Pivot Trail 429 - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,063 of 1063

Thread: Pivot Trail 429

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    Very nice! Manly Dam MTB trail in the pic?
    No, Royal National Park at Loftus

First ride on my new bike and I was blown away at how good it is

Seriously loving this bike

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Awesome! I used to live at Loftus - the RNP is great riding. Am hoping to pick my bike up by end of Jan - just have to sell my Instinct first!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Awesome! I used to live at Loftus - the RNP is great riding. Am hoping to pick my bike up by end of Jan - just have to sell my Instinct first!
    Awesome, you will love it, this bike is perfect for the trails around the RNP

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If I go from a 29 wheelset to a 27.5 do I need to do something to the decoupler ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    If I go from a 29 wheelset to a 27.5 do I need to do something to the decoupler ??

There's a 27.5+ lower headset cup you need to swap out. It keeps the BB at same height.
    Pivot Trail429
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    There's a 27.5+ lower headset cup you need to swap out. It keeps the BB at same height.
    Is it a pain in the ass to do ride to ride ? 29 to 27.5?

Iím not techie

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is it a pain in the ass to do ride to ride ? 29 to 27.5?

Iím not techie

No. the headset is internal, so no need to repress the headset. You simply loosen the stem and stem cap and let the fork drop out of the frame. Then swap the lower headset cup. Its pretty straight-forward.

Curious on your reasons to swap out to 27+. I had an 2018 Hightower that came 27+ (2.8) and I swapped to 29er the summer after and never looked back.

The Trail429 is a rocketship. I sold my 2020 Hightower to get a 2019 Trail 429 ProXTR build. So much better.
    Pivot Trail429
    Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Funny you ask that Iím contemplating that right nowÖ Am I just tinkering?Ö Am I just having an at off-season itch For the weather to get better.Ö But I am intrigued by 27 5 x 3.0 .- Single track with twists and some chunk. Thatís why I ask is a pain in the ass to change it out because I may only use the 27.5 occasionally.
    By the way I sold my 2020 high tower and kept the 429.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Funny you ask that Iím contemplating that right nowÖ Am I just tinkering?Ö Am I just having an at off-season itch For the weather to get better.Ö But I am intrigued by 27 5 x 3.0 .- Single track with twists and some chunk. Thatís why I ask is a pain in the ass to change it out because I may only use the 27.5 occasionally.
    By the way I sold my 2020 high tower and kept the 429.

Yeah, its not hard at all to do the swap. Just need the lower 27.5 cup. It "should have" come with your purchase of the bike, but if not any pivot dealer should be able to track one down for you.
    Pivot Trail429
    Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My new Trail 429 has finally arrived (ignore odd position of dropper post, was still working on it when I took the pic). Stoked it is here.
    One quick question: has anyone frame-skinned theirs? And are you happy with it?
    I am looking at either Frameskin or All Mountain Style for frame protection. Had AMS on my previous Bronson but like the minimalist look of Frameskin, even though it is a lot thinner, etc.
    Anyway, any feedback would be great! Now I just have to wait for the rain to stop here in Sydney (Aus) to get it out on some trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Trail 429-img_0149.jpg  

mtbr member
    Soooo....I know it's pretty new, but any chance of a new "vertical shock" T429? Love the FB29 and can't wait to try the new SB...but both are a bit "too big' for my area.

A bit lighter, a bit more progressive, a bit more reach? A SWATbox (have I gone too far? ) What really caught my attention was in the Flow first ride review of the SB "...it negotiates tight, awkward lines better than any bike Iíve ridden in recent memory."

If a new 429 rode that way, but was more efficient (even if by virtue of only being 130/120), it would be just about the prefect-est bike.

...or is it just too soon for an update?

mtbr member
    I could care less about the shock orientation, I just want the stupid under BB cable gone!!!

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    I could care less about the shock orientation, I just want the stupid under BB cable gone!!!
    Why does that bug you so much? It has not been an issue, also other brands have done this very thing for years without issue.

Doesn't seem that it warrants three exclamation points.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    My new Trail 429 has finally arrived (ignore odd position of dropper post, was still working on it when I took the pic). Stoked it is here.
    One quick question: has anyone frame-skinned theirs? And are you happy with it?
    I am looking at either Frameskin or All Mountain Style for frame protection. Had AMS on my previous Bronson but like the minimalist look of Frameskin, even though it is a lot thinner, etc.
    Anyway, any feedback would be great! Now I just have to wait for the rain to stop here in Sydney (Aus) to get it out on some trails!
    I tried the frame skinz on my 429 and really didn't like the way it looked on the matt frame

I used the downtube skin and a few pieces around the head tube to stop cable rub

Wish I didn't waste my $200.00 AUD with the kit

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks G-Tech. Good to know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Why does that bug you so much? It has not been an issue, also other brands have done this very thing for years without issue.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    The orientation has more to it then just changing it to change it. It would be interesting to see how soon the Trail get the new kinematics.
    Ripley LS v3

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.
    Generally things that suck, don't work, or there are issues. I get it if you you don't like the aesthetics, but functionally there are no issues.

Seems silly to complain so much about something that doesn't matter to the fit and function of the bike. If it somehow impeded something physically, but it doesn't.

Maybe people just need something to complain about.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    The orientation has more to it then just changing it to change it. It would be interesting to see how soon the Trail get the new kinematics.
    TwoTone has it right and it's why I wonder if there would be an update. Eventually, all Pivots will look the same and, most importantly, have the revised kinematics.

Not b/c I thought: whoa...vertical looks really neat!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Generally things that suck, don't work, or there are issues. I get it if you you don't like the aesthetics, but functionally there are no issues.

Seems silly to complain so much about something that doesn't matter to the fit and function of the bike. If it somehow impeded something physically, but it doesn't.

Maybe people just need something to complain about.
    You must not ride anywhere that's wet and muddy.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    TwoTone has it right and is why I wonder if there would be an update. Eventually, all Pivots will look the same and, most importantly, have the revised kinematics.

Not b/c I thought: whoa...vertical looks really neat!
    I've been vocal about what I think is the stupidity of superboost on a 120mm trail bike , but I will say if they update the Trail to the new kinematics that allow the Trail to run a coil - then Pivot has something pretty unique/interesting. The only other short travel coil frame I know of is a Banshee Phantom.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

It sucks because it catches branches on the trail and rocks when going through rock gardens. In addition it's location allows it to get damaged more easily if going up and over things...the cables can get damaged when smashed into the bottom bracket.

Speaking from experience on all accounts where I have done all of the above.

No cabling on any mountain bike should ever run under the bottom bracket. It should be run above the bottom bracket and on top of or inside the chainstays.

If all a person does is ride flow trail, then cabling under the BB is no big deal.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    It sucks because it catches branches on the trail and rocks when going through rock gardens. In addition it's location allows it to get damaged more easily if going up and over things...the cables can get damaged when smashed into the bottom bracket.

Speaking from experience on all accounts where I have done all of the above.

No cabling on any mountain bike should ever run under the bottom bracket. It should be run above the bottom bracket and on top of or inside the chainstays.

If all a person does is ride flow trail, then cabling under the BB is no big deal.
    I'm sorry, but, I need some pictures or this didn't happen. I'm not calling you a liar, but we haven't received a complaint of this happening.

Yes, it is a fear that some people have, but unless you built your bike with an insane amount of cable hanging down, this doesn't happen. Your chain ring hits before the cable comes close to anything.

Years of World Cup racing on frames with this cable hanging down, and no report of this ever happening.

Years of product development, and history of these bikes out in the field, and I've yet to witness this happening, or hear of a customer reporting it to our customer service team.

Years of bikes out in one of our 4 demo fleets, and not one issue of what you are suggesting.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm sorry, but, I need some pictures or this didn't happen. I'm not calling you a liar, but we haven't received a complaint of this happening.

Yes, it is a fear that some people have, but unless you built your bike with an insane amount of cable hanging down, this doesn't happen. Your chain ring hits before the cable comes close to anything.

Years of World Cup racing on frames with this cable hanging down, and no report of this ever happening.

Years of product development, and history of these bikes out in the field, and I've yet to witness this happening, or hear of a customer reporting it to our customer service team.

Years of bikes out in one of our 4 demo fleets, and not one issue of what you are suggesting.
    Dan- but under the BB and/or down tube are crud catchers.

I've had bikes with that routing and sorry it sucks if you don't live somewhere dry like AZ.

I noticed a difference between the Ripley LS with the brake line going down the down tube and the Ripley V4 with internal routing.

My Specialized Stumpjumer was horrible. Both routing below the downtube and under the BB.
    Ripley LS v3

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Dan- but under the BB and/or down tube are crud catchers.

I've had bikes with that routing and sorry it sucks if you don't live somewhere dry like AZ.
    I agree with you on that point for sure. When it comes to places for mud and dirt to gather, it certainly can do that there.

@prj71 claims that the cable get's smashed down there, but I can't see that happening due to the chain ring preventing that. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying we at PIVOT haven't seen it.

When it comes to mud and grime, not sure anything is safe. Anything near a tire can get coated with the stuff.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Pivot Trail 429

I agree with you on that point for sure. When it comes to places for mud and dirt to gather, it certainly can do that there.

@prj71 claims that the cable get's smashed down there, but I can't see that happening due to the chain ring preventing that. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying we at PIVOT haven't.
    Quick edit and photo added:

It happens, I have put big nicks in one cable housing under the bb and replaced it. I havenít managed to obliterate a cable to failure yet though, because I caught it in time.
    Many lbs that build the bikes leave a decent amount of slack whether itís right or wrong. The cable on mine extends well below the chain ring. I asked why it was so low and was told it needs the slack due to the way Pivot designed it. I wonít argue how much slack is needed or not but the annoyance would be prevented by a different design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by semi75 View Post
    Quick edit and photo added:

It happens, I have put big nicks in one cable housing under the bb and replaced it. I havenít managed to obliterate a cable to failure yet though, because I caught it in time.
    Many lbs that build the bikes leave a decent amount of slack whether itís right or wrong. The cable on mine extends well below the chain ring. I asked why it was so low and was told it needs the slack due to the way Pivot designed it. I wonít argue how much slack is needed or not but the annoyance would be prevented by a different design.[/IMG]
    That is pretty long! I'd venture to say too long. Check the site, there are action photos of the Trail, you can see how short the housing is.

It only needs to be long enough to clear the BB when the bike is fully compressed into it's travel.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

@prj71 claims that the cable get's smashed down there, but I can't see that happening due to the chain ring preventing that. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying we at PIVOT haven't seen it.

When it comes to mud and grime, not sure anything is safe. Anything near a tire can get coated with the stuff.
    This is not a slam, just constructive criticism, why not route it differently to avoid the issue? There is no performance gain from routing it this way.

While crud may collect on a down tub with nothing on it. I can say it's a 1000x easier to be able to wipe it down , then picking leaves and mud out from the cables.

Hopefully when the Trail gets an update, Pivot will route it like the SB and SL.
    Ripley LS v3

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    This is not a slam, just constructive criticism, why not route it differently to avoid the issue? There is no performance gain from routing it this way.

While crud may collect on a down tub with nothing on it. I can say it's a 1000x easier to be able to wipe it down , then picking leaves and mud out from the cables.

Hopefully when the Trail gets an update, Pivot will route it like the SB and SL.
    I get it, and didn't read your comment as a slam. Your comments are very constructive. So, thank you.

Fingers crossed as well!
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Not everyone rides flow trail and I don't have any pictures.

My last FS bike a brake cable and derailleur cable were routed under the bottom bracket. Both had been smashed running through rock gardens and had to be replaced. You would think that the chain ring would hit first but that wasn't always the case.

The damage to the brake cable never caused any brake failure but the casing was split open and it would have only been a matter of time before it failed. So I replaced it.

The derailleur cable was damaged to the point that the rear derailleur wouldn't move when I shifted. So I had to replace it.

In addition, with it hanging down, I had numerous sticks and branches get caught in that loop and I would have to stop my ride and remove them.

Cabling under the BB is bad design. No benefit whatsoever to route it under there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Not everyone rides flow trail and I don't have any pictures.

My last FS bike a brake cable and derailleur cable were routed under the bottom bracket. Both had been smashed running through rock gardens and had to be replaced. You would think that the chain ring would hit first but that wasn't always the case.

The damage to the brake cable never caused any brake failure but the casing was split open and it would have only been a matter of time before it failed. So I replaced it.

The derailleur cable was damaged to the point that the rear derailleur wouldn't move when I shifted. So I had to replace it.

In addition, with it hanging down, I had numerous sticks and branches get caught in that loop and I would have to stop my ride and remove them.

Cabling under the BB is bad design. No benefit whatsoever to route it under there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Got it, so not a PIVOT issue, but another brands issue.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Got it, so not a PIVOT issue, but another brands issue.
    Ummm....No.

Any brand that routes the cable under the BB is a bad design. I will never buy a bike again with the cabling run under the BB.

This is the proper way to do it...

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  28.0 KB

Pivot Trail 429-capture2.jpg

Pivot Trail 429-capture3.jpg

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Ummm....No.

Any brand that routes the cable under the BB is a bad design. I will never buy a bike again with the cabling run under the BB.

This is the proper way to do it...
    My comment was that your history with this claimed issue was from a different brand, NOT a PIVOT.

I stand by my comments, PIVOT is not seeing complaints or hearing of issues with this cable design.

It is not a poor design, but others have had poor execution of that design, and you have a history of it being an issue on those brands. I fully understand that point. You have merit in your position due to your experience with those brands.

That being said, Chris did change the design on the Switchblade, since there is no FD compatibility, cables can be routed differently.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quit focusing on brand. Brand doesn't matter. Just because you aren't hearing about it or seeing it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Cables routed under the BB are cables routed under the BB. They are susceptible to rock hits and catching branches. Pivot got it half correct. One is right now fix the other one.

We can agree to disagree and just leave it at that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I stand by my comments, PIVOT is not seeing complaints or hearing of issues with this cable design.

It is not a poor design,
    I disagree. This same cable routing is on my Mach 4. And I've had to change my cable twice due to the cable getting ripped out and getting struck by a rock(although that probably save my BB from taking a hit).
    Love the bike, but that cable routing is asinine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar View Post
    I disagree. This same cable routing is on my Mach 4. And I've had to change my cable twice due to the cable getting ripped out and getting struck by a rock(although that probably save my BB from taking a hit).
    Love the bike, but that cable routing is asinine.
    My comment was that your history with this claimed issue was from a different brand, NOT a PIVOT.

Dan- to be fair, how many people do you think are going to call up Pivot if this happens?

I know on my Stumpjumper I would have replaced the cable and moved on. I sure wouldn't call Specialized since there isn't anything they can do.
    Ripley LS v3

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Dan- to be fair, how many people do you think are going to call up Pivot if this happens?

I know on my Stumpjumper I would have replaced the cable and moved on. I sure wouldn't call Specialized since there isn't anything they can do.
    You'd be surprised how many customers call us, or email us about the smallest issues. We welcome it, and appreciate the tiny details people share. But I'm sure many don't.

Our dealers and distributors are really good and providing us feedback. So, I'm not dismissing this saying this NEVER happens. I'm saying, if it were a problem, our dealers or distributors would have mentioned it to us. If this was a common issue, and many people were having this issue, mechanics at shops around the world would report it to us.

The overall statement earlier was that this is a design flaw, and that all bikes with this design have problems. We aren't having problems with this design.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Pivot Trail 429

Iím just curious why dan doesnít just let this drop instead of arguing w customers. Itís a great bike but customers pointed out something they donít like. Pass the info along and move on. There is no real reason to argue about it.
    Iím only responding because of silly post notifications over the same thing. Pivot doesnít see it as a big issue, itís an annoyance to me, a no go for some and probably doesnít register to some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Iím just curious why dan doesnít just let this drop instead of arguing w customers.
    Because it's bad PR if he admits they could do better or admitted it is a design flaw.

I've been researching new FS bikes for a purchase I am making this spring and knocked the Pivot off the list for 3 reasons.

-Cable routed under the bottom bracket.
    -Press Fit BB
    -157 rear hub spacing.

mtbr member
    Iím just curious why dan doesnít just let this drop instead of arguing w customers. Itís a great bike but customers pointed out something they donít like. Pass the info along and move on. There is no real reason to argue about it.
    Iím only responding because of silly post notifications over the same thing. Pivot doesnít see it as a big issue, itís an annoyance to me, a no go for some and probably doesnít register to some.

Because it's bad PR if he admits they could do better or admitted it is a design flaw.

I've been researching new FS bikes for a purchase I am making this spring and knocked the Pivot off the list for 3 reasons.

-Press Fit BB
    -157 rear hub spacing.
    I'd say it's just as bad of PR to keep dismissing several different posters concerns acting like they're stupid...especially after Jlar posted about his experience. He LITERALLY just typed that it was an issue and now Pivot (through Dan) has heard about the issue.

I don't think he meant to come off that way, but that's how it reads. Add that to the list of updates for the T429!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I personally don't think of it as arguing, maybe others do. I actually agree that it's not a 'flaw' just based on my experience - a poor design choice.

I'm sure that is mute point, I would be shocked if the next Trail doesn't follow the redesign of the SL and SB.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

-Press Fit BB
    -157 rear hub spacing.
    I will agree with those 3 points- it's why I went with a Ripley V4 and unfortunately regretted that decision, so my current LS is a place holder. I don't want one of the new crop of really long, steep STA and slack HTA bikes.
    The Trail fits what I'm looking for except for the 3 issues you have.

Ibis turned around and redesigned the Rimpo pretty quickly, hopeful Pivot does the same with the Trail 429. But I doubt they'll add threaded BB, I can sort of let the 157 on a short travel bike slide even though I think it's over kill. Personally think a threaded BB would have been better than a 157 rear end.
    Ripley LS v3

change is good
    Sep 2004

-Press Fit BB
    -157 rear hub spacing.
    Well, been riding for 30 years, never had issues with progression to the above except cost of a back up wheel.

A few voices donít necessarily mean fact. Jeez, some people donít like the above. Thatís fine. Youíre beliefs are your beliefs but you canít provide any factual data about supposed design flaws. Just a few first and second hand accounts. Yet, they continue to come to this forum to bitch about the same things, over and over. Other brands have adopted PF and 157, but I donít appreciate the level of criticism directed towards Pivot, but admittedly that is a subjective opinion on my part. Just go to the Ibis forum and be happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

-Press Fit BB
    -157 rear hub spacing.
    @pjr71
    I had the exact same concerns as you did. But I did a ton of research and choose to give Pivot a chance and bought a T429. I couldn't be happier.

-I smashed the bottom side of the frame into a log on my very first ride. Tore the rubber protector on the frame, but did not harm the cable housing. that stuff is tougher than it looks.
    -Search and find some interviews where Chris C. talks about why they use PF. He explains how they manufacture their frames and why their version of PF is better (has to do with mfg techniques and tolerance). It makes sense, and I have had zero issues (i.e. noise) with mine so far.
    -157 hub spacing might limit your stock built wheel choices (custom built is not a problem), but how often do you buy wheels? Once you ride a T429 and realize how precise the bike is when cornering you will be sold on the wider hub spacing.

That's my 2 cents...

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I'd say it's just as bad of PR to keep dismissing several different posters concerns acting like they're stupid...especially after Jlar posted about his experience. He LITERALLY just typed that it was an issue and now Pivot (through Dan) has heard about the issue.

I don't think he meant to come off that way, but that's how it reads. Add that to the list of updates for the T429!
    You guys are both right. It started off trying to get clarity of his issue. It seemed prj71 was overly upset about what he considered was a flaw. Turns out his experience is from poor execution from other brands.

I don't think I dismissed the other posts. All of these issues are shared with engineering. And as you point out, his issue is the first I've heard of.

If my comments came across as curt or dismissive, not my intention, I apologize.

I was caught of guard by how adamant that the design was a flaw, when his experience was not with a PIVOT, as our execution is different than others, and our history of using a cable under the BB has not been an issue.

Also to be clear, we aren't naive to think that mud, dirt, twigs or other debris could get caught in the cables - though, that can happen on any cable anywhere on the bike in reality. My comments are from the point that if this were an issue, we would have received hundreds or thousands of reports of issues, we have not. Also, we wouldn't have continued to make model after model using that design, if we did receive such feedback. Only recently did we make the first change to using that design with the Switchblade.

Any one who knows me, knows they can always send me a direct PM, or email me at [email protected] I'm an open book, and I'm happy to answer your emails, and if needed get on the phone to talk about anything and everything.

Sorry if I made anyone mad or upset with what I said.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm not overly upset. Just pointing out what I think is a bad idea. Maybe "design flaw" is not the correct way to describe it. It's a bad idea based on what I and others have posted above.

And as pointed out...If it is happening, nobody is going to send in reports on it. Myself included. Just like my last FS bike I replaced the cabling and moved on and chalked it up as a learning experience as to what to look for on future bike purchases.

Your execution of the cable under the BB is no different than anyone else's. I'm not sure what you think is so different. As I pointed out before a cable run under the BB is a cable run under the BB.

mtbr member
    No. the headset is internal, so no need to repress the headset. You simply loosen the stem and stem cap and let the fork drop out of the frame. Then swap the lower headset cup. Its pretty straight-forward.

Curious on your reasons to swap out to 27+. I had an 2018 Hightower that came 27+ (2.8) and I swapped to 29er the summer after and never looked back.

The Trail429 is a rocketship. I sold my 2020 Hightower to get a 2019 Trail 429 ProXTR build. So much better.
    You do have to repress the lower cup as I just did it on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    You do have to repress the lower cup as I just did it on my bike.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I haven't actually done it, just know its available. Did you leave it 29er with the new lower cup (to slacken a little more)?
    Pivot Trail429
    Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I haven't actually done it, just know its available. Did you leave it 29er with the new lower cup (to slacken a little more)?
    I plan on it, still riding the plus set up threw winter, wtb scrapers 40mm with Vee Bulldozer tires 3.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi folks,

Whatís the consensus on tire clearance for T429? Iíve seen a few posts of folks running 29x2.6. I reached out to Pivot customer service and asked about clearance on the stock (for enduro build) Reynolds 34 iw rims and they said max 2.5 or risk tire rub. I know thereís lots of variability in tire size, but hoping to run minion dhrII/dhf combo in 2.6. Am I asking for trouble?
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fryeguy View Post
    Hi folks,

Whatís the consensus on tire clearance for T429? Iíve seen a few posts of folks running 29x2.6. I reached out to Pivot customer service and asked about clearance on the stock (for enduro build) Reynolds 34 iw rims and they said max 2.5 or risk tire rub. I know thereís lots of variability in tire size, but hoping to run minion dhrII/dhf combo in 2.6. Am I asking for trouble?
    Thanks in advance
    Iím running 27.5 x 3.0 with plenty of room, I canít see why 29x2.6 wouldnít fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I just put on a 29x2.6 bontrager XR4 in the front, and a 29x2.5 maxis aggressor in the rear. There is tons of room with my setup. I do have the stock wheels on, which I believe have a iw30, so I'm not sure if you went with a wider rim diameter how it would affect that...
    2015 giant glory
    2017 motobecane nighttrain express
    2019 pivot trail 429

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I will agree with those 3 points- it's why I went with a Ripley V4 and unfortunately regretted that decision, so my current LS is a place holder. I don't want one of the new crop of really long, steep STA and slack HTA bikes.
    The Trail fits what I'm looking for except for the 3 issues you have.
    Hey TwoTone... I'm on the fence between a Trail 429 and a Ripley V4. Curious why you moved on from the Ripley? Was it primarily the geo?

I've been riding both back-to-back for a few days now on super tech trails in New England... very different bikes indeed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspagat View Post
    Hey TwoTone... I'm on the fence between a Trail 429 and a Ripley V4. Curious why you moved on from the Ripley? Was it primarily the geo?

I've been riding both back-to-back for a few days now on super tech trails in New England... very different bikes indeed.
    The V4 may be perfect for New England. I'm not familiar with the trails there. My trails are all rolling hills unless I travel, so the 'new' geo just doesn't work for me. I already run bars with 20 degree back sweep for my wrists. The new geo combined with basically flattish trails killed my hands.

One thing I'll admit, I would have been willing to try a medium vs the large I had if I could have traded. I've mentioned in other threads, I had a Canfield Riot that didn't bother me even though it had a 77 STA. I believe that is because of the 1.3 inch longer effective top tube of the Ripley. That puts you in a more hunched over position when pedaling and puts more weight on your hands. The Medium Ripley would have been very similar to the Large Riot.
    Ripley LS v3

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Looking at a Stumpjumper SWorks 29" ST and a Pivot Trail 429 Team XTR 29".
    Does anybody have input as to how one is over the other for XC riding?
    No jumps or drops but roots and rocks. Coming from more of XC riding/racing background including single speeding but looking for something that will climb well too and good for all day rides.
    Thank You!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Looking at a Stumpjumper SWorks 29" ST and a Pivot Trail 429 Team XTR 29".
    Does anybody have input as to how one is over the other for XC riding?
    No jumps or drops but roots and rocks. Coming from more of XC riding/racing background including single speeding but looking for something that will climb well too and good for all day rides.
    Thank You!
    Can't tell you what's best for you, but I prefer DW link bikes over Horst links bikes.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    This wonít answer your question but I thought I should suggest it: have you checked out the new Pivot Mach 4 SL? I recently demoed the Race XT version with the 120 fork. I was really really impressed! Super light, and capable of handling aggressive XC and medium trail riding. I currently ride a Mach 429T; when I replace it, I will be replacing it with a Mach 4 SL. A sub 25 pound bike with a 67.5į head angle. Itís awesome!

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Thank You for the input folks. I do know the DW link is a good platform and the Mach SL looks like a great bike as well.
    I had an Epic and it was too soft for the trail riding I was doing. I could not agree with the Brain suspension no matter what I did with the settings. Although I am 200 lbs, it should have been better than it was.
    Perhaps this is why I was looking at the Trail 429 Team XTR or Stumpjumper S Works ST 29.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had an Epic and it was too soft for the trail riding I was doing. ...
    I'm not sure what you mean by "too soft", but if you are referring to the stiffness of the bike, the Trail 429 will not disappoint. Prior to purchasing I rode both bikes you are looking at and I choose the Trail 429 because it felt much more stiff to me (both in terms of frame and suspension).

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    I have read that the Trail 429 is a stiff frame. That is what appeals to me about it. I am also curious about the Mach SL as that seems to be more of an XC and lighter bike but not sure on how stiff it is. I'll have to do my research but I do like the Pivots.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    I have read that the Trail 429 is a stiff frame. That is what appeals to me about it. I am also curious about the Mach SL as that seems to be more of an XC and lighter bike but not sure on how stiff it is. I'll have to do my research but I do like the Pivots.
    I can attest to the stiffness of both bikes. I owned the Mach 4 SL, it's a fantastic bike. I bought it when I weighed 230 lbs. Diet and riding helped me drop down to 200 lbs. It is a capable stiff frame, and at my weight I didn't notice any frame flex. The bike went where you pointed it to go.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Last week I decided to try 27.5 in rear and 29 up front. It definitely felt different. On the tighter trails going down hill it did handle a little snappier, climbing was not nearly as good when I rode 29 front and rear, Which I used the zero stack headset cup. With the 79er combo I used the 17mm cup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Any Trail 429 owners try the new 2020 Trek Top Fuel? I'd be interested in hearing comparisons, particularly with regards to climbing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456