Evolink 140 150mm Dropper Post?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Evolink 140 150mm Dropper Post?

Just wondering if anyone with a Medium Evolink is managing to use a 150mm dropper post? It's on my shortlist for my next frame, but the limited seatpost insertion length is making me hesitate.

The max seatpost insertion is stated as 208mm. According to my calcs, I won't be able to fit a 150mm dropper post as the extended height of the post will be too high.

I'm 6'0" with 34" inseam.

Chris
    Mechanical Engineer and certified bike mechanic - [email protected]

mtbr member
    Probably not likely to work.
    Some of the newer ones have much shorter total heights...and some manufacturers have just inaccurate info on their items in my experience.
    I ride an Evolink 158 large frame. It can accommodate 250mm inside the seat tube.
    Iím 6í with a 33 inseam.
    Recently purchased a rockshox reverb b1 150mm dropper. Listed length 440mm. With the stock connectamajig hose, it was a bit tall outside of frame for proper ride height. I couldnít at first figure how it was too big until I realized that their length didnít include the connectamajig or the rigid hose end that added appx 40mm of useless length, making the effective length somewhere around 480mm.
    I replaced the connection with that from an ďaĒ model and itís just right. That dropped a good 30mm off the post length.
    Might be able to do a BikeYoke Revive, as Iíve heard thatís one of the smallest insertion lengths out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not overly fast, not slow, kinda halfast

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

Interesting you went for the Large frame. Pole recommended I go for the medium with almost the same height/inseam as you. Do you have particularly long torso/arms? I'm interested to hear whether I should be considering the Large too.

What length stem are you running?

I haven't had a new style frame like this with steeper seat-tube, long reach and quite slack head angle, so maybe I should be considering the Large...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Bill View Post
    Probably not likely to work.
    Some of the newer ones have much shorter total heights...and some manufacturers have just inaccurate info on their items in my experience.
    I ride an Evolink 158 large frame. It can accommodate 250mm inside the seat tube.
    Iím 6í with a 33 inseam.
    Recently purchased a rockshox reverb b1 150mm dropper. Listed length 440mm. With the stock connectamajig hose, it was a bit tall outside of frame for proper ride height. I couldnít at first figure how it was too big until I realized that their length didnít include the connectamajig or the rigid hose end that added appx 40mm of useless length, making the effective length somewhere around 480mm.
    I replaced the connection with that from an ďaĒ model and itís just right. That dropped a good 30mm off the post length.
    Might be able to do a BikeYoke Revive, as Iíve heard thatís one of the smallest insertion lengths out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by field_c View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

Interesting you went for the Large frame. Pole recommended I go for the medium with almost the same height/inseam as you. Do you have particularly long torso/arms? I'm interested to hear whether I should be considering the Large too.

What length stem are you running?

I haven't had a new style frame like this with steeper seat-tube, long reach and quite slack head angle, so maybe I should be considering the Large...

Chris
    I tend to like my frame to be on the larger side. I rode a large in my last bike (Niner Rip 9) as well and found it suited me very nicely. For some reason, I just find it more comfortable.

I typically require a 35 arm length shirt minimum in a dress shirt if that helps.

I run a 40mm e.13 base stem on my 158 with Chromag 35 Fubars. I have my seat slightly toward the back on its rails from center. Iíve only ridden the new frame 4 times, I love how it fits.

Iíll admit Iím a bit of an oddball on a bike. I ride an All Mountain/Enduro bike despite riding mostly XC stuff living in south Florida. I do take trips into New York State to downhill ride, so having a frame that can do both was important to me. I also tend to ride heavy casing tires, as I prefer the feel and durability of them to the light casing racers many ride around my area. I do not consider myself a highly skilled rider...more of a rolling jackhammer who sledges his way through, over, and around things. I know itís a lot of info, but I wanted to give you a better idea of who I am as a rider so you can compare.

I will say this, I absolutely love the looks I get as I pull my bike off my car at the local XC trail. Itís long as a bus, but still feels nimble, which I found pleasing. It also keeps up with the local XC bikes on the trail despite weighing some 30+lb and being a foot longer than most of them out there lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Great thanks for the info, very useful!

Big Test Icycles
    I just built up my Lg 158 and went with a One Up dropper with 150mm. It fits perfectly for the frame and itís inserted completely. The One Up posts are adjustable by 20mm I believe so for the minimum insertion on the Evolink frame it works well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    I just built up my Lg 158 and went with a One Up dropper with 150mm. It fits perfectly for the frame and itís inserted completely. The One Up posts are adjustable by 20mm I believe so for the minimum insertion on the Evolink frame it works well.

Might have been that mine was the 170mm version of V1. It inserted all the way, but the cable outer actuation was affected and resulted in inconsistent performance