Brexit, A Brit expat explains the truth behind the emotion.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,220

    Brexit, A Brit expat explains the truth behind the emotion.

    I am frankly not surprised at the fact that the UK is in such a mess over the process of leaving the EU. For it is a mess, with seemingly no suitable way to satisfy the meaningless rhetoric that surrounded the call to take the UK out of the Union, and to once again "Stand on its Own as a Proud Independent Nation". "Make Britain Great Again" perhaps?

    As a Brit expat living in a mostly blue city, buried in a red state on the southern border of the US, I remember watching first with interest, then with mounting horror as the lead up to the Brexit Referendum wobbled its way to the surprising conclusion it eventually reached. I fell into the same trap that ensnared many in the UK at the time, that the country could not possibly vote for something so stupid as Brexit. Something that would bring nothing but economic devastation and geopolitical instability.

    I should not have been surprised though, when I looked at what both sides were saying in the lead up: neither really had anything coherent to say that was not emotion-driven. I tried to find a sensible argument for either opinion in the media at the time, but struggled. What so many people forgot was that the average British voter is easily swayed by what he or she reads in the Rag of the Day, or by blatant untruths emblazoning the sides of buses, and also by what he or she hears over a pint down the pub. Sense is too easily trumped by emotion, and there was plenty of emotioneering going on.

    The uber-posh narcissistic crypto-fascists that were mainly behind the Brexit movement had really very little interest in the good of Britain and the people, but were more concerned with amassing their own power. How else can you possibly explain how anyone could lead an entire country into the morass of chaotic confusion that it now finds itself in?

    With geographical distance, it is easier for me to stand back and look at a slightly bigger picture, especially with what is being found to be going on in this country right now.
    Who really stands to gain from a fragmented and toothless Europe? Ah yes, the old master plotters themselves, the Russians There is nothing more that Vlad would like rather than a disunited Europe. He is chuckling all the way to the war room in the Kremlin to plot yet another destabilisation of a Western Nation. For they are doing just that.

    Ironically for a former communist state, they are quite openly throwing support behind far right political movements all over Europe, and into the US. This is causing all kinds of political unrest in the EU which will ultimately satisfy what Mother Russia most wants: a return to what would likely be a much enlarged Soviet Union.

    Without the help of the increasingly insular Americans, Europe and its different countries becomes a fruit ripe for picking. Russia needs the massive resources of Europe to stand against the other 2 superpowers, the United (perhaps not for long) States, and China. Think they would not do something like that? Look at Crimea, Georgia, Ukraine. It is not too much of a stretch, especially if their influence is welcomed by those who used it to gain power. I think Steve Bannon must have some Russian ancestry, since he seems to be one of the prime movers in extending Soviet influence just now.

    I hope people can wake up and see what damage is being done by listening to people with no agenda for good.
    Use this lesson to not fragment, but unify more strongly. Take a part in those decisions that the EU might make. Become aware. Don't get hung up on straight bananas and the death of the sausage. After all, petty bureaucracy was mostly invented or at least espoused by the British. It will stay no matter who is in charge, unless we all work to get rid of it. That does not come from leaving, but staying to make it better.

    The world is a very dangerous place just now. The folly of a disunited Europe will only add to that grave danger. All that was fought for, worked for and lived for over the last almost 3/4 century since the last major world conflict, all the good things that our fathers and mothers fought for to allow for us all, the good stuff, is being flushed down the toilet that is Brexit.
    It's all Here. Now.

  2. #2
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,992
    The UK is a shithole of neutered subjects that can't be trusted with plastic knives. I wouldn't visit if I was paid to.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  3. #3
    Location: 10 ft from Hell Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The UK is a shithole of neutered subjects that can't be trusted with plastic knives. I wouldn't visit if I was paid to.


    Tell us how you really feel.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,457
    It takes time for something so complicated to be implemented. There were a lot of knee-jerk predictions about Greece exiting several years ago, and they were just that, knee-jerk.

    There is no shortage of stupid sound bite forecasts and predictions. Look at recent headlines in Dems.enacting impeachment against Trump: very unlikely to happen anytime soon due to process constraints, but also foolish politically. Idiots need it hanging over for 2020, the freshman house are ****ing idiots, as are their idiot "socialist" divas.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The UK is a shithole of neutered subjects that can't be trusted with plastic knives. I wouldn't visit if I was paid to.
    Careful for what you don't wish for, the Brits might just be stupid enough to offer you $$$ to go there with that attitude...
    It's all Here. Now.

  6. #6
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,018
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I am frankly not surprised at the fact that the UK is in such a mess over the process of leaving the EU. For it is a mess, with seemingly no suitable way to satisfy the meaningless rhetoric that surrounded the call to take the UK out of the Union, and to once again "Stand on its Own as a Proud Independent Nation". "Make Britain Great Again" perhaps?

    As a Brit expat living in a mostly blue city, buried in a red state on the southern border of the US, I remember watching first with interest, then with mounting horror as the lead up to the Brexit Referendum wobbled its way to the surprising conclusion it eventually reached. I fell into the same trap that ensnared many in the UK at the time, that the country could not possibly vote for something so stupid as Brexit. Something that would bring nothing but economic devastation and geopolitical instability.

    I should not have been surprised though, when I looked at what both sides were saying in the lead up: neither really had anything coherent to say that was not emotion-driven. I tried to find a sensible argument for either opinion in the media at the time, but struggled. What so many people forgot was that the average British voter is easily swayed by what he or she reads in the Rag of the Day, or by blatant untruths emblazoning the sides of buses, and also by what he or she hears over a pint down the pub. Sense is too easily trumped by emotion, and there was plenty of emotioneering going on.

    The uber-posh narcissistic crypto-fascists that were mainly behind the Brexit movement had really very little interest in the good of Britain and the people, but were more concerned with amassing their own power. How else can you possibly explain how anyone could lead an entire country into the morass of chaotic confusion that it now finds itself in?

    With geographical distance, it is easier for me to stand back and look at a slightly bigger picture, especially with what is being found to be going on in this country right now.
    Who really stands to gain from a fragmented and toothless Europe? Ah yes, the old master plotters themselves, the Russians There is nothing more that Vlad would like rather than a disunited Europe. He is chuckling all the way to the war room in the Kremlin to plot yet another destabilisation of a Western Nation. For they are doing just that.

    Ironically for a former communist state, they are quite openly throwing support behind far right political movements all over Europe, and into the US. This is causing all kinds of political unrest in the EU which will ultimately satisfy what Mother Russia most wants: a return to what would likely be a much enlarged Soviet Union.

    Without the help of the increasingly insular Americans, Europe and its different countries becomes a fruit ripe for picking. Russia needs the massive resources of Europe to stand against the other 2 superpowers, the United (perhaps not for long) States, and China. Think they would not do something like that? Look at Crimea, Georgia, Ukraine. It is not too much of a stretch, especially if their influence is welcomed by those who used it to gain power. I think Steve Bannon must have some Russian ancestry, since he seems to be one of the prime movers in extending Soviet influence just now.

    I hope people can wake up and see what damage is being done by listening to people with no agenda for good.
    Use this lesson to not fragment, but unify more strongly. Take a part in those decisions that the EU might make. Become aware. Don't get hung up on straight bananas and the death of the sausage. After all, petty bureaucracy was mostly invented or at least espoused by the British. It will stay no matter who is in charge, unless we all work to get rid of it. That does not come from leaving, but staying to make it better.

    The world is a very dangerous place just now. The folly of a disunited Europe will only add to that grave danger. All that was fought for, worked for and lived for over the last almost 3/4 century since the last major world conflict, all the good things that our fathers and mothers fought for to allow for us all, the good stuff, is being flushed down the toilet that is Brexit.
    RC, can you sum this up in a few simple sentences? I, as well as others, am on holiday and do not want to read so deeply. Thanks mate!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  7. #7
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,220
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    It takes time for something so complicated to be implemented. There were a lot of knee-jerk predictions about Greece exiting several years ago, and they were just that, knee-jerk.

    There is no shortage of stupid sound bite forecasts and predictions. Look at recent headlines in Dems.enacting impeachment against Trump: very unlikely to happen anytime soon due to process constraints, but also foolish politically. Idiots need it hanging over for 2020, the freshman house are ****ing idiots, as are their idiot "socialist" divas.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Please don't turn this into a US House and anti Socialist rant.

    You are right about something so complex taking time. That was the Brexiteers' first mistake to assume this would be an easy out. All the talk about a "hard Brexit" is meaningless because the outcome of such a thing would be just as chaotic as a "soft" one. Fact is that in the light of global politics, any exit, with the current weakening of the union all around, would be a disaster. Europe risks becoming just another sideshow like the Middle East: Only good for the superpowers to make a fast buck, and as a theater to test run their new weapons of war.
    It's all Here. Now.

  8. #8
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    RC, can you sum this up in a few simple sentences? I, as well as others, am on holiday and do not want to read so deeply. Thanks mate!
    Sure, Britain is fukked.
    It's all Here. Now.

  9. #9
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,018
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Sure, Britain is fukked.
    Thank you, sir.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,457
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Please don't turn this into a US House and anti Socialist rant.

    You are right about something so complex taking time. That was the Brexiteers' first mistake to assume this would be an easy out. All the talk about a "hard Brexit" is meaningless because the outcome of such a thing would be just as chaotic as a "soft" one. Fact is that in the light of global politics, any exit, with the current weakening of the union all around, would be a disaster. Europe risks becoming just another sideshow like the Middle East: Only good for the superpowers to make a fast buck, and as a theater to test run their new weapons of war.
    Free speech is okay with me. Just using it as an example, but your point t is well taken.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LargeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Please don't turn this into a US House and anti Socialist rant.

    You are right about something so complex taking time. That was the Brexiteers' first mistake to assume this would be an easy out. All the talk about a "hard Brexit" is meaningless because the outcome of such a thing would be just as chaotic as a "soft" one. Fact is that in the light of global politics, any exit, with the current weakening of the union all around, would be a disaster. Europe risks becoming just another sideshow like the Middle East: Only good for the superpowers to make a fast buck, and as a theater to test run their new weapons of war.
    That is precisely why Brexit NEEDS to happen. Cant make this stuff up. Because of the EU Britain has become a middle eastern country, with parts you cant go to now, due to Sharia law.
    :nono:

  12. #12
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,220
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    That is precisely why Brexit NEEDS to happen. Cant make this stuff up. Because of the EU Britain has become a middle eastern country, with parts you cant go to now, due to Sharia law.
    Ah yes, that's an argument heard down the pub all the time...
    It's all Here. Now.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LargeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Ah yes, that's an argument heard down the pub all the time...
    My family at the pub discuss it every night, what about yours? What part do they live in? Stupid Wanker.
    :nono:

  14. #14
    Don't Tread on Me
    Reputation: Lopaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    850
    Britian...meh. My ancestors left that train wreck generations ago. The EU has little to offer and is infected with multiple cancers. Death for Europe will be slow and painful. The Brits rightly want out believing they can do better on their own but the cancer is just as malignant in Britain as the rest of the EU. They have carefully nurtured the causes of their demise.

    Brexit is not about nationalism. Brexit is about survival. It has everything to do with a malignant culture. Sadly the metastasized cells of death have a firm foothold on the coasts of this nation and to our North. God help us.

    Just sayin.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,715
    https://forums.mtbr.com/site-feedbac...s-1077662.html

    Political post.. /closed as per rules above.

Similar Threads

  1. The Braille Exit - Brexit is now closed
    By fc in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 11:32 AM
  2. OT: Brexit the Reality
    By ancient rascal in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 07-11-2016, 01:31 PM
  3. How to get even better CRC pricing due to Brexit??
    By kabayan in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-25-2016, 11:46 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2016, 08:33 PM
  5. BH Emotion Neo Jumper great bike bought from poor dealer...
    By LTZ470 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2015, 06:43 AM

Members who have read this thread: 49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.