mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Diet Advice and broken back

I'm not completely immobile, but I broke my back last week when I fell off of a horse and I can barely get out of bed now. Thankfully, the damage was not neurological. I fractured several transverse processes from L2-L5. I asked the trauma doctors when I would be able to exercise again and they said I might be able to start doing light exercise in 6-8 weeks. I did not eat much on the opiates, but now that the pain has dissipated, I am not taking the opiates and I'm feeling a little frisky and eating a little more.

I gain weight VERY easily. I would like to prevent any weight gain. I know I will lose most of my muscle, but I would like to keep some, too, if at all possible. I have been on almost every diet during my life, but I'm not sure that any of them really worked. I am willing to starve myself, but I would prefer not to. I was basically wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for reading about diets and nutrition for when you are unable to exercise or move much?

Also, please share any stories of your recovery over a long period of not being able to ride, I am not an indoors person, at all, and stories help!

mtbr member
    eat healthy. NO PACKAGED food! if its premade, frozen, comes in a box, only requires a microwave to prepare or has more than 4 ingredients that you yourself did not combine, then dont eat it. eat little red meat and way more leafy vegetables. no fast food. no sodas.no sweet tea. no ice cream. no candy bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks for the advice. I guess what I meant was, I know *what* to eat, and I certainly know *how* to eat healthy, but I have been fighting boredom eating my whole life, and now that I am home all day, with all of the food that my parents bring me (which is NOT what I ask for at all!), it's very, very difficult to deal with the emotional side of eating. When I'm biking, it's not a huge issue because I have stuff to do outside and I burn a ton of calories.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you really want to watch your weight (or maybe lose some lbs) you should look into medifast. (www.medifast1.com - use promo junkie50 to get $50 off an order). It is soy protein based and will get you all your necessary values of food. There are variations for people who work out more or maybe dont need to lose that much weight, the 4&2 plan or the 4-2-2 plan. The system is similar to nutrisystem but less gimicky and actually verified/tested over the last few decades. I know you didnt mention wanting to lose weight, just not gain it but this in addition to some other healthy foods as mentioned will definitely work. I lost 61 pounds (235 to 174) in about 13 weeks with this diet and working out 6 days a week.

good luck.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by creseis
    thanks for the advice. I guess what I meant was, I know *what* to eat, and I certainly know *how* to eat healthy, but I have been fighting boredom eating my whole life, and now that I am home all day, with all of the food that my parents bring me (which is NOT what I ask for at all!), it's very, very difficult to deal with the emotional side of eating. When I'm biking, it's not a huge issue because I have stuff to do outside and I burn a ton of calories.

Well it looks like you know what your problem is - emotional/boredom eating. There's a fairly simple solution that involves removing all of the crappy food from your house and replacing it with fruits and veggies. To an extent, you can "boredom eat" vegetables all day long and end up pretty healthy. Tell your parents to stop bringing you crap, and if they do, give it to someone else or throw it away.

No amount of reading about diets can help you if you're not willing to sack up and change your habits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Well it looks like you know what your problem is - emotional/boredom eating. There's a fairly simple solution that involves removing all of the crappy food from your house and replacing it with fruits and veggies. To an extent, you can "boredom eat" vegetables all day long and end up pretty healthy. Tell your parents to stop bringing you crap, and if they do, give it to someone else or throw it away.

No amount of reading about diets can help you if you're not willing to sack up and change your habits.
    I normally do not have any junk food in my house, but due to my condition, I am at my parents' house for now and my mother is a TERRIBLE enabler. I gave her a list of what to buy and what not to buy, and she bought all of the things I said NOT to buy and then some, and none of the things I asked her to buy! So, I'm stuck with foods I don't like and a bunch of chocolate and chips that she got. Fortunately, I have a bunch of LUNA bars and fruit. It hasn't really been going that badly so far, I have mostly been eating lean meats, very few grains, healthy fats, dairy products, and fruits and salads, lots of salads, and nuts. I read that certain nuts and fruits contain anti-inflammatory chemicals (apples, almonds), and of course omega 3 fatty acids are also anti-inflammatory agents. It's almost 2 weeks now and I'm really starting to feel better--today was a huge difference because a pinched nerve no longer seems pinched and I had no spasms last night, slept the whole night for the first time!

Anyways, so long as I stay away from the evil things and keep my sanity in my parents' house, I think I'll be ok. But I do worry about the lack of exercise It seems like a tremendous effort to get in and out of bed/couch, and I've been going outside to sit and sketch, so maybe that helps? I'm waiting for the neurologist to yell at me!

mtbr member
    Take some sleeping pills. If you're sleeping you're not eating.

Seriously though, sounds like a willpower issue and something I have a lot of problems with myself. You seem to be on the right track by trying to keep yourself busy. Get some books, magazines, DVD's, xbox, whatever it takes to keep your mind off food. Maybe I can even take some of my own advice...lol

Members who have read this thread: 0