Ryder Eyewear Injuries- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Ryder Eyewear Injuries

Hi,

My name is Cindy Howell. Last month, I purchased a pair of Ryders XTR sunglasses. While wearing them cycling, I slipped as I came to a stop and brushed my face on the ground. I caught myself with my arms without receiving a single scratch with the exception my face. The sharp casting lines in the Ryders bridge piece severely cut my nose. The replaceable lens popped out, exposing the sharp lens guide that gouged the side of my nose and lip. I currently have no feeling in the bridge of my nose and I am now facing reconstructive surgery to remove a disfiguring scar.

Since Ryders has opted to not accept any responsibility nor help with my medical bills, my husband and I have made the tough decision to bring a legal action against Ryders. If you or any of your friends have sustained Ryders related injuries, would you be kind enough to contact me. We have a website detailing more information at www.tallgrassconsulting.com/Ryders .

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Cindy Howell
    Branson, MO

pedaller

Wow!

Good Luck!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Agreed. All I can say is WOW. Good thing you are located in the good ole US of A.

Yummy
    Sh!t happens. Deal with it. There isn't always a need to find someone to blame and sue the pants off them.

You crashed. You got hurt. No permanent injuries. Get over it.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Sorry to hear of your injury, but like K'endo said, "$h!t happens. Maybe they won't counter sue you for not being a better cyclist.

Those wounds don't look serious enough for "reconstructive surgery", but if you say so.

With wounds like that I usually just put a little milk on it and let the cat lick it.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Sh!t happens. Deal with it. There isn't always a need to find someone to blame and sue the pants off them.

Kn.
    I agree. I'm sorry to hear that you were hurt and I'm glad to see that you're ok but... well... truth is we all fall and get hurt, sometimes by landing on our equipment (or having our equipment land on us lol). No reason to sue them...

People get too sue-happy these days.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I know this may come off as callous, but...

I agree with Kendo. If you ride, youre going to crash. If you crash, stuff will break, and when stuff breaks, sharp edges are sometimes produced.

I dont see how the eyeglass maker is responsible for your injuries.

Frankly, people like you and your husband suck.

No warranty (or compensatory damages) for being a dumbass.
    Last edited by Reposado Man; 07-13-2006 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Why not sue the bike mfg for not making one that is phychic? Sue your local gov't for not prohibiting bicycles, they are dangerous. Sue your husband for taking you out for a ride. Sue your alarm clock mfg who helped you get out of bed on this horrible day.

Sorry for your pain, but that is nothing for a crash. Stop being so vain.

TOO BAD FOR PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo

Kn.
    I got to agree with Kn. You ride, you know the risk. Get well soon but I would reconsider the lawsuit.

mtbr member

No good

I've had two pairs of Ryders and haven't had an issue, then again I haven't fallen directly on my face lately. What exactly are you expecting a pair of sunglasses to do, absorb the impact? I'll agree with the others and say sorry you hurt yourself but it seems like you're expecting a bit much.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Alright, let's ride!
    Looks like you are getting pretty much the same opinions here as you did over at bike forums.
    Don't bring me down..........

Work Shed...
    I got 3 pretty sever puncture wounds on my wrist from the big chainring from pulling down the plastic strap on my trunk mounted bike rack. I was pulling the strap down to secure the bike when it snapped and I whacked my wrist on the teeth of my third chainring, which left deep punctures that bled a ridiculous amount. The wounds are healed, but I have no feeling there, so I suppose there is nerve damage of some type. It never even crossed my mind to sue the company for making the rack.. Injuries happen! The sunglasses keep sun out of your eyes, not to mention wind and road grit. A helmet keeps your head "safe" in a crash, but that doesn't mean you can't get MAJOR bruising/skinning of your forehead when you crash.. I think it's something you need to get past. Time for some oakelys.
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

Jul 2006

Internet Research

Hello guys,

Thanks for the lively discussion. I'm Clyde Howell, Cindy's husband, the women injured by the Ryders Eyewear.

Can everyone do me a quick favor? If you have your biking glasses handy, check out the inside of the nose piece, then go to our site www.tallgrassconsulting.com/ryders and check out the photo of the Ryders bridge piece. Tell me which set of glasses you would want to be wearing in an accident.

This is a cool opportunity for some Internet research!

Best Regards,
    Clyde Howell

smw
    pedal pusher
    And the jury says not guilty, and the lawyer says pay me now. Cut your losses and chaulk it up as fortunate you were not hurt worse. I dont think Ryders claims they are crash glasses, or even safety glasses, they are sun glasses.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    wow! i have deleted my response(s) 5 times now because i can not believe how silly this lawsuit is.

sorry sister but i don't think the cycling community is gonna be on your side on this one!

oh and it is a good thing you had the glasses on or whatever scratched your nose coulda made you blind......
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

thecentralscrutinizer
    I'm not so sure I want to help you. If you find something wrong through the use or accidental misuse of any information I provide, you may sue me.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29

MFin' Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    I know this may come off as callous, but...

I agree with Kendo. If you ride, youre going to crash. If you crash, stuff will break, and when stuff breaks, sharp edges are sometimes produced.

I dont see how the eyeglass maker is responsible for your injuries.

Frankly, people like you and your husband suck.

No warranty (or compensatory damages) for being a dumbass.
    Agreed. Here's some jury duty I'd love to be called in for. Hello, dumbass, your sunglasses didn't cause your injuries, your CRASH did.

Cindy, I hope you lose and I hope it costs you lots of money. And one more thing, you might want to put rubber bumpers on the corners of your computer screen. Wouldn't want you poking out your good eye next.

mtbr member
    Did the sunglasses cause your injuries or YOUR inability to remain upright on the bicycle?

Take your crashes like everyone else, drink a beer and laugh it off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is ridiculous. Those sunglasses really don't look much different to my Oakleys. Do you honestly believe that falling on a sunglass frame made from hard plastic should somehow protect your face from getting injured?

Sadly this sue-happy culture is spreading to the UK as well. Ever wonder why organisers find it so hard to get liabilty insurance for races these days?

I'm sure your life-changing scratches will eventually heal in the goodness of time, perhaps you should consider counselling?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    You forgot to put "frivilous", "bloodsucker", "cha-ching!", "jackpot", etc in you meta keywords on your website.

META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="Ryders Eyewear,Sunglasses,Sports Glasses,Injuries,Law Suit,Class Action,Sunoptics,Bugaboos">

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    I dont think Ryders claims they are crash glasses, or even safety glasses, they are sun glasses.

Yeah. And they don't even have a cool catch phrase like "Thermonuclear Protection" or something ... though seeing your lawsuit suggests why Oakley doesn't use that as their sig any more either.

Plus, I can't really believe that you merely "brushed" your face on the ground and received no scratches elsewhere.

I mean, if you'd like I can post pics of where I "nuzzled" with some rocks while kayaking and ended up with pins in my arms.

Please.

mtbr member
    Your picture sucks. I'm using a 21" lcd flat panel monitor that has pretty darn good resolution, probably one of the better lcd's I've viewed, and I can't make out any detail, and also the area you have circled is out of focus. Post a high resolution picture if you want to win people over.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Jul 2006
    Thanks everyone for your help!

I would like to think everyone for your overwhelming response. Our website is burning up with hits. Thanks for the folks that have sent the dozens of kind, supportive emails, we greatly appreciate it.

I would also want to thank the folks that are spreading this information to their friends around the world. We are getting our message out far faster than we ever dreamed!

We don't mind suffering a few insults along the way, it's to be expected on the Interenet. The good news is that the word is out!

Thanks to everyone,
    Clyde Howell

mtbr member
    Who told you to put the balm on?

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder Injuries
    Since Ryders has opted to not accept any responsibility nor help with my medical bills, my husband and I have made the tough decision to bring a legal action against Ryders.
    Congratulations, you're now part of the problem.

Imagine how much better off you'd be if you spent the effort learning to ride without falling over instead of wasting it blaming others for your accident.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

In exile
    uhm - didn't you see what pads you had on there when you put them on??? If you poke through the paper and get pooh under your nail do you sue Charmin???

Way to be grown up and accountable.

MFin' Princess
    We don't mind suffering a few insults along the way, it's to be expected on the Interenet. The good news is that the word is out!

Thanks to everyone,
    Clyde Howell
    You know if this little scheme doesn't pan out (and it won't) you really should consider gluing your lazy ass to a Home Depot toilet.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

I would like to think everyone for your overwhelming response. Our website is burning up with hits. Thanks for the folks that have sent the dozens of kind, supportive emails, we greatly appreciate it.

I would also want to thank the folks that are spreading this information to their friends around the world. We are getting our message out far faster than we ever dreamed!

Thanks to everyone,
    Clyde Howell
    Please post a single supportive e-mail here. I don't believe you have recieved even one..
    You do know that all of these forum threads can be compiled, and introduced as proof of public opinion regarding the frivolity of your 'suit', don't you?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Feb 2006
    retarded.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

In exile

Thanks to everyone,
    Clyde Howell

Clyde - I hope you enjoy changing your contact info after everyone berates you into submission. You are an abomination.

BTW - great job on the sh*tty website. I am sure lots of folks will want to hire you when they see it.

In exile
    One last word of advice.

Suck it up, princess!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Please post a single supportive e-mail here. I don't believe you have recieved even one..
    You do know that all of these forum threads can be compiled, and introduced as proof of public opinion regarding the frivolity of your 'suit', don't you?
    Here is a supportive email:

mtbr member
    maybe after everyone gets done smacking you around here and the lawyer has taken a bunch of your money you can petition this site to get rid of the "disfiguring scar"

http://abc.go.com/primetime/extrememakeover/
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

MFin' Princess
    Precisely. I already emailed a link to Ryder's Legal Depatment.

To: [email protected] bugaboos.com.au

Attn: Legal Department

Thought you'd be interested in seeing what Cindy Howell is up to. And I knew you'd appreciate reading all the public support against the frivilous legal action she's taking against your company.

No, I don't wear your sunglasses, but might just purchase a pair just to piss off Cindy.

Have a nice day.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=209108

not in Vienna
    Did your bike come with these?

If not, you should sue the bike company!!! How dare they put such a dangerous object on the market!!!

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    You know if this little scheme doesn't pan out (and it won't) you really should consider gluing your lazy ass to a Home Depot toilet.
    Very nice.

Jun 2004
    hehe....I love the canned responsed.
    Hits on the site: 750
    Positive comments on here:0

This one time I got a handle bar in my chest....couldnt do pushups for a month. Imagine the emotional loss I felt there. Bonty is gunna hear from me....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    If not, you should sue the bike company!!! How dare they put such a dangerous object on the market!!!
    Jesus Christ man don't give them any ideas! Your new $5000 bike will come with welded on training wheel brackets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is the decline of the American Empire in action.

You people make me sick. The folks at Ryders are good people, selling a quality product at a fraction of the cost of the "Name" brands.

I'm very sorry you experienced an injury (it's happened to all of us mtn bikers) but you should be ashamed of yourself.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    We should all contact Ryder Eyewear with our comments and make sure they have seen the overwhelming support of the concept of personal responsibility.

If this woman "brushed (her) face on the ground" hard enough to get cut up it does not matter if she had glasses on or not. She was going to get hurt.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    Very nice.
    The definition of acerbic humor, that TVC is.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Jun 2004
    Just wanting to be part of this historic thread.

I'm a unitard!

oh look

an e-mail address too.
    mailto:[email protected]

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I we should all contact Ryder Eyewear with our comments and make sure they have seen the overwhelming support of the concept of personal responsibility.
    Sent mine this morning.

My favorite part is how on their (cindy and clyde) website they actually have a spot saying special thanks to the different forums this has been posted on. Not one of the forums has supported them. Every comment basicly tells them to suck it up.

Sep 2005
    After being sued by the garbage man for straining his muscle lifting my garbage nothing surprises me anymore.

I hope you rot.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    For [email protected]'s sake - take up bridge or something less "hazardous".

Rest assured that I will be thinking of you two clowns and your contribution to the cycling community next time I am unable to ride somewhere for "liability" reasons.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Think long and hard before going under the knife to repair what ever small scar maybe left.

Surgery is also dangerous!

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlack
    After being sued by the garbage man for straining his muscle lifting my garbage nothing surprises me anymore.

I hope you rot.
    Are you in Canada? Are you sure he didn't strain it throwing cans at the neighbor's garage door? Is your neighbor MMike?

If you answered yes to any of this, the answer is clear, sue MMike.

Rolling
    I think you have a better case if you say the glasses obstructed your vision and caused you to crash rather than falling and saying the glasses caused your injury.

It's seems hard to prove negligence when the product was not properly used. The glasses were not designed to protect you from yourself (EG your negligence).

However, you might have a case in the strick sense of the law, but I think in a moral sense, you are doing the wrong thing. It's not like they have razor sharp edges that cut you when you put them on or off.

I lost my front wheel riding in 1986 before there were lawyer tabs, got a severe concussion, and live with a scar that ended my chance and chin modeling, yet i didn't sure Bridgestone bikes...but maybe I should have. ...

PS: ryders might sue you for using their logo, so watch out!

PPS: While you are at it, you might want to sue the helmet company too cuz my guess is, it pushed down on your glasses when you hit your head or something....I don't see how you had this happen if you were wearing a helmet properly.
    Last edited by lidarman; 07-13-2006 at 01:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ryderwuss,

1. You got me to join another damn forum

2. Sounds like to me you two do not have insurance or not very good insurance coverage. Yet you decided to continue riding because it was "fun". Tee hee! Unfortunately **** went south on you and your wife got injured. Now because of her lack of ability you want to litigate? You can't roll the dice and not expect to get injured at some point. Stay away from all adventure sports. You are not the type of people who should be participating in them. Try knitting, crossword puzzles, maybe some of those online Halo death matches to get your adrenaline fix. Stay away from the real thing, it's just going to cause more misery for you. Then again, I got a hunch you guys like drama too.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    A case study of when white trash win in an eyewear lawsuit already exists...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by killclimbz
    Try knitting,
    Are you kidding?

Big frickin' needles, man. Brush your face with one of those and POW! You're out an eye.

Rolling
    Are you kidding?

Big frickin' needles, man. Brush your face with one of those and POW! You're out an eye.
    An aside:

They must be safe since you can bring them on an airplane now. But you still can't have a small 2" star wrench used for disc brakes. I know, I had one confiscated.

Sep 2005
    I hope you don't get sh!t!!!! This is a major problem with todays society , placing the blame on others when in all actuality the fault is their own. Maybe next time you go for a ride you will remember to wear your full-face helmet and body armour so you don't get any boo boos Hopefully they will counter sue your a$$ and you will be stuck with over whelming legal fees. Have a nice day

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Are you kidding?

LOL, ok, ok, with cork on the tips....

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    They must be safe since you can bring them on an airplane now. But you still can't have a small 2" star wrench used for disc brakes. I know, I had one confiscated.
    You might over-torque the flight attendants ... can't take that chance.

As an aside, would any sort of 'official' petition testifying to the general sentiment that this lawsuit is retarded help Ryder's cause?

And if so, what would we need to do about it? Real names, I'm guessing, but what else?

Anybody?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is whats wrong with the american legal system, if someone can sue over their own fault and their own accident and think someone else owes them money.

My god the sports ive done since I was a kid and the times ive been hurt, I never dreamed of suing anyone.

Sports = possible injury, and when you get that injury, you cry, you whine, you heal and then you start over from the beginning.

No support from me.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Are you in Canada? Are you sure he didn't strain it throwing cans at the neighbor's garage door? Is your neighbor MMike?

If you answered yes to any of this, the answer is clear, sue MMike.
    They have lawyers in Canada? I have a feeling that he just might strained his muscle wiping his own ass. Mayble I'll just sue Clyde.

Rolling

Should I sue?

I just realized my Cool stainless steel Blur sunglasses might be a hazard, even more than Cindy's.

• Because they are steel, they get hot in direct sunlight and burn my temples.
    • They have really sharp and stiff edges, I have even used them to open beer bottles (not kidding). So if i were to fall or hit something hard, i might get a good cut.
    • The hinges are also steel and on the inside of the glasses so if I were to hit the temple part, I might get gouged fairly good by the hinge.
    • I could also pinch my finger in near the hinge when opening the glasses like a nutcracker...Them being steel, will not give like plastic and could really mess my finger up.
    Should I file a pre-imptive lawsuit before I really get hurt?

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Hi,

My name is Cindy Howell. Last month, I purchased a pair of Ryders XTR sunglasses. While wearing them cycling, I slipped as I came to a stop and brushed my face on the ground...

What a pu$$y. This is a face plant, the sun glasses he was wearing cut him to the point that it required trailside butterfly stiches to close the wound. He didn't even think about a lawsuit, he didn't blame anyone or anthing but himself. Come on Cindy, man up and chaulk it up to expirience.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member

No good

Hello guys,

Thanks for the lively discussion. I'm Clyde Howell, Cindy's husband, the women injured by the Ryders Eyewear.

Can everyone do me a quick favor? If you have your biking glasses handy, check out the inside of the nose piece, then go to our site www.tallgrassconsulting.com/ryders and check out the photo of the Ryders bridge piece. Tell me which set of glasses you would want to be wearing in an accident.

This is a cool opportunity for some Internet research!

Best Regards,
    Clyde Howell

She fell on her face!!!!!!! Why do you in any way think the glasses are supposed to protect her face in the event she fell on it? I fell on my face a few years ago wearing glasses and got was more cut up than your wife from my glasses cutting it up. It happened and was in NO way any fault or responsibility of the eye glass company. I freaking ate ****!!!

Why don't you post some good guality pictures of what the glasses looked like AFTER the crash. I am sure more than a few of us would like to see what they look like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

The real bad guy is Sir Isaac Newton

I would sue his butt for that damn Theory of Universal Gravitation.

If it were not for him when you lost control of your bike you would have just floated through the air until acted upon by another force. That would have solved all your problems.

Holy Hanna, if I sued some one every time I took a digger the whole court system in the US would be log-jammed for the next decade.

Here's some advise. Clean your wounds. Move on.

Feb 2006
    as much as most of us cyclist bemoan the fact that most of our society has become a bunch of couch wallowing fat @$$ed wimps.

that just where these two gems belong.
    plopped in front of the tv, with the remote handy, eating a big bag of chips and dip.

that way all they can sue is the carpet manufacturer when they trip and fall while making a run to the fridge during the commercial breaks.

how can you two sleep at night ?

N8!
    mtbr member
    Attempting to make money via the Litigation Lotto sucks ass.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Salami
    She fell on her face!!!!!!! Why do you in any way think the glasses are supposed to protect her face in the event she fell on it?...
    Next up, Federal regulations requiring airbags on all sunglasses. This will drive up the price for entry level models to over 3000$ each.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 2006
    What it comes down to is this: if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. Duh.

You're giving us female mtn bikers a bad name by not being able to handle getting hurt. The stereotypical girl crying over nothing, weak and needy, unable to take responsibility. Thanks!

In exile
    Any suit posed by you should be placed solely on aesthetics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you poke through the paper and get pooh under your nail do you sue Charmin???
    I love this one!! hahahaha

I'm a unitard!
    aw man, my poll got deleted.

ride your bike
    Hi,

My name is Cindy Howell. Last month, I purchased a pair of Ryders XTR sunglasses. While wearing them cycling, I slipped as I came to a stop and brushed my face on the ground. I caught myself with my arms without receiving a single scratch with the exception my face. The sharp casting lines in the Ryders bridge piece severely cut my nose. The replaceable lens popped out, exposing the sharp lens guide that gouged the side of my nose and lip. I currently have no feeling in the bridge of my nose and I am now facing reconstructive surgery to remove a disfiguring scar.

Since Ryders has opted to not accept any responsibility nor help with my medical bills, my husband and I have made the tough decision to bring a legal action against Ryders. If you or any of your friends have sustained Ryders related injuries, would you be kind enough to contact me. We have a website detailing more information at www.tallgrassconsulting.com/Ryders .

Cindy Howell
    Branson, MO
    Have a nice warm glass of STFU.

I'm gonna sue your dumb ass for harming the Earth with your face.

Stupid.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    wow and just when you think teh world is a good place you see free loaders in the same state i rest my head in wow

May 2006
    You might over-torque the flight attendants
    There's something amazingly erotic about that...

But there's so much more that's completely repulsive about this scenario, that I can't even get turned on by the thought of over-torquing foxy flight attendents...

I'm suing for loss of libido.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    aw man, my poll got deleted.
    In defense of the mods, it was even dumber than the seat clamp thread.

Maybe just let the beauty of the day shine, instead of trying to piggy back.

I'm a unitard!
    This HAS to be one of cindy's relatives...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS08nRjcKA0
    d*******mn. He needs to sue that picnic table. It's actions were clearly negligent.

I'm a unitard!
    In defense of the mods, it was even dumber than the seat clamp thread.

Maybe just let the beauty of the day shine, instead of trying to piggy back.

Yeah yeah, I agree, but I wanted to see the numbers. Let them see the numbers in the poll. You did vote didn't you?

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by Ryder Injuries

Thanks to everyone,
    Clyde Howell

Clyde,
    you and your wife should be ashamed of yourselves for going this far with such silly lawsuit! Open your eyes and ears, everyone thinks you are wrong...get it?
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Suck it up

Thats it.

I'm suing the Howell's and MTBR for wasting an hour of my life that I will NEVER get back again.

Cindy, at least you are going to have your skin grow back.

Wipe your tears away and start working on that time machine so I can get my lost hour back.

If its not back by high noon on Friday you'll be hearing from my lawyers Dewy, Cheatum and Hough.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Yeah yeah, I agree, but I wanted to see the numbers. Let them see the numbers in the poll. You did vote didn't you?

Last time I looked it was Yes 20, No 0.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I would gladly help donate my time to defend Ryders.

Any Missouri lawyers feeling the same way please feel free to contact me directly
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

In exile
    No - I was busy making smart ass comments.

Everyone knows how ridiculous this is. I didn't feel the need to vote. Those folks are a piece of work.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    I just realized my Cool stainless steel Blur sunglasses might be a hazard, even more than Cindy's.

[..

So you get to ride with 2 guys an TEN WOMEN??

Last edited by zon; 07-13-2006 at 02:42 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    These are the type of litigants who give lawyers a bad name . Soon to be star's on The People's Court..

Surely this must be some type of hoax. I too have lost valuable minutes of my life and appear to have injured a rib as a result of laughing...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    We haven't heard much from the Howell's in a while, maybe uncle Thurston ponied up?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    With the amount of tie dye in that pic, there are no amounts of women that can make that right. Damn hippies.

*disclaimer - this is an attempt at humor.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Clyde and Cindy, or whoever the hell you are:

You are both idiots. Should I have sued Kona when I fell off my bike? Should I have sued the tire manufacturer because I washed out the rear wheel?

You dumbass...you wear glasses to protect your eyes from things flying into them. You want to protect that face (even though I don't think you should worry about damage considering the pre-crash condition) you should have been wearing a full face helmet and not sucked so badly on the trail.

Christ, even our president, in his infinite stupidity, can get it right. "If you ride a mountain bike hard, you should expect to fall" - paraphrased.

Drop the lawsuit you moron. You're just another huge part of the problem of a lawsuit happy America.

Work Shed...
    I love taking insults over the "Interenets"...
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

mtbr member
    God was even harder on lidarman than she was on Cindy.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

mtbr member

Jackpot!

OK, so I was wearing Ryders too, when I "lightly grazed the DIRT" (or whatever she said...) so add me on! Let's file a glen-style (cl)ass-action suit then! Yay! I woke the fok up in an ambulance after being knocked out for 10-12 minutes honey, so I got a better case. And possibly an uglier face - before and after! So get in line behind ME.

Come to think of it, I ought to sue a few more evil companies for producing products that allow me to enjoy life so fully:

Santa Cruz, of course - they made the bike I was riding
    Daimler Chrysler - they made the vehicle I used in getting my dumb ass to the race venue
    Mama Earth - she made the dirt/rock/gravel that attacked my front wheel AND face that day. Wait, and the air I had to breath too.
    Snowmass - They made some fun trails that made me go too fast.
    Giro, of course - as the helmet did nothing to make me a better rider/racer, damn them!

Yadda Yadda Da

Thank you Ralph Nader! I love Tort Law. Power to the idiots!

Clearly a case of bad sunglass design:
    Last edited by glenzx; 07-13-2006 at 03:45 PM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Just safely spectating
    Attached Images Attached Images

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    You're kidding right? I mean, you made a username called "Ryder Injuries" just to post this? Try contributing before you come in here stomping around suing people.

I demand my 2 minutes of vacation time back for loco making me read this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
    Who told you to put the balm on?

lol awesome.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Think long and hard before going under the knife to repair what ever small scar maybe left.

Surgery is also dangerous!
    But doctors have deep pockets!
    We all get it in the end.

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    But doctors have deep pockets!
    Yup, they are probably already depending on their mal-practice insurance to buy them a new home.

Oh, a side note. Apparently Cindy and Clyde decided that they weren't hearing exactly what they wanted to on the forums. They have removed the links to all of the forums from their website.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Just for fun, where else are there threads about them?
    www.bikemojo.com (austin VooDoo)
    www.tetongravity.com
    www.ridemonkey.com
    Others?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by J
    You're kidding right? I mean, you made a username called "Ryder Injuries" just to post this? Try contributing before you come in here stomping around suing people.

I demand my 2 minutes of vacation time back for loco making me read this.
    Not me. Blame rideit.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Last edited by gregg; 07-13-2006 at 05:44 PM.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Blame me, but sue Loco. He gets paid to surf, I get nothing.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

desert dweller
    Darn It!!!!! I guess I have to give up mountain biking. My perscription glasses may break and cut me if I fall on them. Sheesh, and I like riding my bikes. Well, since I'm locking myself in my room I guess I'd better sue the manufacturer of my bedroom set because it is obviously poorly designed -- you know with those darn legs that I keep stubbing my toe on.

mbb

Aug 2004
    I slipped as I came to a stop and brushed my face on the ground.
    In other words you f'dup and endoed and now you want somebody else to pay for your stupidity.

In exile
    Blame me, but sue Loco. He gets paid to surf, I get nothing.
    I am likely to take a cut to work at the shop. I'll have to pay in tubes.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Cindy & Clyde,

you are both a couple of azzhats. assume responsobility for your actions, bike riding is a dangerous sport and apparently more than your willing to deal with.

Lets be serious, if you crash into a tree swerving to miss a deer and glass from the windshield cuts your mug, are you going to sue the glass & car mfg???

Now I know everyone could use some extra $$$, but don't be a douche!

FYI, for the record, I've been using Ryders for the past 3 years as riding eyewear. Not one issue yet and I'm not really worried either, even after seeing your lame site. You should both be ashamed of yourselves.

May 2006
    Those are some sweet lookin shades, Im goin to go buy me a pair.... Thanks for the Link....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It is a sad day for cyclist's who wear sunglasses.My last face plant involved a large log with branches strategically aimed at my face(home of my eyeballs).Fortunately for my beloved hazel peepers my trusty,ugly Oakleys were on the job.I would have lost my left eye without the protection provided by my sunglasses( I still have the damaged ,intact lense to prove it).Here is the funny part.The impact pushed the bottom of the lense into my face creating a need for a few stitches.Wow, I had so much fun blasting the remaining thirty-five miles of trail...why you ask ? I kept thinking about two working eyeballs.I don't think I could ride at the speed that I require with one eyeball.Good luck and please stay out of the way.If you do decide to keep riding wear a full face helmet,it will protect us all.

Alright, let's ride!
    It is also at www.cyclingforums.com

It was also posted on some optical site but I don't have the link to it. It's pretty funny though, it's been posted on seven or eight sites and not one site is supporting them.

Apr 2004
    Well Cindy and Clyde, I surely can top this mishap....

....this one time, at band camp

Seriously, bring your bikes back to Kmart and get a nice set of beanbag chairs, much safer

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I know someone that had a very similiar injury due to Oakley glasses.... maybe sue oakley aswell? (BTW... this person realized it was mostly his fault for the injury, 1. Going over the handlebars 2. Riding with metal glasses).

the women injured by the Ryders Eyewear.
    Best Regards,
    Clyde Howell
    The glasses didn't injure Cindy, falling off of the bike injured Cindy... You two are just petty!

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    In other words you f'dup and endoed and now you want somebody else to pay for your stupidity.

Funny, that's almost exactly what i read when i read her post as well.

Good ole' litigious society... it couldn't have been your fault. Man, if you skinned your knee, i hope you sued the concrete company that poured the concrete for the street.

Ooooh, you got a cut. I hope you hurried up and called an ambulance chaser lawyer. You'll get your few bucks, but he'll get rich off your greediness.

I think i'm going to go buy some Ryder's eyewear, just to help offset your own moronic nature.

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Cindy & Clyde,

you are both a couple of azzhats. assume responsobility for your actions, bike riding is a dangerous sport and apparently more than your willing to deal with.

Lets be serious, if you crash into a tree swerving to miss a deer and glass from the windshield cuts your mug, are you going to sue the glass & car mfg???

Now I know everyone could use some extra $$$, but don't be a douche!

FYI, for the record, I've been using Ryders for the past 3 years as riding eyewear. Not one issue yet and I'm not really worried either, even after seeing your lame site. You should both be ashamed of yourselves.
    Maybe you could contact Ryder and let them know. If Cindy's case actually makes it to court, Ryder's lawyer may be able to use you testimony

always learning
    I'm almost positive Cindy & Clyde won't be reading this thread anymore due to the overwhelming response but I'll say my peace anyway.

Sorry to hear you fell. That sucks.

With that said I'd like some more information. Was Cindy wearing a helmet? I'm assuming the answer is yes. Why would she wear a helmet if she didn't think she might fall and get hurt? Do you think that helmet would save your head NO MATTER WHAT type of crash you sustained? If you accidentally fell off a cliff you couldn't blame you XC helmet for not saving you.

I've worn glasses since the 3rd grade. I always had to be careful playing basketball and football not to get hit in the face but it happened anyway. For better or worse I still must wear glasses every time I ride just to see the trail. Since I began riding I wised up and switched my regular and dark glasses over to polycarbonate lenses. This prevents the lenses from shattering but does not prevent me from falling. Riding a bike is dangerous. I have ridden with roadies that watched their friends get clipped by cars and died from the impact on pavement. I've ridden on the beach bike path and watched a guy slip in a sandy turn and bust his temple open while screaming kids watched the blood drip onto the beach. Consider yourself lucky that the only defects you have from your 'ground grazing' are a few scratches. Look on the bright side and remember that you're not a model and riding is what you love to do.

You fell on your face. Did you think those glasses would save you? If you wanted full eye protection get a pair of ballistic glasses like Wiley X's, those things block shotgun blasts.

You were wearing wind deflecting vision aids, not protective eyewear.
    Save yourself time and money, you will never see a dollar from Ryders.

mtbr member
    oh, ouch! nice one

please, thats nothing. when i crashed and broke my neck, my prescription glasses tore through my upper lip. i needed stiches, and now have a scar there. should i sue the eyeglass company?

also, should i sue the grass cuz my front wheel slipped? or should i sue the tire company?
    rider makes a mistake, rider pays the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I wonder how surprised these two are at the responses they're getting. At the moment, 116 people are viewing this thread ... not to mention the half-a-dozen other threads at other forums/boards. Do you think they're continuing to read these posts? I mean, can they possibly keep up? I'm sure they're thinking to themselves about now that we are all lemmings just grup-thinking ourselves into oblivion and that only one or two of us REALLY believes that they're wrong.

Cindy and Clyde - please post and tell us you've changed your mind ... stop the madness!!! I can't keep reading threads from 8 different forums ... I need my life back!!!
    Last edited by Juliius; 07-13-2006 at 09:54 PM.

Rip
    Broken
    I said it before, you crashed, you got cut up, suck it up princess, it's part of the bloody damn sport.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

Life is Good
    This thread is pretty damn funny.

Kudos to the fella who posted a picture of "The Jerk"

Jul 2006
    I cant believe in 3 pages there is only one Kmart bike reference.

This whole story makes no sense at all, if you have to catch yourself, no way you were just going to brush the ground

Also, how does one catch themself with arms and smack their face on the ground, usually if you catch yourself, you don't destroy your already busted face on the ground. I've never heard of Ryders, but if they drag this case out and force Clyde and Cindy to sell their singlewide (no offense to people who live in singlewides) and go bankrupt in legal fees I'll buy a pair, hell I'll grab 2.

And what was the seatpost thread? I'm new and it sounds rediculous

Silence! I kill you!

Since we're on the topic of stupid people

How about suing your own parents?
    from NBC11.com
    http://www.nbc11.com/family/9513070/detail.html

Daughter Who Surprised Mom With Birthday Visit Sues Parents

UPDATED: 12:17 pm PDT July 13, 2006
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    MADISON, Wis. -- An Illinois woman is suing her Wisconsin parents for maintaining an icy driveway that she blamed for a fall that broke her ankle two winters ago.

This week, a federal judge refused to toss out the lawsuit, setting up a trial for November.

Carriel Louah, 25, visited Darlington, Wis., to surprise her mother on her birthday in January 2005. But the next morning, she was injured when she slipped and fell on her parents' driveway. She filed suit against her parents earlier this year.

The daughter said that a letter from her mom apologizing months after the fall proves that her parents knew they had a defective gutter for years and did nothing about it.

She's seeking more than $75,000 in damages for medical bills and lost wages.

Her parents said that she can't prove the driveway was icy at the time or that their drainage system was faulty.

U.S. District Judge John Shabaz said that a jury should decide the matter.

I wonder if she was wearing "defective eyeglasses" that cut her as well, maybe she couldnt see the ice
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    An Illinois woman is suing her Wisconsin parents...
    Typical FIBs.

Last edited by Don Juan; 07-13-2006 at 07:45 PM.

wannabee
    you should not pick on her because of her looks. that's just wrong. I bet she has a nice personality though. couple of idiots.

Jul 2006
    totally for what it's worth, but I didn't find an XTR model on the Ryder website, I did find however an RTX and they were 49 bucks, that's half the price of my Arnettes I beat up everyday. Though a minor detail if you are going to launch a full blown crusade on the company I'd make sure I had everything right and spelled correctly, this is the internet ya' know

mtbr member
    Ryders being a Canadian company, good luck bringing a US lawsuit against them. This is a totally frivolous lawsuit if I've ever seen one. Right up there with the suit against Burger King and others making you fat if you ate them every day. Just plain dumb.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    It is also at www.cyclingforums.com

It was also posted on some optical site but I don't have the link to it. It's pretty funny though, it's been posted on seven or eight sites and not one site is supporting them.
    Wouldn't this be funny if it was just a troll post...How ingenious that would be. The ultimate breaching experiment. This is on their site...it's almost like they want to use the number of hits to rally support.

Quote Originally Posted by sue happy freaks gone wild

Over 1000 hits in our first 36 hours online!

We would like to thank everyone for your overwhelming response! Our website is burning up with hits. Thanks to the folks that have sent the dozens of kind, supportive emails, we greatly appreciate it.

We would also want to thank the folks that are spreading this information to their friends around the world. We are getting our message out far faster than we ever dreamed! We don't mind suffering a few insults along the way, it's to be expected on the Internet. The good news is that the word is out!

Best Regards,
    Clyde and Cindy Howell
    This is one of the most interesting threads since not one person, unless I missed it, is supporting them. I think its a first.
    Last edited by lidarman; 07-13-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by zon

See how cool my shades are!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Your suit is ridiculous, People like you are the reason why our legal system is a complete mess, backlogged with numerous BS cases. Take responsibilty for your own actions and careless riding, oh yah and by the way BUY A FULLFACE HELMET AND WEAR GOGGLES!!!!!

mtbr member
    Hi,

Cindy Howell
    Branson, MO

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare.swf

Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsdmusic
    BUY A FULLFACE HELMET AND WEAR GOGGLES!!!!!
    Not wanting to put words in your mouth, but I think the words "For the love of humanity..." could have fit nicely before this sentence

Best line in the post so far... "like polishing a turd"... BWA HA HAHAHAHA !!!

Man... just wait until the local nuclear powerplant melts down, if my Oakley's don't stop me from turning into a pile of molten goop, I'm in on whatever class action gets going...

Sam

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Hmm...

We don't mind suffering a few insults along the way, it's to be expected on the Internet. The good news is that the word is out!
    A few? Hahaha. Right up there with "brushed" and "goughed".

I'm sure some high priced Ryder laywer finds some libel in whatever you've written so far in your escapades.

Jul 2004
    This is so lame. I am going to buy a pair of Ryders just to support them against stupid people not able to be responsible of their own actions.

Is there an european webshop I could use to buy them?

mtbr member
    This has to be a joke. If not, the trails and cycling are going to be illegal soon

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by m1k3mo
    I cant believe in 3 pages there is only one Kmart bike reference.
    Yay, that was me, is there some sort of prize for that???? if not maybe I should sue someone.

Category Winner
    Just in case no one noticed its over here too:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=210447
    My 2 cents: C'mon. I have a scar on my nose from an injury I got from a pair of prescription glasses that were driven into my flesh while playing basketball. It really messes with my tan. I am going to sue Wilson.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gee, in late January I was riding a downhill trail, stuffed up a jump and "rested" (kind of like "brushing") on my right hand, pinning it under my bike frame, body etc. I'm left with a pinky finger on my right hand that I can no longer straighten fully. I make my living from a job in the museum industry that requires me to have manual dexterity in my hands. My pinky is still swollen and misshapen at the joint and every time I clench my hand into a fist I feel some pain.

Oddly, because I was riding a mountain bike on a rough trail and deliberately attempting a technical trail feature, I'm of the opinion that the accident was my fault and haven't even contemplated suing the glove company for the fact that the little finger had less armouring than the other fingers and obviously protected me less well as a result. Protective gloves that don't fully protect. A serious design flaw in the protective wear I'm sure we'd all agree...

Oh, hang on, that's right... I'm not a d*ckhead.

I'm sitting here shaking my head and hoping that the Stella Awards for this year haven't closed off already.

I "brushed" a pine tree with my nuts a couple of years back in another OTB incident, and then last year my daughter was born 3 months premature... Can you put me in touch with your lawyer? I'm sure the incidents are linked somehow.

Get a life.
    Last edited by Fullrange Drew; 07-14-2006 at 04:36 AM.

Jan 2004
    While I offer you get well wishes you don't seem to accept any responsibility for falling and put the blame on the eyewear maker. Unless you can prove that other eyewear used for riding don't present the same danger I hope you lose your case. Next thing you know riders will be suing chainring mfrs for bites to their shins and calves.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thread, funny way to start my morning!

That injury didn't even look that bad...
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think the real problem is they are riding without health insurance, in other words it was just a matter of time before something bad happened. I did it too for a time, but when things go south, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I fell on my face last week. My front tire slid on a rock that was right after a 2 foot waterbar. I tried to sue the rock.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

The Quimby!
    Cindy, tough break with the injury. I am sure that it does hurt, but do realise how lucky you are that it was not of greater severity. Unfortunately, I must add weight to the growing condemnation surrounding your law suit. Everything we do has risk, hell;

Life itself is the greatest health hazard of all

I get the feeling that you and Clyde are new to the sport of mountain biking . It seems that you may have seriously misjudged the type of people who write on this forum. Forgetting about the law for now, I really believe that your litigation claim is immoral in the extreme.

You have certainly gained widespread notoriety with you situation. I am amazed how far you story has spread. Unfortunately, all responses so far seem to echo my own sentiments. Part of being an adult is assessing the risk of new activities, and accepting responsibility for any foreseeable outcome should you choose to participate. Obviously, there is no excuse for negligence, but your situation doesn't even come close. It is extremely unfair that the unlikely success of your frivolous litigation claim will have a detrimental effect on the sport of MTB for the rest of us.

I slipped off my own bike recently and gained a nice gouge on my stomach area from my Poploc lever. The area is swollen, discoloured and bruised, and is starting to come up like a hernia, but I never ever even thought of suing RockShox. I had a somewhat painful laugh about it, and chalked it up as one of those battle scars mountain bikers strive to acquire.

Anyway, I hope you heal up and find the time to improve your bike riding skills to fully enjoy the sport. It is somewhat macabre, but I must say, this has been one of the most entertaining threads I have read in a long time.
    Last edited by Jet-Mech; 07-14-2006 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Be wary of any enterprise that requires new clothes. - Henry David Thoreau.

Oct 2005
    I can't believe how this couple actually thinks they're going to make some money off Ryders. They're probably looking for some "go-away" money to make ends meet.

We all have decision power and common sense, which they should have used when they purchased the glasses. If they saw this sharp edging, then they should have returned them, no question. Taking into considerationg the frivolous nature of the lawsuit and their belief in it, I have to assume they don't possess that type of sensibility. Jeez, anything can mess you up. I can't imagine how much worse the crash would have been without those glasses. They protected her eyes, and she's not blind, but she's not thanking her lucky stars she can still see.

Just amazing that we have such bottom feeders here.

No beauty pageants in the future...or in the past from what I see.

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I think the real problem is they are riding without health insurance, in other words it was just a matter of time before something bad happened. I did it too for a time, but when things go south, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I fell on my face last week. My front tire slid on a rock that was right after a 2 foot waterbar. I tried to sue the rock.
    Did the rock recover any lawyer's fees from you?

I cut myself bad while shaving yesterday. OJ didn't leave a trail of blood this big. I really think I want to sue the maker of my shaving cream and razor because in the quest of a great, smooth shave, they made razors too sharp and cream so good that I didn't even feel it. I'm gonna teach them for making good products

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    injuries happen - live with it

i hope you do not win this case.

why not trying suing your parents because their genetics didn't provide you with tough enough skin to withstand the impacts against other objects???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi,

Cindy Howell
    Branson, MO
    I've cut my nose and/or hurt my face with my personal glasses, safety glasses and with sports glasses, but more importantly is my previous live in an industrial environment where I saw personal and safety glasses can all cut the face, and why there was a trend to have eye and face protection attached as or part of safety helmets. Also why there are full-face helmets.

At my age the scar from my last cut from glasses (note: I did not go after the Smith people and my kids who caused it.) is hardly noticeable, and it might even keep glasses from slipping down on my face.

In my FISTA training I also saw how the advised and preferred eye protection is via the helmet and not glasses.

I will conclude by saying you are a slime bag and a human waste of time and bandwidth, and I hope you stay away from my state and trails I manage because our rocks are sharp and they are not conducive to training wheels.

Prospects and customers for your business should give you a big thanks for using your site as you do. It's a nice warning for people to know that you are some combination of cheap, irresponsible and not trustworthy.

Bottom line: You should have been using training wheels with a full-face helmet.

Go get a bike with training wheels, find paved bike path and most importantly stay in Branson, MO.

P.S. My response to you would just be a few 4 letter words and ill wishes if I did not practice personal responsibility and good parenting.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Just in case no one noticed its over here too:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=210447
    My 2 cents: C'mon. I have a scar on my nose from an injury I got from a pair of prescription glasses that were driven into my flesh while playing basketball. It really messes with my tan. I am going to sue Wilson.
    When you wear a basketball for sunglasses, it's bound to mess up your tan.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    you deserve to have a scar on your face so every time you look in the miror you are reminded of how pathetic you are
    I guess I was a pathetic basketball player (if that comment was directed at me).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I guess I was a pathetic basketball player (if that comment was directed at me).
    It wasn't directed at you. I have zero reading comprehension skills and got that he was talking to Lovee.

My lame joke about the basketball pic was directed to you.

mtbr member
    HaHA!!! Best thread EVAR.

I only opened this festering turd because I work with a Cindy Howell. I saw the preview line and thought, 'Hey! I know her.' Turns out this person is a different, much much stupider Cindy Howell. Thank god, I'd be embarrassed to know that litigious piece of crap.

To continue with the Jackie Childs picture, this thread is salacious, caprecious, ridiculous....downright outrageous!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

my email to them.

To Cindy and Clyde,
    Come on. Get real. You are one of the reasons the US is going to hell in a hand basket. If you sue these guys then you are just another reason lawyers are in business. You crashed. You got hurt because of your were riding or riding skills. If your glasses made you fall then maybe sue, but i dont think your glasses made you fall. Its your fault. If I had a dollar for everytime I crashed and the manufautures of everything I wore and the hardware I was riding I would be a millionare. What about all the pot holes That popped my tires, or the thorns that did damage to my skin. Should I sue the forest service for not taking care of them. Or Pearl Izumi for not protecting my skin when I fell on the rocks? These are sun glasses. They are ment to protect you from the sun, not from a full face impact. If your looking for a facial protection then look into a full face helmet. I have one for sale if you would like for cheap.

Please drop your lawsuit and get on your bike and ride again. The court system is full enough with out your law suit. Please if your going to sue some one please do so but on a meaning full issue like a drunk driver.

If you do continue to press a lawsuit I will have to add you to the http://www.power-of-attorneys.com/ website.

Note:I have no affiliation with the people you are going to sue.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Matt

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    HaHA!!! Best thread EVAR.

I only opened this festering turd because I work with a Cindy Howell. I saw the preview line and thought, 'Hey! I know her.' Turns out this person is a different, much much stupider Cindy Howell. Thank god, I'd be embarrassed to know that litigious piece of crap.

To continue with the Jackie Childs picture, this thread is salacious, caprecious, ridiculous....downright outrageous!!!!
    Bonus points for words I can't hardly pronounce before my morning tea.

i worship Mr T
    me? i'm going to sue the company that made the asphalt that did this to my chin when i "brushed" it on the ground:

and this to my hip:

and this to my elbow:

oh, and i still have a numb spot and a bump on my chin and a potentially disfiguring scar on my elbow 6 weeks later. i think i need reconstructive surgery. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Category Winner
    Hey Babe,
    Check the sarcasm at the door. It's a banned substance in the passion forum.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    Yeah, forget the reconstructive surgery. It's like polishing a turd. Oh, and you guys suck and are retarded.
    Priceless quote!

Really though...Isn't it amazing how common sense is the first thing to leave the brains of idiots when smacking or rather "brushing" the head on the ground?

C'n'C: Chill out! Enjoy life and don't be freaking a-holes for something that was an accident. Clearly, it wasn't the SUNglasses that 'caused' the accident. Why should you be so special when others clearly have had this issues with similar results but have the common sense to realize that these things happen.

On the other hand...this thread is damn entertaining!
    Last edited by su.ling~; 07-14-2006 at 09:48 AM.
    ~~~

desert dweller
    Clyde and Cindy -- I was just wondering if you have a couple of counsins named Earl and Randy?

Just checking.

mbb

Faller - Expert Class
    [QUOTE=TrekFan]
    Quote Originally Posted by psinsyd

Ay Carumba!!! who the fu*k is that?
    I didn't know until my g/f said, "oh, that's the cat-lady of New York!".

BMC FourStroke

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

Jul 2006
    Check out her website. It is obviously her own fault. https://www.tallgrassconsulting.com/...oreDetails.asp

The caption under this photo on her website reads, "Minutes Before".
    Had she been wearing her helmet properly, her face would have never contacted the ground. CASE DISMISSED.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwitte
    Had she been wearing her helmet properly, her face would have never contacted the ground. CASE DISMISSED.
    Good eyes you got there inspector.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I'm a unitard!
    "We were riding in Taos, NM about three weeks ago. For any of you that has a chance to ride the West Rim trail at the Rio Grande gorge, take it. It is amazing! The more challenging terrain there convinced Cindy it was time to upgrade her glasses for safety reasons. We went into a Taos cycle shop to check out eyewear suited specifically for off-road use. The salesperson visited with her at length and proposed the Ryders for two reasons, it was designed specifically for bikers an the offered the flexibility of replaceable lenses. Being relatively new, we had to lean on the salesperson�s numerous years in mountain biking to guide us. Needless to say, Cindy purchased the now infamous Ryders and left convinced she had made a wise investment in her safety."

That is what I always think after riding a tough trail. "Man, I really need to get some new sunglasses to help me clean that rock garden."

Now it looks like they are going to try to pull the salesperson and the bike shop into their frivolous suit.

Seems like they have been reading these forums and are now choosing their words carefully.

Jul 2006
    Well, if they decide to remove the incriminating photo, well, it's too late. I saved it and also took a "screen capture" to show it's placement on their website with the caption "Minutes Before". I imagine the Ryders company would appreciate this info.

Category Winner
    I really love you guys. Each and every one of you. I haven't had this much good reading available to me in awhile.
    Stop frivolous litigation at all costs. Even if you have to sue somebody to do it.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Hey guys, tell me if you win. I got a papercut today while doing some photocopying. I'm gonna sue Xerox for medical expenses. The edges of photocopy paper are negligently thin. D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

rack admirer
    A pair of Smith Mainlines held up pretty well saving my face when I hit my head on a rock in a slo-mo crash a few years back. The Smiths had nice rounded lens holders as opposed to the sharp edged shields look made famous by David Duval and the baseball players. Only the upper edge where the replacable lenses slide out cut my eyebrow.
    Oh the choices we make.
    I wear chain-saw glasses now. Nerdy not stylish.
    MCM # 57

Jun 2006
    uhm - didn't you see what pads you had on there when you put them on??? If you poke through the paper and get pooh under your nail do you sue Charmin???

Way to be grown up and accountable.

Well put.

I am currently in suit with the local poision ivey assciation of Austin. I have personally had numerious adverse reactions due to exposure with their members and want justice! If they could only speak, this whole process would go a lot more smoothly........

Silence! I kill you!
    This might be the first time in MTBR history (minus one of our own being hurt/passing away) that everyone on the board has been one mind in showing what douchebags these people are. Now we should pull out the big guns and get some of our friends in F-88 in here to really do some diggings on these people and let them have it
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

May 2006

Gee, haven't heard from cindy in a while

She is probably preparing a slander suit against all of the members of this forum!

or rather,

Hanging her head in shame.

Silence! I kill you!
    Geez, don't any of you have more usefull things to do instead of read this thread?

Oh wait, my name is on there also.......
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm Clyde Howell, Cindy's husband, the women injured by the Ryders Eyewear.
    Uhmm... ok I'm not American so probably I look on this way way different then you guys from accross Atlantic ocean. But hmm... women injured by the Ryders Eyewear? Usually when I fall with bike I'm injured because I fall not because of bad tires, shity eyewear, bad color of my cycling pants etc.. I usually get injured because I was clumsy, because I was too fast, because I didn't handle my bike so as I should, or whatever reason there was that I fall. On the end it's >ME< who fall not glasses. And if anyone think that any other glasses would be 100% safe is well... naive at least. With a bit of bad luck anything can go wrong.
    Oh well... I will never understand you guys how can every stupid thing >YOU< do, be reason to go and sue someone else. For stuff like this I'm really glad it's nothing like this over here in Europe... yet.

always learning
    Might want to sue Smith too, they have an identical model:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by primoz
    Uhmm... ok I'm not American so probably I look on this way way different then you guys from accross Atlantic ocean. But hmm... women injured by the Ryders Eyewear? Usually when I fall with bike I'm injured because I fall not because of bad tires, shity eyewear, bad color of my cycling pants etc.. I usually get injured because I was clumsy, because I was too fast, because I didn't handle my bike so as I should, or whatever reason there was that I fall. On the end it's >ME< who fall not glasses. And if anyone think that any other glasses would be 100% safe is well... naive at least. With a bit of bad luck anything can go wrong.
    Oh well... I will never understand you guys how can every stupid thing >YOU< do, be reason to go and sue someone else. For stuff like this I'm really glad it's nothing like this over here in Europe... yet.
    as you can tell by the responses in this thread, all of us in america are just like Cindy. just like everyone from europe smells funny. wait, I am part spanish.. nm

Jun 2006
    Since Ryders has opted to not accept any responsibility nor help with my MEDICAL BILLS,
    Band aids are not that expensive, hell I'll pay for them.

Feb 2006
    Check out her website. It is obviously her own fault. https://www.tallgrassconsulting.com/...oreDetails.asp

oh yeah.
    she just looks like a natural born singletrack ripper.

always learning
    Sent to the Howell's via email:

"Hi Cindy & Clyde,

Due to the overwhelming negative response on MTBR I suggest you might want to post some current pictures of Cindy's injuries. Three weeks have gone by and a clearer picture of Cindy's permanent injuries might be more apparent."

If they think they still have a case, they'll respond.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i think Cindy has a great case, Ryder should have specified in writing that their product is not to be worn while brushing the ground with ones face. I almost suffered similar injuries while purchasing a pair of shades in a sunglass hut, if it wasn't for the shop assistant yelling "don't brush the ground with those glasses' as i was heading for the floor i would have suffered a similar fate. Obviously her traumatic experience was made worse by her congenital buttuglyitis. I think we should all try to show a little more compassion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Email response.

Here is the response back from the email they sent to me.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the email. We just added a “More Detail” link to our website, www.tallgrassconsulting.com/ryders that might give you a little more insight into our situation. We are very excited about the interest this is creating. Our hope is that gear manufacturers will put more of a premium on personal safety in the future.

Thanks for your opinion,
    Clyde and Cindy Howell

and here is my reply to them

Clyde & Cindy,

Maybe your personal safety might be in a lazyboy. Of course if you look hard enough you can find a reason to sue anyone. To me there is risks in anything you do, wear or eat. What ever happened to common sense? Maybe you should step back and see if you are really doing this for the right reasons. Is this the same thing as when you step on a little pebble and sprain your ankle? Are you going to sue the shoe company? What about when you spill your drink because the lid on your soda does not completely prohibit all fluid from exiting the cup. What about a sunscreen manufacturer when you still get burnt? This is frivolous and should be dropped. As of right now the only thing that comes to mind when I read your page and associate it to you is greedy American trash.

Comments are sincerely welcome.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattl; 07-14-2006 at 01:38 PM.

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mattl
    "Our hope is that gear manufacturers will put more of a premium on personal safety in the future."
    I don't have such a problem with them if that's all they're trying to do. Making up stories about disfiguring scars to get a payday is the sh!t that ruins it for everyone.
    Last edited by tgreathead; 07-14-2006 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hmm..anybody look to see who tallgrass consulting works for?

Wal-Mart Stores
    Textron Financial
    Stephens Investments
    BHR Capital
    Xata Corporation
    Southwest Bank of Texas

maybe some one can let some higher ups know they contract work to people that potentally could be a liablity.

Oh and who nominates we add this to http://www.power-of-attorneys.com/?

Life is Good
    Hey guys, her name is on the active users viewing this thread as I write this...

In exile
    I think personal safety already comes at a premium. Perhaps you should remember that when your cheap ass decides to buy the $50 glasses next time.

*not that I wouldn't buy $50 glasses, but I wouldn't expect them to help my fly fishing or my ability to fly monkeys out of my ass.

In exile
    I personally wouldn't attach my name to something slanderous that would inhibity their ability to work. Heaven knows, if the sunglasses are at fault, can you imagine costing them a Quarter Pounder meal at McDonald's???

mtbr member

Arg!!

No no no!!!!! You should not sue everytime your [email protected]$$ makes a mistake. This is not responsible at all. You bought a bike and then glasses. You knew the risk...NOW ASSUME THE RISK. You messed up and fell over (sorry for that). $h1t happens...don't get sue happy when it does. Be an adult and assume responsibility for your fall. You are the type of person that closes trails down...STOP IT NOW!! PLEASE!!...You F'ed up...GET OVER IT (and if you are going to sue the glasses are the last place to try).
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    No no no!!!!! You should not sue everytime your [email protected]$$ makes a mistake. This is not responsible at all. You bought a bike and then glasses. You knew the risk...NOW ASSUME THE RISK. You messed up and fell over (sorry for that). $h1t happens...don't get sue happy when it does. Be an adult and assume responsibility for your fall. You are the type of person that closes trails down...STOP IT NOW!! PLEASE!!...You F'ed up...GET OVER IT (and if you are going to sue the glasses are the last place to try).

What say someone stole her boyfriend? What would be your recommended course of action for that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2000
    Posting more insults and abusive comments will cause this thread to be locked, if they persist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi,

Cindy Howell
    Branson, MO

Stop the madness its not the glasses falt , try looking in a mirror and sue them or
    clyd for taking you out without a full face helmelt or you can sue your parents for giving you birth. If you think you are the only one that has gotten hurt on a mountian bike think
    again , I know there is a post in here somewhere check it out.

mtbr member
    Most intersting item from their updated site; "The more challenging terrain there convinced Cindy it was time to upgrade her glasses for safety reasons." Now I've ridden some pretty damn technical trails and at times been worried about my safety but not once, not one single time did I ever think to myself I need to upgrade my glasses for safety reasons. For if I did think that I'd go buy myself a pair of SAFETY GLASSES, not sunglasses.
    By the way, how do sunglasses help protect you from more challenging terrain?

Lock er up
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Silence! I kill you!
    As funny as this thread has been, I think the verdict has been reached:

People in favor of the lawsuit: 0
    People opposed to the lawsuit: However many people post on MTBR.

Let this thread be locked since otherwise it will just die a slow death.....
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

always learning
    I only ask that before the thread is locked we hear something from Cindy & Clyde.

pewpewpew Moderator
    . https://www.tallgrassconsulting.com/...oreDetails.asp

Add to this the fact that someone so interested in "safety" would be expected to invest in full fingered gloves. Not to mention long sleeves and armour.
    Love, Impy

what a joke
    Wow you deleted my post, thats the first time ever!
    blah blah blah

what a joke
    Now to see if I can get it locked........
    blah blah blah

Wizard of the Trail
    What kills me about this is that glasses are supposed to protect your eyes, not your nose. Did you lose an eye? Also, if somebody should be suing someone, it should be that guy that sliced half his nose off with his helmet visor when he crashed. This broad gets a few scratches on her nose and were running to court. The sick thing is they will probably captialize on this crap. If you can win a court case because you burned yourself with mcdonalds coffee, you can do anything. These are the people that contribute to the disclaimers you see everywhere. The other day I saw a hersheys chocolate commercial and it said on the screen, "eat in moderation." Come on!
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    The glasses didn't injure Cindy, falling off of the bike injured Cindy... You two are just petty!
    What a couple of boneheads!!! How about the cut on her lip? Is she going to sue the rocks.

It's people like that that caused trails be closed.... insurance rates to go up.

I've never sued anyone for anything, but I'm willing to make an exception in this case. I think we should start a class action lawsuit agains Cindy and her hubby for making mountain bikers look like a bunch of lame-arse cry-babies.

Geeze Cindy..... Take a little RESPONSIBILITY for your actions. If you mountain bike....you will crash and you will get hurt and you will get scars

Next she'll sue the pedal company because she couldn't clip out.

Members who have read this thread: 1