mtbr member
    Apr 2011

What's next for pivot??

Any rumors if pivot will be dropping anything new anytime soon?? Maybe updated SB next year, or something to split the difference between it and the FB29?

mtbr member
    They traditionally have not launched bikes after September with the exception of the Mach 6 last year.

For 2019, I predict 429SL, Switchblade and Vault updates. Personally, I'd still like to see a 27.5 version of the Trail 429. Think a Mach 4 with revised geometry and increased travel.

mtbr member
    I agree with edraunbeck, it's got to be a new 429SL followed by a Switchblade and Vault next, I would hazard I guess that we see one bike this or next month and the others next year, in the above order...

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Looking at their website today, possibly they are looking at going direct to market

Appears you can now configure your build, couldn't see a way to buy a bike directly from Pivot........yet

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    you can get the the Trail 429 as a 27.5?

Chump
    I agree a 429SL update is due. And that they're likely either updating the Switchblade to push it more towards Mach 6 territory, or potentially introducing a new model 29" bike in-between the Switchblade and the Firebird 29. I would also guess that we'll see the Live Valve available on more bikes. And maybe an aluminum 5.5.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dg designs View Post
    Only plus sized tires though. I'd be happy with 2.35 - 2.5.

mtbr member
    New eBike

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Tech View Post
    Looking at their website today, possibly they are looking at going direct to market

Appears you can now configure your build, couldn't see a way to buy a bike directly from Pivot........yet
    Yep, they really need to do this if they don't want to lose (more) sales. I thought I read an article earlier this year claiming Pivot was going to direct sales by the end of the year. But I could never find the article again.
    I'm about 90% sure my next bike will be bought direct.
    Twilight falls upon old souls darkening our skin & bone.Soon I'll follow Prudence home until then just let me chase this sun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    Only plus sized tires though. I'd be happy with 2.35 - 2.5.
    This, if they made a 27.5 normal width trail 429 Id be all over it. As it stands all this plus and super boost crap pivot is pulling will guarantee my next bike will not be another pivot. Very happy with my m6, but id like to see something with a tad less travel without having to go to either 29s or crazy plus widths/super boost. 27.5x2.35ish is plenty wide for me.

Geaux ride!
    They traditionally have not launched bikes after September with the exception of the Mach 6 last year.

For 2019, I predict 429SL, Switchblade and Vault updates. Personally, I'd still like to see a 27.5 version of the Trail 429. Think a Mach 4 with revised geometry and increased travel.
    The current (albeit non-boost) 429SL was released in December 2014. Boost and 27.5+ compatibility was new for August 2016. As it's now September, I'm hoping history will repeat itself this year with an announcement this December...
    2011 Jamis Dakar XCR Team
    2018 Spot Rocker SS

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive View Post
    This, if they made a 27.5 normal width trail 429 Id be all over it. As it stands all this plus and super boost crap pivot is pulling will guarantee my next bike will not be another pivot. Very happy with my m6, but id like to see something with a tad less travel without having to go to either 29s or crazy plus widths/super boost. 27.5x2.35ish is plenty wide for me.
    Like you, I love my M6. There is always the 5.5. That is the only Pivot bike that interest me at the moment.
    Twilight falls upon old souls darkening our skin & bone.Soon I'll follow Prudence home until then just let me chase this sun

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Iím hoping for an aggressive 429sl update with live valve. Like an intense sniper/sniper trail but with dw link and live valve.

mtbr member
    140mm travel 27.5" boost(not plus) live valve.... and a triangle that fits a bottle cage. Then take a page out of specialized's book and integrate a tool somewhere.

Handmade in Switzerland
    140mm travel 27.5" boost(not plus) live valve.... and a triangle that fits a bottle cage. Then take a page out of specialized's book and integrate a tool somewhere.
    That's a Pivot Mach 5.5!

mtbr member
    SS option Les 27.5 would be nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    That's a Pivot Mach 5.5!
    it comes from the factory with 2.6s on all the builds... i want normal 2.35 sizing...and its 160mm upfront id want 140 all around. Forgot to mention aluminum option for us poor people.
    So that being said offer an alloy 5.5 with 2.35s and 140 all the way around and i'm sold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not judging or being sarcastic but why is there so much hate for super boost. I just got my trail 429 and love it. Is it only because of the limited hub availability? I dont plan on buying new wheels anytime soon so i really could care less. Yes its a little heavier but i didnt buy this to race World cup XC and im a Clydesdale so...

mtbr member
    Nothing against SB hubs, but it doesn't seem necessary for 27.5 wheels which jahkneefive wants.

EDventure

Turns right to go left
    I guess Pivot attempted to lead the market to Super Boost with the new Trail 429 and so far none of the industry heavy hitters are following.... New releases from Yeti (SB 100 and SB 150), Santa Cruz (Blur and 5150), Cannondale (Jekyll), Kona (Process and Honzo) and Trek (Slash), to name a few, have stuck with "regular" Boost.

Most of these new models will not be replaced for three to four years.

Whoopsie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not judging or being sarcastic but why is there so much hate for super boost. I just got my trail 429 and love it. Is it only because of the limited hub availability? I dont plan on buying new wheels anytime soon so i really could care less. Yes its a little heavier but i didnt buy this to race World cup XC and im a Clydesdale so...
    For people who have multiple bikes or wheels that may want to change wheels between bikes, chances of those other bikes/wheels being super boost are quite small. So then interchanging rear wheels is a no-go. Given the cost of wheels, that becomes a real issue. If all bikes/wheels were super boost, I imagine you would hear a lot less grumbling about it. If you only have one bike and one set of wheels, it's probably a non-issue.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Alloy 5.5 and Trail 429?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bleh, I want a slacker trail/AM 29er! (I don't care for the term enduro)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    I guess Pivot attempted to lead the market to Super Boost with the new Trail 429 and so far none of the industry heavy hitters are following.... New releases from Yeti (SB 100 and SB 150), Santa Cruz (Blur and 5150), Cannondale (Jekyll), Kona (Process and Honzo) and Trek (Slash), to name a few, have stuck with "regular" Boost.

Whoopsie.
    Neither Trek or Cannondale are industry leaders in anything. They are followers not leaders in innovation.

But I get your point with Yeti and Santa Cruz, they are much bigger than Pivot, but are considered Boutique bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDon View Post
    Neither Trek or Cannondale are industry leaders in anything. They are followers not leaders in innovation.

But I get your point with Yeti and Santa Cruz, they are much bigger than Pivot, but are considered Boutique bikes
    But Trek is definitely a "heavy hitter." Along with Giant and Specialized, there's arguably no brands that hit heavier.

But, some smaller brands (Knolly) and mid-size (Devinci) have hopped on board. I hope more jump on board...and wish Yeti had.

Where's my updated Switchblade!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post
    For people who have multiple bikes or wheels that may want to change wheels between bikes, chances of those other bikes/wheels being super boost are quite small. So then interchanging rear wheels is a no-go. Given the cost of wheels, that becomes a real issue. If all bikes/wheels were super boost, I imagine you would hear a lot less grumbling about it. If you only have one bike and one set of wheels, it's probably a non-issue.
    Cool. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something inherently wrong with it. I can see it being a deal killer if you are wanting to swap wheels among bikes but this is my only ride and probably will be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    But Trek is definitely a "heavy hitter." Along with Giant and Specialized, there's arguably no brands that hit heavier.

But, some smaller brands (Knolly) and mid-size (Devinci) have hopped on board. I hope more jump on board...and wish Yeti had.

Where's my updated Switchblade!!!!!
    Oh they are heavy hitters no doubt, but they are not leaders with innovation. They are the most non committal manufacturers there are. Until the marketplace says yes, 157 SB is taking off they will have nothing to do with it.

And an updated Switchblade is blasphemy

Elitest thrill junkie
    Electric side-by-side.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    ... Think a Mach 4 with revised geometry and increased travel.
    This is what I want to see^^^ esp. if they keep it on the light side and no super-duper-pooper-boost
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Lets not forget that Trek was one of the first if not the first to introduce the BOOST standard back in 2014.

mtbr member
    to the points above, yes my primary issue with SB is that its not widely accepted/available making spares and rim switching problematic for my tastes. I don't hate the technology persay, just don't feel like suffering for being an early adopter.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Tech View Post
    FYI, we are not going direct.

We did build a cool B2B site, with these features, and it allowed us to offer the configure tool for those wanting to see all the options. You will eventually be able to email what you configured over to your PIVOT dealer, which I think is a cool feature.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    FYI, we are not going direct.

We did build a cool B2B site, with these features, and it allowed us to offer the configure tool for those wanting to see all the options. You will eventually be able to email what you configured over to your PIVOT dealer, which I think is a cool feature.
    Thatís awesome news Dan!

kk2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I would bet it will be 429 SL with something like 69deg head angle with 100mm fork and the reach increased by 20mm to match the "modern" geometry. There is basically no XC 29ers left on the market with HA over 70deg. Also something to bridge Mach4 and Mach5.5 would be nice 140-130mm front suspension and 125-130 on the back with about 67 deg HA. Something close to Santa Cruz 5010. As for Mach 4 leave it the way it is. I love mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not judging or being sarcastic but why is there so much hate for super boost. I just got my trail 429 and love it. Is it only because of the limited hub availability?
    You can't get the same q-factor on your cranks with 157. That is my problem with "superboost", or BS 157. Knees don't like it. And heel clearance is worse. Plenty of 157 hubs available, they've been on DH-bikes a long time already. Super-boost just offsets the non-drive side hub flange a bit compared to SB157. You can use both, the non-BS 157 will give you more even spoke tension which is better...

Would have bought a switchblade and probably a trail 429 too but the move to 157 put me off. IMO they would be even better with a slightly longer chainstay, especially switchblade (cs was one of the reasons why they went 157).

------

ALLOY FIREBIRD as FRAME-ONLY PLEASE!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm curious to see if the next Switchblade gets "modern" 29er geometry. (i.e. longer reach, STA 76-78 degrees and short offset fork.) I honestly feel like the new Trail 429 missed the mark on geometry. I really wanted to like the bike when I demo'd it, and don't get me wrong, it's still probably one of the better handling bikes I've ridden. However, having just come off an SB100 demo and having also ridden a Ripmo recently the T429 geo felt outdated. My next bike will definitely be a 29er with a long reach and steep STA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNotShow View Post
    I'm curious to see if the next Switchblade gets "modern" 29er geometry. (i.e. longer reach, STA 76-78 degrees and short offset fork.) I honestly feel like the new Trail 429 missed the mark on geometry. I really wanted to like the bike when I demo'd it, and don't get me wrong, it's still probably one of the better handling bikes I've ridden. However, having just come off an SB100 demo and having also ridden a Ripmo recently the T429 geo felt outdated. My next bike will definitely be a 29er with a long reach and steep STA.
    That Yeti SB130 ticks all those boxes right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jalea View Post
    That Yeti SB130 ticks all those boxes right now

2 reasons i didn't wait for the Yet. 1. Yeti dealers, not internet trolls telling me warranty issues can be a challenge. Dont care if it is lifetime, if they say no it doesn't matter and there are way to many stories about triangles breaking. Im not small and with my luck i would tip over on a rock and snap it. Overbuilt is good for me. The other reason is the price. Doesnt look like they have the base Shimano build anymore and i like 11 sp. I also hear a lot of negativity about the SRAM cheaper brakes. Not spending close to 6 grand on a bike and having to replace the brakes. My SLX/XT build for me lacks nothing. It may not be the cool guy build most guys will do but it got me on bike that i am having a blast with. And trust me for a guy with probably close to 4 grand in RC racing stuff, im not one that takes "settling" lightly. I never do it.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDon View Post
    And an updated Switchblade is blasphemy
    Agree!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Colors!
    I ride with 3 other Switchblades!

Enough with all the cheesy ass graphics touting travel and hub width.

Otherwise there are so many good choices. Love my SB more than any bike I've ever owned. Then I get on my 5.5 and and it's snappiness makes me grin ear to ear.

Wish I had trails around here to justify a FB29.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbreath View Post
    Colors!
    I ride with 3 other Switchblades!

Enough with all the cheesy ass graphics touting travel and hub width.

Otherwise there are so many good choices. Love my SB more than any bike I've ever owned. Then I get on my 5.5 and and it's snappiness makes me grin ear to ear.

Wish I had trails around here to justify a FB29.
    I agree on more colors (painted)

I think the blue SB is one the prettiest colors I have seen. That blue Mach 6 is also a sick color

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I don t see any other mid travel bikes being superior to the SB. That includes the SB130. Like others mentioned, the alloy version was released recently.

I noticed on the SB130 thread there was no bashing of the PF BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

What's next for pivot??

Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I on the SB130 thread there was no bashing of the PF BB.

Haha. Give them time...

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Yeah. I do admit PF30 or external is better at this point. So far no issues with RWC PF92 with 30mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would snap one of those up like a shot !!

Geaux ride!
    I guess we are all wrong, Pivot Les Fat is getting a minor update at least: https://bikerumor.com/2018/09/24/sne...e+Rumor+RSS%29
    2011 Jamis Dakar XCR Team
    2018 Spot Rocker SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    160 Forks on Switchblades. :-)

mtbr member
    Based on deductive reasoning from some okay sources - new Vault by next spring. No word on any of the mtbs. I spent a few minutes the other day interrogating their customer service rep on their online chat about a new 429sl and they didn't give me anything. In fact, he said "we're always working on stuff but they don't tell us (customer service) anything so we don't accidentally let any information slip".

Having a nice day!
    After selling my 5.7C to my son, I now have two Pivots with no Pivots (Les and Vault)! I'd really like to see a Les Trail version that has a more trail oriented geometry and a 140mm fork. That bike would be insanely fun!

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    A couple points to clarify:
    1. Weíve been using SuperBoost on the Switchblade for almost 3 years now. Itís strange how everyone thinks itís brand new with the FB29 and Trail 429.

2. Of the bikes you mention above, which of them have 16.9-17.1Ē chain stays and the ability to run 29x2.5 WTís with plenty of mud clearance? These are both direct results of SuperBoost. The fact that the wheel is 30% stiffer laterally at the rim than Boost is a nice bonus (especially considering Boost is only about 16% stiffer than 142).

Whoopsie.
    Donít be so sure of that. I worked at Yeti when we overhauled the SB6 after a single season on the market to incorporate internal cables and Boost spacing (it was originally launched with 142 and external cables in 2014). If the stories about rear end flex and tire rub on the SB150 and SB130 are true, I wouldnít be surprised to see them do something similar in 2019.
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Too bad your not going direct. You could get the pricing down and since most bike shops are useless anyways you get rid of non value added middleman and the expense.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Too bad your not going direct. You could get the pricing down and since most bike shops are useless anyways you get rid of non value added middleman and the expense.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. We choose our dealers very carefully so that they add value to the experience and take care of our customers long after the purchase.

If you've had an experience with a Pivot dealer that differs from this, I'd appreciate it if you took a minute to email me some details of exactly what happened (my email address is in my signature below). If there's a Pivot dealer out there who's let you down in some way, we need to know so that we can make changes.

Cheers,

John P.
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My crew and I build and maintain our bikes customer so I know it's done right. I/ we have been let down by pretty much every LBS in my area. Anyways the runaway pricing is getting out of hand. The practise of brands to spec one x01 or xtr part while adding mostly gx and xt or even six is plain misleading. I know this is to reduce costs. Best way to reduce cost is go direct. I would rather see YT or Canyon pricing and save me $ 1500 or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ugh - I am certainly getting tired of every thread on regarding pivot turning into a bitching fest about Super Boost. There's a handful of mfg's doing it, Pivot is just one of a few early adopters. It's an engineering solution to what we all want: Short Stays, big tire clearance. Give it another year, I'm sure many more building bikes in this category will adopt it as well as a solution to design challenges for market demand.

I love the pivot bikes. I admittedly am excited to see a Switchblade revamp, as I really like it, but want to wait for an update before pulling the trigger. I've probably drank the koolaid, but I like the steeper STA and slacker HTA.. and I have a feeling they will move it in that direction.

Freezer
    My crew and I build and maintain our bikes customer so I know it's done right. I/ we have been let down by pretty much every LBS in my area. Anyways the runaway pricing is getting out of hand. The practise of brands to spec one x01 or xtr part while adding mostly gx and xt or even six is plain misleading. I know this is to reduce costs. Best way to reduce cost is go direct. I would rather see YT or Canyon pricing and save me $ 1500 or so.
    I do the same for the same reason, plus I have fun building and am very particular about components. I do know however, that even with a boutique brand like Pivot, we are in the minority. The vast majority of sales are of complete bikes through a brick and mortar LBS or online retailer. As such, it's clear that there's a place in the supply chain for those distributors as most consumers see some value add from that channel. And whether you want to admit it or not, you probably do too, if for nothing else to see and lay hands on product.

The bottom line is that while going to a direct model may benefit a few consumers on pricing, from a company's perspective it's a pretty marginalized strategy usually utilized by players entering a new market with no/little brand equity. Pivot is neither of those so it would make no sense going direct given their existing market position. Apologies for the B-School marketing lecture.
    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _tarzan View Post
    You can't get the same q-factor on your cranks with 157. That is my problem with "superboost", or BS 157. Knees don't like it. And heel clearance is worse. Plenty of 157 hubs available, they've been on DH-bikes a long time already. Super-boost just offsets the non-drive side hub flange a bit compared to SB157. You can use both, the non-BS 157 will give you more even spoke tension which is better...

Would have bought a switchblade and probably a trail 429 too but the move to 157 put me off. IMO they would be even better with a slightly longer chainstay, especially switchblade (cs was one of the reasons why they went 157).

------

ALLOY FIREBIRD as FRAME-ONLY PLEASE!!!
    Have you test ridden the bikes? Or is your opinion based on a numbers sheet, and geo chart? Just curious.

I have size 13 feet - size 48 cycling shoes. I have no issues with heal clearance on the rear end of the bike. I should clarify this, if the Rear Axle lever is pointed forward, I have touched that with my shoe once. But I point that rearward and have no issues. I have better clearance on my Switchblade than I did on the Mach 4 Boost rear end.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Limited hub availability is my only gripe. Makes it hard to buy/sell wheels. If not other manufacturers adopt this standard in the next year or two I hope Pivot will get rid of it.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    Limited hub availability is my only gripe. Makes it hard to buy/sell wheels. If not other manufacturers adopt this standard in the next year or two I hope Pivot will get rid of it.
    There is no limited hub availability. 157 is a DH hub standard. ALL 157 hubs will work on our bikes...

That being said, some DH hubs don't have the wider hub standard to give you the improved wheel stiffness.

Currently you can get hubs from DT, I9, SRAM, Onyx, and a number of others out there. So, this should be a non-issue.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    There is no limited hub availability. 157 is a DH hub standard. ALL 157 hubs will work on our bikes...

That being said, some DH hubs don't have the wider hub standard to give you the improved wheel stiffness.

Currently you can get hubs from DT, I9, SRAM, Onyx, and a number of others out there. So, this should be a non-issue.
    In theory... but in practice what I can get is ridiculously expensive hubs from your dealers at around 300-400Ä (i9, 240s).

In Europe there are no DT 350 or some cheaper alternative hubs with 157mm spacing, and why would I get old hub with narrow flanges and pair it with "super boost plus" frame since there's no benefit.
    I also don't want heavy hub on my trail bike, so that leaves me with those 300-400Ä options that are ridiculously overpriced because I can get whole wheelset in regular or boost format with decent hubs and quality rims for the cost of one of "premium" super boost rear hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dan
    One of the benefits of using 157 is the stiffness benefits of the rim spoke bracing interface Got it, but why give that back by specing 28 spoke wheelset instead of 32..

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Yes, that's true, but you don't sell frame sets or frame only... bummer...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    I do the same for the same reason, plus I have fun building and am very particular about components. I do know however, that even with a boutique brand like Pivot, we are in the minority. The vast majority of sales are of complete bikes through a brick and mortar LBS or online retailer. As such, it's clear that there's a place in the supply chain for those distributors as most consumers see some value add from that channel. And whether you want to admit it or not, you probably do too, if for nothing else to see and lay hands on product.

The bottom line is that while going to a direct model may benefit a few consumers on pricing, from a company's perspective it's a pretty marginalized strategy usually utilized by players entering a new market with no/little brand equity. Pivot is neither of those so it would make no sense going direct given their existing market position. Apologies for the B-School marketing lecture.
    No worries and Yes I agree with you. Just getting tired of seeing these prices go out of control. Speaking of SB157 Liked my Switchblade quite a bit but when I blew up my I9 rear hub all I could do is stare at at my boost 148 wheelset and sigh..wish this bike was 148..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've hear talks of them updating the Switchblade. I'm hoping the do it soon because I'd like to get a new model. I have the '16 and all I'd like it 5-10mm more travel in the rear while keeping the sub 430mm chainstays.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Have you test ridden the bikes? Or is your opinion based on a numbers sheet, and geo chart? Just curious.

I have size 13 feet - size 48 cycling shoes. I have no issues with heal clearance on the rear end of the bike. I should clarify this, if the Rear Axle lever is pointed forward, I have touched that with my shoe once. But I point that rearward and have no issues. I have better clearance on my Switchblade than I did on the Mach 4 Boost rear end.
    It would be nice to see rear axles without levers for a cleaner look. Lighter too..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My wish list
    140mm rear travel- likely
    148 hub-no chance
    Firebird STA, TT, reach- likely
    66.5 Ha with 150 66 with 160-likely
    WB under48 for large-possible

Freezer
    No worries and Yes I agree with you. Just getting tired of seeing these prices go out of control. Speaking of SB157 Liked my Switchblade quite a bit but when I blew up my I9 rear hub all I could do is stare at at my boost 148 wheelset and sigh..wish this bike was 148..
    I'm with you brother... When I decided a few months ago that my 429SL was too small for me and the geometry too XC, I looked for a bike I could transfer all the expensive components to. I would have gone to a Swichblade or possibly a T429 but for the 157 hub and the no frame-only policy, so I ended up buying a SB4.5 frame.
    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

Freezer
    Or how about just a 29'er Mach 5.5?
    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by jalea View Post
    It would be nice to see rear axles without levers for a cleaner look. Lighter too..

Thatís what we spec now.
    PIVOT Cycles

Freezer
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Thatís what we spec now.
    Huh. Last week I got a new 5.5 frame with a DT Swiss lever rear axle. Could I exchange that axle for one without a lever? Retailer is Bikesale.com. 👍👍
    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Thatís what we spec now.
    Cool..

I don't see these as available in your web store for the 148mm axles. Just the 157mm ones ??

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    By the way I love the SuperBoost and pressfit BB on my Switchblade. I owned a lot of bikes and this is so far the stiffest and easiest setup by far.
    I would not want to go back to 148/threaded BB.

In general the amount of thought that goes into the Pivot bikes and the high quality of the frames is what makes me stick with this company now!

Can't wait to see a new Switchblade with updated geometry and maybe a tiny bit more travel.
    Filme von Draussen
    Instagram Profile
    Current bikes:
    Pivot Switchblade
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 3
    Orbea Alma

Elitest thrill junkie
    I personally do not care for the lever, however, this is never a deciding factor and only something like the 429SL should come with no lever IMO, like a lightweight Robert Axle Project instead. Otherwise, I've found the lever provides a little "barrier" when rocks get close on my AM bike. Better to scratch that then the frame. No big issues with the DT Swiss, you do have to tighten them a bit more than you think you do sometimes, but all in all they work well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bliz2z View Post
    Can't wait to see a new Switchblade with updated geometry and maybe a tiny bit more travel.
    SB doesnít need anymore travel! Leave it alone! Updated geometry (longer reach and steeper STA) ONLY!

Also, update web with more options. If youíre not gonna sell frame only, give us some variety.

mtbr member
    Shimano 12s build kits & Enve wheel options

With this guess, will the new Shimano DT Swiss 12 hub adaptor even work on SB+ DT 350 hubs?

Reynolds has been a long time supplier for Pivot but they seem to just now be catching up with wider wheel options. With Pivot being a premium brand, it seems like a great fit to offer Enve wheels as upgrade options. The doctors and dentists need bikes too.

EDventure

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have a 2106 429T and have enjoyed it. The new T429 has nice and not extreme geo and the 140 fork---but was let down by the 120 rear---essentially no real change. I find the SB not to be lively like the 429T is. I suspect 120 mm is all the current design can have given its XC roots.

So I'd like to see a bike like the 429T with say 130 to make it seem worth the upgrade and to compete with the emerging updates from others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Pivot need an aggressive AM/Enduro Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I wonder often what the big sellers actually are vs what any person thinks they want.

I guess w/o any data in order of low to high----

dh
    am
    xc
    hardtail
    trail

Be interesting to know as that may clue us into what may come. Observing folks in santa cruz I find most are really intermediate riders at best like myself----yes we have a good number of super riders but overall they are not all that skilled-(see how many actually use the bigger features vs those that go around)---and most everyone is on FS

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    As much as I loved my Switchblade, there is no going back to it or any other Pivot bike after riding a 'new geo' bike. Geometries will continuously evolve and we'll likely look back at some of these specific trends as simply being fads, but riding some of the current offerings from Ibis, Yeti, and Evil offer a demonstrable level of enjoyment that suits my style of riding that I simply could not find on a Pivot. Combine Pivot's dated geo with no frame-only option, no support to run a coil, and stuck with super boost, it's just time to move on. Not taking anything away from the brand or quality of their bikes, it's just not for me unless these things get updated in future models.
    Last edited by TrashPanda; 5 Days Ago at 09:30 AM.

2019 Evil Offering (on order)
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB
    2018 Orbea Occam TR 27.5
    FOR SALE 2017 Pivot Switchblade Carbon

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Observations
    1. Some want new geo. I guess that means slacker and/or long TT? My Following was a great bike, but I always had to be on the gas to make it enjoyable. I went up a size on my SB and slammed the stem. Itís now pushing the envelope as being too slack for me.
    2. Some feel itís too slack and wand a trail oriented bike. Thatís my 429T. Nothing wrong with that, but the SB is much more fun where I currently live.
    3. No frame only option. Iím a Pivot fan boy and this is verydisappointing.
    4. SuperBoost. All I can say is that I typically run one or two types of tires on the rear until I wear them out, so wheel change is not a big deal for me. I can see this being an issue for others, although more manufacturers are specing 157 on their mid travel 29ers.
    5. My rear Farlow wheel is going strong after a year in the mountain west. A new record for me. I donít have a back up rear wheel anymore.
    6. PF BB..I donít know why this is an issue. The Shimano and SRAM BBs are good quality. They are not hard to swap out once, maybe twice a year. The RaceFace BB sucks, but the RWC BB solves that problem. PF 30 would probably be a better option. I like the massive down tube and wide linkage points that give the SB itís exceptional stiffness. When I was riding other bikes on chunky, but still appropriate terrain I always wondered if or when they would break.
    7. Not enough travel. More travel means a more sluggish bike. Iím running 160 up front because my fork has a more aggressive tune and the bike feels more balanced when dropping of stuff. Iím definitely the weakest link.

Iím in love with my SB. I hope the next gen doesnít stray from itís true purpose as a heavy duty trail/AM bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't get why people keep saying that you can't buy a Pivot frame. Competitive Cyclist sells Pivot frames and so do other retailers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't get why people keep saying that you can't buy a Pivot frame. Competitive Cyclist sells Pivot frames and so do other retailers.
    Itís an issue with any frame that uses 157 SuperBoost rear spacing. Those frames are not ďnormallyĒ available on their own. BUT, some shops ďmightĒ be able to swing that.

mtbr member
    A Pivot employee posted in one of the threads in this sub-forum that they were not doing any more frame only sales as Chris C had some heartache with it. I took that to mean new models and new stock. So dealers with old stock on older models may still have frames to sell.

That post I referenced did not specify or restrict the no frame sales to Superboost only frames.

I think it's a terrible policy, but obviously they see some value in restricting frame only sales.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Observations
    1. Some want new geo. I guess that means slacker and/or long TT? My Following was a great bike, but I always had to be on the gas to make it enjoyable. I went up a size on my SB and slammed the stem. Itís now pushing the envelope as being too slack for me.
    My definition for "new/modern geo" is super steep STA (>76*), super slack HTA (<66*), and longer wheelbase. I don't think any of the previous Evil bikes fit that definition until their most release, the Offering. I know we are getting into subjective territory here but I believe we're going to start seeing more and more manufacturers follow this trend and I sure would like to see Pivot hop on this bandwagon.

2019 Evil Wreckoning LB
    2018 Orbea Occam TR 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    As per usual this trend may get a bit extreme and then we may see a moderation --or maybe not

For me on a large riding in santa cruz--a reach of 460 is about it---these bikes at 480 do not work for me. And we seem to be getting shorter ETT which for me with very long legs is an issue--I need ETT at no less than 635 or with a very steep seat tube a bit more. And this very long wb's by their nature are less snappy but more stable--which some will like and others not so much

So for me I like the new geo but not at the extremes----I am sure the highly aggressive rider likes the more extreme examples

I am liking that there are very few poor bikes any longer and we have choices---so I can ride a Pivot 429/Intense Primer/Norco Sight------with geo I like and others can ride the new Evil/Yeti SB130---150 so all good

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TrashPanda View Post
    My definition for "new/modern geo" is super steep STA (>76*), super slack HTA (<66*), and longer wheelbase. I don't think any of the previous Evil bikes fit that definition until their most release, the Offering. I know we are getting into subjective territory here but I believe we're going to start seeing more and more manufacturers follow this trend and I sure would like to see Pivot hop on this bandwagon.
    Looks like you need a Firebird 29 then...

STA 75.5
    HTA 65

If you flip the chip to raise the BB a little you get these numbers...

STA 76.25
    HTA 65.5
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Looks like you need a Firebird 29 then...

STA 75.5
    HTA 65

If you flip the chip to raise the BB a little you get these numbers...

STA 76.25
    HTA 65.5
    When I first started looking at mid/long travel 29ers, the Firebird29 was the first bike I looked at coming from a Switchblade. In fact, I was ready to pull the trigger on it at my LBS but was told that I couldn't get a frame-only and do a custom build so that killed it for me. I was also hoping to run a PUSH ELEVENSIX but was strongly advised against it by Pivot since the bike was designed around the progressiveness of an air shock.

2019 Evil Wreckoning LB
    2018 Orbea Occam TR 27.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would like a 429 frame to build up for a every day bike and possibly a firebird for a big bike. Looks like neither will happen. Not sure why there is no frame only option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    An MRP Hazzard with progressive spring would have been your jam for that

https://bikerumor.com/2018/05/01/191859/