Pivot's warranty policy in action- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GhisalloWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    528

    Pivot's warranty policy in action

    Last week while cleaning my bike I discovered two cracks in the frame.
    One on the front triangle.

    And one on the rear triangle.


    I called Pivot and let them know of the problem. After several conversations it was decided that I needed to send in my frame. They were concerned about whether or not the aftermarket PUSHed shock was valved correctly and whether or not that contributed to the problem. I had called Darren at PUSH and he had volunteered to call them and talk with them if there ended up being a problem with the warranty being honored.

    I communicated with Brien at Pivot. He did a great job with prompt and professional communications. I'm not sure if Pivot ever talked with Darren, but I received my bike back with a new front and rear triangle. Thanks.


    I did notice one small change in the frame. It seems they have reinforced the part of the front triangle that cracked on mine.


    Anyways. I was impressed with Pivot and how they handled the situation. But I will be leery about putting an aftermarket shock on my bike from here on out. If I decide to get another aftermarket shock, I'll make sure to get an email confirmation that a particular shock will not void the warranty.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

  2. #2
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Good to hear, what was the turnaround time?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GhisalloWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    528
    Quick. It was sent out last Thurs and it returned to the shop on Weds.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

  4. #4
    Trying to be helpful
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,549
    AWESOME!!! Congrats man, glad to hear no drama!!! Now build it up and pics pleez.
    ...

  5. #5
    The OMEN
    Reputation: Prodigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39
    Wow Thats great service.

    (now to go check my frame)

  6. #6
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,445
    Good to hear they replaced your frame. The PUSH thing is just rediculous though.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  7. #7
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,431
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Good to hear they replaced your frame. The PUSH thing is just rediculous though.
    beyond ridiculous !!!!
    Voltron

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GhisalloWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    beyond ridiculous !!!!

    I felt the same way at first. However, I can understand them wanting to test the setup of the shock themselves. To take others word on how it was valved, might not be too wise. In the end they honored the warranty and I am a happy rider.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

  9. #9
    Let'er Buck
    Reputation: kdimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    239
    Good to hear they took care of you, I have been nothing short of impressed in any dealings I have had with pivot.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

  10. #10
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,445
    I've heard that Pivot will not warranty any shocks outside of the spec'd Fox stuff. Any truth to this?
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  11. #11
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,431
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I've heard that Pivot will not warranty any shocks outside of the spec'd Fox stuff. Any truth to this?
    truth
    but what i think you mean to say is warranty frames that have used other than Fox spec'd shocks
    Voltron

  12. #12
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    truth
    but what i think you mean to say is warranty frames that have used other than Fox spec'd shocks
    Ah yes, thanks for correcting me.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robertj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    403
    It was reported recently in another thread that along with Fox spec'd shocks, the CCDB is also ok to run, but not an Elka coil.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robertj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    403
    Excellent customer service and turnaround, BTW.

  15. #15
    Trying to be helpful
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by robertj
    It was reported recently in another thread that along with Fox spec'd shocks, the CCDB is also ok to run, but not an Elka coil.

    Yeah I gotta say Pivot is a little more than confusing with this, you can't run anything other than Fox!!!! Oh yeah........except CCDB. Well I can tell you from experience you cant run a ROMIC or XFusion, also Elka according to the email I got from pivot.
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 05-05-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    ...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seandm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    687
    Interesting. My old Mach 5 cracked in almost the same spot and I had a pushed shock as well. I often wondered if that was indeed the issue.

    Pivot replaced my frame as well with hardly any fuss.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by kdimon
    Good to hear they took care of you, I have been nothing short of impressed in any dealings I have had with pivot.
    Plus one here. I like how Ken and Dan are on here answering questions.
    "It looks flexy"

  18. #18
    dog
    dog is offline
    sit! stay!
    Reputation: dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Plus one here. I like how Ken and Dan are on here answering questions.
    heck yeah!!!
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

  19. #19
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,955
    My 429 rear triangle cracked and Pivot replaced it promptly, although I had to purchase a new one. The main pivot bolt backed out and the frame is so stiff, I didn't notice it. It finally started creaking, and that's how I discovered it. Later the creaking returned and the crack in the rear triangle was the culprit. I couldn't refute their claim that the loose bolt led to the frame failure, especially since I have a habit of breaking frames. Man, I love this bike. It is the best bike I have ever owned. It has a magical combination of toughness, pedaling efficiency and stiffness. If even works well with different travel forks. Well worth the price.

  20. #20
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,764
    A company can't blindly warranty their suspension bike using after sale shocks or forks they haven't tested.

    Pivot warranty is doing their job by wanting to inspect the bike. Maybe the shock was rubbing, maybe bottoming harshly. Damage from those two examples while using and aftermarket shock or fork are abuse and technically would not be covered the way a warranty is written, to guarantee against manufacturing defects for a limited time.

    However, they may settle upon replacing an abused broken frame if the public relations cost would be more than the cost of the frame replacement.

    (I'm not saying the OP's frame was abused. It probably wasn't abused by a PUSH tuned shock)

    Just my opinion.

    In fact a good friend and a very strong rider has cracked two Mach 4 frames (with OEM shock) and Pivot replaced both swingarms quickly. Excellent customer service.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GhisalloWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    A company can't blindly warranty their suspension bike using after sale shocks or forks they haven't tested.

    Pivot warranty is doing their job by wanting to inspect the bike. Maybe the shock was rubbing, maybe bottoming harshly. Damage from those two examples while using and aftermarket shock or fork are abuse and technically would not be covered the way a warranty is written, to guarantee against manufacturing defects for a limited time.

    However, they may settle upon replacing an abused broken frame if the public relations cost would be more than the cost of the frame replacement.

    (I'm not saying the OP's frame was abused. It probably wasn't abused by a PUSH tuned shock)

    Just my opinion.

    In fact a good friend and a very strong rider has cracked two Mach 4 frames (with OEM shock) and Pivot replaced both swingarms quickly. Excellent customer service.
    I agree. However, I think it would be in everyone's interest if there was some clarity on the webpage about the issue.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.