Two bike lineup choice?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    673

    Two bike lineup choice?

    If you were to have or do have two Pivots the question is as follows.
    You have a Firebird 29er for the park days, the high speed rough gravity focused days. Your second choice for trail days for any condition would be? New Switchblade or Trail 429?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mfa81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,135
    can I sell the firebird and get a mach 4 sl and the new switchblade?

  3. #3
    Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Reputation: John P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    757
    I had a Trail and a FB29 as my 2-bike quiver last year. This year it will be an M4SL and Switchy V2.

    The Trail and FB29 are both incredible bikes, but they were a bit overkill for me. I need something as light and as racy as possible to keep up with the group rides I do through the summer, and I can likely drop a couple pounds changing from the Trail to the M4SL. For rowdier days or days when I don't know what I'll be riding (I travel with my bike A LOT), I can get by just fine on the SB. The FB29 was an absolute weapon, but the Switchy is just a lot more versatile.

    FYI,
    JP
    Last edited by John P.; 03-31-2020 at 06:05 AM.
    PIVOT Cycles

    Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

    Instagram: @heyjohnp

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33,260
    A Les Fat, obviously.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,231
    Given the question you asked, probably the Trail 429

  6. #6
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,664
    The Trail 429 is really versatile as it climbs and descends well for general trail riding. I that it would cover most riding other than park riding for which you would have the Firebird.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    If you were to have or do have two Pivots the question is as follows.
    You have a Firebird 29er for the park days, the high speed rough gravity focused days. Your second choice for trail days for any condition would be? New Switchblade or Trail 429?
    I have a Mach 5.5 for bigger/park days and a Mach429 Trail (27+) for everything considered trail. The 429 set up plus gives it a bit more range in capability, and is the best climbing bike I've ever ridden. Just amazing.

    I don't think you would be disappointed in either addition to your quiver, but I'd consider the Switchblade a 5.5 in 29er form which would overlap some with your Firebird. I did demo the SB twice, and came away preferring the 5.5 for it's playfulness.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    541
    So far I have a 2019 Firebird 29, a 2020 Ripley, and a Les Fat . Seems to work.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    832

    Two bike lineup choice?

    If I was going for two bikes, I wouldn’t be beholden to one specific brand. I’d consider something like a Ripley or Tallboy paired with something big and slack like the to be released Wreckoning V2. That said, having two bikes isn’t always the better option. Most of my riding falls between full on DH/Endo and XC. For my riding an aggressive AM rig like the Ripmo, Switchblade or Hightower fits the bill better than 2 bikes ever could. Now I would love to incorporate something like a 29+ hardtail but in general a single bike works better for me. Just my .02 as I know others will differ.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    204
    Currently have a FB29 (love it!!) and actually looking at getting a Les SS as my second bike. Picked up a used SS a few months ago, wasn't sure how I would like it, and fell in love. It compliments my BigBird so well!! Probably doesn't answer your question, but that's what I would do

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    If I was going for two bikes, I wouldn’t be beholden to one specific brand. I’d consider something like a Ripley or Tallboy paired with something big and slack like the to be released Wreckoning V2. That said, having two bikes isn’t always the better option. Most of my riding falls between full on DH/Endo and XC. For my riding an aggressive AM rig like the Ripmo, Switchblade or Hightower fits the bill better than 2 bikes ever could. Now I would love to incorporate something like a 29+ hardtail but in general a single bike works better for me. Just my .02 as I know others will differ.

    I have a Stache 29+ single speed and a Santa Cruz Tallboy 4 on order. Best of both worlds! But the coronavirus is making huge problems in the supply chain. I am considering switching my order to the new Switchblade because the TB4 could be a long wait.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by spicolli1976 View Post
    Currently have a FB29 (love it!!) and actually looking at getting a Les SS as my second bike. Picked up a used SS a few months ago, wasn't sure how I would like it, and fell in love. It compliments my BigBird so well!! Probably doesn't answer your question, but that's what I would do
    Good choices!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    30
    No need for two bikes.
    Get a Mach 5.5 with 2.6 high volume tires and you have all you need or want and save a lot of $$

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    673
    You would go Switchblade over the Firebird? If so tell us why.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,679
    If I could have a second bike with my 429 it would be a Shuttle.

  15. #15
    Freezer
    Reputation: mlloyd007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    429
    How about a light set of wheels and tires for the FB29 and run it in the high position for trail days. I switch between the low and high position on my FB29 and it makes a noticeable difference in handling.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    How about a light set of wheels and tires for the FB29 and run it in the high position for trail days. I switch between the low and high position on my FB29 and it makes a noticeable difference in handling.
    I took the DHR off and threw a Rekon WT on the back and lost little in handling for the improved climbing.

  17. #17
    Paterfamilias
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    660
    I would have a Switchblade, and a Switchblade. One for my home, and the other for my vacation home... Since I don't have a vacation home, I'll just settle with 1 Switchblade...
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    How about a light set of wheels and tires for the FB29 and run it in the high position for trail days. I switch between the low and high position on my FB29 and it makes a noticeable difference in handling.
    Any noticeable difference in pedaling efficiency between high and low settings on the FB29?

  19. #19
    Freezer
    Reputation: mlloyd007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by greginaz View Post
    Any noticeable difference in pedaling efficiency between high and low settings on the FB29?
    I'd say the high position does feel somewhat more efficient pedaling than in the low position. I'd guess that's a combination of body position and what feels like a slightly more progressive shock curve in the high position.

  20. #20
    Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Reputation: John P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    You would go Switchblade over the Firebird? If so tell us why.
    For me and where I ride (live in the northeast US but travel monthly all over the world, usually with my bike), the Switchblade is just a lot more versatile. You can do long trail rides on it or shuttled gravity laps.

    Now, if I lived in Whistler or next door to some other huge bike park, my ideal 2-bike lineup would be a FB29 plus something else (probably either a Trail like I had last summer or a M4SL). What makes the FB29 such an unbelievable enduro race bike is also what limits it for me as a trail bike - the geo is just so long and slack that it's a handful on flatter, tighter trails and normal trail riding speeds.

    JP
    PIVOT Cycles

    Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

    Instagram: @heyjohnp

  21. #21
    Freezer
    Reputation: mlloyd007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    What makes the FB29 such an unbelievable enduro race bike is also what limits it for me as a trail bike - the geo is just so long and slack that it's a handful on flatter, tighter trails and normal trail riding speeds.

    JP
    IMHO, this issue/comment is highly dependent upon sizing. I'm 5-10" with long arms, and I find my Medium FB29 eminently flickable and nimble. I've gone through two Yetis and three Pivots in the last few years, and I've finally found the silver bullet in the long, low, slack geometry but in a smaller frame size. A few years ago with the older geometries I would have trended to a Large size, but with the modern geometry, a smaller frame size delivers both stability and flickability.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edbraunbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    If you were to have or do have two Pivots the question is as follows.
    You have a Firebird 29er for the park days, the high speed rough gravity focused days. Your second choice for trail days for any condition would be? New Switchblade or Trail 429?
    The Trail 429 or maybe the 4 SL with burlier tires would be a great compliment to the FB29.
    EDventure

    Yeti SB130
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot Switchblade

    Instagram: @edventurecycle

Similar Threads

  1. Specialized 2013 Mountain Bike lineup
    By MessagefromTate in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
  2. Two Days....Two Rides....Two Vids
    By Jaydude in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 05:37 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
  4. New bike in the SC lineup.
    By unoveloce in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
  5. Ellsworth Lineup vs. Turner Lineup
    By mbexx in forum Ellsworth
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-17-2005, 08:41 PM

Members who have read this thread: 129

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.