The diference between U.S. and Canadien Goverments- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

The diference between U.S. and Canadien Goverments

The USA

http://www.streetsblog.org/2007/07/2...-bike-parking/

The seemingly schizoid Bloomberg Administration continues to encourage bicycling with one hand while making it incredibly difficult with the other. Two weeks ago, amidst news of new bike lanes, on-street bike parking, and an impending bike lane media blitz, we heard about a gang of Parks Dept. employees clipping locks and seizing dozens of bicycles at the Forest Hills subway station in Queens.

Now we get news from a daily bike commuter who says that her employer -- the City of New York -- suddenly, and without warning, started cracking down on employees who park their bikes indoors. Rachel Stein is a 28-year-old project manager at the Dept. of Housing Preservation & Development at 100 Gold Street. She has worked off-and-on for three different City agencies the last six years. Here is an e-mail Stein forwarded to a friend last Thursday, published with her permission:

This morning I arrived at work as usual and was stopped by someone, I think from the Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services, or maybe our building security, saying that, as of yesterday, bikes were no longer allowed in the building. I did not have a lock, and no notice had been sent out despite the fact that there are a large number of daily or occasional cyclists in the building. He said I could not enter. I had to call my boss and have her contact Security to let me in, making me late.

Apparently it's been DCAS "policy" not to allow bikes into City buildings for some time now, but it was only enforced as of yesterday (with no notice). I was told that there may be plans for indoor bike parking in the future but no solid plans are in place. I was also told that security would be upped for the outdoor bike racks but was not told how or when that would happen. There are largely unmonitored racks to the side of the building, unprotected from the elements.

I've worked here for over two years and never had a problem. Apparently this has happened at other city buildings as well.

Anyway, I am just trying to get the word out to people that this is happening. The City is supposedly trying to encourage people to bike and bike commute. There are all these posters in the subway about bike commuters, and in fact a bike survey was conducted in my building a few months back asking about ways to encourage people to bike. Yet now they have implemented (or are enforcing) this policy that will certainly discourage people from cycling in. Seems a little backwards, doesn't it?

Canada:

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/English/notices/rst/61.html

This Notice explains the announced point-of-sale Retail Sales Tax (RST) exemption for bicycles and related safety equipment which will be effective from December 1, 2007 to November 30, 2008. For the purpose of this exemption, bicycles include tricycles and unicycles.
    Context
    This exemption is intended to encourage Ontarians to stay healthy and be active in their daily lives.

Bicycles
    A point-of-sale exemption from RST is being introduced for bicycles purchased on or after December 1, 2007 and on or before November 30, 2008. The exemption will be available on the purchase of new or used bicycles that have a purchase price of $1,000 or less.

Safety Equipment
    Safety equipment related to bicycles will also be exempt from RST during the period from December 1, 2007 to November 30, 2008. Exempt items include the following:

bicycle helmets
    reflectors for bicycles
    bicycle lights (including generators, battery operated lights)
    bells and horns for bicycles
    mirrors for bicycles.
    Excluded Items
    The lease or rental of bicycles remains taxable. Labour for bicycle repairs and bicycle assembly fees will continue to be subject to RST. The following items also remain taxable:

bicycle parts
    bicycle accessories such as carriers (baskets, tools), pumps, hoses, drinking bottles, and kickstands
    oil and grease
    tube repair kits.

Just an observation.

mtbr member
    canadian

mikeb
    the french canadian spelling is "canadien".

Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by never_was
    canadian
    Well you understood it so the spelling apparently doesnt matter does it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sounds like it might be a building code issue, and that gov't is not always monolithic. Different departments have varied agendas and priorities, and do not always work well together.

My employer encourages alternative transportation, but the fire marshal is very hard nosed about bikes in some buildings. He's convinced that in an emergency, everyone will block the exits trying to get their bikes out.

Double-metric mtb man
    Notice that the RST exemption is for bikes under $1000. By the time you add in all the taxes and surcharges before they hit retail, that means that only kid's bikes, entry level bikes and Walmart BSO's qualify.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Notice that the RST exemption is for bikes under $1000. By the time you add in all the taxes and surcharges before they hit retail, that means that only kid's bikes, entry level bikes and Walmart BSO's qualify.
    A bike is a bike is a bike is a bike. the general population do not own high end bicycles...only the people on this forum do except "allknowing" but he doesnt count. The minority of people this $1000 cap will exclude is miniscule.

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tunelvision
    Well you understood it so the spelling apparently doesnt matter does it.
    Well, if we're getting technical, it's government, not goverment

Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Well, if we're getting technical, it's government, not goverment
    Spelling schmelling I just bang on the keys till it looks about right then press the submit button.......

GAME ON!
    useless to me, but ok for the public
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Oct 2007
    What the??? why did this get moved? put it back!

Jun 2006
    What the??? why did this get moved? put it back!

You know why it got moved....

Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    You know why it got moved....
    2 "tax" related topics in 1 day????? I smell interest!

I'm SUCH a square....
    Spelling schmelling I just bang on the keys till it looks about right then press the submit button.......
    boy, i miss the good ol' days, when spelling was actually taught....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

I'm SUCH a square....
    a message to NYC:
    in the words of D-Generation X: "We got TWO WORDS FOR YA -- SUCK IT!"
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    I guess you were sick the day they taught how and why you capitalize "I"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    Was that before or after they stopped teaching punctuation and capitalization?
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Double-metric mtb man
    A bike is a bike is a bike is a bike. the general population do not own high end bicycles...only the people on this forum do except "allknowing" but he doesnt count. The minority of people this $1000 cap will exclude is miniscule.
    Although I agree with you that most of the population doesn't own high-end bikes, when you look at the industry these days, $1000 CDN doesn't get you much...for a cruiser or entry level mtb, sure, it'll get you in the game, but even an entry level roadie or cx bike is pushing that mark. I don't know of any recumbants in that range.

This seems to me more to favor Canadian Tire, Zellers and Walmart bikes (all sub $500 and generally "disposable" bikes) rather than trying to promote cycling in general. If they really wanted to promote cycling, they should make it across the board and drop the protectionist tariffs intended to shield the firms we *did* have against the Walmart bikes in the first place.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Was that before or after they stopped teaching punctuation and capitalization?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Although I agree with you that most of the population doesn't own high-end bikes, when you look at the industry these days, $1000 CDN doesn't get you much...for a cruiser or entry level mtb, sure, it'll get you in the game, but even an entry level roadie or cx bike is pushing that mark. I don't know of any recumbants in that range.

This seems to me more to favor Canadian Tire, Zellers and Walmart bikes (all sub $500 and generally "disposable" bikes) rather than trying to promote cycling in general. If they really wanted to promote cycling, they should make it across the board and drop the protectionist tariffs intended to shield the firms we *did* have against the Walmart bikes in the first place.
    while I totally agree I also have to say that something is better than nothing and if you can get some folks out on a cruiser or a walmart bike, in the long run, provided they don't get hit by a car or hurt themselves critically, the end game of a more healthy society will pay off especially with socialized health care. Look at the US with it aging population that is going to cripple our health care system because many of them haven't exercise since high school or college.

My wife is on a lower medical insurance payment than others at her firm because she rides bikes and is in good health. She still has to have yearly fitness checkups but it is worth it because she pays less than the fast food 3 meals a day computer jocks at her firm that only exercise going to and from the fridge to get their case of bawls and then to the bathroom to excrete their case of bawls.

So in summary anytime a person decides to bike whether it be to commute or as an activity as a kid the net result will be one less person, perhaps, requiring extensive medical intervention as the age be it children with obesity and juvenile diabetes or adults with obesity and adult onset diabetes. Either way the society as a whole wins.

Those that buy expensive bikes have already started the process of being fit. Their future, again baring accidents, is less of a concern for society as a whole.

At least that is my opinion.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Oct 2007

I agree they could have wrote in a clause that caps the benefits regardless of how high the price is. Maybe they capped it at a $1000 in order to teach fiscal responsibility??? Something we lack here in the usa. In all honesty theres nothing I cant do light freeride included that my 04 raleigh m-80 disc xc bike can do, not that I use it for that. I own a seperate FR rig..... For the purposes of general transportation anything will fit the bill. wally world bikes included, I see them everyday around here, hundreds of them all plugging along just fine.

Anyway nice to see some discusion on this I am glad they dumped it down here.

mtbr member
    you can always buy an ibex.

Members who have read this thread: 0