Two bike lineup choice?

Printable View

• 02-24-2020
    DHRracer
    Two bike lineup choice?
    If you were to have or do have two Pivots the question is as follows.
    You have a Firebird 29er for the park days, the high speed rough gravity focused days. Your second choice for trail days for any condition would be? New Switchblade or Trail 429?
  • 02-24-2020
    mfa81
    can I sell the firebird and get a mach 4 sl and the new switchblade?
  • 02-24-2020
    John P.
    I had a Trail and a FB29 as my 2-bike quiver last year. This year it will be an M4SL and Switchy V2.

The Trail and FB29 are both incredible bikes, but they were a bit overkill for me. I need something as light and as racy as possible to keep up with the group rides I do through the summer, and I can likely drop a couple pounds changing from the Trail to the M4SL. For rowdier days or days when I don't know what I'll be riding (I travel with my bike A LOT), I can get by just fine on the SB. The FB29 was an absolute weapon, but the Switchy is just a lot more versatile.

FYI,
    JP
  • 02-24-2020
    Jayem
    A Les Fat, obviously.
  • 02-24-2020
    twodownzero
    Given the question you asked, probably the Trail 429
  • 02-24-2020
    Spectre
    The Trail 429 is really versatile as it climbs and descends well for general trail riding. I that it would cover most riding other than park riding for which you would have the Firebird.
  • 02-25-2020
    k1creeker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    You have a Firebird 29er for the park days, the high speed rough gravity focused days. Your second choice for trail days for any condition would be? New Switchblade or Trail 429?

I have a Mach 5.5 for bigger/park days and a Mach429 Trail (27+) for everything considered trail. The 429 set up plus gives it a bit more range in capability, and is the best climbing bike I've ever ridden. Just amazing.

I don't think you would be disappointed in either addition to your quiver, but I'd consider the Switchblade a 5.5 in 29er form which would overlap some with your Firebird. I did demo the SB twice, and came away preferring the 5.5 for it's playfulness.
  • 02-25-2020
    endo_alley
    So far I have a 2019 Firebird 29, a 2020 Ripley, and a Les Fat . Seems to work.
  • 02-25-2020
    chowdapilot
    Two bike lineup choice?
    If I was going for two bikes, I wouldn’t be beholden to one specific brand. I’d consider something like a Ripley or Tallboy paired with something big and slack like the to be released Wreckoning V2. That said, having two bikes isn’t always the better option. Most of my riding falls between full on DH/Endo and XC. For my riding an aggressive AM rig like the Ripmo, Switchblade or Hightower fits the bill better than 2 bikes ever could. Now I would love to incorporate something like a 29+ hardtail but in general a single bike works better for me. Just my .02 as I know others will differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-25-2020
    spicolli1976
    Currently have a FB29 (love it!!) and actually looking at getting a Les SS as my second bike. Picked up a used SS a few months ago, wasn't sure how I would like it, and fell in love. It compliments my BigBird so well!! Probably doesn't answer your question, but that's what I would do:cornut:
  • 02-25-2020
    beastmaster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    If I was going for two bikes, I wouldn’t be beholden to one specific brand. I’d consider something like a Ripley or Tallboy paired with something big and slack like the to be released Wreckoning V2. That said, having two bikes isn’t always the better option. Most of my riding falls between full on DH/Endo and XC. For my riding an aggressive AM rig like the Ripmo, Switchblade or Hightower fits the bill better than 2 bikes ever could. Now I would love to incorporate something like a 29+ hardtail but in general a single bike works better for me. Just my .02 as I know others will differ.

I have a Stache 29+ single speed and a Santa Cruz Tallboy 4 on order. Best of both worlds! But the coronavirus is making huge problems in the supply chain. I am considering switching my order to the new Switchblade because the TB4 could be a long wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicolli1976 View Post
    Currently have a FB29 (love it!!) and actually looking at getting a Les SS as my second bike. Picked up a used SS a few months ago, wasn't sure how I would like it, and fell in love. It compliments my BigBird so well!! Probably doesn't answer your question, but that's what I would do:cornut:

Good choices!
  • 02-25-2020
    tommelch
    No need for two bikes.
    Get a Mach 5.5 with 2.6 high volume tires and you have all you need or want and save a lot of $$
  • 02-25-2020
    DHRracer
    You would go Switchblade over the Firebird? If so tell us why.
  • 02-26-2020
    sml-2727
    If I could have a second bike with my 429 it would be a Shuttle.
  • 02-28-2020
    mlloyd007
    How about a light set of wheels and tires for the FB29 and run it in the high position for trail days. I switch between the low and high position on my FB29 and it makes a noticeable difference in handling.
  • 02-28-2020
    joby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    How about a light set of wheels and tires for the FB29 and run it in the high position for trail days. I switch between the low and high position on my FB29 and it makes a noticeable difference in handling.

I took the DHR off and threw a Rekon WT on the back and lost little in handling for the improved climbing.
  • 02-28-2020
    dan23
    I would have a Switchblade, and a Switchblade. One for my home, and the other for my vacation home... Since I don't have a vacation home, I'll just settle with 1 Switchblade...
  • 03-30-2020
    greginaz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post

Any noticeable difference in pedaling efficiency between high and low settings on the FB29?
  • 03-30-2020
    mlloyd007
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greginaz View Post
    Any noticeable difference in pedaling efficiency between high and low settings on the FB29?

I'd say the high position does feel somewhat more efficient pedaling than in the low position. I'd guess that's a combination of body position and what feels like a slightly more progressive shock curve in the high position.
  • 03-31-2020
    John P.
    Quote:

You would go Switchblade over the Firebird? If so tell us why.

For me and where I ride (live in the northeast US but travel monthly all over the world, usually with my bike), the Switchblade is just a lot more versatile. You can do long trail rides on it or shuttled gravity laps.

Now, if I lived in Whistler or next door to some other huge bike park, my ideal 2-bike lineup would be a FB29 plus something else (probably either a Trail like I had last summer or a M4SL). What makes the FB29 such an unbelievable enduro race bike is also what limits it for me as a trail bike - the geo is just so long and slack that it's a handful on flatter, tighter trails and normal trail riding speeds.

JP
  • 03-31-2020
    mlloyd007
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    What makes the FB29 such an unbelievable enduro race bike is also what limits it for me as a trail bike - the geo is just so long and slack that it's a handful on flatter, tighter trails and normal trail riding speeds.

JP

IMHO, this issue/comment is highly dependent upon sizing. I'm 5-10" with long arms, and I find my Medium FB29 eminently flickable and nimble. I've gone through two Yetis and three Pivots in the last few years, and I've finally found the silver bullet in the long, low, slack geometry but in a smaller frame size. A few years ago with the older geometries I would have trended to a Large size, but with the modern geometry, a smaller frame size delivers both stability and flickability.
  • 03-31-2020
    edbraunbeck
    Quote:

The Trail 429 or maybe the 4 SL with burlier tires would be a great compliment to the FB29.