Thread: Brutal!

Bikesexual

Brutal!

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Shit's getting crazy.
    This thread will devolve into a gun thread, maybe rightfully zo.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Shit's getting crazy.
    This thread will devolve into a gun thread, maybe rightfully zo.
    Not the intent, but didn't think about it.

And yes, it sucks out there, it doesn't have to always be a car that kills you.

I guess, how far does one go to protect your bike.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Damn. Two detectives were eating close by, heard the shots, ran out and still couldn't find the guy. Wow.

There's a bike in the pic, I'm assuming the thief didn't get it?

mtbr member

I guess, how far does one go to protect your bike.
    I think a guy that will shoot you for your bike under those circumstances will shoot you for just about anything. It just seems there are a lot more desperate people roaming the streets as of late.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Damn. Two detectives were eating close by, heard the shots, ran out and still couldn't find the guy. Wow.

Probably not a robbery. A guy waiting for the bus with a bike is not a cyclist, so this likely was not a random shooting for a bike...probably just a gang related shooting.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Probably not a robbery. A guy waiting for the bus with a bike is not a cyclist, so this likely was not a random shooting for a bike...probably just a gang related shooting.
    Bike Commuters are not cyclists?

Maybe you were being sarcastic.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member

Maybe you were being sarcastic.
    Around here people waiting for the bus with a bike had their license taken away because of too many DUIs I don't know any bike commuters that take their bike on a bus. Could there be some, sure. but more than likely it a DUI'er

Meatbomb
    Drunks with Bikes.....

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    The jumping to conclusions bus has arrived. Must be the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by A/C in Az View Post
    Funny how anti gun people feel that it is morally superior to be a victim of a violent crime than to be a survivor.

If it was a theft attempt, first rule is get off your bike and don't argue. Say "sure take the bike." Then plug the guy with your concealed carry pistol as soon as he throws a leg over the seat.
    In most states, that is a good shoot. Check your local laws first.

For the liberals in the crowd, you don't need to aim to kill the guy. Shoot him in the groin area and he will live; and live to regret HIS choice of being a scumbag thief.
    So a bike is worth spending your life in prison? Great advice there.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    very sad... I mean reaching out to stop someone taking your stuff is a natural reaction.. having someone just yank out a gun and shoot over a bike at that point.. sheesh..

not worth it.. but if someone starts yanking on your stuff almost everyone is going to grab on and say "what" at that point..

I certainly hope the shooter is caught and locked away for the rest of his life..

I'm sure most of us don't practice 100% 24/7 self-defense readiness / situational awareness.. waiting on a bus for a morning commute isn't necessarily a time i'd be 100% . I'm very much not a morning person and when I worked early~ish start times I was a wreck till come 10~11am honestly.. I nearly stepped off a curb into the path of a bus in bit of a up to early am haze.. saved only by my now wife grabbing my arm and pulling me back..

I don't think even if armed the victim here would have experienced a different outcome..robber had the drop on him (as assailants tend to do) and went from a property crime to murder in an instant.. The victim may or may not have had an opportunity to observe this murderer coming as a threat with more vigilant situational awareness, but maybe not..

even if armed the victim would have likely tried to grab for the bike as a 1st instinct and would have then been trying to draw from the drop anyways... likely same outcome.

This is why you should tell people what you want them to know / that you love them each time you leave ..as you may not ever come home sadly...

It is very sad that there are people with such little regard for human life as to do such things =\

9 lives
    Truly brutal. I think the focus is theft and murder (rather than bike related) and the problem (and solution) is far more complex. Hope they catch the killer.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Maybe you were just being sarcastic.
    Right!?!? Unfortunately my sarcasm detector didn't work.
    45=25

mtbr member
    So, when I take my bike on the train or bus I am now considered a gang member.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    So, when I take my bike on the train or bus I am now considered a gang member.
    Probably not, I would think you are habitual DUI'er or you can't afford a car

mtbr member
    I think you're a habitual glue huffer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think you're a habitual glue huffer
    That's nice, cupcake

CEO Product Failure
    Bike theft in the SW is HUGE issue. Heading to Tucson for 24HOP in a couple weeks. All my buddies have recent horror stories to share. Even our host in Tucson had his bike stolen in the last 30 days. What's worse is the pawn shops enable and propogate theft by not cooperating with the victims and the police.

Very sad.

One ring to mash them all

I just read a comment under the linked story that the picture is from a shooting in Australia years ago. WTF Cycling Today?

An ABQ news site reported a few days ago that the police wouldn't say if the bike had been recovered, but released surveillance photos of the alleged shooter.

https://www.krqe.com/news/crime/apd-...ing/1710550304
    ITMFA

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I just read a comment under the linked story that the picture is from a shooting in Australia years ago. WTF Cycling Today?

An ABQ news site reported a few days ago that the police wouldn't say if the bike had been recovered, but released surveillance photos of the alleged shooter.

Good update. Hopefully they will give a reward so someone can open their mouth and get this ahole!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't know
    Should probably just keep typing that, and nothing more, from here on in.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Should probably just keep typing that, and nothing more, from here on in.
    I don't know, it doesn't sound like a something I want to do.

Upcyclist
    Sorry, couldn't resist, lol!

Brutal!-idont-know.jpg
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    My experience has been that any time there is a news story where I have first hand knowledge of the actual events in question, I find the story to be full of errors in facts and gross misrepresentations of the situation at hand.

Granted, these are mostly local stories in a podunk newspaper, but still, even the handful of regional and national stories that I have had some specific knowledge of I have found the reporting to leave a lot to be desired factually speaking.

It definitely leaves me with a healthy dose of skepticism about most of the stories I read/hear in the news media.

While use of a non-related photo in this story may not change the facts that were reported, it sure can skew the reader's perception of the events that did happen, and leads one to believe that if you are too lazy to use a photo of the actual crime scene, what other short cuts did you take in your reporting?
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    There is a gofundme page set up for anyone that would like to help out their fellow cyclist
    https://www.gofundme.com/in-memory-of-isaac-candelaria

Bikesexual
    There is a gofundme page set up for anyone that would like to help out their fellow cyclist
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Sneaker man
    Hmmm...not sure this is an accurate assessment of...anything...
    All the gear and no idea.

Sneaker man

true, I remember when it happened...

Cyclist shot multiple times on tourist trail in Australia | Cycling Today
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    but if someone starts yanking on your stuff almost everyone is going to grab on and say "what" at that point..
    This! Close this thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So a bike is worth spending your life in prison? Great advice there.
    A man's got to draw a line somewhere!

mtbr member
    Don't you mean fellow gang member, dipshit
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Don't you mean fellow gang member, dipshit
    You, once again are wrong because you can't get past your emotions and look at the facts. Then you try to belittle people when you are wrong, just like slapheadmofo. You should really take a deep look at how you interact with other, maybe get some professional help

Anyway let me help you out with the facts here.

Here he is making gang signs

Here are recent mugshots.

https://mugshots.com/US-Counties/New...145922490.html
    AGGRAVATED BATTERY W/GBH
    TRAFFICKING CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE;POSSESSION OF A FIREARM BY FELON

https://mugshots.com/US-Counties/New...157337968.html
    Receiving a stolen firearm

https://mugshots.com/US-Counties/New....86946696.html
    AGGRAVATED ASSAULT/WILLFUL ASSAULT W/DEADLY WEAPON

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Hmmm...not sure this is an accurate assessment of...anything...
    Yup!
    45=25

Snow Dog
    oh...so the guy was a gangster turd? Good riddance. The problem taking care of itself...

the real travesty was this guy being allowed to live after the first offense...

..and I am a bit confused as to the facts you are trying to prove: you "yell " at sfgiantsfan about his comment about the guy being a gang member...then try to defend the guy by posting...pictures of him being a gang member?

either way, I really don't care, and more angry about the fact that repeat offenders are encouraged in our society, not disposed of
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    oh...so the guy was a gangster turd? Good riddance. The problem taking care of itself...

..and I am a bit confused as to the facts you are trying to prove: you "yell " at sfgiantsfan about his comment about the guy being a gang member...then try to defend the guy by posting...pictures of him being a gang member?

either way, I really don't care, and more angry about the fact that repeat offenders are encouraged in our society, not disposed of
    You are misreading the exchange.
    sfgiantsfan got his panties in a bunch over me originally saying this was gang related and cyclist don't take the bus while bike commuting to work. His post #32 was his way of saying I think all bike commuter are gang members, poor sarcasm. He never opened the gofundme link that showed that this guy is an actual gang member before he spouted off

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've got a buddy that's been bike commuting for 20+ years, every day, year round, rain, shine, blizzards...whatever. Never misses work; he rides in conditions the vast majority of folks won't even drive in.

It's 60 miles each way from his home to destination. Rides 10-12 miles from his house to the train station, takes the train 40 miles or so, does another leg to finish up the trip to his office. He's way deep into 6 figure mileage numbers. (Also one of the perennial top riders in the regional DH and Enduro series, an XC beast, and trail builder extraordinaire.)

Gotta love internet know-it-alls.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Up In Smoke
    Dude looks like a banger to me

mtbr member
    A LOT of bike commuters in my city use the bus or max train as part of their commute to avoid dangerous stretches of road, including very wealthy Nike, Microsoft, Tektronix, etc. employees. It's pretty common practice.

mtbr member
    Gotta love internet know-it-alls.

Especially when they are right. I said this was a gangbanger, and it has proven to be true. Just because you buddy take a train with his bike, it doesn't change the fact that the guy that was murdered was not a cyclist

Why would a banger ride a bike when they could drive a stolen motor vehicle?
    ITMFA

Flat Pluto Society
    Why would a banger ride a bike when they could drive a stolen motor vehicle?
    He tried, but it was a manual.

He tried, but it was a stick.
    Name:  Vintage-Wooden-Flintstones-Like-Barney-Rubble-car.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  14.2 KB

?
    ITMFA

Flat Pluto Society
    Name:  Vintage-Wooden-Flintstones-Like-Barney-Rubble-car.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  14.2 KB

?
    Lol. I changed it, but too late.

Snow Dog
    You are misreading the exchange.
    sfgiantsfan got his panties in a bunch over me originally saying this was gang related and cyclist don't take the bus while bike commuting to work. His post #32 was his way of saying I think all bike commuter are gang members, poor sarcasm. He never opened the gofundme link that showed that this guy is an actual gang member before he spouted off
    ok...I figured I missed some part of a longer exchange

and gang bangers till suck!
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    ok...I figured I missed some part of a longer exchange

and gang bangers till suck!
    You didn't miss anything, the problem is that this is a forum, not a 1 on 1 personal DM conversation, if someone replies with the following statement "Probably not a robbery. A guy waiting for the bus with a bike is not a cyclist, so this likely was not a random shooting for a bike...probably just a gang related shooting." So either 2 things.

1. He trolling and hoping someone bites so that he can point to the fact the guy is a gang member, when he is obviously generalizing all people waiting for buses in his statement.
    or 2. He was actually generalizing all people riding buses and he does think they are all drunks and gang members and he got lucky that he was correct.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Especially when they are right.
    Pop quiz - who said this: "A guy waiting for the bus with a bike is not a cyclist"?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Pop quiz - who said this: "A guy waiting for the bus with a bike is not a cyclist"?
    And he wasn't. I know you think everyone waiting for the bus with a bike is a cyclist because your one "buddy" takes a train, but its not the case. I don't consider this guy a cyclist...but if you better considering him one... then feel free.

You guys are spending a lot of energy defending a criminal

mtbr member
    So... gang member gets shot while he happens to be standing next to a bicycle?

And this is a cycling issue because?...

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    So... gang member get shot while he happens to be standing next to a bicycle?

He was probably riding a fixie anyways, case closed!

Bikesexual
    So... gang member get shot while he happens to be standing next to a bicycle?

If you look at the original link, there was no indication of any gang member.

Now, shut it down if you guys want.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    If you look at the original link, there was no indication of any gang member.
    Always the same isn't it? As soon as someone gets killed they retrospectively turn into the sweetest guy you ever met.

Up In Smoke
    Always the same isn't it? As soon as someone gets killed they retrospectively turn into the sweetest guy you ever met.
    Sweetest guy ever?

I wouldn't go that far with it, but just because he was an alleged gang member it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve justice. Plus we need to get the killer off the streets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    Plus we need to get the killer off the streets.
    We?

Iím glad I wasnít the only one confused on that contradiction. Thought I was losing my mind again.

Up In Smoke
    We?
    Mr Pig... isn't that your job?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    Mr Pig... isn't that your job?
    Is it?

Music & Bikes
    If the shooter had a bike on him , he could have raced the victim.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    i strongly favor locking this dumpster fire of a thread...

blah blah blah .. sinner or saint or neither.. dude was commuting with his bike and someone tried to steal it and up and shot him when he tried to hold onto his bike ... as you, your children , friends..etc me... your grandma... whatever pretty much anyone would do .. and immediately the murder turned a simple property crime.. into homicide.

whatever the past / character of the victim...this should alarm all people that such evil exists in the world.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    And he wasn't. I know you think everyone waiting for the bus with a bike is a cyclist because your one "buddy" takes a train, but its not the case. l
    Never said that, nor anything even close. 100% in your imagination.
    As our resident wannabe lawyers would say, that's what's known as a strawman argument.

On the other hand, you didn't say 'THAT guy is not a cyclist', your precise quote was: 'a guy waiting for a bus with a bike is not a cyclist'.

But hey, don't let facts get in your way or anything.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

So weíve got Pig and Bacon Fat in the same thread. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? One must fry pig to get bacon fat. Wait a minute Iím gettig off topic here.

mtbr member

But hey, don't let facts get in your way or anything.
    Facts? I've provided more facts than even the news reporters have. All you have is your love story about your train buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    If the shooter had a bike on him , he could have raced the victim.
    Bikes don't race people. People race people!
    ITMFA

Bikesexual
    Well, gang member or not his gofundme is doing well.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-memory...aac-candelaria
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Well, gang member or not his gofundme is doing well.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-memory...aac-candelaria
    Of course, one of todayís BIGGEST scams. Not sure on this one but it is a holy grail way for some to find the promise land in income. America is so easy for those that are crooked, we cater to the criminal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Facts? I've provided more facts than even the news reporters have. All you have is your love story about your train buddy.
    Did I mention how handsome he was?
    Also, not a gang member?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.