Pole Taival- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pole Taival

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Pole Taival

I'm considering getting one of these. I can't decide whether or not to go with 27.5+ or 29x2.6.

Customer service doesn't seem positive 2.6 will work and said it "might be tight"

I'm thinking the TR build in XL but with no dropper post because I have a spare. This should save a bit on cost.

mtbr member
    I was looking at this frame a while back and some people have run 2.6" tires in it. But, tires vary a lot in actual size/shape so that doesn't mean every tire labelled 2.6" will work and what passes for "enough" tire clearance to the frame varies a lot from rider to rider as well.

One of the other bikes I was looking at was the GG Pedalhead. It will fit 2.6" tires without much concern and gets rave reviews from folks that have tried the bike.

Also made in the US if that matters to you.

https://ridegg.com/pedalhead
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I was looking at this frame a while back and some people have run 2.6" tires in it. But, tires vary a lot in actual size/shape so that doesn't mean every tire labelled 2.6" will work and what passes for "enough" tire clearance to the frame varies a lot from rider to rider as well.

One of the other bikes I was looking at was the GG Pedalhead. It will fit 2.6" tires without much concern and gets rave reviews from folks that have tried the bike.

Also made in the US if that matters to you.

https://ridegg.com/pedalhead
    Thanks Vik, I was considering the Pedalhead as well, but they said that it only supports around a 125mm dropper. That ruled it out for me. Otherwise, cool bike.

I think I'm just going to take a chance and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi, I have a Taival. Recently went from 27.5x2.6 to 29x2.3 in the rear. The HR2 2.3 barely fits. It's actually quite disappointing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skileh View Post
    Hi, I have a Taival. Recently went from 27.5x2.6 to 29x2.3 in the rear. The HR2 2.3 barely fits. It's actually quite disappointing.
    Hmmm, what size rim width? That seems strange? Brawlo in another thread was able to fit 2.6 front and rear using DT Swiss 30mm rims.

What year and size is yours?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    30mm DT EX511 rim. 27.5x2.6 wasn't a problem, the 29x2.3 is. I'll post up a picture. If I had to do this over again, I'd rather buy a Taiwan made Chromag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Taival tire clearance depends of the size of the frame. So XL will fit taller tires than S, because the chain stays are longer in those bigger frames.

mtbr member
    30mm DT EX511 rim. 27.5x2.6 wasn't a problem, the 29x2.3 is. I'll post up a picture. If I had to do this over again, I'd rather buy a Taiwan made Chromag.
    Dang! A Maxxis 2.3 is a road tire in my world.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm selling my 2019 Taival in size Large frame with Fox 36 Performance Elite 29 fork, 44mm offset.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2635161/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Seems odd - I hit up multiple owners and they said 2.5 was no issue in the rear. One of them had a high roller 2.5 x 29

Quote Originally Posted by miamia View Post
    Taival tire clearance depends of the size of the frame. So XL will fit taller tires than S, because the chain stays are longer in those bigger frames.
    yeah maybe that's it, because I haven't heard this from anyone else

Dang! A Maxxis 2.3 is a road tire in my world.
    ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    I'm selling my 2019 Taival in size Large frame with Fox 36 Performance Elite 29 fork, 44mm offset.

Why ya selling if I may ask?

And with the thread above, can you comment how big of tires you were able to fit?
    Last edited by forealz; 09-06-2019 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    [QUOTE=forealz;14302727]Seems odd - I hit up multiple owners and they said 2.5 was no issue in the rear. One of them had a high roller 2.5 x 29

yeah maybe that's it, because I haven't heard this from anyone else

ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post

Why ya selling if I may ask?

And with the thread above, can you comment how big of tires you were able to fit?
    I moved from NY to UT, which has way more vertical feet and switching to FS makes sense to me, considering the lack of time to ride both. I wish I could keep two bikes, but steel hardtail has to go.
    I was able to fit 2.5 DHR II with enough mud clearance. 30mm ARC30 rims, large frame.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    To bring up the tire size again, I was wondering the widest Maxxis tire you guys are running on the rear? I have a medium frame, i30 rims and the Aggressor 2.5WT didn't fit. Probably try a DHR 2.4 next. Kinda bummed about the tire clearance, thought there'd be more...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyval View Post
    To bring up the tire size again, I was wondering the widest Maxxis tire you guys are running on the rear? I have a medium frame, i30 rims and the Aggressor 2.5WT didn't fit. Probably try a DHR 2.4 next. Kinda bummed about the tire clearance, thought there'd be more...
    My XL just shipped, so this is disconcerting.

What year is your frame? Have you reached out to support? Multiple people including support/sales have said 2.5 should work and that 2.6 may work.

There's also a Pole Owners Facebook group. Lots of people post there. You may want to consider doing that too to ask other owners of their experiences.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    My XL just shipped, so this is disconcerting.

What year is your frame? Have you reached out to support? Multiple people including support/sales have said 2.5 should work and that 2.6 may work.

There's also a Pole Owners Facebook group. Lots of people post there. You may want to consider doing that too to ask other owners of their experiences.
    Tire clearance seems to vary by frame size. If you are on an XL you should be getting the 2.5"/2.6" clearance.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Its a 2018, I think you'll be fine with the longer chain stays on the XL. I haven't reached out to Pole but I will and see what they have to say... I measured the widest part of the tire and it is coming out at 2.6...

mtbr member
    Tire clearance seems to vary by frame size. If you are on an XL you should be getting the 2.5"/2.6" clearance.
    Hope so thanks Vik!

Quote Originally Posted by skyval View Post
    Its a 2018, I think you'll be fine with the longer chain stays on the XL. I haven't reached out to Pole but I will and see what they have to say... I measured the widest part of the tire and it is coming out at 2.6...
    Yeah, keep us posted!