... thats like 25000 rmb"

This is some serious cash. I can tell you that this hurts soo bad. They gave me morphine and some other pills Celecoxib.

That didnt really do anthing that I can tell. I cant stand up and have to hold my arm up and out words of my body in order to not feel any pain... I mean not bad pain. Even when I walk. MY woman has to hel me piss as I cant doi it myself. They put some kind of harness on me and a free hanging splint. I am under the impression they dont know how to make splints because I cant do anything unless Ihold my arm up with my other arm.

I need You help.

Can you help me with the following questions?

1)I can attach a picture of the x-ray and can someone tell me the name of what I have in English?

2) Whats a good a good painkiller,

3) how to make the proper splint?

4)and is an operation necessary?

And what is it that I have in English?

The google translation says:

"The right shoulder is sorrowful place right shoulder lock joint space widened, distal clavicle upward shift"

I hurt so bad. i need to take care of my two children and 25000 is so much/

5) Will I ever be able to ride again?

6) It hurts so bad.. when will it stop hurting?

Thanks for your help

Robert ...

Dead sad. Hurting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. Hurts so Bad-smaller.jpg  

Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. Hurts so Bad-img_0001.jpg  

Hurt Collar bone bad in China today. Doctors no help. Need MTBRs advice. Hurts so Bad-img_0002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It hurts so bad. Is this called dislocated shoulder? I am in so much pain and need to make a split. Is it right to keep my elbow out away from my body? That is how it doesnt kill me.. eldow out and forearm parrallell to the ground.. is that right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    you have an ac separation. let me google that for you:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/shou...paration_2.htm

go from there.
    i would not have any surgery in china regardless of the price. maybe hong-kong if you are desperate

Gravity works
    Robert,

Looks like a grade 3 separation. I don't see a fracture. Typically there will be some soft tissue trauma with these and and that is where the pain comes from. There are three ligiments that hold the clavicle down. From the look of the x-ray, you may have ruptured all three. Surgical options for this type of injury for for looks only. Very little gain in function (if any). It will take several weeks (6-8) to be pain free. Start taking Ibuprofen right now. Take 800mg every 8 hours for at least 10 days straight. A little tough on the stomach, but it will control the inflammation and help the rehab. Start doing active range of motion 5-7 days post injury. Sling your arm while sleeping so you don't reinjure in your sleep. Your pain will be your limiting factor while your awake so don't worry about the sling then. I don't reccomend surgical options as there are very little gains for your troubles and you also risk surgical site infection and post surgical arthritis. Many hockey players have this same injury to both shoulders and still keep playing. I had a similar accident about five years ago and was back on the bike in about three months riding hard. I had several broken ribs also and that was what took the time. Hang in there. Tincture of Time will heal this. Do your physical therapy. Good luck.
    A beginner since 1976

I still have to explain to my wife how a 46 year old likes to get down and play in the mud.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cg61doc
    Robert,

Looks like a grade 3 separation. I don't see a fracture. Typically there will be some soft tissue trauma with these and and that is where the pain comes from. There are three ligiments that hold the clavicle down. From the look of the x-ray, you may have ruptured all three. Surgical options for this type of injury for for looks only. Very little gain in function (if any). It will take several weeks (6-8) to be pain free. Start taking Ibuprofen right now. Take 800mg every 8 hours for at least 10 days straight.
    Thats great news. Financially and mentally . I hate to put metal pieces in my body. I am on 400 mg now and will bump it up to 8. My stomach is messed up but the pain is also pretty bad.

Cab you tell me is my arm dislocated/out of its socket? Does someone have to put that back in there? Will it heal naturally and go back into place?

Sling your arm while sleeping so you don't reinjure in your sleep. Your pain will be your limiting factor while your awake so don't worry about the sling then.
    I just tried laying down and sleeping for 6 hours.. it was a pain in the ass to lay down .. but was able too. Getting up sucked too. I am back to sleeping in a chair.

Hang in there. Tincture of Time will heal this. Do your physical therapy. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice. I have to try to get back into the classroom next week I hope the pain is cool then. I hope I can go to the bathroom by myself.

Gravity works
    Doesn't look like it's dislocated. If it was when you went to the ER, they would have reduced it then.
    A beginner since 1976

I still have to explain to my wife how a 46 year old likes to get down and play in the mud.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for again great news. Teh thing is in China they wouldnt reduce it/put it back. So I am trying to find out if someone can lok at the xray and say if it needs to bet put back in there. On the papers they say in Chinese it was dislocated and needs surgery to put it back in.. I cant imagine I am strong enough to slam my shoulder into a wall to put it back.. so it owuld be nice to know if it actually needs it or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ok final decision I will not have an operation. Thanks for everyones help.

Gravity works
    Robert,

The shoulder capsule looks intact. A lateral view would confirm this. The only thing that looks dislocated is the distal end of the clavicle. (which is consistant with an A/C sep) If the head of the humerous was dislocated it would be most likely protruding forward and clearly visible both to you and in the x-ray. Don't go slamming your shoulder into anything.
    A beginner since 1976

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good news. It is not so bad as yesterday and the day before. I dont know if I should sell my mountainbike because it seems just as dangerous as a motorcycle to my childrens livelyhood...

Or ask how soon before I can ride again. I feel real selfish to want to ride.. but just looking at it next to me makes me feel like I want to ride ... now...

At the same time I feel like I fell so unexpectedly last time that can happen again at any time. I was planning on doing 400km per week,,,,

Now I just think about how that ,ultiplies the odds of me gettingmessed up. i have the bike of my dreams next to me and i can use it.

I am scared to use it ...and I am worried if I do use it.. but Iwant to still use it. When I read all the injuries in this forum it makes me ask myself how foolish I am to put my family in danger when they need me. All I need to do is get hurt and not be able to work and we would lose everything. Is it worth it to take the daner andcontinue to ride and put my kids in jeopordy?

"Its All Good"
    Risk of riding is a difficult thing.... I have had 2 reconstructions of my shoulder, it is not full of Titanium....

I would keep riding, for me riding is what keeps me sane, in my opinion, you need to assess what biking does for your wellbeing, mind and body etc, you might well be a better person to be around along with being a better father..... Then again, you could have a freak accident at anytime, not only on a bike....

I would heal up, and reassess things... After my first construction, I F'd it again my first ride back, had to have a 2nd reconstruction.... LOL.... Its all good now....

I am sure you will be back on the bike going full nana in 12 weeks.. Hang in there and except the fact you are going to have to do this healing journey. All the best
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    if you just want exercise,get a stationary machine of some sort,or take up running......which can still get you killed if you get hit

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiNSA
    Good news. It is not so bad as yesterday and the day before. I dont know if I should sell my mountainbike because it seems just as dangerous as a motorcycle to my childrens livelyhood...

Or ask how soon before I can ride again. I feel real selfish to want to ride.. but just looking at it next to me makes me feel like I want to ride ... now...

At the same time I feel like I fell so unexpectedly last time that can happen again at any time. I was planning on doing 400km per week,,,,

Now I just think about how that multiplies the odds of me getting messed up. i have the bike of my dreams next to me and i can use it.

I am scared to use it ...and I am worried if I do use it.. but I want to still use it. When I read all the injuries in this forum it makes me ask myself how foolish I am to put my family in danger when they need me. All I need to do is get hurt and not be able to work and we would lose everything. Is it worth it to take the danger and continue to ride and put my kids in jeopordy?
    Mountain biking is a great sport but it is dangerous. Others may tell you to just take it easy and get back on the bike when you're healed but there's nothing that's written that says you HAVE to get back on the bike. The chances of this happening again are just as great as they were before your last crash. The fun of riding might not be worth the risk. When I was at my docs looking at the Xrays of my latest crash he looked up at me and said "sure, sure, keep riding" but he said it with a deprecating laugh, like "be a fool and continue riding". He's an athlete but can't understand why I ride a mountain bike. Maybe now I don't either. I'm tired of always coming back from an injury, you know?
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiNSA

Thanks for the advice. I have to try to get back into the classroom next week I hope the pain is cool then. I hope I can go to the bathroom by myself.
    Sounds like your teaching there.If that's the case should not the school provide you with medical insurance?

mtbr member
    Sorry about your mishap.

When I busted my right clavicle last year on a road ride, I fell unconscious for four days, so I don't remember any pain my body may have experienced.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. My doc coulda tried to reset mine, but I got there late. The other option is he break it again and set it.

Now I just do light weights an try and build strentgh.

Hope you feel better
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    About the pain, suck it up. It's not that bad of an injury and you can't be in that much pain if you were able to use a computer. Take a tylenol or something and worry about the prescription painkillers when you are in so much pain you can't talk or move.

mtbr member
    Instead of wearing a traditional sling, you can simply use compression bandages or bed sheet to immobilize your entire right arm to your chest. I'm sure you or your woman can come up with something like this...

There's no need for a splint for AC separation. Simply immobilize the shoulder and allow your body to heal itself. Try your very best not to do any damage to the shoulder before it heals properly. Once the pain is tolerable, be sure to work through full range of motion at the shoulder to prevent adhesive capsulitis from setting in.

As for pain meds, find an anti-inflammatory which works for you and which does not tear up your stomach. Anti-inflammtories will likely not totally eliminate your pain, but should give you some relief. A few narcotic pain killers were hopefully prescribed by your doctor for pain control. Unfortunately, you're in China and they use medications there which we don't use here. Take your anti-inflammatories on a full stomach to prevent stomach ulcers.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    Surprised no one said this. ICE!

15 mins ice, 15 mins heat...repeat.

And do't forget RICE:
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

Members who have read this thread: 0