First Big crash in a while!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

First Big crash in a while!

Hello fellow riders and likely crash victims at one time or another. Below is a long email I sent to my Brother and MTB buddies I thought I would share. This crash happened yesterday 4/6/2016. BTW, I'm 54 years old and I suspect this will be a "painful" reminder of my age. I'm still like a kid in that I like to push myself, and MTB is my passion. Email I wrote below.

Hey guys I hate to do a "me too" in this way, but I just experienced a pretty bad fall. Mike is aware but here is a little more info. Yesterday I was riding by myself at Bonelli Park where I was scheduled to race this Sunday and where I have raced multiple times before. The particular trail I was on is part of the actual race course for CAT2, CAT1 and Elite only. It is not a section the lower classes race on, and for good reason. I only started riding this section this year, even though I have trained and ridden Bonelli for several years, due to it's somewhat hairy nature. At Kenda Cup #2, I crashed in this same section on lap two, but was able to continue on with just a couple scrapes.

So yesterday was to be my last really fast paced ride before the big race this weekend. As you get close to a race, it is prudent to "taper" and decrease volume, while increasing intensity ; to a point. That point for me was yesterday. Super hard for 1.5 hours and this it. Then a light spin today, maybe a short ride Saturday with a couple intense intervals, but again mostly rest. That was the plan. As I started my ride, I took it mostly easy for the first sections but was building intensity. I knew I would be racing the steep rocky section as I did at the last Bonelli race now that I'm CAT2, so I include it in my training with some trepidation. It's not a section I am casual about, it's probably the one section that concerns me at race pace, and yet I know I will face it three times in the race, so it's important to get through it, even if I'm not that fast through it. It can be ridden by Elites in like 23 seconds, and mere mortals like me in like 39 seconds on a good day. It sounds short, but I promise you it's a long 39 seconds for my mediocre skill set.

There is a definite preferred line through this section. Sticking to that line is not easy. I have ridden it on the Epic, and now the FS-I, and it's not any easier on a FS. Well, maybe a little. But I have cleaned it multiple times so what's one more right? As I descended, I tried to stay left. The trail is a 13-15 degree extended drop over rock shelf, with large baby heads all over, ruts, and general chunder. The first section I stayed left, but as I approached a sharp Left turn, my line and momentum (well poor ability perhaps) forced me off-line. I was in a steep super chunky path, and no amount of rear brake would save me. Speed is your friend here to a point, no front brake, and yet I just lost it. As I went OTB, I flipped, and landed hard on my R side. I remember thinking" oh shit, this is NOT good"!

I am in pretty immediate pain. My R side back, R knee, R hip, R elbow R foot, all took a shot. Both wrists too. Head was OK thank God. I was alone. In pain, pretty clear head, but really really hard to stand up much. I picked up the bike, moved it out of the trail (if you want to call it that) and noticed my bottle about 50 yards above me. Yikes. I hiked up, and used the water to clean out some of the raspberry spots or which there were many. They wrapped my like a Mummy at the Dr later. Anyway, I walked the bike about another 30 yards, and rode about 2 miles to the car cutting my training ride way short for obvious reasons. Bike is OK.

I went to Urgent Care and received chest and both wrist xrays. No broken ribs initially but it is inconclusive because I was unable to breath in for the xrays due to the pain. L wrist bruised, back and side are turning purple, and R wrist is fractured. I see an Ortho tomorrow. Clearly I am not able to race, or even ride at this time. My perspective? I think I have been fortunate to push hard for a long time, and I was kinda overdue for a big one. As Dave and I have discussed, at our age we simply do not heal quickly, and this is gonna hurt. Will it change my riding style or intensity? Probably a bit, certainly in the more technical sections. Will I still race? Yes. We will see what Dr says but I may be back for the Kenda Cups in May and June and only miss Bonelli 2 and Sea Otter. I'll tell you what, it was scary. I landed my body on a rock face and the rock did not budge. I'm also lucky to have had a good helmet on and not have smashed my face or teeth. Dave, I really hope you are feeling better and get better. A few pictures below that really do not capture how steep the section is, but I see the Elite guys even run it from time to time as well as eat it there too. Take care guys!

Attachment 1062501First Big crash in a while!-20160406_102544_resized.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Big crash in a while!-20160406_102550_resized.jpg  

TOP TIER LURKER
    OUCH!

Sorry to hear. Heal up well.

I guess we are kind of going in opposite directions because I bought a bigger travel bike with a more relaxed geometry last year and I have since been enjoying more of the technical stuff that gave my short travel bike a hard time before.

But, we will ride again sometime.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Start dropping extra calcium and glucosamine. When I fractured (2) vertebrae in my neck at age 49, my neurosurgeon said I'd be in a neck brace 9-11 weeks minimum. 7 weeks later, I was out on a bike again. He said he's never seen anybody with my injury heal that fast. Must have been all the crappy food I ate while stuck on the couch
    Carpe Diem!!

9 lives
    Speedy recovery Trmn8er.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Man. Bad luck. Heal quick!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks to all. Appreciate the kind words. Wrist fracture is an avulsion fracture which is good in that there is no cast. I just need to take it easy and wear splint on and off. Back and ribs are what hurts, but I'll be back on road rides soon perhaps next week and riding MTB soon. Just need to take it easy and not crash again.

9 lives
    Excellent! no surgery!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies