How's everyone managing the pandemic right now?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

How's everyone managing the pandemic right now?

We're 8 months in, and case are surging unfortunately. However, a vaccine may be in sight.

Everyone hanging in there? Not looking for a political bent in this thread by the way.

I'm bummed about the lack of daylight for riding after work, and thought about returning to the gym but am now hesitant.

It's all very exhausting indeed but we'll get there.
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

mtbr member
    Nothing changed for me. I'm just glad its not 100 degrees anymore.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Yeah itís clearly heading up across the country. Going to be a rough 5 months or so if you ask me.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best
    Round and round we go

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Nothing changed for me. I'm just glad its not 100 degrees anymore.
    this pretty much sums it up for me too...

I have had more time to ride for sure, which is good. But I am in introvert/loner by nature, so day to day ops have not really changed much at all

fall and winter are my most favorite times of year, so that is exciting as well
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Working at home which is probably more efficient than in the office. The other day we had a Teams meeting with people across Canada and South Africa, I was remote connecting to my desktop in the office which has the 3D model software on it, I was sharing that screen on my personal computer with everyone in the meeting. And it worked.

Financially I'm better off due to less expenses.

Emotionally I'm probably worse off because I know this isn't just going to be a "Covid-19 comes out then a year later we get a vaccine and shortly after return to normal." situation. I think the people who believe that are in for an ugly surprise.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post

Financially I'm better off due to less expenses.
    same here...been lucky to have kept my job...and less going out in gas, food expense, general expenditures...

Emotionally I'm probably worse off because I know this isn't just going to be a "Covid-19 comes out then a year later we get a vaccine and shortly after return to normal." situation. I think the people who believe that are in for an ugly surprise.
    such truth!!! much YES!!!

LET IT SNOW!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    What pandemic?

My entire county has has only about 100 cases and a total of one death (an 85 year old man in bad health). The 'official' count is 700, but that includes the state prison. The prisoners are not infecting anybody outside, so county officials are not alarmed.

Pretty much no change in life here.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

One ring to mash them all
    Still doing smart things. Just part of the routine at this point.
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Real eyes realize real lies.

beater
    We are definitely bummed about the MTB season wrapping up. But we have studded tires on the fatbikes, new BC skis, and a Tacx trainer. My fiancť isnít much of a winter sports person but she says sheís going to HTFU this year.

mtbr member
    I've been working since the beginning (aerospace machinist = essential .)
    8 months in and I know 3 people that tested positive. (One was my 91 year old Great Aunt, who fully recovered.) Luckily, I don't know anyone who was hospitalized or died from Covid. God willing, it remains that way.

Got a lot of riding in, but that would have happened without Covid. I also recently built up a gravel bike, with sloppy winter weather conditions in mind. Important takeaway: building a bike in the middle of a pandemic can be a challenge.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CEO Product Failure
    Our (wife & I) behavior hasn't changed since April. We work from home, we remain isolated, we ride outdoors in the off-hours and on unpopular/far away trails to avoid people. We Zwift a lot. We have not seen any family or friends since pre-Covid. Our groceries get delivered. We get take-out from restaurants offering curbside service only.

Regarding the gym, I used to work for Golds. The pandemic forced 10 Golds gyms in my city to close permanently. From my conversations with former co-workers, I would recommend against returning to the gym until there's a vaccine.

With the recent pandemic surge, we now have friends, family and coworkers who have contracted Covid. For the last week, everyday there are 2+ more people we know who have it. Up until now, we only knew friends-of-friends (think 6 degrees of separation) who had contracted it.

My hometown was really not impacted by Covid until late July. Up until July, they had fewer than 200 covid cases. The news this week is they are approaching 20k cases--with 1400 of them occurring just on Monday. Its worrisome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Our (wife & I) behavior hasn't changed since April. We work from home, we remain isolated, we ride outdoors in the off-hours and on unpopular/far away trails to avoid people. We Zwift a lot. We have not seen any family or friends since pre-Covid. Our groceries get delivered. We get take-out from restaurants offering curbside service only.

Regarding the gym, I used to work for Golds. The pandemic forced 10 Golds gyms in my city to close permanently. From my conversations with former co-workers, I would recommend against returning to the gym until there's a vaccine.

With the recent pandemic surge, we now have friends, family and coworkers who have contracted Covid. For the last week, everyday there are 2+ more people we know who have it. Up until now, we only knew friends-of-friends (think 6 degrees of separation) who had contracted it.

My hometown was really not impacted by Covid until late July. Up until July, they had fewer than 200 covid cases. The news this week is they are approaching 20k cases--with 1400 of them occurring just on Monday. Its worrisome.
    Interesting. Of those people you know that have it, do they show symptoms or is it just a positive test result, or both?

mtbr member
    It's getting worse here again.

We're very lucky that we can all work/learn from home. I'm very fortunate to have my family and feel bad for my brother and sister who live alone. This is just depressing to have it go this way.

Unfortunately, it's going to be too windy and nasty for riding and not enough snow yet for skiing. If they even open the ski resorts this winter. We should be able to go snowshoeing pretty soon since the mountains are starting to build up a snowpack.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Rides all the bikes!
    No change for me. I am not a social person. I almost always ride alone. I run with my GF, but we also do other indoor activities. My work never stopped, we just wear masks. Only bummer is all the closed off bathrooms for my bike road rides (I did 140 miles yesterday). Worse yet was the fire conditions keeping forests closed most of the summer.

I know a lot of people who have had Covid, but no deaths. A friend just lost a former patient of hers who apparently had no comorbidities (she was his doctor).

Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    I've been working since the beginning (aerospace machinist = essential .)
    Ha! I am also in aerospace, and I am still confused on how building parts for 787, A350, etc is "essential".

RAKC
    It's been kind of annoying haven't been able to take the kids to do stuff. New aquarium things like that. Mask mandates are annoying as well (making sure you always have one). But haven't lost a single say of work. Haven't gotten to ride as much though, got hit by a drunk driver back in May on my way to the bike shop (was in my car thank god). Messed my back and shoulder up.

My wife is hanging on by a thread mentally though. She works from home with both kids virtual learning. Surprised someone isnt dead yet.

The big plus side, we spent the summer weekends out doing outdoor activities. The stuff I love doing. Now kids and wife see what they have been missing so that has helped. But coming into fall/winter, this could get interesting being able to do nothing because none of us are winter activity people except for me and my fat bike.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    We've really limited our interactions and are staying within our bubble of no masks. We're also being very mask conscious when out of the bubble.

My grand daughter had a snotty nose and cold-like symptoms about ten days ago. Lo and behold my wife and I ended up coming down with something a few days ago. While I KNEW it was a head cold, I stayed home from work as a precaution. My work then insisted I get a COVID test. My wife and I got our tests on Tuesday afternoon and today received a COVID Neg, a Flu A neg. and a Flu B neg. result.

So far, so good. Be safe y'all!
    "...provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare."

No known cure
    I've been traveling. Recently was Ireland, got home and drove to Sedona to ride. Prescott too. In a week I leave for the Dominican Republic for a surf trip. The local ski resorts will be in full swing by the time I get back.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I've been traveling. Recently was Ireland, got home and drove to Sedona to ride. Prescott too. In a week I leave for the Dominican Republic for a surf trip. The local ski resorts will be in full swing by the time I get back.
    I've ridden in Sedona before, but Prescott looks very interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    We've really limited our interactions and are staying within our bubble of no masks. We're also being very mask conscious when out of the bubble.

My grand daughter had a snotty nose and cold-like symptoms about ten days ago. Lo and behold my wife and I ended up coming down with something a few days ago. While I KNEW it was a head cold, I stayed home from work as a precaution. My work then insisted I get a COVID test. My wife and I got our tests on Tuesday afternoon and today received a COVID Neg, a Flu A neg. and a Flu B neg. result.

So far, so good. Be safe y'all!
    Great to know that you're doing well Chuck. Stay safe!

beater
    Interesting. Of those people you know that have it, do they show symptoms or is it just a positive test result, or both?
    Our positivity numbers are high, so it doesnít surprise me that everyone has know who tested positive had (has) symptoms. Thatís whatís driving most of the testing here, Iím afraid.

Some report itís like a bad flu, but I know one who was in ICU twice, and it was touch-and-go.

mtbr member
    Like others, I'm lucky/blessed enough to have kept my job. I've been working 100% from home since February 27th or something like that.

Because of that my expenses have gone down a bit (less driving... but not much, I only drove to the bus stop before). Time with kids has gone up, and so has my help around the house during the day (my 2yr old only lets me put him down for naps now).

My wife struggled really hard with depression for a lot of the early stages of pandemic, but we were already in the process of figuring out the medication, and I think we may have finally figured out a good combination for her. My working from home has also enabled her to start fitting exersize into her schedule every day, as I can watch the kids for an hour in the morning. So I think that helps as well.

I've only known 4 people personally who have had Covid. All have said that it "really sucks", but have survived without hospitalization. So I'm going to keep working from home as long as I can. I'm in no hurry to get COVID.

Definitely have been doing less traveling/hanging out with people, but otherwise not much has changed in my day to day life.

We did do some traveling to see family when things were "light" this summer. Managed to shove my bike into the car along with all the kid stuff/luggage, and got to do a fair bit of riding. I think roughly 1/4 - 1/3 of my mileage this year came from the few weeks of vacation. Was interesting to ride somewhere else, and have to learn how another place handles trail building, and their dirt/etc.

I personally have been really enjoying playing video games with my buddies each night after the kids/wife have gone to bed. Its a easy way to stay connected with a core group of friends, in a way that doesn't really feel all that different than it did before COVID.

mtbr member
    I should really start playing more bass to keep my sanity.

since 4/10/2009
    effectively "lost" my job when covid started, and nothing substantial has changed there. have an interview tomorrow, but I've had a couple that went nowhere, so I'm not holding my breath.

social interaction has been minimal. I have a bubble of people I'm willing to socialize with, but it's small, and we get together infrequently.

for me, still only friends-of-friends who have been catching covid. though one friend lost her mother from it the other day.

my riding has gone down the tubes this year. lately, it's been because my dog has separation anxiety and has hurt himself when left alone long enough for me to ride. We got him into a program to address it, and we can't leave him alone for at least a month now while he's in the program. he's still too young and unreliable off-leash to ride with him. that's hopeful goal for us, but it's going to take awhile to achieve, I think. we're working on off-leash training right now, and he's good if there are no distractions. but he loves people and other dogs, and he has a pretty serious prey drive, and the trails around here are too much for him in that regard right now.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    That's it, time to get in the groove.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Or more bass fishing.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Or more bass fishing.
    That might be fun. I've accidentally caught bass while trout fishing, but never went after them specifically. It's pretty dark, wet, and windy now for fishing anyway.

Cycologist
    I'm fortunate that I still have my job while many, many in my industry don't. We had to cut a few people and everyone took a 10% salary reduction, no 401K match and there will be no end of the year bonuses. But we've been able to pivot with work in a new format from our biggest client and a few new clients and have a good schedule of work in place for the rest of this year and most of next year. I've been slow lately but I'm probably about to be slammed.

I've ridden only once a week and I've been going further out to less crowded trails exploring some new areas, which I've really enjoyed. I'm hoping the colder weather (if it ever gets here) will scare off all the fair-weather riders on my local trails.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    It sucks.
    I'm thankful that my job has been going non-stop the entire time but haven't seen my parents on Long Island in almost a year and that really sucks.
    My daughter graduated HS and missed a senior trip, prom, and any semblance of a normal Senior year. My other daughter is a Senior this year and chances are it'll be the same.
    I don't care either way, I'm approaching my mid-50's, healthy and have lived a good life, but hate it for all of the young people.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Snow Dog
    truer words have not been said!!!!!

I will join you!! Bass on night A, drums on night B, ride on night C...rinse, repeat

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    It sucks.
    I'm thankful that my job has been going non-stop the entire time but haven't seen my parents on Long Island in almost a year and that really sucks.
    My daughter graduated HS and missed a senior trip, prom, and any semblance of a normal Senior year. My other daughter is a Senior this year and chances are it'll be the same.
    I don't care either way, I'm approaching my mid-50's, healthy and have lived a good life, but hate it for all of the young people.
    For sure. Older ppl, especially non social adults and whatnot are fine, as long as they can pay the bills. For kids it sucks big time. Younger kids now have active shooter drills and plexiglass, mask wearing, separation things going on at school for now. Crazy days indeed
    Round and round we go

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    truer words have not been said!!!!!

I will join you!! Bass on night A, drums on night B, ride on night C...rinse, repeat
    I've been alternating stick control one night and 4-way the next... What? They're drum books!

I am fortunate to have my job still. One of our biggest events is going on now through December. It's an outdoor Christmas light type exhibit. But it's very likely the city will initiate new restrictions, as we've has quite the spike here. That's worrying to me. It's the right thing to do, but unfortunately it's because people refused to get their act together before now. However, I work for a non profit, so hopefully donations and endowments are relatively secure, as well as the grant money that funds our research. Time will tell.

I know two people who've had covid, younger males. One was just fine, one still had symptoms a month out. I'm thankful that I don't yet have any close family members that have had it. I have been pretty careful and mostly interact with a small group of folks I trust, some of which I have to work with in person anyway. That part is not too hard, really. It's also nice not spending money at the bar, but I end up putting extra (on top of the already extra) down on student loans or buying books or CDs.
    dang

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I've been alternating stick control one night and 4-way the next... What? They're drum books!
    YEP!!! Stick Control is the Bible of drumming - I have been through it at least 4 times in my life: once with matched grip; once with traditional grip; once split up around the set (that took about 2 years) and currently using it with just my feet to work my double bass chops

All of my students get that book in about 7th grade, and then we go!

I did 4 Way back in my early 20's...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Take at least 3000 IU's of vitamin D a day, and zinc tablets too. If you do catch it you can do a protocol of Ivermectin which can be obtained from veterinary supply places as horse dewormer. You'll also want either doxycycline or azithromycin which are zinc ionophores bringing it into the cell where it interferes with viral activity. But a doctor isn't allowed to prescribe that to you for Covid so you'll need to find it somewhere else. With these the risk of serious complications, or even most any symptoms at all, dwindles to not much more than a common cold. If you can't or don't want to access the antibiotics then at least vitamin D + zinc prophylactically will make a big difference.

But don't believe me, do your own research (preferably using Duckduckgo, not Google)! If it wasn't for possibly infecting my mother I'd have no fear at all about this virus. The goal here is fear and social decay so don't give in to it!

slow
    Things are going well here. We were deemed non-essential by the state in April and May, but pent up demand and low interest rates allowed us to catch up in the months since we became "essential" again and we are on track to finish the year ahead of last year. Wife's job hasn't changed because she works with developmentally disabled adults who still require care no matter what is happening. She is actually working more and picking up overtime since the day programs are shut down and the residential folks are having to cover the homes during the additional times.

My wife's best friend and her husband and 2 daughters in their 20's have COVID, as do my niece and her boyfriend who are also in their 20's. So far all are showing symptoms, but no hospitalizations.

We are traveling less than normal and when we have escaped town it was to remote locations in Utah and SW Colorado away from people.

I have ridden much less this year than in recent years, but that is more likely due to a combination of a super busy summer at work and forest fires closing our nearby trails for over 2 months than to the pandemic. I miss the social aspect of occasional group rides we used to do, but am still riding with a couple of friends. We don't really socialize after the rides though.

Some house projects are getting done and we are saving some money by not going out to eat much.

Cycologist
    It sucks.
    Yeah, my son graduated high school and my daughter college. He's off at college and says him and his roommate are the only ones in his dorm he knows that haven't caught it. My daughter is at home with us, she found a work from home job with a non-profit she loves and is is scheduled to be leaving for Berlin in January on a research grant and then will return for grad school in the fall.

It's actually worked out well for my wife as she's been working online. She is an interpreter for our school district and would often have to drive a ways for a meeting that lasted an hour and she doesn't get paid for drive time so she'd sometimes turn down the gig if it was too far. Which is dumb because then the school has to hire an interpreter through an agency at a much higher rate that would have more than covered her drive time. She also teaches private lessons so she's been a zoom-zooming those as well.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Riding daily for the most part and working, but not going out in public unless necessary for the most part other than the occasional grocery outing.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

9 lives
    Our community cases are on the rise as the second wave is now in full swing. I work in a large Toronto Hospital in the long term care department managing two 34 bed units. On the acute side of the hospital there is a unit reserved totally for Covid cases to receive surge patients and currently there are a few Covid infected patients are in ICU. Since the pandemic started in December we've managed to keep the virus from spreading to our LTC veterans (average age is 96) with strict measures and protocols. I want to keep it that way.

Some staff report having covid exposure, they go for testing stay home and wait for results. So far none of my staff have been infected (I have 88 direct reports) I do however have staff who have had family members succumb to covid. One of my staff nurse's reported that her mom got the virus in March, recovered and then got re-exposed a few weeks ago. She was hospitalized and died. So yes... you can get this virus twice

I got my annual flu shot last week because flu is also active in the community and I don't want to spread it.

Outside work I don't physically socialize with anyone. I communicate through social media and phone. Grocery shop twice per week and order things on line. I keep my sanity with daily running (I'm racking up an average of 70km/wk... I have long surpassed last year's total distance) daily crossfit workouts in our basement home gym and I ride twice per week on unpopular trails. I'm fully prepared for winter riding, and running. On a positive note, this is the fittest I've ever been

After a few months of postponement my mom's cancer surgery was rescheduled and she is recovering very nicely. She's 87 and a tough cookie. My husband's parents who live in their own home are both stable but frail (she's 92 and he's 96) and on a waiting list for a nursing home.

Keeping active through physical fitness, clean diet and mental positivity has kept me going strong. It's going to be a long winter. Wear a mask, keep social distance and sanitize your hands... protect others
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    It's going to be a long winter.
    Ugh.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    On the bright side looking forward to spring. With vaccines starting to stop the spread and longer warmer days.
    In the meantime wish ppl would stop acting foolishly and selfishly with traveling and socializing for the sake of.
    Would much rather have a boring winter than a deadly one.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was remote connecting to my desktop in the office which has the 3D model software on it, I was sharing that screen on my personal computer with everyone in the meeting. And it worked.
    Welcome to modern world!

I've also been working from home the whole pandemic. We're involved with a number of the companies spearheading the COVID response, including some of the Warp Speed projects, so we've been busy as shit. It is nice to see a lot of people come around to the value of working remotely, particularly managers. I plan to do as much of it as possible for the remainder of my career.

Besides work, been helping out with my HS sophomore's remote learning. He hasn't been to school since March and he's loving it. Bangs out his work by lunch and then he's off riding or working on his motos/ATVs; clocked well over 200 hours engine hours so far this year, and counting.

I haven't been riding all that much, but have put a ton of work into my local pumptrack. So many more people riding this year; I see more kids down there in a weekend now than I used to in a month during normal times.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Professional Crastinator
    I am not one to stay home much. So I've been at work, driving my daughter to her sports practices (yup, they're doing that), social distancing on the bike, dining out at particular venues that maintain a decent level of spacing and cleanliness, and still enjoying the occasional social outing (with certain conscientious friends). = not much of a change.

...EXCEPT FOR at home; we try to stay clear of eachother since we all spend most of our time in 3 separate outside groups within work/school. I am actually surprised one of us hasn't brought home covid (from either the school, the hospital, or the factory), but we are being quite cautious as we try to maintain normal levels of activity. There have been many students isolated at the school, but only a few positive cases (except for the volleyball team, for some reason). So it sounds like that strategy is working. We visit our 80+ yo parents, at a distance. The kids have had birthday parties, at a distance (mostly). Most of the people I know are not hiding. They are being responsible and practical; staying clean; avoiding close contact with people; wearing masks; and isolating if they even think they met up with someone sick. It's not going away soon, so might as well learn to function in this new environment.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    YEP!!! Stick Control is the Bible of drumming - I have been through it at least 4 times in my life: once with matched grip; once with traditional grip; once split up around the set (that took about 2 years) and currently using it with just my feet to work my double bass chops

All of my students get that book in about 7th grade, and then we go!

I did 4 Way back in my early 20's...
    I was taught rudimental by my father way back when, and he was well-trained and well-respected, and hard as balls on us.

So, all of my books were purely rudimental instruction. John Pratt, Charlie Wilcoxin to name a few at fairly advanced levels. All traditional grip and plenty of state solo competitions.

mtbr member
    It's nice to hear everyone's updates, the good and the scary. That's the nature of our current situation

We've known a few people who've contracted COVID and all are recovered. Just trying to keep it away from the more vulnerable, such as aging parents. Thanksgiving will not be in the cards for us, so we'll have it with our 2 (somewhat) older kids. We had plans to visit older relatives but decided not to afterall.

Looks like it's time to invest in a good trainer since the gym (indoor cycling) may not be a wise move after reading the posts here.

Meatbomb
    The goal here is fear and social decay so don't give in to it!
    Sounds like you've bought into that conspiracy ....

well mannered lout
    When I sold my place in Vermont I was committing to the idea that there isn't really another place that suited me better than the home we had built here in CT. Covid has tested and confirmed that notion. Besides some time apart from some of the family when they've been exposed and the hassle of getting Chickie through distance-learning, the rhythm of our lives has been upset very little.

EDIT: The fear and social decay, right!? Wow.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

mtbr member
    I'm stocking up on bourbon, chocolate and frozen pizza for the extended lockdown.
    See you in 15 pounds!

mtbr member
    Not much has changed for me pre/post pandemic. My circle of friends is small and we are reasonably antisocial. I try and maintain social distance even with them although we don't mask. I wear my mask in public, not out of fear, but because some local cities require them and most stores do as well in municipalities that don't.

Work has been crazy since the start of it all. Business is way up. We are in food related products, mostly consumer level, so with everyone staying home it has really boosted demand. I don't spend as much time on the floor and more time in my office as to stay away from folks, and we are really careful as a company. People in other plants have been terminated for not following procedures, one a 39 year employee(allowed to retire).

Riding more than ever, not a gym goer anymore and have the stuff at home to get in rudimentary workouts. Have been fighting elbow tendonitis all year so no upper body work. I did sign up for Zwift and have the bare minimum to get by on that, but really eying the smart trainers. Also looking at another bike, but don't know if I want gravel or fat...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It has had a minimal impact to me. Minimal in the sense there are others who've made a greater sacrifice than me.

I work from home and have since the first day California went on lockdown, 3/19/20.
    I do not have kids to raise or home-school. Many (most) of my coworkers are also working from home while raising a family all day long.

I stay smart and do not go places unless I need to. That's just me anyway though. I do miss roaming around Costco or a few other favorite stores.
    I ride alone. I mostly prefer it but do miss the group rides that we have all year long. I won't ride night along but we used to do a once a week night ride too.

My area only had issues with groceries at the very beginning. Since then I've never gone grocery shopping and not been able to get food I want.
    I am now stocked up for a few weeks minimum. I shop every 2 weeks, which I haven't done for years. I used to buy what I wanted and cooked it that day. Repeat.

I do not know personally of anybody who has contracted COVID.
    Our office is closed, I work for a global company and they have strict guidelines as to when any offices can be opened. Some regions meet the criteria and they can choose to go to work or stay home.

There are things I miss, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not worth whining about when others have it not as good.

I did take a trip for a big birthday milestone. I went alone. Stayed in a cottage. Only met people for breakfast that is provided (B&B type). Dining was spread out and had a span of a few hours to allow people to come in when they wanted. No hotel or indoor environment (except breakfast) where people would be. It was a little too cold to eat breakfast outside. I rode my bike for 5 hours alone up to 9,000' and enjoyed the heck out of it. Great birthday in a pandemic doing what I enjoyed. I would not have had a gathering had I stayed home anyway, so at least I was able to get away from my computer after working a few 60 hour weeks, 39 straight work days.

I travelled about 4 hours away. No stops on the way there. One gas stop before coming home. Two restaurants to pick up take out. I would have preferred to stay but isn't worth the risk to me to sit with people while on vacation and MAYBE get sick.

I found out that the company may not allow us in the U.S. to open offices until April. I'm fine working at home, I can do my job well from here.

I have a roof over my head. I pay my bills. I have a job. I am healthy. I stay in touch with family/friends via calls/text.
    I have 2 bikes that work. It doesn't snow here, I can still get a weekend ride in and maybe sneak away to get a weekday ride in sometimes.

Aside from missing a few little things, I'm able to make the best of it. It gets frustrating at times but then I remember the above things that separates me from others less fortunate (no job, etc).

Good thread!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I'm stocking up on bourbon, chocolate and frozen pizza for the extended lockdown.
    See you in 15 pounds!
    don't forget the tortilla chips and nacho cheese sauce. that stuff will last forever.

well mannered lout
    Will there be a second wave quarantine activities thread or will we be continuing the first one?

mtbr member
    I was invited to a group ride with the local club last weekend. I declined. I'm glad that I did because my son's baseball coach tested positive after they had practice.

Now that we're having a La Nina year, I really hope that the ski areas open up. It's starting to shape up for a great snow season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Sounds like you've bought into that conspiracy ....
    They aren't even hiding it anymore.

The Great Fascist Reset

There is lots of very strong evidence coming out that having enough vitamin D is critical to fighting this off and even preventing any symptoms from showing. Most people are deficient and it is needed to activate the T cell response. It seems that's why the deaths in Sweden have gone down to about 3 people a day (edit: more like 10) now even though they have NEVER had ANY lockdown in place through this pandemic. Their constitution forbids the government from taking away peoples' freedom of movement so they have never had a lockdown. What they do is require that foods be fortified with extra Vitamin D. This may explain why we are seeing a second wave elsewhere now, because the winter weather is keeping people out of the sun contributing to Vitamin D deficiency.

The Eastern Virginia Medical School has put out a treatment and prophylaxis protocol. Why is it that NONE of this is being conveyed to the public (but it is in other poorer countries not controlled by Big Pharma)? Why haven't you heard about it? Why are you simply being ordered to cower in your basement, be scared, wear a mask and wait for a vaccine (the "Fauci protocol" LOL)? Why don't you take more control of your own situation?

I was talking to a doctor from the US the other day and apparently they have enacted a federal law BANNING the use of hydroxychloroquine for Covid. Never before has a law been passed to ban a medication. Despite the extremely positive successes India has been having with it, and its safe history with as far as I know, no death ever attributed to the medicine ( I may be wrong by 1 or 2 cases, but it is a very safe medicine when used properly).

Buckle up people, and wake up, we're in for a ride and I suggest loading up on Vitamin D.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Eastern Virginia Medical School
    Ummmm, there's a Virginia and a West Virginia, but Virginia, there ain't no East Virginia. You know there's not a vaccine for stupid right...not that you'd take it anyway.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Ummmm, there's a Virginia and a West Virginia, but Virginia, there ain't no East Virginia. You know there's not a vaccine for stupid right...not that you'd take it anyway.
    It's in Norfolk which is in eastern Virginia

https://www.evms.edu/

mtbr member
    It's in Norfolk which is in eastern Virginia

https://www.evms.edu/
    Fake news.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Fake news.
    Might need a dose yourself.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I get my vitamin D from Photonucleic Effect. I don't need a supplement.

I feel I have traveled more this year than in years past. I have gone to southern Cali desert, San Diego three times, Seattle four times, Colorado twice, and might head up to Colorado again before the end of the year. And guess what? I have been tested and not sick.

mtbr member
    Sunshine the best dose for vitamin d
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Since I work outside and its been sunny every day for the most part since march I have had my dosage and then some.

beater
    I was invited to a group ride with the local club last weekend. I declined. I'm glad that I did because my son's baseball coach tested positive after they had practice.

Now that we're having a La Nina year, I really hope that the ski areas open up. It's starting to shape up for a great snow season.
    Same. We have passes at a small ski area. Iím hoping weíll be able to tailgate and avoid the lodge, and the lines are never long there. Once weíre on the backside you basically ski to the lift and load. But we just bought backcountry AT setups to continue to play if conditions shut down the ski areas.

And I just brought our fatbikes home with fresh Wrathchildren mounted. If itís icy/muddy weíll ride- if itís soft and deep weíll ski.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Same. We have passes at a small ski area. Iím hoping weíll be able to tailgate and avoid the lodge, and the lines are never long there. Once weíre on the backside you basically ski to the lift and load. But we just bought backcountry AT setups to continue to play if conditions shut down the ski areas.

And I just brought our fatbikes home with fresh Wrathchildren mounted. If itís icy/muddy weíll ride- if itís soft and deep weíll ski.
    Having an avalanche come way too close to comfort once, I'm pretty sketched out about B/C skiing.

beater
    Having an avalanche come way too close to comfort once, I'm pretty sketched out about B/C skiing.
    I hear you. Weíre into low angle touring and light meadowskipping.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I am not one to stay home much. So I've been at work, driving my daughter to her sports practices (yup, they're doing that), social distancing on the bike, dining out at particular venues that maintain a decent level of spacing and cleanliness, and still enjoying the occasional social outing (with certain conscientious friends). = not much of a change.

...EXCEPT FOR at home; we try to stay clear of eachother since we all spend most of our time in 3 separate outside groups within work/school. I am actually surprised one of us hasn't brought home covid (from either the school, the hospital, or the factory), but we are being quite cautious as we try to maintain normal levels of activity. There have been many students isolated at the school, but only a few positive cases (except for the volleyball team, for some reason). So it sounds like that strategy is working. We visit our 80+ yo parents, at a distance. The kids have had birthday parties, at a distance (mostly). Most of the people I know are not hiding. They are being responsible and practical; staying clean; avoiding close contact with people; wearing masks; and isolating if they even think they met up with someone sick. It's not going away soon, so might as well learn to function in this new environment.

-F
    weird...at my school, we have had 24 cases of COVID total...and 20 of those were the girls v-ball team...found out that they were having sleep overs after Saturday games and doing other stupid stuff...

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I was taught rudimental by my father way back when, and he was well-trained and well-respected, and hard as balls on us.

So, all of my books were purely rudimental instruction. John Pratt, Charlie Wilcoxin to name a few at fairly advanced levels. All traditional grip and plenty of state solo competitions.
    same here!! I still have my dads versions of those books, as well as my own...the Pratt book is still on our State solo list, so all of my kids play Drum Corps on Parade, or Gingersnap, or My Freind Norman at some point in their career

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    See you in 15 pounds!
    so for me it is iced tea, Texas toast garlic bread and pesto, and Smarties..

figure I will keep the weight balanced with riding!!

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    I hear you. Weíre into low angle touring and light meadowskipping.
    I wish we had more low-angle terrain around here for that. I'm a bit surprised that the mountains here can even hold any snow with their extreme steepness.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's everyone managing the pandemic right now?-washington-pass.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm going to hike up the local mountain here in North Vancouver tonight then take the gondola back down, if it's open. Otherwise hike back down. It's a bit tight in the gondola but they have all the windows open. Lots of fresh snow in the past 2 days so it should be nice!

beater
    I wish we had more low-angle terrain around here for that. I'm a bit surprised that the mountains here can even hold any snow with their extreme steepness.

Yeah, thatís steep. We have it all here. We both bought fishscaled skis. Voile for me, Rossi for her. While we have skins, weíll mostly use them for touring on MTB trails and terrain. Or getting out with friend who snow surf.

mtbr member
    Yeah, thatís steep. We have it all here. We both bought fishscaled skis. Voile for me, Rossi for her. While we have skins, weíll mostly use them for touring on MTB trails and terrain. Or getting out with friend who snow surf.
    Yeah, I need to replace the binding on one of my XC skis. They are fishscaled touring skis. It's been too long since I've used them and this winter should be great for it.

mtbr member
    Nothing much has changed for me. I was practically a hermit before this began anyway. We have groceries delivered, and get carry out instead of dining out. I've always worked from home, but the mrs works from home now too. Pretty lucky in that regard. Don't have much of a reason to go anywhere, besides to go for a ride. I do miss the occasional group ride gang. Still debating about doing solo night rides this winter... spooky.

I know people who've been sick, ranging from mild to hospitalized to long-haul, but no one I know personally has died or been on a ventilator...yet. They all say "it sucks, don't get it!" though. My dad and step mom have had several friends die from it. They were even directly exposed by a couple that later died, but by pure luck, they never caught it.

If anyone is interested, my dad's doctor prescribes this as an immune system booster:

1. Vitamin C 550 mg twice a day
    2. Quercetin 250-500 mg twice a day
    3. Vitamin D3 1000-4000 u/day (optimal dose unknown)
    4. Zinc 75-100 mg/day (acetate, gluconate or picolinate) after 1-2 months reduce dose.
    5. Melatonin (slow release) 0.3 mg/night, increasing to 1-2 mg/night as tolerated.

I need to get a flu shot still...

mtbr member
    ...and 20 of those were the girls v-ball team...found out that they were having sleep overs after Saturday games and doing other stupid stuff...
    Would you please feel free to elaborate on the "other stupid stuff?"
    (I'm asking for Picard. )

mtbr member
    Being in NZ life is pretty much normal for the most part, it's easy to forget how bad it is in other places. Biggest downer is having a sister in CO who we can't visit and who is struggling to get back here to meet our second child and to visit the rest of the family. She gave up trying to get home for Christmas, hopefully she'll get back for dads 80th mid next year, and by that stage her hubbys visa should be sorted so he can come too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I still have a job. I can still ride my bike on weekends. The US has officially reach pandamic level. The virus has gone out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    The US has officially reach pandamic level. The virus has gone out of control.
    But as long as you stay in Canada you should be goodÖ

mtbr member
    Would you please free to elaborate on the "other stupid stuff?"

Naked pillow fights and scissoring. Fact
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Cycologist
    They aren't even hiding it anymore.

The Great Fascist Reset

There is lots of very strong evidence coming out that having enough vitamin D is critical to fighting this off and even preventing any symptoms from showing. Most people are deficient and it is needed to activate the T cell response. It seems that's why the deaths in Sweden have gone down to about 3 people a day (edit: more like 10) now even though they have NEVER had ANY lockdown in place through this pandemic. Their constitution forbids the government from taking away peoples' freedom of movement so they have never had a lockdown. What they do is require that foods be fortified with extra Vitamin D. This may explain why we are seeing a second wave elsewhere now, because the winter weather is keeping people out of the sun contributing to Vitamin D deficiency.

The Eastern Virginia Medical School has put out a treatment and prophylaxis protocol. Why is it that NONE of this is being conveyed to the public (but it is in other poorer countries not controlled by Big Pharma)? Why haven't you heard about it? Why are you simply being ordered to cower in your basement, be scared, wear a mask and wait for a vaccine (the "Fauci protocol" LOL)? Why don't you take more control of your own situation?

I was talking to a doctor from the US the other day and apparently they have enacted a federal law BANNING the use of hydroxychloroquine for Covid. Never before has a law been passed to ban a medication. Despite the extremely positive successes India has been having with it, and its safe history with as far as I know, no death ever attributed to the medicine ( I may be wrong by 1 or 2 cases, but it is a very safe medicine when used properly).

Buckle up people, and wake up, we're in for a ride and I suggest loading up on Vitamin D.
    Your own source states:

Not recommended: Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ). The use of HCQ is extremely controversial.[95]
    The best scientific evidence to date suggests that HCQ has no proven benefit for post exposure
    prophylaxis, for the early symptomatic phase and in hospitalized patients. [96-110] Considering
    the unique pharmacokinetics of HCQ, it is unlikely that HCQ would be of benefit in patients with
    COVID-19 infection (it takes 5-10 days to achieve adequate plasma and lung
    concentrations).[105,111-113] Finally, it should be recognized that those studies which are
    widely promoted to support the use of HCQ are severly methodologically flawed.[114-117]

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_publ...9_Protocol.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Naked pillow fights and scissoring. Fact
    Need Nicole to weigh in on this.

mtbr member
    Made it up and the trip down the gondola was pretty sketchy with all the wind

How's everyone managing the pandemic right now?-20201113_172116.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Your own source states:

Not recommended: Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ). The use of HCQ is extremely controversial.[95]
    The best scientific evidence to date suggests that HCQ has no proven benefit for post exposure
    prophylaxis, for the early symptomatic phase and in hospitalized patients. [96-110] Considering
    the unique pharmacokinetics of HCQ, it is unlikely that HCQ would be of benefit in patients with
    COVID-19 infection (it takes 5-10 days to achieve adequate plasma and lung
    concentrations).[105,111-113] Finally, it should be recognized that those studies which are
    widely promoted to support the use of HCQ are severly methodologically flawed.[114-117]

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_publ...9_Protocol.pdf
    Thanks, I didn't see that. It's true that HCQ is extremely controversial. It really needs to be given before infection or immediately after symptoms show up. The studies showing that it doesn't work give it to patients when they are already hospitalized (look through the references in the above quote and you'll see that), and by that time it's too late since the virus has already spread everywhere.

What is most controversial is that the study they hold up as proof of how dangerous HCQ is gave it to fragile patients in the hospital with advanced disease and gave them a toxic dose like 5 x the recommended!! It was pure medical malpractice. Here is Dr. John Campbell talking about it at the 6:00 mark

And Chris Martenson talks about HCQ at 13:45 and 17:10

It has actually been used for many decades for malaria prevention, it's one of the most widely used drugs in history. They'll give it to you to self medicate when you go off to the Congo where there's no decent medical facilities if you get into trouble. The WHO actually put out a paper on it a few years ago before it became politicized showing studies where 35,000 people received it for malaria, with no deaths attributed to the drug.

"the oral antimalarial drugs, particularly chloroquine and piperaquine, have been used extensively with very few reports of cardiotoxicity" page 11.

"In the case of chloroquine, 10 deaths out of 23 773 participants were reported following chloroquine treatment in falciparum malaria, while no deaths were reported among 11 848 participants receiving chloroquine for vivax malaria (P < 0.01). Given that the pharmacokinetic properties of chloroquine are similar in these two malarias, it is more likely that the difference was caused by the disease rather than the drug." page 20.

https://www.who.int/malaria/mpac/mpa...t-session2.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/resource...hloroquine.pdf

I dunno man, it seems like it's being demonized because it works.

Snow Dog
    Would you please feel free to elaborate on the "other stupid stuff?"

well, I would imagine there are some "celebration antics" that go on at the sleep overs...pillow fights; prank calls; you know...innocent stuff....it is a Catholic school...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Pandemic...???

Isn't one here in good ole NZ

Those that may be ill or symptomatic are confined to death camps (just kidding)

We've had 1,998 cases w/ 25 deaths

In all seriousness, it doesn't affect day to day life in good ole middle earth.

Our government has acted quickly and effectively to contain the threat.

Hopefully the rest of the world can find a way to get things back to normal

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Pandemic...???

Hopefully the rest of the world can find a way to get things back to normal

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    Looks like a vaccine is the only lifeline that will work here in the us. And the rest of the world getting back to traveling is going to help nz get back to Ďnormalí
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Medical malpractice kills around 40,000 annually in Canada and around 250,000 in the US.
    Going to the Doctor can be risky.
    Science is a rough business.

Itís just that the alternative is worse.
    Best hedge is healthy life habits.
    So far Family, Friends, and Coworkers have prospered, but remain Vigilant.
    Most folks never consider the implication of geometric contact.
    A vaccine is the best short/long term solution because human contact is human nature.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    Not much has changed here in AZ, I believe I got it back in March and it was nasty but over very quickly. I mask up where it's required which is mostly stores, but everything else is business as normal. We eat out, play inside and outside, go tot he gym, I am surprised how many bikers in here are so worried, but then again I do get it in a way. Either way goodluck to ya'll.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Medical malpractice kills around 40,000 annually in Canada and around 250,000 in the US.
    Going to the Doctor can be risky.
    Science is a rough business.

Itís just that the alternative is worse.
    Best hedge is healthy life habits.
    So far Family, Friends, and Coworkers have prospered, but remain Vigilant.
    Most folks never consider the implication of geometric contact.
    A vaccine is the best short/long term solution because human contact is human nature.
    Those 250k malpractice deaths are a small percentage. Definitely donít want to end up in a hospital for any reason these days. Canít imagine how much that small percentage of deaths by error is going to rise with preoccupation of ppe protocol on a whole nother level, and hospitals at capacity where they are needing to ration care.
    Agree. Being vigilant is the best medicine
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    There will probably be 3 or 4 vaccines from which to choose, moving forward. One of the first could be the Pfizer mRNA variant. If your inclination is to get the first to come out, this information may not be that interesting, but MedCram is putting out a series that takes a deep dive into each of them.
    The method of immunogenicity appears to be way different from vaccines in the past and that had me a bit concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jwBxZMWrng

It appears that the mechanism for the Moderna version could be quite similar.
    Zombie apocalypse concerns aside, after watching this, I'm more comfortable with the prospect of getting the Pfizer product. I think they will cover a different vaccine every week or so.

If nothing else, they shed some light on the process of approval.

mtbr member
    These rna vaccines are interesting as hell. Amazing how smart some are on these matters
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    The problem with the vaccine as I see it is that even if the one for Covid 19 is legitimate, what happens next year if / when Covid 21 shows up? Will we be forced to take another one? Will this become a yearly forced vaccination schedule you must comply with to validate your "health" passport needed for travel and purchasing things via the new forced digital currency according to your social credit score? What else might they put in your yearly forced vaccination down the road? Does that sound ridiculous? Why? We're already half way there now.

Seems to me that the easiest cheapest and quickest solution is to advise everyone to take vitamin d and zinc etc. And those vulnerable to worse infections gets hcq prophylactically. Then lift all lockdowns and return back to normal life and let the virus run its course and we reach herd immunity. Bam, done, simple. And it doesn't require the destruction of the economy and society like they're currently doing. Sweden is proof that it can be done.

It will take a lot longer than most believe to roll out a proper vaccination program.

And just today, now that the word is getting out about vitamin d, well what did I hear on the radio...? The announcer reporting that multi vitamin supplements show no benefit for any health condition. It's getting so pathetic and blatant. I guess they couldn't come right out and tell people that vitamins are dangerous, or they'd lose all that remains of their little credibility.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The problem with the vaccine as I see it is that even if the one for Covid 19 is legitimate, what happens next year if / when Covid 21 shows up? Will we be forced to take another one? Will this become a yearly forced vaccination schedule you must comply with to validate your "health" passport needed for travel and purchasing things via the new forced digital currency according to your social credit score? What else might they put in your yearly forced vaccination down the road? Does that sound ridiculous? Why? We're already half way there now.

Seems to me that the easiest cheapest and quickest solution is to advise everyone to take vitamin d and zinc etc. And those vulnerable to worse infections gets hcq prophylactically. Then lift all lockdowns and return back to normal life and let the virus run its course and we reach herd immunity. Bam, done, simple. And it doesn't require the destruction of the economy and society like they're currently doing. Sweden is proof that it can be done.

It will take a lot longer than most believe to roll out a proper vaccination program.

And just today, now that the word is getting out about vitamin d, well what did I hear on the radio...? The announcer reporting that multi vitamin supplements show no benefit for any health condition. It's getting so pathetic and blatant. I guess they couldn't come right out and tell people that vitamins are dangerous, or they'd lose all that remains of their little credibility.
    No, sweden of not proof it can be done.

New cases are sky rocketing in Sweden, and their economy is in bad shape.
    It doesn't matter if there's a lockdown or not, people will still not go to restaurants, movies, etc, so the economy will still suffer.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    OP said he didn't want this to be political but so far nothings changed for me I'm been found to be essential but if the government doesn't leave us alone to live and die as we please I'll be unemployed soon like everyone else. we just can't shut the world down and have everyone live like nothing happened. healthy people need to go to work and sick people need to stay home.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Pandemic...???

...and also has a population that is probably willing to work with it for the safety of the masses, rather than the comfort of the individual...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    No, sweden of not proof it can be done. New cases are sky rocketing in Sweden, and their economy is in bad shape.
    Look at world o meters for Sweden. Their daily deaths went down to practically zero over the summer. Now total deaths out of 10 million people is around 10-15 per day.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

"Cases" is misleading since as seems to correlate with positive PCR tests, not actual sickness. Since the threshold for a meaningful result is around 35 cycles, and the tests I am heard are running at 40+ cycles, the results aren't reliable as they are giving a lot of false positives. So this means that the severity of the second wave is probably being over-exaggerated.

mtbr member
    Can't wait until we start seeing all of the ambulance-chaser commercials in a few years...
    'Did you receive a Covid-19 vaccine and now have a spastic colon?
    You may be eligible for our class-action lawsuit'.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Sweden has faired better than many thought they would, and worse than others.
    With our (US) current mortality rate, and a guestimated 70% immunity needed... That would be like 6 million dead before we got this beat down.

This vaccine, and likely any others that follow are RDA. This cuts down side effects and other future dangers because it works to Ďreprogramí our dna to attack the covid 19 protein. Also makes it much easier to adjust to the next covid which will surely come.

If 70% of population needs 2 vaccine doses, with the second being time sensitive to the first, thatís a buttload of vaccines we need, and itís very fragile
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Seems to me that the easiest cheapest and quickest solution is to advise everyone to take vitamin d and zinc etc. And those vulnerable to worse infections gets hcq prophylactically. Then lift all lockdowns and return back to normal life and let the virus run its course and we reach herd immunity. Bam, done, simple. And it doesn't require the destruction of the economy and society like they're currently doing.
    No disease has ever been eradicated by herd immunity, in the entire history of humanity, without a vaccine. I was all for your proposed solution until I learned the facts, but the reality is that it's just not possible.

Back to the issue at hand, I have gone to work nearly every day since this began. I opposed the initial lockdowns because they were supposedly to protect the hospitals, which were empty at the time because they had closed down all elective procedures and there were hardly any cases.

The situation couldn't be more drastically different now. Our hospitals are overwhelmed. There hasn't been an ICU bed vacant in my city for a month. My girlfriend pronounced 5 people dead in the same day and 11 in a week. Try doing that on the phone with enough families and it'll take its toll on you. She is one tough lady (she rides an Evil Wreckoning and knows how to use it), and I've honestly never seen her so beaten down.

I missed one of my best friend's weddings today and many birthdays. Other than going to work (essential), I am staying home. This is about to get DIRE. All of you are about to see death and destruction like you've never seen.

I am not religious, but I'm praying that this vaccine works.

mtbr member
    Will folks be able to choose between a mask and a vaccine?
    Hmmmm.

The vaccine will interrupt the geometric spread.
    Apply it to the exposed and vulnerable and work from there.
    Dense populations first.
    NY, CA, and other areas hit hardest.
    Many positives who survive, the vast majority, need not be a priority I expect.
    This too shall pass.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    With our (US) current mortality rate, and a guestimated 70% immunity needed... That would be like 6 million dead before we got this beat down.

This vaccine, and likely any others that follow are RDA. This cuts down side effects and other future dangers because it works to Ďreprogramí our dna to attack the covid 19 protein. Also makes it much easier to adjust to the next covid which will surely come.

If 70% of population needs 2 vaccine doses, with the second being time sensitive to the first, thatís a buttload of vaccines we need, and itís very fragile
    That mortality rate to date has been largely based around most of your hospital system NOT being overwhelmed so largely the sick have been able to get reasonable medical care. At the rate you guys are going, it won't be long before your hospital systems are simply over run, the majority of those needing medical won't be able to get it at the level required and the current mortality rate will steadily climb, like all of the other stats around this virus in the US at the moment.

I'm not overly religious but I am praying for all of you.

A waste of time it is is
    Will folks be able to choose between a mask and a vaccine?
    Hmmmm.

The vaccine will interrupt the geometric spread.
    Apply it to the exposed and vulnerable and work from there.
    Dense populations first.
    NY, CA, and other areas hit hardest.
    Many positives who survive, the vast majority, need not be a priority I expect.
    This too shall pass.
    Apparently NY isn't getting it, something about someone claiming a certain Governor doesn't want this administrations vaccines so he's not going to send any there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Look at world o meters for Sweden. Their daily deaths went down to practically zero over the summer. Now total deaths out of 10 million people is around 10-15 per day.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

"Cases" is misleading since as seems to correlate with positive PCR tests, not actual sickness. Since the threshold for a meaningful result is around 35 cycles, and the tests I am heard are running at 40+ cycles, the results aren't reliable as they are giving a lot of false positives. So this means that the severity of the second wave is probably being over-exaggerated.
    Ok, let's say i agree with you that cases are misleading.

But so what?

If the argument against lockdowns is that it's bad for the economy, sweden was just as bad as the us. 8 percent down, i think 2nd quarter. Before you say, yeah us was down 33 percent, remember that's annualized, so it's about 8 percent too.

Part of the reason is people are afraid to go to work or do stuff, and part is that the ťconomies of countries are interdependent, so exports go down because other countries ťconomies go down.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Apparently NY isn't getting it, something about someone claiming a certain Governor doesn't want this administrations vaccines so he's not going to send any there.
    Since you want to go down that road, you should get your facts straight.

TRUMP: ďThe vaccine will be available to the entire general population with the exception of places like New York state where for political reasons the governor decided to say ó and I donít think itís good politically, I think itís very bad from a health standpoint ó but he wants to take his time with a vaccine. ...We canít be delivering it to a state that wonít be giving it to its people immediately.Ē

The governor of NY, Cuomo, has stated that it is a bad thing that the vaccine is coming out before Trumpís departure and that he will adopt a slow and cautious distribution. He will be reviewing the vaccine rather than allowing FDA approval stand as good without his own bureaucratic tape.
    Cuomo wants to continue to warehouse assets, unused, as he has from the beginning. NY was given massive assets from the very beginning.
    From Military, to a State of the art Hospital Ship, to oversupply of ventilators and ICU beds.

Nevertheless, your BS notwithstanding, NY should get and WILL get all she needs and more, as has been the case up until now, and from ALL AMERICANS.
    Thatís how we roll here.

mtbr member
    Would you shut up, man
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Would you shut up, man
    Nope, I didnít bring it up.
    I expect I will choose to reply to posts I disagree with, especially when they are so obviously misguided and uninformed.

mtbr member
    Nope, I didnít bring it up.
    I expect I will choose to reply to posts I disagree with, especially when they are so obviously misguided and uninformed.
    I enjoy you being a member here, if you could cut down on the crap you spread thatíd be better, youíre full of it

Op/thread starter asked for no politics from the onset. Do you have no self control too?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    That mortality rate to date has been largely based around most of your hospital system NOT being overwhelmed so largely the sick have been able to get reasonable medical care. At the rate you guys are going, it won't be long before your hospital systems are simply over run, the majority of those needing medical won't be able to get it at the level required and the current mortality rate will steadily climb, like all of the other stats around this virus in the US at the moment.

I'm not overly religious but I am praying for all of you.
    So far no one has been denied an ICU bed or ventilator in the US.

mtbr member
    In your shrinking bubble this is true
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I enjoy you being a member here, if you could cut down on the crap you spread thatíd be better, youíre full of it

Op/thread starter asked for no politics from the onset. Do you have no self control too?
    See post 98. I replied directly to a member who quoted me and took me to task inserting his own political spin.

Not a peep from you on that.
    Unsurprisingly.

Back on topic, had a flu shot yet?

mtbr member
    See post 98. I replied directly to a member who quoted me and took me to task inserting his own political spin.

Not a peep from you on that.
    Unsurprisingly.

Back on topic, had a flu shot yet?
    Donít take my lack of a response as youíre right, because you havenít been about much, and misleading too

I donít react well to flu shots. Doc said donít sweat it, be careful. Took wife and child for theirs. Thanks for your concern
    Round and round we go

A waste of time it is is

TRUMP: ďThe vaccine will be available to the entire general population with the exception of places like New York state where for political reasons the governor decided to say ó and I donít think itís good politically, I think itís very bad from a health standpoint ó but he wants to take his time with a vaccine. ...We canít be delivering it to a state that wonít be giving it to its people immediately.Ē

How is that different to what I said?
    Arguing for argument sake but that's nothing new is it Oz?

Also not surprising that you haven't quoted everything he said, but only the parts that suit your narrative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpiu72r7tnY

mtbr member
    In your shrinking bubble this is true
    Uh no, I clearly stated ďUSĒ.

Refute what I said with facts.
    Cite the cases.

mtbr member

Also not surprising that you haven't quoted everything he said, but only the parts that suit your narrative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpiu72r7tnY
    No.
    I quoted the parts that refute your injected political dogma.
    If you cannot clearly see the difference between what I posted and what you posted, well I really do not know what to say.

Your first sentence above clearly conflicts with your following assertion that I edited it to suit a different narrative. How can it be different if itís the same, LMAO...

A waste of time it is is
    hahaha.

You said NY first, I pointed out that NY wasn't getting it. Typically you got all butthurt and spewed forth your usual tripe.
    Take the blinkers off Oz, it's not healthy for you. I have no political skin in the game, I just like laughing at fools. Take that as you will.

mtbr member
    hahaha.

You said NY first, I pointed out that NY wasn't getting it. Typically you got all butthurt and spewed forth your usual tripe.
    Take the blinkers off Oz, it's not healthy for you. I have no political skin in the game, I just like laughing at fools. Take that as you will.

Speaks Volumes.
    Iíll just let that little gem stand on its own in your behalf.
    Again, NY is going to get the vaccine as soon as possible, so you are wrong on that point as well.

mtbr member

Hope you know that Cuomo wouldnít stop an approved vaccine nor could he. Heíd sooner defund the police which is more crazy talk. Thatís a dramatic way of saying reasonable ppl want to change where resources get spent. Letís not bring trump into a reasonable conversation.
    Thanks for your prayers. Looking like we may need it.
    Round and round we go

A waste of time it is is
    Hope you know that Cuomo wouldnít stop an approved vaccine nor could he. Heíd sooner defund the police which is more crazy talk. Thatís a dramatic way of saying reasonable ppl want to change where resources get spent. Letís not bring trump into a reasonable conversation.
    I would hope no sane person would. As I said, no political skin in your game at all (your as in country, not personally) so am blissfully unaware of who legally can and can't do what, I was merely pointing out what I had seen said live a few days ago.

mtbr member
    Uh no, I clearly stated ďUSĒ.

Refute what I said with facts.
    Cite the cases.
    Do not wish to refute another members thread to oblivion.

This time will ask please, would you shut up man
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I would hope no sane person would. As I said, no political skin in your game at all (your as in country, not personally) so am blissfully unaware of who legally can and can't do what, I was merely pointing out what I had seen said live a few days ago.
    How is covid treating your neck of the woods?
    Your economy depend on travel ?
    Round and round we go

A waste of time it is is
    Do not wish to refute another members thread to oblivion.

This time will ask please, would you shut up man
    He clearly has no idea how to.

A waste of time it is is
    How is covid treating your neck of the woods?
    Your economy depend on travel ?
    Large parts of it do but because we aren't allowed to travel internationally, with certain exceptions, most will be travelling internally so dollars going os will now be spent locally.

Otherwise we are doing reasonably well, very few locally acquired cases and not many cases in returned travellers still trying to get home. 14 day forced quarantine helps isolate that and Vics hard, extended forced "lock down" did wonders for getting it back under control there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=covi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

mtbr member
    Large parts of it do but because we aren't allowed to travel internationally, with certain exceptions, most will be travelling internally so dollars going os will now be spent locally.

Otherwise we are doing reasonably well, very few locally acquired cases and not many cases in returned travellers still trying to get home. 14 day forced quarantine helps isolate that and Vics hard, extended forced "lock down" did wonders for getting it back under control there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=covi...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Thatís promising. Makes a person dream of times like that. Now for a completely appropriate video for your entertainment

https://youtu.be/1HRa4X07jdE
    Round and round we go

A waste of time it is is
    Sorry mate, borders are closed.

mtbr member
    Sorry mate, borders are closed.
    Yeah, tell me about it. Have an Aussie friend who works cruise ships. Spoke to him about a month ago and heís still not home yet.
    Round and round we go

A waste of time it is is
    Yeah, tell me about it. Have an Aussie friend who works cruise ships. Spoke to him about a month ago and heís still not home yet.
    Everyone that comes in has to do a mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine. (there have been a few exceptions which I don't understand) NSW has been doing the lions share of that which has meant it's a couple of thousand a week coming back. Vic hasn't done any since it had it's second wave but I suspect will start taking more back fairly soon. Some of the other states are starting to do more but it is a slow process and now that the fed government has started chartering extra flights, the register of those trying to get home has actually increased. From memory only about 6500 a week are allowed back so that the quarantine system doesn't become overwhelmed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Honestly speaking, apart from an increased awareness of hand sanitiser usage and lower tourism numbers, you wouldn't even know there's a pandemic out there.

mtbr member
    Can't wait until we start seeing all of the ambulance-chaser commercials in a few years...
    'Did you receive a Covid-19 vaccine and now have a spastic colon?
    You may be eligible for our class-action lawsuit'.

this.

mtbr member
    Soaked and pressed out seeds from fruit of the Magnolia for stratification today. Weíll see if we can produce some seedlings this Spring. If so Iíll plant a Magnolia Grove on the place in Missouri. Total of 200 in the fridge now.

No mask was used and no COVID spread. Winter will not be Dark in this House.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's everyone managing the pandemic right now?-d55dca40-10a5-413e-b85e-595301bcb9a9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Soaked and pressed out seeds from fruit of the Magnolia for stratification today. Weíll see if we can produce some seedlings this Spring. If so Iíll plant a Magnolia Grove on the place in Missouri. Total of 200 in the fridge now.

As long as you pay your electric bill it shouldnít be dark this winter.

Those magnolia seed pods are so deep red in some states. Seeing them turn blue would seem unheard of
    Round and round we go

mtbr member

Why do you want to plant a grove of Magnolias Oz? Wouldnít it be better to plant Chinquapins or apples/pears and persimmons? Something to benefit you and the wildlife? Am I missing something and need to cut down all my fruit trees and plant magnolias?
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Snow Dog
    Why do you want to plant a grove of Magnolias Oz? Wouldnít it be better to plant Chinquapins or apples/pears and persimmons? Something to benefit you and the wildlife? Am I missing something and need to cut down all my fruit trees and plant magnolias?
    curious as well...we had 3 of 'em in the backyard of my old house, and they were pretty when they bloomed, and were good shade, but were they also useful in some other way?

LET IT SNOW!

A waste of time it is is

Sir K, you can make steel from them.

Steel Magnolias

mtbr member
    Sir K, you can make steel from them.

Steel Magnolias

This is why I come to the O.C. people. I feel like Iím getting smarter every day.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

A waste of time it is is
    This is why I come to the O.C. people. I feel like Iím getting smarter every day.
    My work here for the day is done, but remember, you have to treat them just right to get them to harden up that much

mtbr member
    Those seeds are from a Magnolia the Wife and I planted here 30 years ago. Today it is huge and is covered every year with a large number of extremely fragrant blooms. I spent a few magic evenings near it looking through the telescope with a bit of music on the iPod. Not a single Magnolia on the 75 acre place in MO when I first bought it. Managed to nurse one to about 10í up there over the years. So we thought it would be neat to propagate some seedlings from this tree weíve grown along with and come to appreciate so much before we move on. The opportunity came to mind. Thought about several in a large circle on an open hilltop up there.

We will have the others as well, fruit, nut, and such again as we have here, but these will be the only ďoffspringĒ we take with us.

mtbr member
    Iím having a whole dif image of oz now

How's everyone managing the pandemic right now?-6c4cb298-df77-4842-a14b-56dc1f79a636.jpeg
    Round and round we go

A waste of time it is is
    Iím having a whole dif image of oz now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C4CB298-DF77-4842-A14B-56DC1F79A636.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	1377269
    Front row, middle?

mtbr member
    Front row, middle?
    Nah, canít be. He doesnít go anywhere without a gun
    Round and round we go

Big Mac
    Nah, canít be. He doesnít go anywhere without a gun
    Concealed carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snow Dog
    Those seeds are from a Magnolia the Wife and I planted here 30 years ago. Today it is huge and is covered every year with a large number of extremely fragrant blooms. I spent a few magic evenings near it looking through the telescope with a bit of music on the iPod. Not a single Magnolia on the 75 acre place in MO when I first bought it. Managed to nurse one to about 10í up there over the years. So we thought it would be neat to propagate some seedlings from this tree weíve grown along with and come to appreciate so much before we move on. The opportunity came to mind. Thought about several in a large circle on an open hilltop up there.

We will have the others as well, fruit, nut, and such again as we have here, but these will be the only ďoffspringĒ we take with us.
    cool...like bringing members of the family along...I like connections like that

We have 2 massive holly bushes in front of our current house that I honestly an not believe is growing in this climate and soil. They were pretty small when we moved in, but when they berry it is like huge friggen Christmas...I hope to take a small section of one when we move and start it at the new place

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    cool...like bringing members of the family along...I like connections like that

We have 2 massive holly bushes in front of our current house that I honestly an not believe is growing in this climate and soil. They were pretty small when we moved in, but when they berry it is like huge friggen Christmas...I hope to take a small section of one when we move and start it at the new place
    You get it.
    Good.
    There are also some cobblestones worn smooth and rounded over along the edges that came from England or Illinois by way of ballast to Memphis on cotton shipping runs. I picked them up during construction demo many years ago around the Tennessee Hotel. They have been among the azaleas here for over 30 years as well. They will be incorporated amongst the Magnolias under a bench or in some such manner.
    I fancy that long after Iím dust someone else will enjoy and appreciate the out of place beauty and oddity of it all.

No known cure
    You get it.
    Good.
    There are also some cobblestones worn smooth and rounded over along the edges that came from England or Illinois by way of ballast to Memphis on cotton shipping runs. I picked them up during construction demo many years ago around the Tennessee Hotel. They have been among the azaleas here for over 30 years as well. They will be incorporated amongst the Magnolias under a bench or in some such manner.
    I fancy that long after Iím dust someone else will enjoy and appreciate the out of place beauty and oddity of it all.
    I had the same thing. Basalt cobblestones from the UK that were torn up when they built the MAX train in Portland, OR. They were ballast also replaced by timber. I was renting at the time so I sold all of it off for a tidy sum.

mtbr member
    I had the same thing. Basalt cobblestones from the UK that were torn up when they built the MAX train in Portland, OR. They were ballast also replaced by timber. I was renting at the time so I sold all of it off for a tidy sum.
    Thinking about getting something cut into one, two, or a few tracing where they came from when I relocate them to Missouri. Iíve found a few curiosities left there by others before me over on the side of a bluff overlooking a creek that look to be around late 1800 early 1900. Not sure what one really was used for. A shelter of some sort maybe 6íx8íx 5í tall stone walls and roof. Iíll be investigating that more later.
    Great safe diversions all.....

There are probably 30 persimmons in a grove, 10-15 of them loaded this fall. A whole ridge of 100+ year old white oaks for the deer and turkeys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's everyone managing the pandemic right now?-img_8439.jpg  

A waste of time it is is
    Cool history Oz, would the county have any old maps / approvals that might give an indication as to what it was built for? Maybe a local town historian might be able to shed some light on it.

Edit: As for marking the "ballast" some way, for what it is worth I don't think you should, I think you should be keeping them in as original condition as possible. Maybe take a pic of them where they are now, then another one when you have them in place at the new place. Stick both pics in a frame with a bit of a written history of there origin, maybe even a pic of the original vessel they came over on if you have that info. Just my 2c

mtbr member
    Thinking about getting something cut into one, two, or a few tracing where they came from when I relocate them to Missouri. Iíve found a few curiosities left there by others before me over on the side of a bluff overlooking a creek that look to be around late 1800 early 1900. Not sure what one really was used for. A shelter of some sort maybe 6íx8íx 5í tall stone walls and roof. Iíll be investigating that more later.
    Great safe diversions all.....

There are probably 30 persimmons in a grove, 10-15 of them loaded this fall. A whole ridge of 100+ year old white oaks for the deer and turkeys.
    The arched doorway tells its European. Are the ceiling inside arched? Built to last the builders obviously planned to stay but drought in the late 1800s/early 1900s drove them out would be my guess
    Round and round we go

Pfizer: "90% effective!"

Moderna: "Hold my adjuvant!"

mtbr member
    same here!! I still have my dads versions of those books, as well as my own...the Pratt book is still on our State solo list, so all of my kids play Drum Corps on Parade, or Gingersnap, or My Freind Norman at some point in their career
    Fantastic! He and my dad were close friends, so we'd hit different drum shows together, and I have a bunch of signed copies of the books.

Pratt was friends with the NEXUS guys from Canada and I got to join a practice session with some of them. Very intimidating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    When I sold my place in Vermont I was committing to the idea that there isn't really another place that suited me better than the home we had built here in CT. Covid has tested and confirmed that notion. Besides some time apart from some of the family when they've been exposed and the hassle of getting Chickie through distance-learning, the rhythm of our lives has been upset very little.

EDIT: The fear and social decay, right!? Wow.
    Go ride with Ted King and prep for the Raspitutsa!

Snow Dog
    Fantastic! He and my dad were close friends, so we'd hit different drum shows together, and I have a bunch of signed copies of the books.

Pratt was friends with the NEXUS guys from Canada and I got to join a practice session with some of them. Very intimidating.
    that....makes me so jealous!!!

my grandfather knew Gene Krupa from growing up in Chicago-land, and when he played in Central Ohio, he would sometimes eat dinner at their house. We have slides somewhere of Krupa playing on my dads drum set - the one I use now - in the corner of the living room. He would give my dad tips and pointers...

LET IT SNOW!

well mannered lout
    Go ride with Ted King and prep for the Raspitutsa!
    I'm good with the Raspitutsa carnage. I remember the race finish shooting down the mud and ice ruts of Belden Hill right past the front of the restaurant and a quick left over to the medical tents. There was a crowd of riders with busted collar bones.

I enjoyed my time up in East Burke but every part of life down here is better.

PoDaddy
    I'm a nurse in the recovery room (PACU, postop). We shut down elective surgery when the initial panic hit. Instead of being out of work I sat outside in perfect weather (most days) taking temps. It was like a paid vacation.

Now surgery is, and has been, back in full force. We don't even test patients any more and are slammed busy. Only difference is we have to wear masks. We are provided n95's but almost no one wears them outside of the actual operating room. They really do suck to wear all day. There was a time when we had to and we all had killer headaches by the end of the day. Kudos to the real hero folk on the covid units.

I got it pretty good. My town pays nurses dirt comparatively speaking, but the cost of living is also low. Plenty of trails, plenty of money for food and a few bike doodads. Healthy body, work three days a week, two healthy toddlers and an amazing wife.

Can't complain a bit.
    Actual daddy. No actual fatstax.

mtbr member

The new vaccines look pretty good. I'm going to guess that there will be a sizable portion of the population who won't take it due to whatever conspiracy they come up with.

A waste of time it is is
    The new vaccines look pretty good. I'm going to guess that there will be a sizable portion of the population who won't take it due to whatever conspiracy they come up with.
    Yep, and probably also a percentage that are conservative, as in nature, not political persuasion, that are aware of issues with other first gen vaccines, so will wait for future ones.

mtbr member
    Agreed
    A good thing China released the structure of this virus, a blueprint if you will, to the public in January.
    Also smart of leaders to vet any info or vaccines to offer some confidence to citizens that have been lied to. May help with getting ppl to get vaccinated
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Agreed
    A good thing China released the structure of this virus, a blueprint if you will, to the public in January.
    Also smart of leaders to vet any info or vaccines to offer some confidence to citizens that have been lied to. May help with getting ppl to get vaccinated
    It's interesting that the west coast states, CA, OR, & WA, have banded together to verify any vaccine before it's issued here.

mtbr member
    It's interesting that the west coast states, CA, OR, & WA, have banded together to verify any vaccine before it's issued here.
    Didnít know that, yeah, interesting.
    Another noodle. COVAX is a worldwide coalition that was already put together to find a vaccine with many Americans leading it, when our leader decided going it alone with operation warp speed a better plan
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by themeat View Post
    didnít know that, yeah, interesting.
    Another noodle. Covax is a worldwide coalition that was already put together to find a vaccine with many americans leading it, when our leader decided going it alone with operation warp speed a better plan
    let

it

go.

mtbr member
    Yep, and probably also a percentage that are conservative, as in nature, not political persuasion, that are aware of issues with other first gen vaccines, so will wait for future ones.
    that is the main reason I do not want the first gen vaccine. Im not some paranoid conspiracy theorist and not an anti vaxer. Same reason you don't buy a brand new version of a car. There always seems like problems arise down the road that no one was aware of at the time.

mtbr member
    No need for everyone to scramble for the vaccine.
    The vast majority will be fine without it anyway.
    If the most vulnerable are vaccinated the spread by others becomes significantly less relevant.

I expect we are just about to crest the hill.....

mtbr member
    As for the stone shelter.
    I have accumulated a considerable amount of documentation on the area. Interesting theories from locals but nothing definitive so far....

An example....
    Fascinating stuff.
    https://thelibrary.org/lochist/turnbo/toc.html

One Selection:
    PICKED UP HER HUSBANDíS BRAINS
    By S. C. Turnbo

Among the sad scenes and incidents of Civil War days that occurred in the Buffalo mountains is an account furnished me by James C. (Jim) Guin. I saw Mr. Guin at a picnic one mile south of the railroad depot at Coweta, Indian Territory, on the 4th of August, 1906, where he related it to me. He said, "I am a son of Jesse and Charlotte (Shipman) Guin and was born in Henry County, Tennessee, December 12, 1851. My father died in Polk County, Missouri, and lies buried in the Weaver grave-yard eight miles north of Bolivar. My mother died in Arkansas and is buried on Spring Creek five miles northeast of Big Flat. Spring Creek is mostly composed of five springs of water and flows into Big Creek, an affluent of Buffalo." Mr. Guin said his parents moved from Tennessee to Searcy County, Arkansas, in 1855 and settled on Big Creek five miles above where it runs into Buffalo and three miles northeast of Big Flat. He said that he remembers going to school at Big Flat a short term, a year or more after their arrival there. "I boarded with Asa Baker who sold goods at Big Flat. I cannot call to mind the name of the teacher, but the school was taught in a hewed log house with benches for seats. Among our neighbors who lived on Big Creek on our arrival there were Berry Treat, Gin Base, Billie Tillie, Andy George and Adville Horton. Tillie owned an overshot mill which was run by a fine spring of water that run out of a bluff some ten or twelve miles east of Burroughville, now called Marshall. Mr. Horton was killed on Big Creek during the war. A scouting party of soldiers killed him on the creek four miles above the mouth. In giving an account of the sad incident as mentioned at the commencement of this chapter, Mr. Guin said, "A man of the name of Murph Henderson lived near us on Big Creek. He was a son of "Chris" Henderson who lived several years on Shoal Creek in Taney County, Missouri. One day while the cruel war was raging, Henderson and his wife whose name was Sarah come to our house. Henderson was near 30 years of age. Captain Joe Smith, an old man, was also at our house at the same time Henderson and his wife was. These men were southern sympathizers. They had not been in our house but a short time before we noticed 30 mounted men charging toward the house. A moment before they reached the yard fence Henderson, seeing that they wore blue uniforms, darted out of the house and started running across our field. Smith made no effort to escape and remained in the house. Part of the horsemen knocked down the fence and pursued Henderson and took him in the upper part of the field and shot him to death. I was just twelve years old then and remember that awful day as if it was only yesterday. I saw them kill Henderson, and the men who remained at the house threatened to kill Smith, but I begged the men not to shoot him, that he was old and harmless and that there was nothing alleged against him except that he held up for the southern side and that was not a crime. I thought for a while they would kill him in spite of all my entreaties not to do so. But finally they went away from the house without hurting Smith and the 30 men assembled together again and rode away. Hendersonís wife run to the body of her husband first, and when the soldiers left the house, I and others went to where it lay. His head was almost shot to pieces and the brains were spattered on the ground where the dead body lay, and Sarah Henderson, his wife, picked up all the bits of brains she could find on the ground and those that had oozed out of the bullet holes in the head which were still on the head, and she wiped them off with her hands and put them all in her apron and took them to a hollow stump which stood in a few yards of where the dead man was and dropped them into it. A new graveyard had been started on our place and we buried the body of Henderson there. Sarah Henderson was drowned in Big Creek a few months after the death of her man. She was mounted on a horse, or rather riding double, and was behind Bob Cypret on a stout horse and when they reached the ford of the creek they found that it was swollen, but Cypret told her they could ford it and rode into the water where he soon got in where it was swimming and the woman was drowned and so was the horse. Cypret escaped. When the womanís body was recovered from the water, she was buried where her husband received interment. As a compliment for saving his life, Captain Smith paid me evil for good by stealing the best horse we had and fled, which he done a short while after Henderson was killed."

A waste of time it is is
    what a great turn of phrase, "paid me evil for good"

mtbr member
    As for the stone shelter.
    I have accumulated a considerable amount of documentation on the area. Interesting theories from locals but nothing definitive so far....
    Drawing from 2 of my lifelong interest and passions, weather and architecture, would conclude itís what I said in previous post. Abandoned because of drought. Although something more interesting, like omg my husbands brains are on the floor would certainly have more effect.
    Unless you can date the structure donít see how you could get more definitive.
    Guessing the roof has some curve/arch to it, being itís stone, and guessing the floor is dirt. You could dig down onto dirt to try and find some artifacts that may help you date. Would also think roof was originally higher and debris and weather made floor higher/ceiling closer
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I expect to do a bit with a trowel and a possibly metal detector when I get a chance.
    If I had to guess, some post civil war hiding place or such.
    I imagine deed records will give me some leads to people to talk to.
    I have several plat maps and the family names repeat all over the area.

That story isnít related, but those Turnbo documents give a context to place, time, and daily life. The circumstance and nature of the structure sorta pushes the two together.
    Found an old iron wagon wheel in the woods on the next bluff years back.

There are 28 volumes in the Turnbo document, all very well written and interesting stories.

well mannered lout
    I expect to do a bit with a trowel and a possibly metal detector when I get a chance.
    If I had to guess, some post civil war hiding place or such.
    I imagine deed records will give me some leads to people to talk to.
    I have several plat maps and the family names repeat all over the area.
    Without knowing anything else about the location, the look and size of it say ice house/ dairy/root cellar to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    You're high as a kite. It has been happening here for a month. And other cities, like El Paso and Tulsa, are doing even worse.

mtbr member
    Without knowing anything else about the location, the look and size of it say ice house/ dairy/root cellar to me.
    I thought the same, but there is a 4Ē iron pipe sleeve in the corner of the roof, and a window opening on the south wall. Both of which run counter to the tiny size of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    You're high as a kite. It has been happening here for a month. And other cities, like El Paso and Tulsa, are doing even worse.
    Give me the name of the Hospital. And donít try to imply that denial of transfer to a particular hospital is the same thing.

mtbr member
    what a great turn of phrase, "paid me evil for good"
    Then, as now and always, it boiled down to good vs evil.

mtbr member
    No need for everyone to scramble for the vaccine.
    The vast majority will be fine without it anyway.
    If the most vulnerable are vaccinated the spread by others becomes significantly less relevant.

I expect we are just about to crest the hill.....
    We are cresting the hill each day with new cases, until the next day when we crest again. Realty

Also, to think some level of triage isnít going on in some places/hospitals in this country is showing more disconnect from reality
    Round and round we go

Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    And other cities, like El Paso and Tulsa, are doing even worse.
    Jesus, just reading about "the pit" at UMC El PasoÖ those poor people and their families.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFatStax View Post
    I'm a nurse in the recovery room (PACU, postop). We shut down elective surgery when the initial panic hit. Instead of being out of work I sat outside in perfect weather (most days) taking temps. It was like a paid vacation.

Now surgery is, and has been, back in full force. We don't even test patients any more and are slammed busy. Only difference is we have to wear masks. We are provided n95's but almost no one wears them outside of the actual operating room. They really do suck to wear all day. There was a time when we had to and we all had killer headaches by the end of the day. Kudos to the real hero folk on the covid units.

I got it pretty good. My town pays nurses dirt comparatively speaking, but the cost of living is also low. Plenty of trails, plenty of money for food and a few bike doodads. Healthy body, work three days a week, two healthy toddlers and an amazing wife.

Can't complain a bit.
    We're still not doing any elective surgeries. I've been called in for hip fractures and other ortho trauma and it's been a ghost town at the two hospitals I work at.

I've also been in the ER at my small local hospital six times(for x rays). They set up a COVID site in the parking lot but never opened it. It has a 12' chain link fence around it. Also, all six times I've visited I was the only patient in the ER. I was there a week ago today and was out in under an hour.

mtbr member
    We're still not doing any elective surgeries. I've been called in for hip fractures and other ortho trauma and it's been a ghost town at the two hospitals I work at.

I've also been in the ER at my small local hospital six times(for x rays). They set up a COVID site in the parking lot but never opened it. It has a 12' chain link fence around it. Also, all six times I've visited I was the only patient in the ER. I was there a week ago today and was out in under an hour.
    Yup. Typical pattern is ghost town before and after deluge
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    The Plot thickens......
    The more I read about the area and the more I think about the location and details, the more Iím thinking hideout. The pipe for some sort of small heat source, the proximity to water where the bluff is nearest the bend in the creek, and the clear view across the hollow with the window opening on that side all tease my imagination.
    There are actually two time periods that form a nexus with place and circumstance. SW Missouri was a place known for such things.
    Stumbled on this today during my COVID enhanced reading time, a bit of History Iíd never heard detailed.
    Another credible possibility.

Also, in the South, men who fought in the Civil War were still very much alive in 1917, creating yet another vein of resistance, as politicians argued that conscription was just a further extension of federal power that trampled on the rights of states.

So folks in the area were hiding from the government in the Ozark woods to avoid being conscripted and sent to Europe to fight in World War 1.

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/loc...35c6e6e2e.html

mtbr member
    With a shelter made of stone like that, theyíd be planning on fighting ww1 from there, not fleeing it
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I'm good with the Raspitutsa carnage. I remember the race finish shooting down the mud and ice ruts of Belden Hill right past the front of the restaurant and a quick left over to the medical tents. There was a crowd of riders with busted collar bones.

I enjoyed my time up in East Burke but every part of life down here is better.
    I'd love to race it; looks deceiving at 40 miles but is a bear. I've watched plenty of YouTubes about it, including Ted King's and the Vegan Rider.

Glad you're enjoying your move.

mtbr member
    Cuomo's done a fantastic job of reigning in the COVID numbers, and continues to do so in spite of resistance. This disease is no joke.

mtbr member
    Cuomo's done a fantastic job of reigning in the COVID numbers, and continues to do so in spite of resistance. This disease is no joke.
    Not a big fan but he definitely gained some more of my respect with his handling of the covid.
    Youíd be surprised with the lack of resistance heís gotten from citizens. He explained things well and got ppl to want to play it safe for the good of everyone. Quite amazing really. That made all the difference and quickly
    Round and round we go

No known cure
    Yup. Typical pattern is ghost town before and after deluge
    I just checked. Where I live is a tourist destination, and people have been day tripping up here. At any one time there are 300 to 600 covid cases. That's for a 40 mile radius. This year there have been SIX deaths. Covid is way down on the list of ways you can die here.

mtbr member
    I just checked. Where I live is a tourist destination, and people have been day tripping up here. At any one time there are 300 to 600 covid cases. That's for a 40 mile radius. This year there have been SIX deaths. Covid is way down on the list of ways you can die here.
    Thatís good Man. Ppl that travel to there must be taking precautions. This virus spreads. Went from China to 180 countries within weeks
    Round and round we go

No known cure
    Thatís good Man. Ppl that travel to there must be taking precautions. This virus spreads. Went from China to 180 countries within weeks
    The city of Big Bear can swell by 100,000 on a weekend. It's why I moved halfway across the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    . Covid is way down on the list of ways you can die here.
    My town is up to a grand total of 71 cases, cumulative since this all started.
    ~60% of folks have been tested. I don't know that we've had any deaths.

Governor says I can't be out after 10:00 and have to wear a mask in the woods or to get my mail. Millions of morons agree.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I think I got COVID because I was having a hard time breathing for a few weeks. Now I feel better. I also think that cycling may be part of the reason I survived because cycling expanded my lungs, so that, no matter how much COVID destroyed my lungs, I had a lot of healthy lungs leftover.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I think I got COVID because I was having a hard time breathing for a few weeks. Now I feel better. I also think that cycling may be part of the reason I survived because cycling expanded my lungs, so that, no matter how much COVID destroyed my lungs, I had a lot of healthy lungs leftover.
    One of the mysteries with this virus to me.
    I know so many ppl who were sure they had it and tested neg for antibodies
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    My town is up to a grand total of 71 cases, cumulative since this all started.
    ~60% of folks have been tested. I don't know that we've had any deaths.

Governor says I can't be out after 10:00 and have to wear a mask in the woods or to get my mail. Millions of morons agree.
    Kinda pointless to wear a mask of no one is around. Donít see it doing much harm neither
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    My mostly rural county of 40K has had 950 cases and 34 deaths. We average around 5-10 new cases most days.

I'm pretty sure these numbers don't include nursing homes though.

mtbr member
    The city of Big Bear can swell by 100,000 on a weekend. It's why I moved halfway across the mountain.
    Damn, that would be annoying to have to deal with so many tourists.

No known cure
    Damn, that would be annoying to have to deal with so many tourists.
    It was. You cant get around and the tourists know the back streets. My girlfriend and I would "shelter in place during the weekend, and it's like that year round.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    My mostly rural county of 40K has had 950 cases and 34 deaths. We average around 5-10 new cases most days.

I'm pretty sure these numbers don't include nursing homes though.
    What county are you in? I'm in Cobb, 26,826 cases; 495 deaths.

No known cure
    I just got home from picking up my neighbor from a five day stay in the VA hospital. He fell off a ladder and broke eight ribs. Everyday he received a COVID test. Test 3 and 4 were positive. The rest were negative.

mtbr member
    I just got home from picking up my neighbor from a five day stay in the VA hospital. He fell off a ladder and broke eight ribs. Everyday he received a COVID test. Test 3 and 4 were positive. The rest were negative.
    So is it the ladders fault he got the covid?

Just kidding, hope heís ok
    Round and round we go

A waste of time it is is
    Because this is what happens when it thaws, can't have that happening before it is in everyone.

mtbr member

Follow the Science!
    Do what it takes to protect your neighbor!
    Can we count on the Non GMO crowd?
    Interesting times with interesting choices.

Let the Crawfishiní begin......

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Kinda pointless to wear a mask of no one is around. Donít see it doing much harm neither
    If they're going to mandate something pointless, I'd rather they made everyone dress as pirates.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    If they're going to mandate something pointless, I'd rather they made everyone dress as pirates.
    That's not pointless.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Lol
    Cowboys with bandanna face coverings more useful. Give em a gun and call it America
    Round and round we go

What do you call the virus reproduction number amongst pirates?

Arrrrrrr-knot.

mtbr member
    Will those given the Vaccine be given an Arm Band for a ďno mask requiredĒ permit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    What do you call the virus reproduction number amongst pirates?

Arrrrrrr-knot.
    Booty!
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Will those given the Vaccine be given an Arm Band for a ďno mask requiredĒ permit?
    Yes
    Blue or red ones. So we know who to fire via tweet

Sale on covid home tests, and ammo clean up in isle 9
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    that....makes me so jealous!!!

my grandfather knew Gene Krupa from growing up in Chicago-land, and when he played in Central Ohio, he would sometimes eat dinner at their house. We have slides somewhere of Krupa playing on my dads drum set - the one I use now - in the corner of the living room. He would give my dad tips and pointers...

Get out! That is simply awesome! I love his drumming. What kid of set is it?

I've got my dad's very old Leedy basic kit (late 30's I'm guessing) that I need to revive somehow. I was at Maxwell's in NYC a few years back and asked them about replacing the snares; they're of an unusual material that I'm forgetting at the moment.

mtbr member
    Not a big fan but he definitely gained some more of my respect with his handling of the covid.
    Youíd be surprised with the lack of resistance heís gotten from citizens. He explained things well and got ppl to want to play it safe for the good of everyone. Quite amazing really. That made all the difference and quickly

Maybe it's not a lot of resistance, but my FB feed feels like it sometimes. Admittedly a very small sample size...conservative friends are not a fan, which comes as no surprise.

mtbr member
    Maybe it's not a lot of resistance, but my FB feed feels like it sometimes. Admittedly a very small sample size...conservative friends are not a fan, which comes as no surprise.
    Odd how most were fans for a short while when this covid started to break, until he criticized a realty tv show host
    Round and round we go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast