Pivot Trail 429 - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Pivot Trail 429

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE2465 View Post
    The SJ also felt like it had a lot of flex in the rear end. I switched back and forth between ST and LT modes and always had that flex feeling.
    This is a really astute observation. The FSR relies on that pivot near the rear axle to assist in active braking, but I've always felt like that pivot is what makes the rear ends of FSR bikes feel less precise. DW Link bikes (and to be fair, other designs, like VPP and Switch Infinity) utilize a one-piece rear triangle, and that leads to a stiffer swingarm.

Glad you're liking the bike!

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

140mm Fork

Pivot Trail 429-57013361990__5fbdf1e3-2bc1-4e29-bbf7-2cea774ea44b.jpgPivot Trail 429-img_6708.jpg

The bike started with a 120mm fork and I really liked the way it handled. I installed a 140mm fork to see how much of a difference there was.

For starters, the front end was really tall. The front wheel wondered on steep ascents. The stock headset top cap is really tall. I removed it so I could lower the stem and have zero stack height. What a difference it made. The front wheel was planted on the steep stuff and still handled decently on the descents. I'm playing with different spacer thicknesses to hopefully find that sweet spot. I'm currently using a 10mm spacer.

Since my first post, I've swapped out the seat post clamp and dropper post lever to Wolf Tooth products. I have a Chris King headset and hubs on order. I plan on building the hubs with Velocity Blunt SS, 27mm wide, chrome rims with alloy nipples and Sapim spokes.

More riding experiences to come.......
    2019 Pivot Trail 429

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57013361990__5FBDF1E3-2BC1-4E29-BBF7-2CEA774EA44B.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	1235436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6708.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	1235437

The bike started with a 120mm fork and I really liked the way it handled. I installed a 140mm fork to see how much of a difference there was.

For starters, the front end was really tall. The front wheel wondered on steep ascents. The stock headset top cap is really tall. I removed it so I could lower the stem and have zero stack height. What a difference it made. The front wheel was planted on the steep stuff and still handled decently on the descents. I'm playing with different spacer thicknesses to hopefully find that sweet spot. I'm currently using a 10mm spacer.

Since my first post, I've swapped out the seat post clamp and dropper post lever to Wolf Tooth products. I have a Chris King headset and hubs on order. I plan on building the hubs with Velocity Blunt SS, 27mm wide, chrome rims with alloy nipples and Sapim spokes.

More riding experiences to come.......
    Pivot Trail 429-img_6761.jpgPivot Trail 429-img_6763.jpg

I installed the 120mm fork back on the bike and installed a mango CK headset (Inset 2) and a limited edition mango Wolf Tooth dropper lever. I was going to replace the wheel set but could not pass up the Cane Creek EEwing cranks. They look better in person and I kind of don't want to ride my bike. I just want to stare at it all day. The bike weighs 28 lbs on the dot without the seat bag.

The continuous rain and my work schedule have been getting of the way of any kind of riding. More riding details soon to come.
    2019 Pivot Trail 429

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    hi!got trail429 and love it!there play in the front shock bushing,i can used my hand move it side to side to make noise, ride through rock garden make noise.my lbs called pivot 3 days ago (was there when lbs talk with pivot),the lady from pivot said that normal and i ok to ride.email pivot to make sure that play in the front shock bushing normal and i ok to drive but been 2 days no email from pivot!anybody have same problem?that normal and ok to ride?im very new to mtb.excuse my English!thank you so much!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It’s a known issue with the igus bushing. Try contacting fox.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Fresh rebuild.

Lightened up the build by going from a Ribbon Coil 140 to Ribbon SL 130 (1/2 pound weight reduction) and Enve M630s from 730s. Also got some fancy new graphics from Stikrd to try and match my new FB29. Still love this bike, even more now.

Pivot Trail 429-img_0177-2.jpg
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 02-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Lightened up the build by going from a Ribbon Coil 140 to Ribbon SL 130 (1/3 pound weight reduction) and Enve M630s from 730s. Also got some fancy new graphics from Stikrd to try and match my new FB29. Still love this bike, even more now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0177 2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	599.4 KB 
ID:	1237804
    Incredible! What shock did you change to?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by pwalkerttu1 View Post
    Incredible! What shock did you change to?
    Something unique.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Damn, that's pretty. What cranks and ring are you running now? Any spacers needed?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by sjk303 View Post
    Damn, that's pretty. What cranks and ring are you running now? Any spacers needed?
    Thanks!

XTR Boost (rare) with 30t oval. No spacers IIRC. 30t oval / 32t round is as big as I'd feel comfortable with clearance-wise. To compensate I've got a e13 9-46 12-speed conversion to be installed. That should hopefully give me enough top-end for some endurance racing.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Has anyone ridden this bike in size XS? Asking for a very short rider looking for her “quick” bike (to go along with her enduro trail smasher). Wondering how those 29” wheels will work for smaller riders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Why would someone choose the Trail 429 over the Switchblade? Yes, MTB noob here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wild Wes View Post
    Why would someone choose the Trail 429 over the Switchblade? Yes, MTB noob here.
    The trail 429 is a quick precise bike, the switchblade feels like a bigger more capable bike for rough terrain. I wouldn’t want to take the switchblade on a long xc type ride, and I wouldnt choose to ride my trail 429 on sustained rough terrain, bike park, etc. There are some good head to head videos on YouTube. MTB yum yum has a great video.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cpobanz View Post
    =MTB yum yum has a great video.
    MTB Yum Yum has been super quiet on Youtube lately???

Miss his videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    To compensate I've got a e13 9-46 12-speed conversion to be installed. That should hopefully give me enough top-end for some endurance racing.

I was going to go that route, but ended up going with a Garbaruk 10-50 11sp on a XD driver. They have a pulley cage kit for Shimano and the weight, shifting and durability have exceeded expectations.

Pivot Trail 429-img_5574.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ya, he switched to an SB100 from his Trail429, then crickets . . .

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    How big of a drop is this bike capable of handling well?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I hit a 4' drop on it when demoing and was surprised at how well the bike handled it. No bottom out. Not as smooth as longer travel Switchblade or Ripmo, but smoother than Intense 130mm travel bike.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Landing a drop well has a ton more to do with the rider's technique than the capability of the bike. Watch a pro trials guy jump 15+ feet to flat on a fully rigid bike and land smoothly, or a beginner DH rider explode off a 1 foot drop on his gravity sled with 8" of suspension front and rear.

The Trail was designed to be an aggressive trail/all mountain bike that can handle anything you can throw at it wi, but if a rider's skill level is not up to par, they're going to have trouble on any bike under the right/wrong circumstances.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I've done quite a bit of bike park stuff on it and some dumb local, Moab, and Sedona drops to flat. Handles everything great, not like my Firebird 29, mind you, but it resists bottoming well and the frame feels rock solid in the rough.

Pivot Trail 429-sedona_bike_park_t429.jpg
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Watch a pro trials guy jump 15+ feet to flat on a fully rigid bike and land smoothly
    Now scouring internet for 15' drops to flat on rigid bike, amazing!

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by NTZeek View Post
    Haha... Libor Karas did some nutty stuff back in the day, but for something more modern, just google Ryan Leech or Danny MacAskill.
    PIVOT Cycles

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Have you heard of BMX? Street BMX in particular....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nl0_6zjXyY
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I'm looking at the specs on the Pivot site and am not clear on this- does it come standard with a dropper post, or is that something you have to add yourself?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm looking at the specs on the Pivot site and am not clear on this- does it come standard with a dropper post, or is that something you have to add yourself?
    Comes with a Fox Transfer. Hit the “build” button and it lists all the components for the kit you select.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    What's the longest ride you've done on your Trail?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    What's the longest ride you've done on your Trail?
    55 I think. Lots in the 40s, more in the 30s. Great for long days. I will race it at Moab Rocks at the end of the month.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Excellent! This bike really seems to fit my needs. Pivot is having a demo in my town at the end of the month, can't wait to try one out.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Excellent! This bike really seems to fit my needs. Pivot is having a demo in my town at the end of the month, can't wait to try one out.
    Awesome. Take your time setting it up. Pivot makes it stupid easy to set sag with their little indicator. Don't go short on sag hoping for a snappier ride, the Trail 429 works best with the prescribed sag.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Has anyone sized down on this bike? I got a quick parking lot demo in yesterday and a size medium felt bigger than my size small/medium Orbea Rallon.

I went home and to my surprise the Pivot had a longer reach and effective top tube added to a lower stack. Not by a lot but definitely something I noticed after the first pedal stroke.

I was hoping I could add this as a more XC’ish bike to my fleet but going down to a small the numbers show a drastic change.

So if anyone usually rides a medium in most brands sized down to a small I’d love to hear your experience with that. tia

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I doubt it---on the large the geo is pretty middle of the road finally for reach and top tube---historically the 429 trail---the previous version many folks sized up. Would help to know your inseam/height/ape index so folks have some basis to say anything

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If any one would like to sell the stock DT swiss hubs that come on the 429 I'd be interested. May also be interested in the stock dps shock.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    If any one would like to sell the stock DT swiss hubs that come on the 429 I'd be interested. May also be interested in the stock dps shock.
    The DT 350 Straightpull Superboost rear hub has been available for awhile. I picked one up last year through QBP - the largest bike parts distributor in the US. Worldwide Cyclery has them for sale too.

I dunno why, but it's less expensive than other 350 rear hubs.

NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks Noah! Appreciate the link!

The stock one looks little different, but don't think I'll be able to buy one exactly like stock new. I asked Pivot about it and they said contact DT Swiss. Figured I see if any one had a used one.

I was going to build wheels up on I9 hydras, but starting to think maybe DT 240S front and the 350 you linked in the rear.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I was going to build wheels up on I9 hydras, but starting to think maybe DT 240S front and the 350 you linked in the rear.
    I'd go 350 front and rear personally. DT Swiss (NA) is local to me and the sales guys always pushed me to the 350 with ratchet upgrade over the 240. I've always understood the difference to be a hub shell machined in Taiwan vs. Switzerland, that's it.

Also, that 350 hub in the link is what I have. From memory, it was surprisingly light. Lighter than the 240 (normal) 12x157. Mine also came with 54t ratchets. I think my wheels were just at or under 1600 g (350 F&R, Enve M630).
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'd go 350 front and rear personally. DT Swiss (NA) is local to me and the sales guys always pushed me to the 350 with ratchet upgrade over the 240.
    Dave Agapito down there has helped me quite a few times. Very competent and helpful guys.

I went and checked and the front 240 with centerlock and straight pull is 10 grams different in mass. Not worth the $150 price tag versus $110 for the $350. Thanks much Noah you saved me some good $.

The bearings in the 240s are a little harder and better, but I don't think that matters much. Contamination is a much bigger issue than bearing material in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Pivot was in my town last Sunday got a Demo Day. I got to try out a Trail 429... holy shit I loved it! I had the oppirtunity to ride it on the same trails I've ridden on my (addmitedly low-end) hard tail and was able to climb slopes I couldn't make it up without spinning out. Had an absolutely great time on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pivot was in my town last Sunday got a Demo Day. I got to try out a Trail 429... holy shit I loved it! I had the oppirtunity to ride it on the same trails I've ridden on my (addmitedly low-end) hard tail and was able to climb slopes I couldn't make it up without spinning out. Had an absolutely great time on the bike.
    FS will do that for you compared to a HT
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm hearing a lot of chatter about the lack of small bump compliance on the bike, that it's harsh through the roots and rock gardens. I ride New England single track and it's a lot of roots and rocks. There seem to be several on here that love the bike and I'd like to know if they have an issue in this terrain, or if they did and made some rear suspension adjustments that improved it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niko4 View Post
    I'm hearing a lot of chatter about the lack of small bump compliance on the bike, that it's harsh through the roots and rock gardens. I ride New England single track and it's a lot of roots and rocks. There seem to be several on here that love the bike and I'd like to know if they have an issue in this terrain, or if they did and made some rear suspension adjustments that improved it?
    niko4: I live in western PA (lots of rocks and roots) and just picked up a Trail 429 myself. I'm still getting used to it, but I don't find it harsh at all. I'm coming off of a Tallboy 2C, and I think this handles the small bumps a little better. I also did a demo ride on a Yeti SB100. I thought it was even better on the small bumps than the Pivot.

I choose the Pivot over the yeti mainly based on spec/$ and the downhill performance. I felt the Yeti was a better climber (it was like cheating on the way up), partly because it was lighter, but I just felt much more in control on the faster downhill sections with the Pivot. The Pivot is still a better climber than my Tallboy 2 was (and I thought it was pretty good).

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    You should go visit and talk with the guys at JRA. They will set you straight with regards to any false claims that the Trail 429 has a lack of small bump compliance.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks! That's where I was planning on going.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    I live in southern Maine and own or have owned a Mach5.5, FB29, Switchblade, and Trail429 (I previously worked for Yeti and owned about a dozen different bikes from them too). The Trail429 is by far my favorite bike for trail riding in New England, and everyone I let try my bike is blown away by it as well. In fact, one of the greatest aspects of the bike is how smooth it is over small bumps, so I can only guess that people who are not happy with small bump compliance haven't taken the time to setup their suspension effectively.

I've tried a couple modifications (swapped shock, wheels, tires, etc.) and here's where I wound up:

Shock: I much prefer the DPS over the DPX2. The DPX2 in theory makes the bike feel a little more versatile, but in my experience it just made it feel less lively. We get the same feedback from most people who've tried the bike both ways.
    Wheels/tires: I built up a light set of carbon wheels and ditched the stock tires for some Schwalbes that I've had good luck with around here. This dropped a little more than a pound in rotating weight, and that really made a difference.

I also swapped the bars/grips, but that's just personal preference.

Drop me an email (my address is below) if you'd like to geek out more sometime.

Cheers,
    JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    @John P.
    I have the DPX2 on my bike, so your comments above are very interesting to me. When you say the bike is more "lively" with the DPS, what exactly do you mean?

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc115 View Post
    @John P.
    I have the DPX2 on my bike, so your comments above are very interesting to me. When you say the bike is more "lively" with the DPS, what exactly do you mean?
    It just feels poppier and more playful. After a full season riding both, the DPX2 just feels a bit too muted for me.

For what it's worth, I spent a ton of time dialing in both shocks - I started with a ShockWiz on both, and then refined it from there for personal preference.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Best bike I've owned in 30 years, live in western mass

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So, I my experience with my Trail was that it would be harsher over repeated hits and hang a bit. In frustration, I removed all the rebound damping and suddenly the bike was so much better. The trail I was experiencing most on had a lot of small loose mixed in with a bunch of 6" embedded rocks. It looks very XCish in one section, but my experience has been that a little more travel does better than the 120 at dealing with the chatter at speed. However, once the rebound was as fast as the DPS would go, the Trail did pretty well at dealing with it. It was enough of a difference that I went from being really disappointed in the bike on that type of trail to enjoying it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    So, I my experience with my Trail was that it would be harsher over repeated hits and hang a bit. In frustration, I removed all the rebound damping and suddenly the bike was so much better. The trail I was experiencing most on had a lot of small loose mixed in with a bunch of 6" embedded rocks. It looks very XCish in one section, but my experience has been that a little more travel does better than the 120 at dealing with the chatter at speed. However, once the rebound was as fast as the DPS would go, the Trail did pretty well at dealing with it. It was enough of a difference that I went from being really disappointed in the bike on that type of trail to enjoying it.
    That's what I've been reading. It's good to know that you were able to sort it out, exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    It just feels poppier and more playful. After a full season riding both, the DPX2 just feels a bit too muted for me.

For what it's worth, I spent a ton of time dialing in both shocks - I started with a ShockWiz on both, and then refined it from there for personal preference.

JP
    VERY interesting about the DPX2, I was considering the upgrade. I thought it would just add capability in extended downhills, and not detract from the ride in other types.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm kind of regretting paying for the upgrade now...

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    VERY interesting about the DPX2, I was considering the upgrade. I thought it would just add capability in extended downhills, and not detract from the ride in other types.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc115 View Post
    I'm kind of regretting paying for the upgrade now...
    I wouldn't have too much buyer's remorse - the DPX2 is probably better in very long, very rough descents, as it can move more oil and be more consistent in those conditions than a non-piggyback shock like the DPS.

I didn't buy the Trail for that kind of riding though - I bought a 120/130mm travel bike to be good on long trail rides like I have around my house here in Maine, where it's nice having a light, playful bike that you can throw around and pop off roots and rocks to hit little on-the-fly doubles. If I'm going to be hitting long, chunky downhills, I'll either use a different bike or just deal with the slight performance drop-off of the DPS.

In the end, the DPS is just a better option for the vast majority of my riding.
    PIVOT Cycles

IPA tester
    I have a 3 yr old Mach 429T that I purchased as a 2X10 and 29" wheels.
    Purchased a set of 27.5 + wheels and love the ride. Installed the 140MM rods in the Fox fork and swapped out the shock spacer to fit my fat butt. Swapped over to 1X11 32T/11-50T and it's so nice over the 2X setup
    Been thinking if there was a way to increase the rear travel to 140MM from the 120 or less it has. Has anyone done this or even thought about it?
    The bike is dialed for me now but I've been wishing for a bit more travel.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I have a 3 yr old Mach 429T that I purchased as a 2X10 and 29" wheels.
    Purchased a set of 27.5 + wheels and love the ride. Installed the 140MM rods in the Fox fork and swapped out the shock spacer to fit my fat butt. Swapped over to 1X11 32T/11-50T and it's so nice over the 2X setup
    Been thinking if there was a way to increase the rear travel to 140MM from the 120 or less it has. Has anyone done this or even thought about it?
    The bike is dialed for me now but I've been wishing for a bit more travel.
    Different Frame. Might want to post in the 429T thread or start a new one.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I wouldn't have too much buyer's remorse - the DPX2 is probably better in very long, very rough descents, as it can move more oil and be more consistent in those conditions than a non-piggyback shock like the DPS.

I didn't buy the Trail for that kind of riding though - I bought a 120/130mm travel bike to be good on long trail rides like I have around my house here in Maine, where it's nice having a light, playful bike that you can throw around and pop off roots and rocks to hit little on-the-fly doubles. If I'm going to be hitting long, chunky downhills, I'll either use a different bike or just deal with the slight performance drop-off of the DPS.

In the end, the DPS is just a better option for the vast majority of my riding.
    What would you call a "very long, very rough" descent?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Porquipine rim trail in Moab. 3,000 foot descent over 14 miles. Multiple large chunk sections and 3-5' drops.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Not sure how to quantify, but I'll put it like this: if you live in a mountain town with lots of hour-plus climbs and descents back into the valley over big, chunky terrain, get the DPX2 (or a much better option would be just to get the Switchblade or FB29). If you live in other parts of the world and you're looking for a great trail bike, get the DPS and deal with the bike being slightly overwhelmed the couple times per year you take it to big mountains.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quick follow-up on the DPS discussion: there's a guy in California selling the DPS shock off his Trail for $250. Check out the Pivot Cycles Owners Group on Facebook.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    @ John P

Are Pivot planning on selling complete build with SRAM AXS or if we buy "franks" will they come with a block off plate for the cable ports?

Cheers

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Tech View Post
    @ John P

Are Pivot planning on selling complete build with SRAM AXS or if we buy "franks" will they come with a block off plate for the cable ports?

Cheers
    I can't comment on what may be coming, but getting some extra cable port 'blanks' should be no problem for any Pivot dealer. I'll talk to purchasing/spec folks and encourage them to include a few more extra blanks with our frames in the near future; I don't see this being a problem at all.

Thanks for the input!

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Any recommendations for pedals? I'm not ready for clipless. I liked the pedals that were on the Trail I demo'd, but I got distracted and forgot to ID them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Not sure how to quantify, but I'll put it like this: if you live in a mountain town with lots of hour-plus climbs and descents back into the valley over big, chunky terrain, get the DPX2 (or a much better option would be just to get the Switchblade or FB29). If you live in other parts of the world and you're looking for a great trail bike, get the DPS and deal with the bike being slightly overwhelmed the couple times per year you take it to big mountains.

JP
    That's pretty helpful advice! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Cool-blue Rhythm

I can't comment on what may be coming, but getting some extra cable port 'blanks' should be no problem for any Pivot dealer. I'll talk to purchasing/spec folks and encourage them to include a few more extra blanks with our frames in the near future; I don't see this being a problem at all.

Thanks for the input!

JP
    Thanks - Now to get more demo days in Australia

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Any recommendations for pedals? I'm not ready for clipless. I liked the pedals that were on the Trail I demo'd, but I got distracted and forgot to ID them.

Try Race Face Atlas. I think you’ll like them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am absolutely loving this bike. I have no regrets about selling my Stumpjumper to buy this bike.

I recently installed XTR M9100 drivetrain with XTR XC brakes. I also splurged on a set of EEwings (drool worthy). This is the only bike I have right now. I typically have 2-3 bikes; a hardtail, a 100mm bike and a 150mm bike. I have not felt the urge to get any of those bikes since getting the Trail 429.

I have two forks and two stem lengths I switch back and forth. I use a 120mm fork with a 45mm length stem if I feel like wearing spandex. I run the 140mm fork with a 35mm length stem if I feel like wearing the baggies. I love both setups and have a hard time deciding which way to run it. I'll probably get a 429 SL but I want to wait a little longer to see if Pivot releases an updated model.

I wanted to use my EEwings since I spent so much money on them. I was afraid of having a compatibility issue since they are not super boost rated. I did some research and found the Wolf Tooth Camo and Camo chainring. The Camo is basically a direct mount spider that comes in three different offsets. The Camo chainring is specific to the Camo spider and comes in a variety of sizes. After speaking to a WT tech., we concluded I needed the M2 which is a 0 offset spider. I ordered the spider and a 32 tooth ring specific for Shimano 12 speed.

I was excited to receive my parts and quickly installed them. There was now about 3mm of space between the chainring and chain stay. Shifting was perfect, too. I've done about five rides on the setup and have had zero issues (knock on wood).

Weight wise, the bike set up with a Fox 34 Factory 140mm travel is 28.2 lbs. I haven't weighed it with the Fox 34 Factory Step-Cast yet.

One thing I'd like to add is the stock DT M1700 wheels are awesome. I was going to do a custom carbon wheel build but these wheels are badass. They're not the lightest but they are strong and not harsh like carbon hoops can be.

Great job with this bike, Pivot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Trail 429-img_7287.jpg  

Pivot Trail 429-img_7245.jpg  

2019 Pivot Trail 429

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

One thing I'd like to add is the stock DT M1700 wheels are awesome. I was going to do a custom carbon wheel build but these wheels are badass. They're not the lightest but they are strong and not harsh like carbon hoops can be.

Great job with this bike, Pivot!
    Nice - I was wondering how the M1700 rode

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Found a quick review/overview from a bike shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XCQQI8t8Y

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmoore View Post
    Try Race Face Atlas. I think you’ll like them.
    I'd recommend the OneUp pedals over RF Atlas. The guys who designed the Atlas pedals left RF years ago and started OneUp (I worked with them at RF; brilliant guys). Since then, they refined and improved the design in a bunch of nice little ways, and it's my favorite flat pedal of all time.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Anyone fit a bashguard/chainguide on their 429? I tried a funn zippa lite bash/chain guide and noticed I'm going to need to source some spacers/washers to get it to sit correctly. Anyone using something that doesn't need fiddling with?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I tried an mrp with the same issues you are having. Ended up sending it back. It would have taken to much messing around to make it fit correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DanBikesMI View Post
    Anyone fit a bashguard/chainguide on their 429? I tried a funn zippa lite bash/chain guide and noticed I'm going to need to source some spacers/washers to get it to sit correctly. Anyone using something that doesn't need fiddling with?
    I also used an MRP bashguard and chainguide - the amg v2. It wasn't any different an install as on other bikes. some need some spacers and some don't depending on chain line. Washers/spacers are included. in a pinch, I've also used the retaining nut from an inner tube as a spacer.

https://www.jensonusa.com/MRP-AMG-V2...SABEgK06_D_BwE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DanBikesMI View Post
    Given a traditional BB shell width and ISCG tab placement, coupled with a non-traditional [superboost] chainline... it’s safe to say that some use of spacers will certainly be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    I also used an MRP bashguard and chainguide - the amg v2. It wasn't any different an install as on other bikes. some need some spacers and some don't depending on chain line. Washers/spacers are included. in a pinch, I've also used the retaining nut from an inner tube as a spacer.
    I used the same MRP guide on my Switchblade. Worked great, and it only needed a couple spacers that came with it.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567