Pivot Trail 429 - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pivot Trail 429

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Scathing - brutal takedown of new 429
    https://youtu.be/SAqXaXAR0ms

Look how this guy really turns the handlebars in these easy turns! I mean, c'mon man lean this bike over already and trust your tires and balancing
    Yeti SB4.5c
    Pivot Mach 5.5
    CCM Ice Hockey Skates

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jalea View Post
    ^Not sure what this means ?
    It means that ALL Pivot bikes are getting updates... if you count the availability of 1x12 Shimano bikes as updates.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Ride View Post
    It means that ALL Pivot bikes are getting updates... if you count the availability of 1x12 Shimano bikes as updates.
    Thank you for understanding my sense of humor...
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Look how this guy really turns the handlebars in these easy turns! I mean, c'mon man lean this bike over already and trust your tires and balancing
    Seems like it would only be "scathing" if the dude could ride.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Haha! Best comment ever.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Perfect response. Dude was gettin' his full 'enduro-bro' on and seemed to be making a point of twitchiness b/c the head angle is sooooo steep compared to bikes he likes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does pivot drop prices when I new release is close ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    When the T429 came out some online distributors had the usual old model discounts--but there was very low inventory as they managed this release very well.

What new release are you hoping for ? The changes I relayed on the T429 are just build kit on the shimano models in late summer----not a new release. Note they have running build kit updates on a regular basis----for example 2019 to 2020 forks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    You definitely have to take the comments with a grain of salt.

Putting the riders opinions aside and listening only to the handling characteristics I'd like to know what the sag of the fork was set at. The comments lead me to believe the fork had too low of air pressure.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MNSnoPro View Post
    You definitely have to take the comments with a grain of salt.

Putting the riders opinions aside and listening only to the handling characteristics I'd like to know what the sag of the fork was set at. The comments lead me to believe the fork had too low of air pressure.
    My gut is that he had the pressure in the shock too high, and the fork too low. He looked like he was getting bucked around a ton.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    He seemed to have an axe to grind imo

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    He seemed to have an axe to grind imo

I had the same initial reaction as this guy when first trying a demo I rode the way the shop had it set up. After a downhill that chattered my teeth and barely able to hold on to the handle bar I checked air pressures. 35 plus lbs in the front tire, way too much air in the fork, but hey the rear shock sag was set correctly at least. A few adjustments and life was as it should be.
    I'm not saying I'd buy the bike again because I probably wouldn't but it's far from twitchy if it's set up even halfway right and you aren't expecting 160mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by semi75 View Post
    I had the same initial reaction as this guy when first trying a demo I rode the way the shop had it set up. After a downhill that chattered my teeth and barely able to hold on to the handle bar I checked air pressures. 35 plus lbs in the front tire, way too much air in the fork, but hey the rear shock sag was set correctly at least. A few adjustments and life was as it should be.
    I'm not saying I'd buy the bike again because I probably wouldn't but it's far from twitchy if it's set up even halfway right and you aren't expecting 160mm of travel.
    You donít love it eh ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    My gut is that he had the pressure in the shock too high, and the fork too low. He looked like he was getting bucked around a ton.
    Agreed... Everything he was describing pointed exactly to that.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    It's baffling to me that simply because someone makes a Youtube video, we now give their opinion credence. Comparable bikes from manufacturers like Pivot, Yeti, Santa Cruz, etc. are so good and so close on geometry that it's a red flag to me anytime someone has such strong opinions, good or bad, during or following a single, or even a few, ride(s).

Obviously if you're coming off a worn, several-year-old bike and get on something cutting edge that's perfectly setup, you're gonna be floored. But otherwise we're talking about subtle differences where fit, riding style, local terrain, value, are the areas that give an edge to one bike over another.

I can only speak for myself, but for me, Pivot edges out the others on suspension performance on my local terrain - which comes as no surprise as where they're primarily designed and tested (Arizona) is very similar. And I'll add that I think high-performing bikes on desert/SW terrain ALSO perform very well in other areas, but I haven't found the opposite to be true. It's not so much that desert/SW terrain is the best thing ever, it just presents very unique, and sometimes opposing (rough but flat, pedally but brutal, etc.), challenges that make it a near perfect testing ground for bikes. And suspension.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    somewhat related - on Chris Cocalis' interview with BikeRumor he talks about "certain magazine editors" who are drinking the Long Low Slack koolaid a little too much in reviews.

just AFTER listening to that i'm watching the BIKE bible test on the 429 and they specifically state they ordered an EXTRA LARGE because the Large "only" had a reach of 460. as you watch these guys sitting there drinking their beer, i really don't think they're that tall...

i commiserate with Chris sometimes man. the average bike broscience going around gets my goat. e.g. this seat angle bro. its too slack bro i cant climb good. Move your seat forward?? *off elitist soapbox now*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qynvaEndFxU

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    somewhat related - on Chris Cocalis' interview with BikeRumor he talks about "certain magazine editors" who are drinking the Long Low Slack koolaid a little too much in reviews.

just AFTER listening to that i'm watching the BIKE bible test on the 429 and they specifically state they ordered an EXTRA LARGE because the Large "only" had a reach of 460. as you watch these guys sitting there drinking their beer, i really don't think they're that tall...

i commiserate with Chris sometimes man. the average bike broscience going around gets my goat. e.g. this seat angle bro. its too slack bro i cant climb good. Move your seat forward?? *off elitist soapbox now*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qynvaEndFxU
    That review puts the 429 in top 3 and 1st in climbing.

Yet very few here have professed love of the 429 as say others do the SB 130 - daily.

I also spoke someone not overly enamored with Pivot honoring a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    you're not wrong. I'd personally go ripley over T429, though i identify the Pivot has immensely more thought put into it and probably better tolerances and all that.

if T429 had a bit more travel though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I agree with Noah------within any given segment these days there are very similar great bikes. In this case among others we have the T429/Ripley/Trance---there are fairly small differences between these bikes and anyone who bashes one to me is not credible----they simply are too close in geo and build kits.

I feel it comes down to which feels the best after having ridden the bikes you are considering.

In my case I felt the T429 was best for me but those others are as good as bikes--for another person perhaps with differing skills or riding different terrain---but i may go up a segment in travel to 130 and see if the new SC HT and Trek Fuel would be better options--but if I do that does not diminish the T429 in the 120 segment.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

To be fair, there is something to be said for choosing sizing based on reach as much as any other measurement. I ride a XL T429 and I'm only 6'1". The toptube is pretty low, so it probably won't be a consideration if you're deciding between L and XL, and I can still use a 170mm dropper. Up-forking to 140mm takes some off the reach too.

But I agree about the HA and STA bro science.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    for sure. there's a place for diff reaches for a given stature based on what you're looking to accomplish. same as in BMX.

but it's taken as gospel that the longer the bike, the faster you'll go, when in reality, many pros are far more conservative than their benefactors like to market.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    but it's taken as gospel that the longer the bike, the faster you'll go, when in reality, many pros are far more conservative than their benefactors like to market.
    Correct. See also: fork offset.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Demo Ride 2019 Pivot Trail 429 XTR 29

I got to ride the new Trail 429 with 29 wheels ...

Name:  Pivot-Trail429-XTR-2019-400.png
Views: 843
Size:  283.9 KB

Here is a video on YouTube of my demo ride and review:

https://youtu.be/xT9mA88K2_M

Cool bike.

Very planted.

Of all the bikes I demoed (16 total), the Trail 429 felt the most SOLID (almost hard) ... I felt very confident with the bike under me.

Little difficult to describe the feeling, but felt: solid, stiff, supportive, confident.

Climbed very well. As to be expected with DW Link, including a steep section many people walk.

Downhill, like the agressive geo. Handled speed and small drops (6-12 inches).

Comparion to other bikes ...

Traction: Trail 429 tracked/gripped in climbing as well as Yeti SB100 and Ibis Ripley.

Tight Turns (up and down): SB100 had tightest turning radius. Noticable difference. Yet Trail 429 did make turns, just need about a foot more space (Ripley same issue).

Downhill (straight - flow with small drops): Trail 429 felt more confident than SB100, but less than Ripley. Trail 429 felt solid (more plow) campared to Ripley that felt more poppy.

If you are in this category, definitely demo a Trail 429.

Most bikes today are super capable. Difference is in personal "feel" ... that hard thing to describe.

If it helps, I did a video about how I demoed 16 bikes for $105 total (many demos for free) and HOW I did it here:

https://youtu.be/T_hpTAe5jPI

Hope all this helps. This forum has helped me a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    T429 was eating up roots and rocks today. Wide rim & tires were oh so nice. I like big tires and I canít deny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    T429 was eating up roots and rocks today. Wide rim & tires were oh so nice. I like big tires and I canít deny!

Cool picture. Looks like a great ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I want all the bikes
    429 130 Ripley Fatback Salsa journeymen Stigmata Hightower

Wife said sheíll get back to me ... fingers crossed

I am Walt
    What does this frame weigh, and what are your full builds coming in at?

Are we talking a 6-6.5 lb frame, and 27-28 lb builds, or can these be built to 25-ish lbs without going full weight-weenie nuts?

TIA!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Are we talking a 6-6.5 lb frame, and 27-28 lb builds, or can these be built to 25-ish lbs without going full weight-weenie nuts?

TIA!

I havenít weighed mine yet and I doubt that I will. My XL XTR build with wide carbon rims is probably 28-29lbs. It rides fantastic up and down and in between. Certainly not a full on XC race bike, but I can go pretty darn fast with this solid machine.

To get close to 25lbs on the TRAIL429, Iím guessing you would indeed have to go full on weight weenie. If thatís your objective, youíd be better off on the new SL

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    this small ripley is 26.5 with a pike, bell, and cage. XTR build with 'trail' parts basically. 440gram carbon rims w/ aerocomp spokes. add a 1.25 pounds to that for a large t429 frame?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Trail 429-ripley.jpg  

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    27.46 lbs for my bike as pictured. I built my own wheels, but there's nothing too crazy in terms of weight savings.
    Pivot Trail 429-img_7202.jpg
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I havenít weighed mine yet and I doubt that I will. My XL XTR build with wide carbon rims is probably 28-29lbs. It rides fantastic up and down and in between. Certainly not a full on XC race bike, but I can go pretty darn fast with this solid machine.

To get close to 25lbs on the TRAIL429, Iím guessing you would indeed have to go full on weight weenie. If thatís your objective, youíd be better off on the new SL

Rideon: what is your height/in-seam? I think I'm stuck between sizes (l and xl) and not sure which direction to go....thanks
    2015 giant glory
    2015 rocky mountain thunderbolt msl 770
    2017 motobecane nighttrain express

mtbr member

My very last go to for reviews or any information is YouTube.

Who is this guy?

Again, ride what you like, not what some anonymous guy on YouTube or anything you read here for that matter.

After riding T429 I decided Switchblade for me. A friend of mine rode Switchblade and decided T429 was to his liking.

Bottom line: stop using other riders opinions to form your own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDon View Post
    My very last go to for reviews or any information is YouTube.

Who is this guy?

Again, ride what you like, not what some anonymous guy on YouTube or anything you read here for that matter.

After riding T429 I decided Switchblade for me. A friend of mine rode Switchblade and decided T429 was to his liking.

Bottom line: stop using other riders opinions to form your own.
    So when you can't demo any of them what are you left with?

Just a reminder to those of you who are fortunate enough to live somewhere that has plenty of demos available to you- MOST of us don't.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

Just a reminder to those of you who are fortunate enough to live somewhere that has plenty of demos available to you- MOST of us don't.
    Buy one you can ride before. Iíve driven 3 hours to ride before I buy but probably wouldnít go any further. When you are looking at a 5k plus investment its a good rule but itís your money. Pivot isnít exactly the most consumer friendly company and want everything going through a dealer when there is an issue. If your closest dealer refuses a demo ride or there are no demo days close by do you really want to part w your money on a maybe? Itís an individual choice and your money though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pivot Trail 429

Quote Originally Posted by oobaa47 View Post
    Rideon: what is your height/in-seam? I think I'm stuck between sizes (l and xl) and not sure which direction to go....thanks
    6í 2Ē 33-34. Big ape index. Very long arms. Almost always go XL and usually have to pitch the stock bar and stem for something with a higher rise(40) and longer reach.

Due to this bikeís lower standover and shrunken down headtube, I do think it could allow riders to go up in size, shorter stem and be absolutely fine. Plus 480 reach on an XL isnít exactly in the long category, when Transition, New Ibis Ripley, Evil Offering all have XL reaches of 500. But thatís just one geo number. In totality, I find this bike absolutely rips

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    How much extra do you recon the Shimano XT 12 will add to the price?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Price---I would not expect much of a price change from Shimano----but Trump's tariffs are a wild card----if they go to 25% who know how much is passed to us ---are the frames made in China ? Are Shimano parts made in China ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Price---I would not expect much of a price change from Shimano----but Trump's tariffs are a wild card----if they go to 25% who know how much is passed to us ---are the frames made in China ? Are Shimano parts made in China ?
    Trump is doing the right thing - long overdue

mtbr member
    I test rode the 429 for a day and half recently (At Kingdom Trails VT); amazing bike, but, coming from a Santa Cruz 5010, was missing that bike's 'playfulness', which I would define for me as a bike that's easy to throw around, get off the ground on small trail features, push into then pop out of its suspension. The 429 is a different kind of fun: planted, fast, rails corners, climbs well, stiff and tracks well going downhill ..... ideally with the wheels staying glued to the trail. Handles drops fine I think, but I had to think/do more to get back on bike and front wheel up and out, had a harder time getting the front wheel up and out... can definitely allow that I just need to adjust how I ride more than I was able to in 1.5 days

Also felt a bit harsh.

Wondering what folks think, am I just barking up the wrong tree on the playfulness front? Can I work with shock adjustments to get more pop? would 140 fork or different bars stem help with being able to get front end up more easily?

Place I demo'd from also had Giant Trance 29, he was thinking that might be a better option for me. I also plan on demoing Ibis Ripley in cpl weeks.

Appreciate any helpful thoughts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    subjectively, you're not wrong. Pivots are somewhat clinical. For a related but different flavor, take the time with the Ripley demo; could be a winner for you. Failing that, maybe even check out an Evil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman012 View Post
    I test rode the 429 for a day and half recently (At Kingdom Trails VT); amazing bike, but, coming from a Santa Cruz 5010, was missing that bike's 'playfulness', which I would define for me as a bike that's easy to throw around, get off the ground on small trail features, push into then pop out of its suspension. The 429 is a different kind of fun: planted, fast, rails corners, climbs well, stiff and tracks well going downhill ..... ideally with the wheels staying glued to the trail. Handles drops fine I think, but I had to think/do more to get back on bike and front wheel up and out, had a harder time getting the front wheel up and out... can definitely allow that I just need to adjust how I ride more than I was able to in 1.5 days

Also felt a bit harsh.

Wondering what folks think, am I just barking up the wrong tree on the playfulness front? Can I work with shock adjustments to get more pop? would 140 fork or different bars stem help with being able to get front end up more easily?

Place I demo'd from also had Giant Trance 29, he was thinking that might be a better option for me. I also plan on demoing Ibis Ripley in cpl weeks.

SB 100 or even the new Blur ? Or a SB 4.5 sounds what youíre looking for ...

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Trump is doing the right thing - long overdue

PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Triggered ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Triggered ?

I'm new here, but would hope we could avoid the politics bullshit, veiled digs, and dog whistles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Clyde you are overly optimistic--this is the internet after all---but yes lets avoid politics----the question was the affect on price of shimano 12 speed----and I said the tariffs are a wild card as we do not know and asked where shimano parts were made----no reference to an opinion on the good or bad of tariffs either way but a regular poster could not help himself I guess

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    ^this. even tesla is affected. go to bicycleretailer.com and there's alot of coverage of tariffs. it's unfortunately relevant, although, hopefully it does spur domestic development. e.g. i sincerely hope HIA velo gets some private label contracts for frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Test road a Pivot 429 Trail this am - finally found a dealer w an XL ...

Super impressed - bike is STIFF - heavy Jersey rock garden chunk ... I did 90 minutes for free - not bad ó bike is burly ... like me - for a ď trail ď It feels well made and big... but not heavy. It is fast - unlike me - Iím a guy who loves the adventure of MTB riding - the grind - I like 4 hours on a bike and 4 hours the next day ... I actually found myself breaking more than usual - speed downhill imo is an accident waiting to happen .

Damn my opinion of Pivot changed immediately.

I can get it for a ridiculous price too ...

New Hightower on the way in back of my head and I can get a 130 same price ... decisions ... maybe Iíll buy 2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

Where do you live that there is absolutely no way to make it to a demo?

Siberia?

I would drive for hours before spending 5k or more.

Hey I don't care, use some random dudes opinion to form your own, sounds like a solid plan to me (sarcasm)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Funny what we may do to demo----I am very interested in the Arktos ST but no demo in NORCAL---my wife suggested we fly to Denver for a 4 day vacation so I can do this----personally I had not considered this but it is a super idea-----few days in Colorado----ride a new trail system--do some hiking---what a great idea especially since we need to get out of here for a few days anyhow--I realize I am blessed with not working and having the means and not everyone does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Funny what we may do to demo----I am very interested in the Arktos ST but no demo in NORCAL---my wife suggested we fly to Denver for a 4 day vacation so I can do this----personally I had not considered this but it is a super idea-----few days in Colorado----ride a new trail system--do some hiking---what a great idea especially since we need to get out of here for a few days anyhow--I realize I am blessed with not working and having the means and not everyone does.
    Donít bullshat us - youíre going for the legal weed...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Donít bullshat us - youíre going for the legal weed...

Plenty of that already in NorCal, itís just us bass akwarkds bourbon loving east coast states.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pivot Trail 429

Quote Originally Posted by sandman012 View Post

Also felt a bit harsh.

I think that front wheel maneuverability or lack there of can be a result of riding a demo setup and not YOUR setup. IMHO bike companies could do a better job with this at demos. Itís not really that difficult to move some spacers around or maybe even a stem. Iíve had this exact experience countless times. Itís a rare situation that I feel dialed on a demo bike. What I have to do while demoing a bike is say, ďif I put MY riser bar and MY stem on this bike, will it work for me. Is everything else about the bike to my liking.Ē

The other thing is simply the 27.5 vs 29 thing. Are the advantages of the 29er enough to overcome the disadvantages of the 29er? Only you can answer that question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    On a demo I ALWAYS bring a shock pump so I can adjust the suspension---expecting the demo guy to get it right (almost always to stiff for me ) for your style or riding is kooky---take control of the demo---I also take another stem and swap it in if I think that is more what I need-or play with the spacers--I just did all this with a full day Ripley demo-----I just feel it pays to maximize the demo as the time is limited as it is but it is what most folks need to work with.

You had plenty of time to make all these adjustments which would have been helpful for your analysis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Why would I go for legal weed when the black market in NORCAL is 50% off and we have legal weed albeit expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think that front wheel maneuverability or lack there of can be a result of riding a demo setup and not YOUR setup. IMHO bike companies could do a better job with this at demos. Itís not really that difficult to move some spacers around or maybe even a stem. Iíve had this exact experience countless times. Itís a rare situation that I feel dialed on a demo bike. What I have to do while demoing a bike is say, ďif I put MY riser bar and MY stem on this bike, will it work for me. Is everything else about the bike to my liking.Ē

The other thing is simply the 27.5 vs 29 thing. Are the advantages of the 29er enough to overcome the disadvantages of the 29er? Only you can answer that question.

If youíre over 6 foot what disadvantages would a 29 have ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On a demo I ALWAYS bring a shock pump so I can adjust the suspension---expecting the demo guy to get it right (almost always to stiff for me ) for your style or riding is kooky---take control of the demo---I also take another stem and swap it in if I think that is more what I need-or play with the spacers--I just did all this with a full day Ripley demo-----I just feel it pays to maximize the demo as the time is limited as it is but it is what most folks need to work with.

You had plenty of time to make all these adjustments which would have been helpful for your analysis.
    All good points. Maximize the demo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Disappointing

ď Small quality checks can be done in Phoenix, but usually they are done in a laboratory in California. The in-house machines are often enough to create the frame completely in small runs. The standard production is located in Taiwan. The welding machines are manufactured in the US and shipped to Taiwan.Oct 30, 2014 ď

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smaller wheels spin up faster, make tighter radiusís like some old school switchbacks easier, and Iím told handle jumps and get big air better, but new school 29erís have definitely closed the gap. For me and the riding I do, the advantages of 29ers like better roll over, traction and momentum trump anything a smaller wheeled bike would give you. No secrets there.

mtbr member

I did bring a shock pump, but did not think to bring various sizes of stems bars and additional spacers.

mtbr member
    Disappointing

ď Small quality checks can be done in Phoenix, but usually they are done in a laboratory in California. The in-house machines are often enough to create the frame completely in small runs. The standard production is located in Taiwan. The welding machines are manufactured in the US and shipped to Taiwan.Oct 30, 2014 ď

If you want to spend even more on a bike that already costs 5-10k, and there is a market for it, I say great make the bikes in the USA.

But I do not think they would sell, pivot is already one of if not the most expensive bikes out there.

It is no secret manufacturing is most competitive in China and not the USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDon View Post
    Where do you live that there is absolutely no way to make it to a demo?

Siberia?

I would drive for hours before spending 5k or more.

Hey I don't care, use some random dudes opinion to form your own, sounds like a solid plan to me (sarcasm)
    I've thought about this a bit when frame shopping. I decided it would be substantially cheaper to buy the frame and flip it if it doesn't work out. That's definitely less out-of-pocket cost than taking a trip for the sole purpose of demoing a bike.

The math changes if we're talking about a complete bike, or working a demo into a fun vacation.

mtbr member

The physics of a moving 29 vs. 27.5 wheel don't change with rider height. There's way more to it than frame standover and toe overlap.

Disappointing

Uhhh, welcome to the world economy of the 21st Century?

Also, keep yer politics off MTBR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    I've thought about this a bit when frame shopping. I decided it would be substantially cheaper to buy the frame and flip it if it doesn't work out. That's definitely less out-of-pocket cost than taking a trip for the sole purpose of demoing a bike.

The math changes if we're talking about a complete bike, or working a demo into a fun vacation.
    That works pretty well unless you are buying a Pivot with 157íspacing. You will need new hubs or wheels and a new crankset in addition to the frame to make that work. Thatís especially true considering the absorbent price Pivot wants for their 429 frame and cranks. That frame set set is barely cheaper than their cheapest Shimano full build.

mtbr member

Pivot Trail 429

Quote Originally Posted by semi75 View Post
    That works pretty well unless you are buying a Pivot with 157íspacing. You will need new hubs or wheels and a new crankset in addition to the frame to make that work. Thatís especially true considering the absorbent price Pivot wants for their 429 frame and cranks. That frame set set is barely cheaper than their cheapest Shimano full build.

Youíre right. Good point. Iíd pretty much forgotten about the super boost aspect, combined with no frame availability, followed by the exorbitantly-priced frame-set nonsense. Iíd have bought both a Switchblade and a Trail 429 but for Super Mario Boost. Ended up on Ibis instead both times.

Pivot definitely lost a chunk of enthusiast sales with that fiasco. Hopefully theyíve moved on to a better plan with future bikes.

The Mach 4 SL looks great. Thatíll likely be my next bike if the test ride goes well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'd say none of us really know anything about Pivot's sales numbers. And I like my Switchblade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'd say none of us really know anything about Pivot's sales numbers. And I like my Switchblade.
    They donít have a lot of dealers

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    Youíre right. Good point. Iíd pretty much forgotten about the super boost aspect, combined with no frame availability, followed by the exorbitantly-priced frame-set nonsense. Iíd have bought both a Switchblade and a Trail 429 but for Super Mario Boost. Ended up on Ibis instead both times.

Pivot definitely lost a chunk of enthusiast sales with that fiasco. Hopefully theyíve moved on to a better plan with future bikes.

The Mach 4 SL looks great. Thatíll likely be my next bike if the test ride goes well.
    it's not Cocalis' fault that consumers have standard fatigue NOR that most don't ride their bikes hard enough and/or are perceptive enough to see the value in 157 spacing. it's not a fiasco, it's progress. you like progress don't you?

listen to the cocalis bike rumor interview and blame Trek for 148. THAT is the fiasco. along with alot of the other non-sense they peddle (heh).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    it's not Cocalis' fault that consumers have standard fatigue NOR that most don't ride their bikes hard enough and/or are perceptive enough to see the value in 157 spacing. it's not a fiasco, it's progress. you like progress don't you?

listen to the cocalis bike rumor interview and blame Trek for 148. THAT is the fiasco. along with alot of the other non-sense they peddle (heh).
    Bullshit, I had a Lenz Lunchbox. You don't need 157 on a 120mm bike. 148 actually had a good reason behind it, just no one stuck to it.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    with a DH157 hub or a SB157 hub? flange distances are different.

the good reason behind 148 is to have one more incremental std to force an upgrade. planned obsolescence makes the industry $$.

mtbr member
    I really like the Switchblade and would have been happy to own one. But, I didnít like it enough to buy a complete bike, strip off a bunch of parts, and then buy new parts to build the bike I want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sigh really---we are going to start this 157 rant again--I thought this had been beat to a pulp long ago.

mtbr member

I do like progress, but Double Mega Boostilicious is not objective progress.

Even if you assume it is progress, Cocalis still screwed up because he has to operate in a marketplace with many other companies he doesnít control.

He also could have trusted his customers enough to get the right parts for a frame up build. He chose not to do so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Sigh really---we are going to start this 157 rant again--I thought this had been beat to a pulp long ago.
    Apparently there is more beating to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What exactly is the big deal about 157 spacing v 148 besides nobody else uses it - I got that part ...

Doesnít it make the ride firmer ?

Elitest thrill junkie
    What exactly is the big deal about 157 spacing v 148 besides nobody else uses it - I got that part ...

It allows "plus" size tires, or better put, it makes it easier to incorporate them with less compromises. The catch 22 is that it increases weight some (frame members, axle lengths, etc.) and for real aggressive riding, such as elite marathon racing, bigger tires are inherently slower. So while the old non-SB 429 trail made a reasonable choice for some of us that might want a "bit" more than 100mm, but something that could still be built light and raced, either on shorter races a bit less competitively or on longer "marathon" type races (75+ miles), the new one kind of eliminates that purpose by being significantly heavier for the same build, especially with the heavier boost hubs, etc. And of course, there's just good ole trail riding. Race bikes like the 429 Mach 4 SL/429 SL will never be the best choice for that IME.

Now, it's a little far fetched to say a bit heavier makes it "un-race-able", but there is a fairly big market for the 120mm "marathon" type bike, like the Epic Evo, and at the highest levels of racing, weight does matter, so at the higher levels, the SB Trail 429 isn't competitive against the market, again, for those seeking a non-plus tire marathon/trail bike. Unless you specifically want "plus" sized tires, I think there are significantly better bikes in the same travel-category. SB makes it more of a niche-bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006

Devinci and Knolly were among the first to adopt this standard after PIVOT. Since then a number of other brands have realized the benefits.

The main thing this provides is a stiffer stronger frame. For wheel manufacturers it allows them to make a stronger wheel as well. So, combining a stronger frame, and a stronger wheel, this will give the rider more control over the bike, and with more control comes more fun for the user...

A byproduct of the wider hub, is that the frame manufacture can also provide more tire clearance, with shorter stays. Shorter stays helps make the bike more nimble, it allows the frame manufacturer to build a bike with a longer top tube, while not making the wheel base so long that you feel you are steering a bus, vs. an agile bike that wants to turn and be flicked over jumps and obstacles. The next byproduct is that the frame can accept two wheel sizes like 29'r or 27.5+.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    May 2019
    So, I've been lurking on this thread for a few weeks now. My original intent was to purchase the Mach 4 frame kit and be on my way; however, Pivot made that unavailable with the release of the Mach 4 SL, and I did NOT want a 29". Next option was to buy the Turner Flux...which is an awesome bike and checked all the boxes for me, but I couldn't wrap my head around the terrible cable routing system. During that time, Pivot made available the Trail 429 "franks" kit. All which brings me here. So, after a labor of love, I offer up my Trail 429 for review. It's a small weighing in at 26.68 lbs as it sits complete ready to ride. This is 1.1 lbs more than my old school Specialized S-Works Stumpjumber FSR. For the 1.1 lbs, I gained 27.5 wheels, more modern geometry, and 2 inches of suspension...a fair trade I'd argue. The one thing I do have concern with is Pivots quality control...or lack there of...The "franks" kit shipped with incorrect cranks spacer kit and without a rear derailleur hanger (I've never seen a bike frame sold without a rear derailleur hanger). If this is standard by Pivot...it's a problem. Also, they need to include the 17 mm lower headset cup as this is proprietary to Pivot...BIG miss not included. They need to change this and include it. On to the good side...I got it set and and ready to ride. Will report back with first ride review.

For those who want to know about fit, I'm 5'4", 137 lbs, size small, 50 mm stem, 20 mm riser bar, 170 mm crank, fits nice with room for adjustments. I ride primarily So. Cal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Trail 429-20190615_164401.jpg  

Pivot Trail 429-20190615_164336.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rnitti1 View Post
    ... The one thing I do have concern with is Pivots quality control...or lack there of...The "franks" kit shipped with incorrect cranks spacer kit and without a rear derailleur hanger (I've never seen a bike frame sold without a rear derailleur hanger). If this is standard by Pivot...it's a problem. Also, they need to include the 17 mm lower headset cup as this is proprietary to Pivot...BIG miss not included. They need to change this and include it. On to the good side...I got it set and and ready to ride. Will report back with first ride review...
    If you were missing that stuff call Pivot and let them know. They have been incredibly responsive to any request I have made (bar plug, shock sticker, etc.). I could not be happier with their customer service.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc115 View Post
    If you were missing that stuff call Pivot and let them know. They have been incredibly responsive to any request I have made (bar plug, shock sticker, etc.). I could not be happier with their customer service.
    2nd that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Good to know. I've not yet spoken with them directly, yet. My LBS was the in between, but I did want to make Pivot aware...not in a jerk way, but in a way so another customer won't have to go through the same things.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Good to know. I've not yet spoken with them directly, yet. My LBS was the in between, but I did want to make Pivot aware...not in a jerk way, but in a way so another customer won't have to go through the same things.
    The amazing thing here is why didn't the shop have an RD Hanger in stock???

We screwed up, we have checks and balances that check for missing small parts. But, as you noticed, mistakes happen. It's a tiny part, but a very crucial part nonetheless! The inside sales guy is aware of what happened, and I believe a replacement RD hanger was sent to the shop.

This wouldn't be as big an issue had the bike shop stocked replacement RD hangers. Heck, you the customer may not have even known had the shop stocked small parts like this...

I do hope you love the bike! Sorry for the initial drama with the missing RD hanger.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    May 2019

We screwed up, we have checks and balances that check for missing small parts. But, as you noticed, mistakes happen. It's a tiny part, but a very crucial part nonetheless! The inside sales guy is aware of what happened, and I believe a replacement RD hanger was sent to the shop.

This wouldn't be as big an issue had the bike shop stocked replacement RD hangers. Heck, you the customer may not have even known had the shop stocked small parts like this...

I do hope you love the bike! Sorry for the initial drama with the missing RD hanger.
    Thank you! I can't speak for the shop (nor will I bad mouth them...which is why I won't mention their name)...they did take care of me, but it took a few days to get everything sorted with the cup, spacers, and RD hanger. Just unfortunate circumstances. It's behind me now, and I'm really greatfull that I'm seeing good support after from Pivot and everyone else has had good support as well.

That said, the bike turned out beautifully...full custom build. Will get first ride tomorrow.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Thank you! I can't speak for the shop (nor will I bad mouth them...which is why I won't mention their name)...they did take care of me, but it took a few days to get everything sorted with the cup, spacers, and RD hanger. Just unfortunate circumstances. It's behind me now, and I'm really greatfull that I'm seeing good support after from Pivot and everyone else has had good support as well.

That said, the bike turned out beautifully...full custom build. Will get first ride tomorrow.
    Thanks for that!

Go have an awesome ride!
    Jack Handy

mtbr member

That's F'ed up to pass this onto the LBS due to Pivot's incompetence.

There could be countless reasons why the derailleur hanger is not in stock at the LBS. One being Pivot forgets to supply them with the frames.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    That's F'ed up to pass this onto the LBS due to Pivot's incompetence.

There could be countless reasons why the derailleur hanger is not in stock at the LBS. One being Pivot forgets to supply them with the frames.
    Easy now!

Did you not read where I said we screwed up? We take full ownership here. But I do find it funny that a shop doesn't just stock these small parts.

I wasn't passing blame at all OldHouseMan. It was a simple observation...
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Easy now!

Did you not read where I said we screwed up? We take full ownership here. But I do find it funny that a shop doesn't just stock these small parts.

I wasn't passing blame at all OldHouseMan. It was a simple observation...
    moot without a headset cup though.

that said, i always order extra small parts separately for a build just to have on hand later.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Okay first ride report...T429 rides completely different the the Stumpy. The stumpy kind of squats and goes, the T429 just squirts forward. I set 6 PRs on my first ride. Itís the best bike Iíve ridden to date. The geometry fits me better, too. Just a great bike. Very happy all said and done. Itís 1.1 lbs heavier than my cuerrent bike, but I couldnít feel it on the climb. Much more planted at speed down hill. Overall, fits me better and more efficient.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Triggered ?

Yes, triggered my funny bone. To me, few things are funnier than when someone confidently expresses their opinion as undisputed fact.
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    John has an Iphone and wears Nikes i'll bet.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    John has an Iphone
    Yes

and wears Nikes i'll bet.
    No

I'm a free-trade progressive. Tariffs, *in my opinion*, are short sighted and destined to fail over the long term. If someone else can do something cheaper and more efficient, let them. Invest your time/money into finding something else that allows you to be more competitive.

I also believe in respectful disagreement and good-natured conversation.

Here's to having an opinion,

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The standard of living that enables that 'efficiency' is not very progressive. Bit of an oxymoron in your self-described position. But then again, maybe not.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    The standard of living that enables that 'efficiency' is not very progressive. Bit of an oxymoron in your self-described position. But then again, maybe not.
    Is this for me? Huh?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    no not at all. the post above the one you quoted. i'm knocking off the economic talk now. i'm glad you're stoked with your bike. it's a great design.

mtbr member
    I fail to see how we're punishing China by taxing ourselves.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Yes

No

I'm a free-trade progressive. Tariffs, *in my opinion*, are short sighted and destined to fail over the long term. If someone else can do something cheaper and more efficient, let them. Invest your time/money into finding something else that allows you to be more competitive.

I also believe in respectful disagreement and good-natured conversation.

Here's to having an opinion,

JP
    So you'd be ok with eliminating the EPA correct?
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Sweet Baby Jesus I came here to see how people are liking this new awesome bike and I have to scroll thru a bunch of political pissing matches. Get out of here with that nonsense. This is a mtb forum.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoods View Post
    Sweet Baby Jesus I came here to see how people are liking this new awesome bike and I have to scroll thru a bunch of political pissing matches. Get out of here with that nonsense. This is a mtb forum.

Or bitching about superboost - buy a Ripley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back on the wagon
    Curious how many of you have ridden both the 29 inch wheels and the 27.5+ wheels. What did you like better? I see the geo changes slightly when you switch wheel sizes, did you notice any difference? Anyone run 27.5x2.6" on this? I feel like that's the goldilocks size tire, and I believe that's what comes stock on the Mach 5.5.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Iíve ridden both, but I just donít like plus at all. I feel like this bike was made to be a 29er, and plus compatibility is just a bonus.

mtbr member
    ^^^What he said^^^

And is it me or reality, My Switchblade feels much better for a Clyde rider like myself when compared to the other Pivot bikes I demoed.

If reality, is it because of the leverage points of the DW Link are different compared to the 429T and Mach 5.5?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cpobanz View Post
    Iíve ridden both, but I just donít like plus at all. I feel like this bike was made to be a 29er, and plus compatibility is just a bonus.
    29 x 2.6 is pretty great in a lot of conditions

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    It's baffling to me that simply because someone makes a Youtube video, we now give their opinion credence. Comparable bikes from manufacturers like Pivot, Yeti, Santa Cruz, etc. are so good ...

but for me, Pivot edges out the others on suspension performance on my local terrain - ...
    Great point. I bemoaned SB157 for a while, but after riding it for a few months I value it as a helpful distinguishing factor between brands. I wouldn't want it on an XC bike, but I love it on my T429.

I rode the Ripmo in Moab last year and loved, it, but this year, on the T429, I was faster and felt more stable (my style). I like the more precise steering and less travel (that's just me). Alot of that is due to the SB157.

When I get home I can switch out some components and be at 25.5 lbs for local races, good enough for me.

That is why the T429 edges out the close competition for me. little better suspension, very versatile, precise and responpsive steering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Weights and other thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    My frame is a little over 6.5 lbs in size large. I've got a spreadsheet with a workup of builds, pm me and I can email it to you, its messy.

XC build ~25.5
    With Nox Teocali (26mm carbon) rims, Schwalbe Rocket Rons (great long-lasting and light tires btw), 9point8FallLineR (not here yet), Hixon bar, Power Arc Sworks, ti xpedo pedals, Sram XX Fox DPS, and Fox 34 I will be at 25.5. Right now without Fall line, Light saddle and Hixon I am at 26.5. I may try a step cast 34 120 as well. Figure that would bet me close to 25.

Trail build - ~28.5
    DT Swiss 1700, DHF/Rock Razor, Std. Pivot bar/stem, Specialized phenom ti saddle, ti xpedo pedals, sram XX, Fox DPX, Fox 34 130.

At this point I don't feel like the bike is a hinderance in local XC races, or even against my crazy billy goat hill climbing friend. I still get some advantage on the turns and down hills too.

I would certainly go for a Mach 4 SL if I were a world cup rider, but I'm not. I finish in the top 5 or 10 in most (Advance, Cat 2) races and I have a lot more fun on the T429 than pure XC bikes.

Another thing, I like the seat angle. Steeper angles activate quads more than hams. That leads to back problems. With good Ankling my hams are activated well on the T429 and my back feels strengthened when riding, not hurt like on some other bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hello, New to this thread. Recently purchased a T429 and having some issues getting the rear suspension setup. When sagged to the recommended blue (firmer) line, sitting hard in the suspension and then moving rubber o ring up, I regularly blow through the travel and get harsh bottom outs. DPS shock. I'm 185lbs and running ~ 215 PSI. Compression lever open and in the #2 or #3 open mode adjust . Token is the stock Red which is the biggest, so no ability to add any ramp up. Has anyone had any similar experience or any suggestions to help put here? I came off of a Santa Cruz Tallboy and hadn't experienced any harsh bottoming prior. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Pivot Trail 429

Just pulled the trigger on an XT build 429 - test rode last week ...

Have a Hightower ordered - Iíll test them both and sell 1 ... or maybe keep both ... weíll see.

But I liked this better than the Ripley and Ripmo ...

Last edited by TheNatureBoy; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    you'll be happy with it. just get the shock sorted. i'd probably check out the manitou mara when it comes out. sell the hightower, there will be plenty of demand for it.

congrats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ezen1234 View Post
    Hello, New to this thread. Recently purchased a T429 and having some issues getting the rear suspension setup. When sagged to the recommended blue (firmer) line, sitting hard in the suspension and then moving rubber o ring up, I regularly blow through the travel and get harsh bottom outs. DPS shock. I'm 185lbs and running ~ 215 PSI. Compression lever open and in the #2 or #3 open mode adjust . Token is the stock Red which is the biggest, so no ability to add any ramp up. Has anyone had any similar experience or any suggestions to help put here? I came off of a Santa Cruz Tallboy and hadn't experienced any harsh bottoming prior. Thanks!
    Make sure you are getting a good sag setting. I don't remember my shock pressure, but at the same weight as you, I recall having significantly more pressure in the shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    you'll be happy with it. just get the shock sorted. i'd probably check out the manitou mara when it comes out. sell the hightower, there will be plenty of demand for it.

congrats.
    So the Factory 34 is a problem?

Thx for your help !

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If anyone is looking for a deal PM me these guys are ACE people

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Make sure you are getting a good sag setting. I don't remember my shock pressure, but at the same weight as you, I recall having significantly more pressure in the shock.
    Same rider weight here and running 235psi at blue sag line. Make sure your rebound is towards the faster side of things too. DW link likes fast. I run compression full open all of the time on the trail. If I have a road section, I might go full firm, but thatís pretty rare.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Same rider weight here and running 235psi at blue sag line. Make sure your rebound is towards the faster side of things too. DW link likes fast. I run compression full open all of the time on the trail. If I have a road section, I might go full firm, but thatís pretty rare.

Thanks, good feedback, sounds like I may not have enough pressure. Will try with more. Wonder if the wrong sag guide was put on my shock, as I'm definitely in the sag range at my pressure, but the riding results certainly indicate too low pressure. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Full open in climbs too ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Once I got my shock set up the way I like it, I found that it works good in full open all of the time.

Make sure you are doing your sag measurement in full open as well. That will affect it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I run my Switchblade X2 full open ~99% of the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Full open in climbs too ?

Absolutely. DW link loves to climb trail in full open.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Run full open virtually 100% of the time in all terrain both front and rear...feels great to me.

Verse the Stumpy, it doesn't squat or bob at full open...which is a good thing...for me at least.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Absolutely. DW link loves to climb trail in full open.

Interesting Iíll keep it open see how it goes

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I run fully open on my Mach 429 trail----trail mode seems not give any benefit----dw just works

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Comes with WT Rekkon 2.4

What tires are you guys running?

Thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Comes with WT Rekkon 2.4

Thx

Rekkon's front and rear?

I thought they came with a dhrII in the front? Can't remember what was in the rear...
    2015 giant glory
    2015 rocky mountain thunderbolt msl 770
    2017 motobecane nighttrain express

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ezen1234 View Post
    I just had my rear shock apart (DPX2 ressy) and it had a light blue 0.6 in ^3 spacer installed. Are you sure the spacer you have is the largest possible?

I'd also suggest airing up to your intended level, then cycling the rear suspension 20 or so times. You should be able to hear a *hissst!* when the negative air chamber balances out to match your main chamber. Then you'll see that the main chamber pressure has dropped ever so slightly. Keep at it. I'm 250# and ride with ~310 PSI on mine.
    Will ride singletrack for food...

Single Track Addict
    Comes with WT Rekkon 2.4

Thx

Shorty front (soon to be Assegai) and DHR2 rear. Works well here in PA/ NJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    First jaunt on the new 429 today ...

93 degrees - 11 miles a mix of everything... havenít ridden in 5 weeks except Demoíing...

Bike is fast - fastest bike Iíve ever owned - and you read these reviews that sound like bullshit ď fast ďĎ great climber ď
    Yadda ...

This bike is an absurd climber - coming off a Tallboy - Farley - Trek Fuel ... Itís grounded for sure - I feel safe ( very important to me )

I equate this bike to getting a dog out of the pound - it takes off ... even on small quick downhills where maybe youíre looking to catch a breath - it takes off - Fíd me up a few times honestly ... downhill this bike is tremendous - I hit the breaks more than usual ...

Fun fun ride

Couple concerns - my wheel came off the ground a number of times on a climb and I lost control of front wheel a few times in zippy log overs ... the bars can feel wide ... also I felt like I was turning a bus in twist backs and quick turns - went off track ...

Could that be the stem ?55 degrees or the spacers ?

Might need time to get used to it ...

Saturday AM West Jersey rock beds and climbing - putting her threw tough stuff early.

Great bike - great looking bike to - that matte red and Pivot writing look great in the woods ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    longer stem will help. id be curious as to what the fork offset is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    longer stem will help. id be curious as to what the fork offset is.
    Isnít it 51 ?

You mean a 60ídeg stem ??

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    no idea. lower offset will help the bike deflect stuff better when tracking at speedd, but will also feel more floppy at high steering angles combined with lower speeds.

longer stems give more leverage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    no idea. lower offset will help the bike deflect stuff better when tracking at speedd, but will also feel more floppy at high steering angles combined with lower speeds.

longer stems give more leverage.
    Gotcha

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Eastcoast heat wave 90ís muggy and poor air quality alerts ...
    Not great for riding ... I like 35-80 and dry

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Be interested in thoughts after a couple of rides and how you end up with fork and shock settings. With that frame being super stiff I bet you need to watch tire pressures to get it not to ping off everything

Odd the bars feel wide as they should be 760 which actually I like and have long arms but they are on the narrow side these days.

Not surprised it takes a bit to adjust to---

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Be interested in thoughts after a couple of rides and how you end up with fork and shock settings. With that frame being super stiff I bet you need to watch tire pressures to get it not to ping off everything

Odd the bars feel wide as they should be 760 which actually I like and have long arms but they are on the narrow side these days.

Not surprised it takes a bit to adjust to---
    I noticed the pinging ... its a stable ride for sure .. when I think stiff - I think a salsa Beargrease I had ... this isnít that - that I hated - this is fun ... quality , inspiring to ride ...

I wish I never ordered the Hightower...

Because Iíll need to sell one ..: and Iím sure Iíll like both ... but for a big guy this is the perfect light trail bike because itís burly - well see how it goes ...

Two people will win here - me and whoever buys the bike I sell ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    this is fun ... quality , inspiring to ride ...

glad you're liking it!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I noticed the pinging ... its a stable ride for sure .. when I think stiff - I think a salsa Beargrease I had ... this isnít that - that I hated - this is fun ... quality , inspiring to ride ...

Because Iíll need to sell one ..: and Iím sure Iíll like both ... but for a big guy this is the perfect light trail bike because itís burly - well see how it goes ...

Two people will win here - me and whoever buys the bike I sell ...

It's also great for a smaller rider in 27.5 configuration. I did notice that this bike is much more sensitive to tire pressure than my Stumpy. I'm riding at about 5-6 psi less on the T429 compared to the Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Guys, has anyone down sized to the T429?

I'm currently riding a Gen 1 Pivot Mach 6 but it is larger (travel wise) than I really need and I'd like to get onto something more efficient; a more 'trail' oriented bike rather than 'enduro' oriented (I've used these terms just to paint a picture).

I guess my question is, coming from a 150mm bike will the T429 feel like 'spindly XC rig' or will it just feel like a smaller, big bike?

That is kind of vauge but I'm currious to hear peoples thoughts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    [QUOTE=BikeThreads;14168723

I guess my question is, coming from a 150mm bike will the T429 feel like 'spindly XC rig' or will it just feel like a smaller, big bike?

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect the trail 429 to smash over rough terrain compared to a bigger bike, but you won't hesitate much on a decent sized drop or going down steep terrain compared to dedicated xc bike. You have to pick your lines for sure. I own a ibis hd4 and trail 429. I ride the trail 429 the vast majority of the time, i use the hd4 for the bike park and black trails that I know are truly black. I also prefer my hd4 in sedona, moab, st george, fruita over the trail 429 for most desert chunk. To put it in perspective, I owned a yeti sb4.5 before the trail 429, i would often hesitate on that bike when there was a 2 foot drop etc, on the trail 429 I don't think twice about it. The trail 429 is just as efficient as my yeti was on the climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeThreads View Post
    Guys, has anyone down sized to the T429?

I'm currently riding a Gen 1 Pivot Mach 6 but it is larger (travel wise) than I really need and I'd like to get onto something more efficient; a more 'trail' oriented bike rather than 'enduro' oriented (I've used these terms just to paint a picture).

That is kind of vauge but I'm currious to hear peoples thoughts.
    For sure less enduro feel, but no chance of spindly XC. This bike is stiff and burly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    For sure less enduro feel, but no chance of spindly XC. This bike is stiff and burly.
    This

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    https://www.bikemag.com/2019-bible-t...-bible-tucson/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

...Couple concerns - my wheel came off the ground a number of times on a climb and I lost control of front wheel a few times in zippy log overs ...
    I noticed this as well, but the bike has so much traction I just stand up and pedal and all is good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I noticed this as well, but the bike has so much traction I just stand up and pedal and all is good.
    After 4 rides Iím getting the feel much better ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    First time I took that bike into heavy chunk rock - shark teeth - cobblestone type stuff - overall it handled it all well - tho I was throw around a bit - still trying to dial front tire in - coming up in climbs - pings like a bastard especially on wicked rock beds.
    Ringwood
    Northwest Jersey Rock Garden State
    https://youtu.be/UwuXEZL18TM

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Are you on carbon wheels ? I had this pinging on my demo with carbon wheels and they felt too stiff-----would run aluminum if I finally buy this bike. I had no issue and have not seen others comment on your lifting issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    DT Swiss M1700

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I've not had a lifting issue...50mm stem. I also run about 5 lbs lower tire pressure on this bike than my Stumpy. At my "normal" tire pressure, I was getting pinged around a bit on the T429. Lowered it, and traction and tracking are much improved. Running Stan's Flow Tubeless w/Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2...I think i ended up at 18 lbs of pressure front and 19 rear. I'm about 145 lbs all kitted up.

Also, recheck sag and shock pressure, dampening, and rebound. Seems like it likes to run on the softer side for pressure, light dampening, and quick on rebound. I decreased my front fork pressure a couple of lbs, and that helped, too.

Just my 2 cents, but I think with the frame being so stiff and efficient, the T429 is more sensitive to all other inputs and adjustments than perhaps some other bikes. My Stump was less sensitive for sure. Seems like there was more wiggle room in adjustment settings on the Stumpy. The T429 seems to need more precise settings. Once dialed, it's a really nice ride. I've got about 6 rides on mine, and I tweak a little something each time. I'm really close to having it perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've not had a lifting issue...50mm stem. I also run about 5 lbs lower tire pressure on this bike than my Stumpy. At my "normal" tire pressure, I was getting pinged around a bit on the T429. Lowered it, and traction and tracking are much improved. Running Stan's Flow Tubeless w/Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2...I think i ended up at 18 lbs of pressure front and 19 rear. I'm about 145 lbs all kitted up.

Also, recheck sag and shock pressure, dampening, and rebound. Seems like it likes to run on the softer side for pressure, light dampening, and quick on rebound. I decreased my front fork pressure a couple of lbs, and that helped, too.

Just my 2 cents, but I think with the frame being so stiff and efficient, the T429 is more sensitive to all other inputs and adjustments than perhaps some other bikes. My Stump was less sensitive for sure. Seems like there was more wiggle room in adjustment settings on the Stumpy. The T429 seems to need more precise settings. Once dialed, it's a really nice ride. I've got about 6 rides on mine, and I tweak a little something each time. I'm really close to having it perfect.
    Your tires are 29x2.2?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    27.5x2.2

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    27.5x2.2
    Whatís the widest you can go on the 429 in 29 x?
    2.6?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Whatís the widest you can go on the 429 in 29 x?
    2.6?

If I read the website correctly, I believe it's 27.5x3.0 and 29x2.8...not 100% sure, however.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pivot Trail 429

If I read the website correctly, I believe it's 27.5x3.0 and 29x2.8...not 100% sure, however.
    I run 29 x 2.6 with no problems and plenty of clearance, though Iím not sure with a bigger diameter tire IF the frame at rear suspension bottom out would have tire contact

Last edited by Rideon; 1 Week Ago at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Demoíd T429 back-to-back with the Switchblade. Both XL, both 29. Note: Iím 6í4; 230 with pack, helmet, and shoes. Hereís what I found:

TLDR: put on your suit and tie: all business....solid and planted.

Long form: clearly these two are brothers. They exhibit the same solid stiffness. Both were planted and solid...business-like. Both bikes, I felt ďinĒ rather than on top. There was ZERO flex in either. Maybe itís the nature of XL, but unlike some others, I didnít find either poppy or playful. BUT, whether on ground or in air, they were were composed and confident. Maybe switching to 27.5 makes them playful???

Climbing: both had traction for days; I could almost feel the tires dig in and grip. If you could keep the cranks turning, they would keep moving forward; not rocket-ship forward, but a workman like efficiency. Again, the design makes the two bikes climb the same: when spinning, there was almost no bob, but you could see the suspension working; when grinding, both had more movement, but I wouldnt really call it ďbobĒ and it didnít seem to rob any forward momentum...same with standing climbing. The 429 was a bit easier and faster to climb (as expected), but it didnít blow the SB our of the water.

Down: again: the same. SB is ďpoint and shootĒ destroying everything in its path. The 429 could do that, but made it a bit rougher....or you could be more selective in your line. I was never nervous or scared when airborne: rock solid. Have I mentioned solid??? SB was better down, but didnít blow the 429 out of the water (see what I did there).

Flats: whatever....who buys a bike for flats....both held speed well; the 429 more so.

Differences/ other observations: I liked the 36 more than 34. In hindsight, I feel like the 429s stiffness outshined (and wasnít balanced with) the 34. I wonder what 429 would feel like with a 36??? For those who care, the 429 is MUCH better looking than the SB (and most Pivots). My favorite color is blue, but I liked the red better.

Weight: both were tanks - prolly had something to do with wheels. I didnít really notice it when riding, but I wonder how a 25lb Ibis or 27lb TB will compare. Also, would lighter build/wheels = more playful?

Bottom line: I can see a TON of people in the mid-Atlantic really liking the 429. As a non-racer, I think new 429 is a big improvement over the old....especially the longer reach. Where the mountains are more substantial, the SB is a better choice (Duh). BUT, and I canít put my finger on why, while I enjoyed both, neither totally blew me away (which is surprising bc I demod the SB last year in 27.5 and loved it).

Next week Iíll demo a TB3 and report back.
    What a great , spot on accurate review .

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Agreed. It is much more playful in 27.5. Did not like it 29. Love it in 27.5. But, I'm also a lot smaller than you.

You are correct, the 1700 wheel set is heavy; nice, but heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi all, I just picked up a Trail 429 Race XT build which should be ready for me on Wednesday. Really enjoyed demoing the bike in Sedona back in March and got out on a second demo on my local trails recently and decided it was the right bike when I kept saying to myself, "Damn, this bike is fast" through my shit-eating grin.

I'm having an MRP Ribbon Air 140 put on instead of the Fox 34 Performance 130 and wanted to figure out the head tube angle change. Didn't see that anywhere in the thread so I thought I'd add the info. I used the formula found on Sheldon Brown's site and A-C lengths of the forks from Fox (537.1mm) and MRP (552mm) respectively. I came up with 0.7 degree decrease resulting in HA of 66.6 on a size L frame.

Hope that helps someone else. If I really fugged it up and someone who knows more about frame geometry wants to jump in, please do. Thanks for all the good info in this thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Has anyone overforked a Trail 429 +10mm? Maybe with reduced offset?

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by laksboy View Post
    Has anyone overforked a Trail 429 +10mm? Maybe with reduced offset?
    I installed a 140mm airshaft in my OEM fox 34, but that didn't change the offset.

It definitely helped me in my quest for a bit more cushion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    I installed a 140mm airshaft in my OEM fox 34, but that didn't change the offset.

It definitely helped me in my quest for a bit more cushion.
    How did 140 effect the handling?

Single Track Addict
    How did 140 effect the handling?

No complaints. I rode it with the stem about 20mm off the top face of the head set for a while, but recently I slammed my stem to the bottom.

I would consider my riding style aggressive trail/ trending toward light enduro, so if you're more XC/Trail, you might not like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I just noticed that Pivot now has Team XX1 AXS as one of the Trail 429 models

Hopefully upgraded Shimano specs soon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345