OT: Scam, or no scam? not bike related- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OT: Scam, or no scam? not bike related

So, as it is I'm hard up on money right now, who isn't I guess but any way... I get the mail today and I'm expecting a bill from a collector, fun stuff. Instead of a bill I find a mysterious envelop from Canada with a cashier's check for 1,860.09 (to be exact). OK. That's nice, who couldn't use an extra 1800 bucks? A letter enclosed informs me that I've been selected to take part in a 'consumer report' - this is a company that conducts surveys and the like, supposedly. It all sounds great, too great right? The third paragraph says this:

You will pose as a potential customer sending a Money Gram payment to Michelle LLoyd a relative of yours in <insert address>. The funds needed to complete this transaction assignment have been arranged and has been enclosed with this letter. You must cash the check at your bank and use the cash for your assignment. For our verification of assignment completion, please fax the Money Gram form and evaluation sheet to the number above, immediately after completion.
    Here's the scam. Sounds too good to be true right? It is. The poor shmuck who falls for this actually goes to his bank and cashes out the cashier's check and actually sends some of the money (you get to "keep" $200 of this as your first assignment. Yeah right.) Check is cashed, money's in your hand right? wrong. About a week later you get a call from your bank, and if you're like me you're probably getting a call saying that your balance is in the red. Why? Because as it turns out the check is fake and the money you cashed out now comes out of your bank account.

Now, I'm not an expert economist, but doesn't this seem like what would happen if you tried to cash out this check? For shits and giggles I might take it to my bank and ask some questions. Can't hurt right? I think I want to actually fax their form back with some interesting words of choice. The sad thing is that people will fall for this because let's face it, money doesn't come easily to most of us and ****ers like this prey on poor people's emotions. Any one else ever get something like this in the mail? Seen plenty in my inbox but when it's a legit looking check looking you in the face, I have to admit I spent some time thinking about cashing that ****er in...
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I dont get how when you cash a bad check, the bank takes it out of your account. How the hell does that work?

pedal pusher
    Cash it at the grocery store and go buy yourself a new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    I dont get how when you cash a bad check, the bank takes it out of your account. How the hell does that work?

Like I said, I could be wrong. bottom line is this... there's a check for 1800 bucks in my hands right now that I did nothing to earn. Something smells like salmon.

Already thought of that one.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Sounds good, until you get that knock at the door because you gave then you ID info to cash it.You need a fake ID then you can get a new bike!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo

oh, and think about it - have you ever tried to cash a personal check, say a big one when you don't have the matching funds in your account? The bank won't let you, you can deposit it and wait for it to clear but you can't cash it out. What happens if that check bounces and the bank simply gave you cash in hand? The bank is out the money, not you. In this case because it's a bank cashier check, it looks legit, the bank will let you cash it (I'm guessing here, maybe some banks won't, that or most people actually have that amount of money in their account any way) and when the thing gets returned then the bank has to get their money from somebody - that somebody is the person who cashed the check.

Any bank experts please feel free to chime in. Again, there's no such thing as free money and I believe in KARMA too much to even bother with this!

My one says BRAP!

I'm SUCH a square....
    DUH!!! SCAM FROM HELL!!!

judge joe brown does about 3 of these a week. the check is FFFAAAKKKEEE!!!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Dont

I heard something about this scam on TV where you go shopping at stores and whatever ,but it is a scam for sure! This is a big thing happening all over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    DUH!!! SCAM FROM HELL!!!

judge joe brown does about 3 of these a week. the check is FFFAAAKKKEEE!!!

So in this case the bank expert is actually someone who watches a lot of day time television.

My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    They went as far as to send me a money order. Smelling a scam I took it to the bank and told them to cash it, but not to give me the money until it cleared. Sure enoug hthey called me a few days later to say that it was bogus. Had I taken the cash, it would have come out of my account/ grocery store would have required ID and kept your license numbe on file until it cleared.

Total scam, you lose.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mikeb
    it's kind of O/T, but here's where somebody had fun with these kind of lowlife scumbag a$$holes...

http://www.thescambaiter.com/forum/s...hp?t=109&pp=25

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    There is nothing for free. The check is bad ... it's a scam. Contact the post office. They can help get a report filed and try to track down the people who started it ... there was another scam where the post office investigated and got the people mailing the checks for mail fraud.

mtbr member
    my god i can't stop laughing mikeb props on finding that my stomache and sides are splitting
    lol

banned
    Mar 2005
    when you cash that cheque, it's returned to the issuer who will get your account and transit numbers.

very easy to set up an automatic withdrawal after that

mtbr member
    that story is hillarious. don't quite have enough free time to mess with folks like that so I may just throw it all out...
    My one says BRAP!

Members who have read this thread: 0