Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Pivot Trail 429

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just ordered mine!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bakergeoff View Post
    Hey guys.. has anyone changed their crankset. If so what did you change it to?

I picked up a frame and need a crank set for it. My first mtb in about 5yrs and Super boost plus is confusing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    LBS helped me to build a custom machine instead of a pre packaged build. I am running Kogel ceramic dub bottom bracket with xx1 eagle dub cranks. I have the one up front chain ring that comes factory to convert it to super boost. It mounted right up to the dub crankset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by finbike View Post
    Anyone with riding experience from both Trail models? The older mach 429 trail vs. new trail.
    I was planing on buying the new one, but there is old one in size XL with high end parts in very competetive price.
    Is there a big difference between those two versions? Currently riding 429 carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I owned and put over 4000 miles on my 429 Trail and now own and have put about 300 miles on my Trail 429. The difference is surprisingly large. I honestly at first didnít expect it to be such a big difference. The geo on the new one is actually pretty amazing. I feel like it climbs better and descends better and honestly is largely due to geo and subsequent rider positioning. Of note, both had basically exact same build out for me so almost no difference between the two except frame geo. The harder you push this bike the better it feels. I went from constant pedal strikes to literally almost none. I am more comfortable on the bike and in a much better riding stance for pretty much everything I encounter.

I honestly canít tell a single bit of difference with new super boost vs old non super boost which actually annoys me a little bc I know there is a weight difference just bc of super boost. I am running Nox carbon hoops with bladed spokes though so I have a stiff wheelset already by choice. So not sure I would actually feel much of a difference.

All in, I am super happy with the upgrade from the old to the new and would absolutely recommend it. I am currently debating adding spring kit to upgrade to 140mm fork and swapping rear to dpx2 for travel trips with this bike.

I will try to post pics this week as its a pretty interesting and very custom build out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by I hate tree gates View Post
    I owned and put over 4000 miles on my 429 Trail and now own and have put about 300 miles on my Trail 429. The difference is surprisingly large. I honestly at first didnít expect it to be such a big difference. The geo on the new one is actually pretty amazing. I feel like it climbs better and descends better and honestly is largely due to geo and subsequent rider positioning. Of note, both had basically exact same build out for me so almost no difference between the two except frame geo. The harder you push this bike the better it feels. I went from constant pedal strikes to literally almost none. I am more comfortable on the bike and in a much better riding stance for pretty much everything I encounter.

I honestly canít tell a single bit of difference with new super boost vs old non super boost which actually annoys me a little bc I know there is a weight difference just bc of super boost. I am running Nox carbon hoops with bladed spokes though so I have a stiff wheelset already by choice. So not sure I would actually feel much of a difference.

All in, I am super happy with the upgrade from the old to the new and would absolutely recommend it. I am currently debating adding spring kit to upgrade to 140mm fork and swapping rear to dpx2 for travel trips with this bike.

I will try to post pics this week as its a pretty interesting and very custom build out.
    Thanks for the good feedback! I placed my order a few days ago and can't wait to get my hands on this bike. I am immediately going for the DPX2 and 140 fork upgrade. I gotta ask though... do you feel limited with the current setup? If so, in what type of terrain? I would be interested in hearing your feedback if you make the switch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mephyst View Post
    Thanks for the good feedback! I placed my order a few days ago and can't wait to get my hands on this bike. I am immediately going for the DPX2 and 140 fork upgrade. I gotta ask though... do you feel limited with the current setup? If so, in what type of terrain? I would be interested in hearing your feedback if you make the switch.
    Just in case you were not aware you can order the bike w the dpx2 upgrade. Not sure if you were aware by the phrasing, if so carry on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Pro X01 build this week with the carbon wheel upgrade. I've pretty much read and watched everything on the internet in regards to the new Trail 429. I was initially going to purchase a mid/long travel 29er, but this will be my only bike for now and my thinking changed. I'm going back and forth whether or not to get the DPX2 upgrade or not... specifically, what are the major differences between the two shocks? Will I be able to plow more with the DPX2 in comparison to the DPS? What will I sacrifice? I heard it might be a little less "poppy", which might not necessarily be a bad thing.

I think I'm going to ride the bike with the 130mm fork for a couple weeks and then open it up to the 140.

Any help/tips are appreciated before I fork out the dough. Lol!
    I went through this exact journey and then some. Started with a Highball to do some XC racing and gravel riding. Realized i did not want the torture since i passed the half century mark last year. This is about the time the Firebird was announced so i got on a really big bike kick. backed off an actually ordered a Primer and then cancelled it the next day. Test rode a SB4.5 and decided i actually do still want to race, maybe endurance xc and looked at the SB100. Even with the new lifetime guarantee im still very leary of breaking a frame since I have been a Clydesdale for a long time. To be honest once i gave up on the Firebird i hadnt really looked at Pivot until very recently. Long story short i ordered it last night. I rode the X01 but actually ordered the XT race. I cant say i can tell any discernible difference in the elite Vs factory for the suspension or the shifting between SRAM and Shimano. Id actually rather have the less finicky 11 speed rather than 12 that could climb upside down with 32/50. Plus i save $2000 i can use for a 27+ wheelset to play on

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I live in DFW area so honestly itís fairly flat here with varying terrain. I donít really top out my suspension capabilities here but plan to start flying with this bike 5-7 times a yr for bike trips. I have previously been traveling and renting bikes and have grown tired of dealing with rentals. For those trips I think it would be nice to have a dpx2 for long descents and if I am going to upgrade that then the 140mm upgrade is super cheap and would be a good compliment. I donít feel limited at all by this bike and certainly am tough on it. Can argue my environment doesnít stack up to bike parks of whistler or Colorado etc... but we have a lot of diverse trails here with big rocks etc. I ride this very aggresssively and itís not a 160/150mm big travel bike but I donít want it to be. I plan to ride this all over the country on various trips I already have booked.

On my old 429trail I definitely bottomed our the suspension quite a few times on big drops or jumps that really had hard landings or just overall things that a little more travel would have been nice for.

Again, I am actually explicitly happy with this bike. Surprisingly so because I was pretty opposed to the super boost because it killed two carbon wheel sets I had built within the current year.. if my bike were stolen, I would definitely buy this bike again tomorrow.

Here is something most people donít take into acct... I sold my used 429Trail within 4 days with a lot of miles on it and actually got great $ for it. These things actually hold their value better than even I would have suspected.

Just my $.02

mtbr member
    I've come to the realization that the Mach 5.5 might be too much bike for me. Even though, I've taken it to AZ, CO and a couple bike parks. Considering the Trail 429 or waiting to see if Pivot builds Mach 5 with more focus on the trail spectrum and less on the enduro.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My Trail 429 finally came in! First ride went down last night in Laguna, CA and it was amazing! I went with the Pro X01 build, upgraded to DPX2 rear shock and Reynolds carbon wheels.

I was originally going to get a longer travel 29er because they are all the rage right now, but honestly, this bike is pretty damn capable. I'm not going to lie... I was a little worried about not having enough travel, but this thing was butter smooth over some moderate chunk. It climbs really well and descends just as good. It's a great one bike quiver and perfect for my current needs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My Trail 429 finally came in! First ride went down last night in Laguna, CA and it was amazing! I went with the Pro X01 build, upgraded to DPX2 rear shock and Reynolds carbon wheels.

I was originally going to get a longer travel 29er because they are all the rage right now, but honestly, this bike is pretty damn capable. I'm not going to lie... I was a little worried about not having enough travel, but this thing was butter smooth over some moderate chunk. It climbs really well and descends just as good. It's a great one bike quiver and perfect for my current needs.
    Nice man congrats! I've had my XX1 build for just over a month and really enjoying it. I ride about the same type of terrain up here in Thousand Oaks. The bike really is solid through chunk, and handles medium size drops with ease. I immediately started crushing many of my downhill PRs that stood for years on this bike. It's a good climber too for sure. I do wish it was a bit lighter but that's my only qualm with the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Green keeper View Post
    Nice man congrats! I've had my XX1 build for just over a month and really enjoying it. I ride about the same type of terrain up here in Thousand Oaks. The bike really is solid through chunk, and handles medium size drops with ease. I immediately started crushing many of my downhill PRs that stood for years on this bike. It's a good climber too for sure. I do wish it was a bit lighter but that's my only qualm with the bike.
    Awesome man, good to hear you're loving the bike and crushing PR's too. The weight was the only thing sort of bugging me about the bike too, but everyone keeps telling me not to worry about it. Lol. For only being a 120 bike, it's definitely a little hefty compared to other brands. I will say though... it's stiff as hell and pedals extremely well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Green keeper View Post
    Just picked up a medium XO1 build with Reynolds wheels and DPX2. Swapped out the saddle, bars, and grips. Weight with pedals, bottle cage, and oneup edc tool installed in the fork is 28.99 pounds.

Fork is also converted to 140mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Trail 429-pivottrail429.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by neosomatic View Post
    Just picked up a medium XO1 build with Reynolds wheels and DPX2. Swapped out the saddle, bars, and grips. Weight with pedals, bottle cage, and oneup edc tool installed in the fork is 28.99 pounds.

Sweet bike man congrats! Did you ride the bike with the stock parts before you swapped out those parts? How many rides do you have on it? Are you liking everything about it?

It definitely took me some time to get used to the wider bars compared to my old bike. I ordered 760mm bars but ended up getting 780. I like them now but it took some getting used to. Going back to my old bike feels really weird. Definitely going to have to put wider bars on that bike now.

I've been riding the heck out of mine. Did 105 miles last week. Just did a 31 mile ride with 4500 ft vertical Monday and the bike worked very well. I was surprised to feel like I had more in the tank when I got back to the truck.

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by neosomatic View Post

Nice bike, nice work space... What tool boxes are those?

Did you ride the bike with the fork in the original configuration? Or just in the 140mm travel?

My Trail 429 came with a Fox 34 - 130 fork, and I'm still annoyed that Fox claims it cannot be adjusted to 140- more so when I read reports of other pivot owners adjusting their forks.
    Will ride singletrack for food...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    Nice bike, nice work space... What tool boxes are those?

Did you ride the bike with the fork in the original configuration? Or just in the 140mm travel?

My Trail 429 came with a Fox 34 - 130 fork, and I'm still annoyed that Fox claims it cannot be adjusted to 140- more so when I read reports of other pivot owners adjusting their forks.
    Toolboxes are Lista. They are amazing.

I never rode the bike before all the changes. The shop I purchased the bike from swapped out the air shaft.

The Pivot is the first full suspension bike I've ridden in some years. I had an Ibis Mojo back in the day. For the last few years, I've been riding a titanium 27.5 hardtail.

I was able to demo the new Stumpjumper 29er at the Kingdom trails and didn't like it at all. It's possible it was not set up right and might have had tubes in the tires. This was also my first time riding a 29er.

I almost went with the Mach 5.5 over the trail 429, but after a quick parking lot tests at the shop, the Pivot felt nothing like the Stumpjumper. I enjoy riding the bike it's "point and shoot" and feels super stable.

I picked up a Mach 5.5 for my wife earlier this year and have ridden it a few times. However, it's an XS and hard to get a feel for being so small.

The 5.5 with a Fox 36 160mm fork came in at 27.8 pounds.

Old bike:

Wife's Mach 5.5:

Jacob 34:19

Question on sizing

I rented a large T429 over the weekend from my LBS so I could get a feel for the bike on some local trails. The last full suspension bike I owned was a Specialized Epic that I sold back in 2005 so, it's been a while. To say I was blown away by this bike would be an understatement. The suspension was flawless and (to me) seemed bottomless, the grip of the 27.5 x 2.8 tires was ridiculous and, for our trails here in DFW, I just can't imagine wanting more bike. It devoured the rock and roots, regardless of the line I took.

That said, at 6'2" I was really surprised at how cramped the large felt to me. Granted, I'm used to being stretched out on XC style bikes (my main bike is a large Niner Air9 carbon) but, even with the saddle all the way back on the rails, I still found myself sitting on the very back of the seat. I also couldn't get the saddle quite up to the proper height either due to not enough slack in the dropper post release cable. Obviously that's a build issue and not an issue with the bike.

Sorry for the long lead-in but the question is, for those of you that have purchased, did you size up to get a good fit or is this style bike designed to feel rather compact? According to Pivot's suggested sizing, I'm right on the border between L and XL.

Thanks for your input.

Handmade in Switzerland
    I would rather go to the bigger XL size an use a very short stem than have a long stem with the Large frame. But thats my personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEtheDOG View Post
    I rented a large T429 over the weekend from my LBS so I could get a feel for the bike on some local trails. The last full suspension bike I owned was a Specialized Epic that I sold back in 2005 so, it's been a while. To say I was blown away by this bike would be an understatement. The suspension was flawless and (to me) seemed bottomless, the grip of the 27.5 x 2.8 tires was ridiculous and, for our trails here in DFW, I just can't imagine wanting more bike. It devoured the rock and roots, regardless of the line I took.

That said, at 6'2" I was really surprised at how cramped the large felt to me. Granted, I'm used to being stretched out on XC style bikes (my main bike is a large Niner Air9 carbon) but, even with the saddle all the way back on the rails, I still found myself sitting on the very back of the seat. I also couldn't get the saddle quite up to the proper height either due to not enough slack in the dropper post release cable. Obviously that's a build issue and not an issue with the bike.

Sorry for the long lead-in but the question is, for those of you that have purchased, did you size up to get a good fit or is this style bike designed to feel rather compact? According to Pivot's suggested sizing, I'm right on the border between L and XL.

Thanks for your input.

Single Track Addict

Thanks for your input.
    I am slightly taller than you @ 6'-4" (not sure of my "ape index") and ride a n XL T429. Even I feel slightly cramped, even though the reach/ TT are longer than my last bike.

I would suggest you demo an XL before you buy.

Jacob 34:19
    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    I would rather go to the bigger XL size an use a very short stem than have a long stem with the Large frame. But thats my personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    I am slightly taller than you @ 6'-4" (not sure of my "ape index") and ride a n XL T429. Even I feel slightly cramped, even though the reach/ TT are longer than my last bike.

I would suggest you demo an XL before you buy.
    Thanks for the responses and suggestions guys. The guys at my LBS are checking with Pivot to see when they'll have XL's again. They also agreed that the geo is really designed around stock stem lengths and suggested not trying to improve fit with a longer stem. It is strange that on paper, both ETT and Reach on the T429 are longer than my large Niner Air9 but the bike feels smaller.

Also peculiar, I did take some measurements of the Large T429 while I had it and, while the wheelbase and ST were spot on to the spec on the Pivot site, the ETT and Reach both actually measured out closer to what Pivot indicates for a size medium. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Single Track Addict
    Thanks for the responses and suggestions guys. The guys at my LBS are checking with Pivot to see when they'll have XL's again. They also agreed that the geo is really designed around stock stem lengths and suggested not trying to improve fit with a longer stem. It is strange that on paper, both ETT and Reach on the T429 are longer than my large Niner Air9 but the bike feels smaller.

Also peculiar, I did take some measurements of the Large T429 while I had it and, while the wheelbase and ST were spot on to the spec on the Pivot site, the ETT and Reach both actually measured out closer to what Pivot indicates for a size medium. I'm not sure what to make of that.
    Ya know... this issue has been rattling around in my head ever since I bought it...it seems short; especially in the reach/ top tube.

I'm going to need to take a tape to mine and compare the actual numbers to the advertised.

EDIT- I came off an XL 2014 SB66c. I'm on an XL T429.

Here are the published dimensions in a direct comparison:

Pivot Trail 429-yeti-pivot-comparison-capture.jpg

I'll report back.

Back on the wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    I've come to the realization that the Mach 5.5 might be too much bike for me. Even though, I've taken it to AZ, CO and a couple bike parks. Considering the Trail 429 or waiting to see if Pivot builds Mach 5 with more focus on the trail spectrum and less on the enduro.

Thoughts?
    I'm interested to hear more about this. I'm torn between the 5.5 and the T429. At the Pivot demo day, the 5.5 felt like the best bike I'd ever been on - I was at home from the instant I pushed the pedals. It's hard at a demo day to really know, though. I feel like the 5.5 was set up perfectly for me, where the T429 might have needed some work on the fork to be right.

I'd be really interested to hear if others were trying to choose between the 5.5 and T429, and why they chose one over the other.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Built mine up last week and got to thrash it this weekend in Snowmass. It's everything I wanted it to be: a perfect hybrid of the SB and 429sl. Climbs like a champ and rips descents. I climbed up the mountain twice, took it on a couple chairlift laps in the bike park, and rode the Rim trail - so I got a pretty good feel for it in several environments. Looking forward to more abuse this weekend in Winter Park!

Can't figure out how to embed, but here's a little clip.

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...76060416_n.mp4

Here's the build, but I've since swapped to XTR Boost cranks.
    Attachment 1205100
    I have a pivot switchblade and was wondering if the same boost xtr crankset would work? Are you running m9020 Boost or are you running the new m9100 boost?

I really want to upgrade my crankset but not sure what will work. I really want to use hope but i am not sure if the cranks will work with the switchblade.

I know you owned a SB also.

Help would be great.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
    I'm interested to hear more about this. I'm torn between the 5.5 and the T429. At the Pivot demo day, the 5.5 felt like the best bike I'd ever been on - I was at home from the instant I pushed the pedals. It's hard at a demo day to really know, though. I feel like the 5.5 was set up perfectly for me, where the T429 might have needed some work on the fork to be right.

I'd be really interested to hear if others were trying to choose between the 5.5 and T429, and why they chose one over the other.
    Demo'ed a Trail 429 over the weekend. It definitely seemed to pedal better than 5.5 which is no surprise. Hard to believe it would be the small difference in the seat tube angle but that's my guess. Less squish helps too.

It definitely handles very well on tight twisty trails and climbing switch backs. Honestly not sure I would have known it was a 29er. Front end seemed a little hefty when trying launch over log overs. Overall, the bike was a good 3 lbs heavier than my 5.5. Most of which was probably wheels and tires. Wagon wheels do roll easier over roots.

Launched it off a couple 3' drops which used all the front suspension and a lot of the rear. One of the drops was a flat landing and the other had a transition. If it were mine, I'd add a token or two in the front. Wonder how the DXP2 helps if any in these situations?

Hope this helps others and my 5.5 is still for sale with Envy wheels (M635) or Reynolds/I9 (28mm) rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sounds like you're in the XL camp Jake. I'm only 6'-0" and only felt comfortable on the XLs in the Mach 5.5, 429, and switchblade. I figured one might have to go down a size with the newer geometry (say from the switchblade to 5.5) but it's not the case.
    Best of luck with your selection!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would agree with that, Im 5'11" and Large is perfect fit with 55mm stem (and I use a 17mm offset seatpost for more XC type rides - dropper for when more enduro). Just check what size dropper will fit as the 150mm Fox transfer was a tad too tall for me on the L frame - need to get a 125mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hello all. Here's my build, it's custom as I have a friend here who owns a bike shop and was willing to strip it down for me weights and pricing ($aud) included.

It was a interesting trying to get up to speed on all these new standards since I last bought a mtb 5yra ago!

Can't wait to ride her

David '09 YETI 575 '91 GT Zaskar #2010 '97 Bully Piston '90 Klein Quantum

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Awesome build Bakergeoff. How does the DPX2 compare?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    This bike is ticking off a lot of boxes for me, planning on demo'ing one. I have 2 nice boost wheelsets that I'd have to rebuild which stings a little bit but I won't get hung up on super boost if it brings advantages.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what the rear hub engagement is like on the stock Sunringle hubs on the lower end builds? I checked their site but it's not listed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Bakergeoff - Very very nice build You must be stoked with the way it came out

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

travel to weight ratio

I've test ridden a bevy of bikes in the last month or two and the Trail 429 is near the top of the list, but I can't get over the weight to suspension travel ratio, even though I love the geometry and DW.

The Problem
    With the Trail 429 at $10k you get just sub 30 lbs and 130/120 travel. Compare that to the Yeti SB100 where for 8k you get 26 lbs and 120/100. Is the extra 20mm in back worth 2k and 4 lbs? Or, compare to a Pivot SwitchBlade at 10k you get sub 30 lbs 160/135.

If you are only looking at riding with friends it might, might make sense, if you don't mind the $ and feeling a little less than responsive up hill. If you enter the occasional race then the Trail starts to make even less sense.

Trail Bike
    A trail bike ascends as well as it descends right? Yes, the trail 429 did fine on some 5' drops, but it also had a significant negative impact on my climbing effort and time due to weight. There is a pretty sound case for the SB100 (which was also fine on a 5' drop) being a better climber at 4 lbs lighter.

If I am buying a bike for heavy riding I can get a SB and achieve roughly equivalent climbing by setting the rear shock dampening. On an SB the descent is significantly more comfortable than on the trail 429.

Why so heavy?
    Super boost is one reason for the weight issue. I like the rigidity, but not enough to pay 2-3 lbs for it. If I were a Clydesdale, maybe. Also, on a 10k bike I expect high modulus carbon. This frame is not high end carbon.

My use
    I live in Wyoming, ride Colorado trails a lot and try to make it to Downiville in CA for the point to point race. That race starts with a 4k climb. 20 mm in back just isn't worth 4 lbs there. I'd be better off to pay those 4lbs to a SwitchBlade and bomb the 21 miles of down hill.

In reality my best opportunity to save time and energy is the uphil, so I am left with the SB100. . . unless Pivot can come up with a better offering by spring (trail 429 geometry on a mach 429 sl with an additional 10-15 mm in back?). I was ready to plop down my 10k for a blingy trail 429 till I rode it up steep trails.

What I want
    • Trail 429 geometry
    • 26 lbs at $8k
    • 110 - 115 rear travel

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NTZeek View Post
    What I want
    • Trail 429 geometry
    • 26 lbs at $8k
    • 110 - 115 rear travel
    Sounds like you'd like the previous version, the Mach 429 Trail, with 116mm of rear travel. I have a M429T X01 11-speed build with carbon/DT350 wheelset, Specialized 29"x2.3" Grid tires, and KS Lev dropper that weighs 26.9 lbs. It can be even lighter if set up for racing.
    I'm sure you can get one for well under $8k since the new Trail 429 has been out for a while. I tested the new T429 at Outerbike earlier this year and really liked it. I found it very similar my M429T.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've never ridden a Giant, so can't compare it to DW (which I like) but take a look at the Trance Advanced Pro 29 130F/113R
    $5200 gets you Eagle GX with carbon wheel and Fox suspension
    $8700 gets you Eagle XO1 with carbon wheels and DVO suspension.

The reviews have been favorable.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Both excellent points, thanks Driven916 and TwoTone.

Going to have to do more demos!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Both excellent points, thanks Driven916 and TwoTone.

Going to have to do more demos!
    I should add the Giant also comes as Frame Only so you can build it how you want.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    How about orbea oiz?

Lšhetetty minun SM-G965F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    2013 Cannondale scalpel 1 29īer
    2017 SuperX force 1
    www.mckramppi.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by driven916 View Post
    Sounds like you'd like the previous version, the Mach 429 Trail, with 116mm of rear travel.
    Give it a 74 degree seat angle (Rather than 72.8) and 18.1" of reach (rather than 16.6) and I'd be spoiled rotten

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xluossa View Post
    How about orbea oiz?
    Cool concept, making it able to switch between 100/120 in travel. Maybe even makes the single pivot + lockout worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Give it a 74 degree seat angle (Rather than 72.8) and 18.1" of reach (rather than 16.6) and I'd be spoiled rotten
    I'm 5'10", tested both a medium and large, and decided to go with the large. As it is, my seat rails are forward of center so the effective STA is steeper. The larger size gave me additional reach, plus I also went with wider than stock bars for to further offset the shortish reach. The bike feels roomy but doesn't feel too big.

Another difference is it's standard Boost 148 so you can re-use another Boost wheelset.

Good luck with your search. The nice thing is there are a lot of really good bikes out there to choose from.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    driven916---note wider bars actually reduce the effective reach as they pull your body forward which has the affect of reducing reach----

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I should add the Giant also comes as Frame Only so you can build it how you want.
    For the last year I've been looking for a sleek xc/trail 29er. The Pivot was high on my list as I really dig the brand. They are well made and have top notch customer support. But the lack of a frame only, for a guy who has a ton of spare parts to build with, is a deal breaker - really a bad move by Pivot.

So, when the Giant Trance 29er came out, it had all of what I wanted, and could be had as a frame only,,,, and the cost of a full carbon frame only from Giant is a lot less than most other brands.

Just picked up my Trance 29er frame yesterday. Looking forward to building it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    For the last year I've been looking for a sleek xc/trail 29er. The Pivot was high on my list as I really dig the brand. They are well made and have top notch customer support. But the lack of a frame only, for a guy who has a ton of spare parts to build with, is a deal breaker - really a bad move by Pivot.

So, when the Giant Trance 29er came out, it had all of what I wanted, and could be had as a frame only,,,, and the cost of a full carbon frame only from Giant is a lot less than most other brands.

Just picked up my Trance 29er frame yesterday. Looking forward to building it up.
    I'd be interested to read your thoughts. I got a wild hair and I'm thinking of trying a Fezzari Signal Peak in the spring.
    $1999 for carbon frame and $2599 with Factory 34 SC. Sort of like a Sniper just not as 'modern' a geo which is fine by me.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm looking at this for my first mountain bike.

So quick question: What does the dpx2 upgrade get me?

What is the use case? What type of rider would want one or what riding conditions would make it beneficial?

-Tim-

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
    I'm looking at this for my first mountain bike.

So quick question: What does the dpx2 upgrade get me?

What is the use case? What type of rider would want one or what riding conditions would make it beneficial?

-Tim-

Before the vast majority of riders can notice significant "on the trail" differences between two such shocks they'd need to have many years of riding under their belt, and be pushing their suspension/bikes to the limit.

Most riders, even those who've ridden a lot, rarely use their suspension to its fullest, or even know how to set it up properly.
    Last edited by Miker J; 11-02-2018 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks. Let me rephrase.

Why would an experienced, expert rider who knows how to set up equipment go with the DPX2 over the stock part?

-Tim-

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
    Thanks. Let me rephrase.

Why would an experienced, expert rider who knows how to set up equipment go with the DPX2 over the stock part?

-Tim-
    The added reservoir is supposed to help manage the oil from heating up better, which in turn provides better, smoother performance especially during long stretches of use like a long downhill. Thatís the idea at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks. That makes sense.

-Tim-

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    driven916---note wider bars actually reduce the effective reach as they pull your body forward which has the affect of reducing reach----
    Interesting. I was think thinking of terms of a rider's relative stretch with hips remaining centered above the bottom bracket when standing. Yes, the upper body will tilt more forward into a more aggressive riding position, but the net effect seems that the upper body is slightly more stretched out. Hence, a increase in effective reach. Maybe I don't understand effective reach is. Would you please elaborate? Not trying to be combative or anything, just trying to understand what your're saying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am only stating what has been the norm on these forums for a few years---wide bars reduce effective reach----makes sense as they pull your body forward----others chime in---also just looking for truth but this seems correct

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Fairly sure wider bars increase effective reach. Basically you would need longer arms to reach the grips, hence longer reach. At least thats how i look at it. Another way to think about it is if you feel cramped, move your hands out and you have to bend over more, just like having a longer top tube.

mtbr member
    How can wider bars reduce reach?
    Like longer stem?

Reach isn't related to neither bars or stem lenght, but to distance between vertical line from the center of bb to the center of head tube.

What can reduce effective top tube length thereby reducing "effective" reach are few things:

- seat tube angle, while STA is all the rage now, very steep STA tubes (that are more upright so they don't become extremely slack as you increase saddle height) will place your body more in the center of the bike and compared to more traditional STA for most people who have their saddle above the bar height, it will reduce effective top tube lenght. That's why most modern bikes with steep STA have longer top tubes.

- head tube angle, less of a factor than STA, but slack head tube and few spacers under the stem are going to bring the bars closer than on the bike with a steeper HTA.

There's also combination of both and some people running way too short stems on some frames, but reach is fixed number which isn't influenced by neither of these factors.

Effective and real world reach or "roominess" of the cockpit can be changed by different bars, saddle position, bar height, stem etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I've never ridden a Giant, so can't compare it to DW (which I like) but take a look at the Trance Advanced Pro 29 130F/113R
    $5200 gets you Eagle GX with carbon wheel and Fox suspension
    $8700 gets you Eagle XO1 with carbon wheels and DVO suspension.

The reviews have been favorable.
    I don't want to fill the Pivot forum with Giant post, but I do agree with TwoTone, for the money Giants are hard to beat.

I was super keen on a 429 Trail but the price and weight has put me off........ for now

Think I'll be buying the Giant Trance 29 advanced 1 (when they go on sale)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Tech View Post
    I don't want to fill the Pivot forum with Giant post, but I do agree with TwoTone, for the money Giants are hard to beat.

I was super keen on a 429 Trail but the price and weight has put me off........ for now

Agreed. Test rode one last week, very nice bike. Climbed better than the trail 429 with 4 less lbs weight. Descended well. Didn't turn quite as well as trail 429, but have to make concessions somewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Agreed. Test rode one last week, very nice bike. Climbed better than the trail 429 with 4 less lbs weight. Descended well. Didn't turn quite as well as trail 429, but have to make concessions somewhere.
    the giant climbed better? thats high praise!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Tech View Post

HI-JACK: In the same class, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than what Spot has going on with the Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    the giant climbed better? thats high praise!
    Indeed it is! The suspension action and weight on the front end is very similar. the 4 lbs weight differential is what I mean when I say it climbs better. On a race like downieville (3k climb over first 8 miles) that makes a big difference.

I prefer the geometry on the Trail. . . ugg.

mtbr member
    Damn! What do you guys weigh that 4 pounds is that big of a deal?

Well, I guess it makes sense if you are racing

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had an anthem for 3yrs. I think the DW link is superior in climbing.

It's the extra weight of the pivot that is noticeable!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bakergeoff View Post
    I had an anthem for 3yrs. I think the DW link is superior in climbing.

It's the extra weight of the pivot that is noticeable!

I think you are right, however, I have noticed some significant differences in the two systems as they have been perfected over time. The Trance 115 maestro is significantly more developed than the older version.

I've noticed the same on my 2010 Mach 4, compared to the Trail 429 my 2010 is outmatched.

Certainly the 2019 Trance bested my 2010 Mach 4. The Trail 429 DW was a bit more active on the climb than the Trance Maestro, so better bump absorption at slow speeds up hill. It probably comes down to shock setup and riding style to a degree, but I did notice the change from "Open" to "Medium" on the DW a bit more. . . ya splitting hairs here.

All else equal I would choose the DW as well. Point is that this isn't your grandmothers maestro... and yes that cursed extra weight!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDon View Post
    Damn! What do you guys weigh that 4 pounds is that big of a deal?

Well, I guess it makes sense if you are racing
    Why pay more for more weight? Seriously as I said I love DW link, but they over built the Trail- its 120mm frame built like a DH frame. If weight isn't a big deal then why not look a a Knolly Fugitive?
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks zeek! Could be set up, mines nearly bob free on full open with my dpx2. That weight though.... Going downhill is a joy though

Really enjoying it.

I agree though, you can get a faster giant, particularly if you add the sum of parts. My friends my19 off the shelf trance with fox 36 weighs less than my custom 429 trail

mtbr member
    So If I read your post correctly, the only MY19 Trance with a fox 36 is the 27.5 version, not the 29 like the trail 429. So apples to oranges, if you feel the 27.5 bike is faster than the 29 you should probably sell yours and buy one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Phenomenal bike!

- Previous was a 429SL that was excellent as well, huge difference in application and capability.
    - Home trails are DFW - very "XC" flat and basic, but ride in Angelfire and various CO areas, handles it all great, mostly blues and some blacks at parks no problem.
    - Reach is awesome, and short chain stay feels great for sharp turns in berms and very responsive.
    -Weight is a non issue, as it really is in most cases of any bike, IMO.
    -It pedals great, as expected from any Pivot. *The one difference I noticed between the pedaling of the Trail 429, and this can probably be explained by the anti-rise/squat curves, is the T429 sort of stayed planted, i.e. no squat, but no rise either, which was different at first, vs the 429sl. I actually like these characteristics of the T429 better that the 429sl as that was the first bike I noticed it would seem to rise a little and then settle when climbing steep - not a negative in my opinion on the 429sl but it was interesting to notice.

What settings are being used by everyone for comp/rebound if using Fox?

5'/11" - 195 pounds. Fork- 75 psi / 8 comp / 7 rebound, Shock 215 / open / rebound 7

mtbr member
    Why pay more for more weight? Seriously as I said I love DW link, but they over built the Trail- its 120mm frame built like a DH frame. If weight isn't a big deal then why not look a a Knolly Fugitive?
    If weight is at the top of your list of what you want in a bike then go for it.

For me I weigh 220 pounds geared up and I prefer a beefy frame and components.

I have broken many components in my time riding and I prefer to run a more burly setup.

If I were racing XC or enduro I might consider weight but still would not be at the top of my list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've test ridden a bevy of bikes in the last month or two and the Trail 429 is near the top of the list, but I can't get over the weight to suspension travel ratio, even though I love the geometry and DW.

The Problem
    With the Trail 429 at $10k you get just sub 30 lbs and 130/120 travel. Compare that to the Yeti SB100 where for 8k you get 26 lbs and 120/100. Is the extra 20mm in back worth 2k and 4 lbs? Or, compare to a Pivot SwitchBlade at 10k you get sub 30 lbs 160/135.

If you are only looking at riding with friends it might, might make sense, if you don't mind the $ and feeling a little less than responsive up hill. If you enter the occasional race then the Trail starts to make even less sense.

Trail Bike
    A trail bike ascends as well as it descends right? Yes, the trail 429 did fine on some 5' drops, but it also had a significant negative impact on my climbing effort and time due to weight. There is a pretty sound case for the SB100 (which was also fine on a 5' drop) being a better climber at 4 lbs lighter.

If I am buying a bike for heavy riding I can get a SB and achieve roughly equivalent climbing by setting the rear shock dampening. On an SB the descent is significantly more comfortable than on the trail 429.

Why so heavy?
    Super boost is one reason for the weight issue. I like the rigidity, but not enough to pay 2-3 lbs for it. If I were a Clydesdale, maybe. Also, on a 10k bike I expect high modulus carbon. This frame is not high end carbon.

My use
    I live in Wyoming, ride Colorado trails a lot and try to make it to Downiville in CA for the point to point race. That race starts with a 4k climb. 20 mm in back just isn't worth 4 lbs there. I'd be better off to pay those 4lbs to a SwitchBlade and bomb the 21 miles of down hill.

In reality my best opportunity to save time and energy is the uphil, so I am left with the SB100. . . unless Pivot can come up with a better offering by spring (trail 429 geometry on a mach 429 sl with an additional 10-15 mm in back?). I was ready to plop down my 10k for a blingy trail 429 till I rode it up steep trails.

What I want
    • Trail 429 geometry
    • 26 lbs at $8k
    • 110 - 115 rear travel
    Check out the Scalpel SE.

change is good
    Sep 2004

I have broken many components in my time riding and I prefer to run a more burly setup.

If I were racing XC or enduro I might consider weight but still would not be at the top of my list.
    I feel the same way. I worry about breaking my 429T and I feel I would not have that nagging worry with the T429.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I weigh 210 before gear, never came close to breaking my TBc. If you're worried about breaking a 120mm frame, maybe you should be on a different frame for what you're riding.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I weigh 210 before gear, never came close to breaking my TBc. If you're worried about breaking a 120mm frame, maybe you should be on a different frame for what you're riding.
    I broke my TBc frame x 2 and others in the Midwest. Hardly Appalachia or the mountain west. Iím not hard core. Some like a stout short travel frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456