Face plant on Boulder- Mtbr.com
    Zykor

Face plant on Boulder

On April 15th at dusk I was out alone on my local trail near Audrey Moore Rec Center in Annandale, VA. While getting a bit aggressive on a flow trail next to the highway, I attempted to roll a couple of boulders. The first which is about 5 foot diameter and 3-4 feet high and it went fine as I took it slow. Feeling confident, I push hard into the next smaller boulder 3 foot diameter and about 2-3 foot high with an initial somewhat squared off edge about 8 inches high to pop up on. As I started to initiate the pop, apparently i mis timed it and before the tire lifted, it hit the squared edge and just stopped dead. I couldn't have been doing more than about 15mph at the time. Before I could even react or let go of the bars, I face planted directly on my nose on the boulder. I was wearing my normal bike helmet, which seemed to absorb the secondary forehead impact, but provided zero protection to my face. My nose basically exploded. Somehow I didn't get knocked out. My first thought as I was upside down with my feet around my ears was there is no way I have any front teeth left. Shockingly, all teeth survived. The area where I crashed is about a 1/4 mile down the back side of the main hill so while trying to stop the gushing blood exiting my head, I walked my bike up the trail to the top of the hill. Once there I figured getting to a doctor was the priority so about a 1/2 hour later I was at my car loading my bike. At that point, I called a friend to meet me at my house to drive me to a clinic "to get stitches". When my friend showed up, she said, "you are going to the hospital. Long story long, the next morning I was getting reconstructive surgery to my nose. The Doc did a great job, but informed me that some of the interior of my nose was missing and likely still out on the trail. Funny guy! I've recently built my bike as a mullet and I think that with the 29 front wheel, I just didn't have enough time on the bike to judge the timing needed when popping up the front wheel. Anyhow, I'm back riding again, and nose, while not pretty, is healing well. By the way, lucky I had insurance. Total hospital charges: $18,000. Total doctor charges: $48,000. I would have been completely safe had I had a full face helmet, or even my kids baseball helmet with face grill. Any other major face injuries out there?

Out spokin'
    Sorry to hear of your accident but glad youíve come out of it as well as you did.

I have a FF helmet but only wear it when riding at bike parks or black riding areas. Whenever I read things like what you wrote, I feel like I should wear it all the time. I also ride off-road motorcycles and would never consider doing that with anything less than a FF helmet. Wassupwidat?

Good luck with the remainder of your healing... and with paying those bills.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Glad you didn't end up with a major concussion! Hopefully the nose heals quick.

I use a full face helmet almost exclusively now for this exact reason. The TLD Stage hasn't been much if any hotter than a normal helmet. If it's a super easy ride on a flat trail I use a normal helmet.

Zykor
    Funny. The week before I was considering a FFH or even wearing a mouthpiece for my teeth. The trail isn't really the type anyone would consider a FFH on. Definitely getting one for more aggressive trails. What FFH are you using?

Didn't mention it, but concussion was part of the win also. As there is nothing that can be done for a concussion except being idle, I took 2 1/2 weeks doing no biking or physical excercise to be safe.

Out spokin'
    I have a SixSixOne.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The only "trail" FFH I've tried is my current Troy Lee Designs Stage. Ventelation is excellent. It's hot on slow climbs like any other helmet but air flow is good for everything else. I've ridden in 85 degrees with it and had no complaints.

Fit of the Stage is more like a motocross helmet which is excellent for me. There is no tension system like most MTB helmets. You get the fit right by sizing and using the set of different thickness pads you get with the helmet. I haven't crashed in it yet but the EPS foam is as thick as a normal helmet and the fit feels very secure. I have taken a few hard hits in motocross, enough to know what a poor fitting helmet feels like vs a good fitting helmet.

The Fox Proframe seems to seriously lack protection from what I've seen from others who have crashed with them. The EPS foam seems to be thin and a few have had the face piece break off.