Trail 429 Fit- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trail 429 Fit

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trail 429 Fit

I had a chance this last weekend to demo a 2019 Trail 429 XT/XTR kit, I typically ride a large size in MTB and a 58 in a road bike. I have pretty long arms so a long top tube is in order for me. I felt this bike was a little short and when descending felt pushed into the bars and could not get back far enough. I am 6'1" have a 34" inseam, should I be on an XL in this bike? Have any of you had to size up? The weekend before I rode a Firebird 29 in size large and it was perfect. Understood it is a longer bike but I could not imagine riding a XL in that bike.
    On the 429 I had a lot of post showing so maybe I would ride an XL?
    Your input would be helpful as I am down to the 429 or the FB29 but would not want to get the 429 unless I could ride an XL demo first.
    Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist View Post
    I had a chance this last weekend to demo a 2019 Trail 429 XT/XTR kit, I typically ride a large size in MTB and a 58 in a road bike. I have pretty long arms so a long top tube is in order for me. I felt this bike was a little short and when descending felt pushed into the bars and could not get back far enough. I am 6'1" have a 34" inseam, should I be on an XL in this bike? Have any of you had to size up? The weekend before I rode a Firebird 29 in size large and it was perfect. Understood it is a longer bike but I could not imagine riding a XL in that bike.
    On the 429 I had a lot of post showing so maybe I would ride an XL?
    Your input would be helpful as I am down to the 429 or the FB29 but would not want to get the 429 unless I could ride an XL demo first.
    Any constructive input would be appreciated.
    I'm also 6'1", with a 32 inseam, and would ride the Large without issue. Given that I have a longer torso than you do, you would think I would feel cramped just like you did. But I find that I could even use a shorter stem on this bike and still fit it just fine. I currently ride a Large Mach 4 SL with a 55 mm stem, and find that it fits me fantastic. For me, the XL feels like it is too tall, and that I'm riding on the bike, not in it, if that makes sense.

If I had Firebird 29, I'd also ride a large, but opt for the shortest stem available.

Fitment on a bike is always personal, so pick the ride that fits your style the best.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My arms are super long, I tend to wear lg/tall long sleeve shirts so I am kind of odd in that way. On the Firebird 29 I felt "in" the bike and the fit was perfect but it also had an 800 bar on it so its a little wider than the 429, but thanks for your constructive input this morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Iím 6í0 with about a 32 inseam and long arms. Iím happy on my large with 800mm bars. Itís likely gonna be personal preference on the fringes. Itís a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The bars might make the difference too. The stock bars on the 429 are 760 where the Firebird 29 is 800. I had no issues with the bike at all except for the fit. the FB29 is a bit more plush and for me I think I would run a 2.6 on the front of the 429. The FB29 is a bit more than what I need but it really felt great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    6 foot--34.4 inseam--with long arms---large for me.
    Note that with STA getting steeper most bikes with the seat at ride height feel a bit tighter to me----due to the riding length at climbing seat height does not grow as much as with a slacker set tube--thus for the same ETT you end up with a shorter actual length.
    But if one then sizes up they are faced with really long reaches----which tend to be an issue with the long legged as our torso's have trouble covering that length.
    For example the Ripley in large was way to tight but I could not take the 500 reach of the XL-----with the TB4 the large was way to tight (619 ett) but could not take the 490 reach.
    The Pivot is not as extreme on reach so an XL may work also for you and me---but was comfortable on the large.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I'm 6'1" and I ride (or rode) a Large Firebird 29, XL Trail 429, and XL Mach 4sl. In those sizes, they all have very close stack and reach numbers.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Noah, Thanks for that info! The Stack and Reach is an important consideration. I have a local demo coming up 11/3 so I may wait until then so I can try them out. I already know that the FB29 LG fit me like a glove and honestly I loved everything about that bike, just might be too much bike for me. This is why i want to try an XL Trail 429.
    I will review the stack and reach numbers now, vs some of the more common. I never have ridden an XL in my life but with modern geometry this might be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just ran the numbers and the XL Trail 429 is super close in stack and reach to the FB29 L so now all it should take is a test ride to make the determination of what is best for me. I prefer to have my handlebar about level with my seat height this way I have very little drop.