Pivot Switchblade- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Pivot Switchblade

Coming May 31st, according to Pivot website. Any ideas what it is?

My old Titus Switchblade was one of my favorite bikes ever.

Single Track Addict
    Just saw that... Looks like Chase had a hand in it... so, is it a longer travel 29r?
    Will ride singletrack for food...

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    is it a longer travel 29r?
    That would be my guess. With a Hightower-like "switch" to be able to run 27.5+ with the same BB height?

Design-wise, can Pivot get the chain stays shorter than 17.5"? It seems like every DW-link 29er has a minimum ~17.5" CS length (Turner, Ibis, Pivot). I personally prefer long stays - but I'm a leggy freak and I know this a deal breaker for some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    That would be my guess. With a Hightower-like "switch" to be able to run 27.5+ with the same BB height?

Design-wise, can Pivot get the chain stays shorter than 17.5"? It seems like every DW-link 29er has a minimum ~17.5" CS length (Turner, Ibis, Pivot). I personally prefer long stays - but I'm a leggy freak and I know this a deal breaker for some.
    Yeah, I would assume it has some sort of "switch", since Cocalis designed the Titus Switchblade to have adjustable rear travel from 4 to 5.5" IIRC.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Yeah, I would assume it has some sort of "switch", since Cocalis designed the Titus Switchblade to have adjustable rear travel from 4 to 5.5" IIRC.
    Configuration options seem to be all the rage. At Costco last night I saw paper towels that advertised that you could "create you're own sized sheets!" It seems everybody wants to be able to customize their shiny new purchase to suit themselves, while keeping all their options open down the road. OK, that's all fine and well, and Pivot seems to be adopting that philosophy lately - the LES is crazy flexible, Pivot advertises the Mach6 as the world's most "versatile" enduro bike, and the 429T can be run with 27.5 or 29. I wasn't really thinking of adjustable rear travel on the Switchblade, though. Maybe...

Matty-B
    Only illegal in 15 states... haha

Us Switchblade Laws - Weapon Laws for Dummies

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm stoked for this. please not a super slack sa and short reach

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If the Switchblade is what I think it is, there will be a L white/orange 429T/XT 2x/LEV dropper for sale on this site for under $5k on May 31st.

mtbr member
    It will be interesting to see if Pivot stays the course with their geometry (slacker seat angle, relatively short reach).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When the 429T came out, I was a little disappointed in the total travel - had been hoping for a "529" to replace my last bike. If this turns out to be that bike, I'm definitely jumping on one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    fingers crossed. aggressive plus/29 135-140 bike with reasonable sa and reach

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    Ditto.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am having a 429tr built up as I write this... Think my LBS will let me retur/exchange it so I can at least see what is coming so I don't rush into anything.. More travel is like more horsepower, who doesnt want that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    more reach, shorter CS, steeper STA so its rideable. Otherwise exciting . Just got rid of my 429T so there is room.

Elitest thrill junkie
    What the world does not need is another 120-140 mid-travel 29er. Wreckoning, E29, this is the forefront...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ummmm for what? What is this forefront? Mid travel bikes are so good now these longer travel am bikes are becoming more useless by the day

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I am sure it will rewrite the book on how we think about 29er OR 27.5+ bikes depending on what it is and Aaron C will rip on it like he does on every bike. My hope is its 150mm+ category, maybe even 180mm. Something like new Uzzi in carbon or WFO type.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    more reach, shorter CS, steeper STA so its rideable. Otherwise exciting . Just got rid of my 429T so there is room.
    Um, I think Chris Cocalis knows how to make a bike that's rideable. Maybe not for you and some others, but, if that's the case, there are other makers. Some of us like to move around on our saddle for different pitches and don't want the seat over the BB.

mtbr member
    I heard from my LBS that it is a 29er. Has anyone ever made a 29er DW link bike with over 130mm travel??? I did a google search and couldn't find one...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm guessing 130-135mm travel with a 150 fork by the kit that the guy in the photo's wearing. Knee pads and launching off of something. And maybe some kind of "switch" to adjust geometry and/or travel. Sort of a Firebird replacement.

mtbr member
    Well that shoots down my idea of a 5" travel 27.5 being announced on May 27th

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Though a longer travel Mach 4 (5.7 replacement) would be great; having ridden both the 5.7 and the Mach 6, I'd say if your heart is set on 27.5, you wouldn't be disappointed with the Mach 6. It climbs as well as a shorter travel bike (I came close to PR on a local climb that I used for a test ride) and is super playful with the dropper post.

(assuming you haven't ridden one yet - if you have, forget what I posted)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i hear it's a 29/27.5 plus bike 150 front 135 rear. no word on geo

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i really dig pivot so i hope the geo isn't a let down

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    isn't the pic on their website a B+ wheelsize? From the looks of things, it will be at least a B+ bike ... hoping the switchblade name represents a switch in geo rather than travel/etc ... something similar to a Hightower. I've been waiting on a new B+/29er with somewhere around 130-140 rear / 140-150 front travel. Keeping my fingers crossed. Judging from Pivots other bikes, I'm sure they will introduce another efficient pedaler ... not too worried about the geometry since Pivot has been dead on with all their other bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    I heard from my LBS that it is a 29er. Has anyone ever made a 29er DW link bike with over 130mm travel??? I did a google search and couldn't find one...
    The BMC Trailfox comes close with it's AS profile. The overall AS numbers would probably need to be a bit higher, but it replicates the flat AS mid-travel section unique to DW bikes, where other bikes bog-down when the suspension activates and you try to accelerate (pedal).

That said, more aggressive 29ers is awesome. With modern materials, there's no reason you can't get another 20mm and have something that will hold up just fine for the occasional bike-park days (and not be severely under-biked).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EXORCIZE
    I'll guess 27.5+ with 140mm fork and 130mm rear suspension featuring some type of "switch" that allows you to run it high/low like the Trek mini link or whatever that thing is. No 29er option. Targeted at crushing the 5010 and SB5c.

mtbr member
    Stumpjumper killer. 135mm rear travel 150 front 29er

mtbr member
    I'll guess 27.5+ with 140mm fork and 130mm rear suspension featuring some type of "switch" that allows you to run it high/low like the Trek mini link or whatever that thing is. No 29er option. Targeted at crushing the 5010 and SB5c.
    You could be right! An Ibis Mojo 3 rival

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not mojo 3 rival. Hightower rival

mtbr member
    Wow I hope its a hightower or yeti 5.5 I'll jump back on a Pivot for sure. Can't wait

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Per the just-received MB Action:

-29 or 27.5+, up to 3.25" tires on the 27.5+ wheels
    -long and low with 16.85" chainstays
    -135mm rear travel, 150mm Fox 36 fork
    -no mention of any "switch" or adjustable link or anything
    -DW link, yada, yada
    -2 photos: carbon with red (not outlined red like the others), and blue with red (like the one on the website)

Too much bike for me, but right up some of you guys' alley.

mtbr member
    I'll take one, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    wow 16.85 cs..how did they get it so short? whats the seat tube angle? sounds like exactly what i want

mtbr member
    I'll take one please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    I'll take one please

I wonder if running a 140 fork up front is possible...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post

I wonder if running a 140 fork up front is possible...

Hmmmm. Once we know the bottom bracket height then it will be easier to make that decision. Maybe it's a 150mm fork in plus mode like the HT and 140mm fork pizza slicer mode

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    my interest level is peaked. i want to see pics and geo

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Like the rocky mountain instinct BC edition? Will be interested to see what Pivot comes up with. My rocky BC is sweet so I'm not looking to change bikes for a couple seasons and will likely stay with rocky assuming they continue to produce an instinct bc and just refine and tweak, because the bike slays everything.

mtbr member
    Per the just-received MB Action:

-29 or 27.5+, up to 3.25" tires on the 27.5+ wheels
    -long and low with 16.85" chainstays
    -135mm rear travel, 150mm Fox 36 fork
    -no mention of any "switch" or adjustable link or anything
    -DW link, yada, yada
    -2 photos: carbon with red (not outlined red like the others), and blue with red (like the one on the website)

Too much bike for me, but right up some of you guys' alley.
    I guess I'll have to track down a copy of MBA in the grocery store!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I guess I'll have to track down a copy of MBA in the grocery store!
    Post some pics if you do!

This sounds like the bike you've been waiting for Vik!

mtbr member
    I'm not getting too excited yet. Long and low are not words I would use to describe my dream bike.

I am curious enough to crack the cover of MBA [at the store] and take a look though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm not getting too excited yet. Long and low are not words I would use to describe my dream bike.

I am curious enough to crack the cover of MBA [at the store] and take a look though.
    Long and low in terms of Pivot Cycles probably isn't all that long and low comparatively.

mtbr member
    Long and low in terms of Pivot Cycles probably isn't all that long and low comparatively.
    One can hope. Either way it will be great to see a new Pivot model. It doesn't matter if it ends up in my garage or not. Good to see the company coming out with their new ideals regardless.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Indeed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Pivot Switchblade-photo-5-26-16-12.14-pm.jpgQuick photo from my computer.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I like the bikepacking friendly shock placement.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 5-26-16 at 12.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	1072500Quick photo from my computer.
    Headed to my mirror to read it

Natty Dread
    I had a Mach 6 and now have a Trail 429. Love both bikes If the Switchblade follows the above leaked geo/stats then I think it fills a gap in the lineup for Pivot. The Mach 6 is great for super chunky locations i.e. Desert Southwest and East Coast Big Mountains like Virginia and NC. Trail 429 is perfect for probably 80% of riders and locations in the USA. For me I spend time between Coastal CA, Tahoe, Downieville, Rocky Mtn and Desert Southwest. Think the stats on the Switchblade will present itself as a Swiss Army Knife for me. Keep in mind I'm not a 29er hater. So bikes like the Santa Cruz 5010 do not make much sense to me. If you are going to go with short-ish travel because you are doing more epic/aerobic riding, then I think you should go with bigger wheels. At the same time, I get how you might want a bike with more trail feel but the ability to get the 27.5 wheels off the ground. We are lucky to have so much choice. Wonder if Pivot will make a competing bike to the 5010 or the Transition Scout. I've ridden Specialized 6Fattie FSR. Not sure I am sold on the mid fat tires for full suspension. If the tires are too firm they skid out easily with the lower profile treads. If they are too soft they bottom out quite easily messing up the rim etc. I don't think the wheels and tires are there yet on the plus gear to go as big as full susp. will let you get away with. I like plus tires on hard tails because I think it allows you to go bigger when you don't have the advantage of full suspension. If I get the Switchblade I will immediately sell the stock DT Swiss Spline 2 M1700 29er wheels....so lame they keep using this XC wheelset for all mountain bikes, and get the Ibis 938 aluminum wide rims to run 2.3x29 tires with a wider profile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Headed to my mirror to read it

Ha! Good one. I was just posting a pic of the bike from Photo Booth cuz vic said he was gonna go to the grocery to see a pic of the bike so I thought I'd save him a trip. I can't figure out how to get my photos from iPhoto to upload on here and post them.

mtbr member
    Ha! Good one. I was just posting a pic of the bike from Photo Booth cuz vic said he was gonna go to the grocery to see a pic of the bike so I thought I'd save him a trip. I can't figure out how to get my photos from iPhoto to upload on here and post them.
    Just giving you a hard time Is it the July issue?

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 7750
Size:  55.8 KB

mtbr member
    The seattube/DT junction looks Knolly-esque, I guess that'd be how they got the chainstays shorter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 7750
Size:  55.8 KB
    OK there you go. You must be the same age as my teenagers if you know how to do that stuff. lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What's the seat tube angle?

mtbr member
    We should know tommorrow. My LBS has some in stock but is holding off on getting them on the floor till Friday. I did find out thru alternative source that the price is going to skyrocket and availability is going to be very limited.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    74.25 for medium.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    74.25 for medium.

Francis! Did Pivot send you one to review? (Can I borrow it?)

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Francis! Did Pivot send you one to review? (Can I borrow it?)
    I rode it for three days in Moab. Headed home now. Will publish at midnight.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Just buy it.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This thing seriously sounds bad ass

fc

Kapow
    IPA will save America

EXORCIZE
    details now up at Pivot's website

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sweet! Glad I haven't built a Boost 148 rear wheel yet

Geo looks killer, especially in 29er form. Bravo Pivot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Woohoo new hub standard. Geo looks good indeed with a roomy cockpit.

mtbr member
    Will there be a frame only option?

Pivotal figure
    Here's the video link. BTW, the rear hub isn't really a new standard as you can run an existing 157mm DH hub (same as the carbon Phoenix ) OR you can build a new Boost version. The difference between the 2 hubs is simply flange spacing, both have the rotor in the same location so fitting either version isn't an issue.

The New Pivot Switchblade with Aaron Chase and Mason Bond - Pivot Cycles | Pivot Cycles | Performance Redefined
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    157 makes more sense to me than 148.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    holy shiz pivot. nice work. i want

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is the bike I wanted when I bought my 429T...a little bummed but not so much as the Trail has been wonderful. I'll be getting one of these as soon as their supply loosens up a bit around July/August (just in time for Downieville!!)

Full review up on Bikerumor.

Pivoteer
    holy shiz pivot. nice work. i want
    You're welcome.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Are any of the builds less than 10k? All XTR, all carbon wheels. From 1 minute glance...

Those look like wide carbon rims too.

Bob

mtbr member
    Now I know why I was hanging onto my King 150mm rear a 20mm front 29er wheels off my old lunch box. Looks like I may not be able to do this. I may need to convert my i9s then.
    Just need a new axle and good to go.

Is the only difference between the 29er and 27.5+ are the wheels and tires? Forks are the same? Because I would order the 27.5 since I have a set of 29er wheels already.

mtbr member
    I predicted the rise of Super Boost...although I was calling it Boosty Boost.

and I was pretty sure I could just wait out the demise of Boost...I didn't realize it would be this short a wait!

Now I predict Boost MEGA!

Lots of nice features and details on this bike. Not sure it's the right bike for me, but hopefully I can get a ride on one when I am down in UT/AZ this fall.

I've added it to my list of potential new 29ers.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I wonder what the opinion of Pivot would be on running a 140mm 29er fork up front with the 17mm lower cup?

I already have a nearly brand new 2016 Fox 34 140mm fork that I'd like to use if possible.

Does the frameset come with both lower headset cup options?

mtbr member
    Bravo to Pivot for pushing the envelope.

mtbr member
    which size are you looking at CollinM? as usual.... on the cusp sizes.

mtbr member
    Probably a large at 5'11. Seat tube is short enough at 18 inches to run a 170mm dropper if I wanted to with my long legs (34.5 inch cycling inseam).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Going to do so! Anyone interested in a lightly used 429T/L/XT 2x?

mtbr member
    Wow this is a beautifully designed bike! I like the rear 157 hub with the wider flange spacing. This makes more sense than 148. It sounds like it uses a 73mm BB with slightly different offset chain rings. Am I correct in this?
    Very cool bike and so versitle. I loved my past Pivots and this could become another for me.
    I wonder what the frame weight is at?
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Wow this is a beautifully designed bike! I like the rear 157 hub with the wider flange spacing. This makes more sense than 148. It sounds like it uses a 73mm BB with slightly different offset chain rings. Am I correct in this?
    Very cool bike and so versitle. I loved my past Pivots and this could become another for me.
    6.4 pounds medium frame
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/pivot-swi...irst-look.html

mtbr member
    Finally a sensible reach and STA numbers. Good job Pivot!

mtbr member
    I'll take the blue frame please

mtbr member
    I wonder what the opinion of Pivot would be on running a 140mm 29er fork up front with the 17mm lower cup?

I already have a nearly brand new 2016 Fox 34 140mm fork that I'd like to use if possible.

Does the frameset come with both lower headset cup options?
    I would think that would work but you could also buy the 150 air spring and change them out. Also running a 160 fork on this bike would be a good option in b+.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure that the 2016 Fox 34 can be set at 150?

mtbr member
    I was thinking it had 10mm increments in travel, no?

mtbr member
    I was thinking it had 10mm increments in travel, no?
    I just know they don't offer a 150mm version in stock form. I hope I'm wrong

mtbr member
    Wow, I like this. Might get me back on a Pivot. I was all set on either Hightower or SB55 next. But I didn't want to spend SB55 money and haven't had a chance to demo Hightower yet. Guess I need to look for a Pivot demo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    "We needed super stiff wheels for all of the hardcore pounding we were going to do on this bike."

"And then we specced it with an XC shock."

mtbr member
    ^^ that did seem weird. The SB frame weight is pretty comparable to the M6 once you factor in the lighter shock.

It would be nice to have a burlier shock option/no shock option on a frame only purchase so you don't have to replace the shock for a more aggressive build.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Here's the video link. BTW, the rear hub isn't really a new standard as you can run an existing 157mm DH hub (same as the carbon Phoenix ) OR you can build a new Boost version. The difference between the 2 hubs is simply flange spacing, both have the rotor in the same location so fitting either version isn't an issue.

The New Pivot Switchblade with Aaron Chase and Mason Bond - Pivot Cycles | Pivot Cycles | Performance Redefined

One solid hub for both trail and DH bikes!

Finally a real mountain hub, for all mountain bikes. Only took, what, 30 years.

Not half-assed roadie revamps.

A nail in the coffin of 148.

Matty-B
    It uses a PF92 BB. That is a bottom bracket shell that is 92mm wide which matches the width of a 73mm BSA. The use of a slightly longer spindle (143mm on RF Next SL 1X), and flipping the race face ring achieves the chainline needed while maintaining a reasonable q-factor
    Last edited by Mattyboughton; 05-27-2016 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    As a relatively fresh owner of 429T , I'm not tooo happy about this haha, but in reality 429T is amazingly capable bike, extremely versatile and fun.
    Switchblade looks good on paper, but I doubt it will be as agile and zippy.
    It will rip down at speed over open gnarly trails no doubt.

Wondering about ETT sizing for the same saddle height compared to 429T?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyboughton View Post
    It uses a PF92 BB. That is a bottom bracket shell that is 92mm wide which matches the width of a 73mm BSA. The use of a slightly longer spindle (143mm on RF Next SL 1X), and flipping the race face ring achieves the chainline needed while maintaining a reasonable q-factor
    Thanks for that info. That's one of the good things about the cinch system is ability to change axle lengths.

mtbr member
    6.4 pounds medium frame
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/pivot-swi...irst-look.html

Very similar on weight to our Followings. I'm still digging my Following and not in the market now.

mtbr member
    Very similar on weight to our Followings. I'm still digging my Following and not in the market now.
    I was hating on my Following for a minute because of how it was climbing. I demoed an Ibis Ripley LS and got even for hate for it. But then I dropped my MRP stage to 130mm and its like a completely new bike. So I am kinda in the market. But still going to rip my Following for now. It has been good to me for West Virginia Enduro Series racing.

fc
    Here's a couple drawings that explain the new hub better. An old DH 157 will indeed work. But it will be less laterally stiff on a 29er. Don't have the exact number on that yet. Anybody a math wiz?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Switchblade-screen-shot-2016-05-27-12.38.56-pm.jpg  

Pivot Switchblade-screen-shot-2016-05-27-12.36.53-pm.jpg  

Pivot Switchblade-p5250002.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I was hating on my Following for a minute because of how it was climbing. I demoed an Ibis Ripley LS and got even for hate for it. But then I dropped my MRP stage to 130mm and its like a completely new bike. So I am kinda in the market. But still going to rip my Following for now. It has been good to me for West Virginia Enduro Series racing.

You must have longer legs/ slacker SA than me. I ride my Stage at 140 and it really climbs great for me. In high/ 140 Stage I measure my effective SA at 74+ deg and 73.5 in low setting.
    I took the bike down to Pisgah for a week late last month and ride it in low with the Stage at 140. I rode a bunch of laps off of clawhammer and Laurel/ Pilot and it did surprisingly well for how slack it was. It did shred the descents though.
    I've got it set up in my endurance build now with the RS-1 120 and it's really well mannered up and down. The RS-1 is amazingly plush and bottomless (2 tokens) for only 120mm travel.

mtbr member
    You must have longer legs/ slacker SA than me. I ride my Stage at 140 and it really climbs great for me. In high/ 140 Stage I measure my effective SA at 74+ deg and 73.5 in low setting.
    I took the bike down to Pisgah for a week late last month and ride it in low with the Stage at 140. I rode a bunch of laps off of clawhammer and Laurel/ Pilot and it did surprisingly well for how slack it was. It did shred the descents though.
    I've got it set up in my endurance build now with the RS-1 120 and it's really well mannered up and down. The RS-1 is amazingly plush and bottomless (2 tokens) for only 120mm travel.
    He's a long legged freak like me

mtbr member
    35" cycling inseam.
    I did similar trails while in Pisgah in March. The Following gave me so much confidence. It killed the descents. I am hoping I enjoy the bike on the climbs better now.

mtbr member
    He's a long legged freak like me

35" cycling inseam.
    I did similar trails while in Pisgah in March. The Following gave me so much confidence. It killed the descents. I am hoping I enjoy the bike on the climbs better now.

Yep, it looks like this Switchblade with its steeper ST would fit you long legged guys better for sure. You know it's going to climb and descend well because it's a Pivot, plus room for a PB shock. Like someone mentioned earlier a Float X or X2 option would be a good bet for this bike.

mtbr member
    Yep, it looks like this Switchblade with its steeper ST would fit you long legged guys better for sure. You know it's going to climb and descend well because it's a Pivot, plus room for a PB shock. Like someone mentioned earlier a Float X or X2 option would be a good bet for this bike.
    I'm going to try and wait to see what Intense has up their sleeves.

mtbr member
    Repeating an earlier question: do any of you know if a frame only option will be offered?

This has me very interested, considering I could use my I9 wheels from my current Lunchbox...already have the rear spacing at 157.

I thought I had decided on a Riot, but this may sway me.

Thanks!
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm sure there will be a frame only option - all their other bikes have a frame only and frame/fork/headset/bb option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    As a relatively fresh owner of 429T , I'm not tooo happy about this haha, but in reality 429T is amazingly capable bike, extremely versatile and fun.
    Switchblade looks good on paper, but I doubt it will be as agile and zippy.
    It will rip down at speed over open gnarly trails no doubt.

Wondering about ETT sizing for the same saddle height compared to 429T?
    You and 1000's of others. The biking industry has been crazy lately with all the bad ass bikes coming out. You wait for the bike you think you really want and in six months time, six new sweet bikes come out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Here's a couple drawings that explain the new hub better. An old DH 157 will indeed work. But it will be less laterally stiff on a 29er. Don't have the exact number on that yet. Anybody a math wiz?
    Fc. How is the heel clearance on the chainstays? Are you hitting them while peddaling. With such short stays and wide spacing shoes must constantly rub on sides if not hit rear deraileur. Five ten sam hills are pretty wide shoes im using and i have issues even with boost bikes. Now the superboost kind of make me wonder. Need to demo to decide. Could be tough for otherwise a great bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    Fc. How is the heel clearance on the chainstays? Are you hitting them while peddaling. With such short stays and wide spacing shoes must constantly rub on sides if not hit rear deraileur. Five ten sam hills are pretty wide shoes im using and i have issues even with boost bikes. Now the superboost kind of make me wonder. Need to demo to decide. Could be tough for otherwise a great bike
    He commented in his review that heel strikes and rubbing was a non-issue for him.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    Heel clearance is excellent and better than their Mach 4 even. This is accomplished by highly curved stays and allowing a max rear rotor size of 180mm.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'm going to try and wait to see what Intense has up their sleeves.

Then it comes down to VPP vs. DW Link, feature set and how they ride. That's an over simplification of course but both are respectable brands, I'd be plenty happy supporting either company again with my business and I really like both companies. I've had some stellar customer service from Intense with a free crash replacement rear triangle after 3 years of ownership and that's a perfect example of why someone would want to support these great innovative brands like Pivot!

mtbr member
    I have a VPP bike Nomad MK2 and a 2014 Mach 6. They feel totally different, but I like them both a lot. It took a while until I got my suspension adjusted to make the most from both designs. I'm a custom shock away from perfection on the M6, but it's pretty good as is.

It comes down to personal preference which one you choose as I think they offer excellent performance once properly setup.

Frequently when I hear complaining about either I get the feeling the bike isn't setup right, but there is no way to diagnose that remotely.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I have a VPP bike Nomad MK2 and a 2014 Mach 6. They feel totally different, but I like them both a lot. It took a while until I got my suspension adjusted to make the most from both designs. I'm a custom shock away from perfection on the M6, but it's pretty good as is.

It comes down to personal preference which one you choose as I think they offer excellent performance once properly setup.

Frequently when I hear complaining about either I get the feeling the bike isn't setup right, but there is no way to diagnose that remotely.
    I'd have to agree. I've owned a few of both brands and with custom tuned shocks. Dialing in suspension and balance front to rear is the key. I'm a huge fan of DW's suspensions and now I'm rocking the DELTA on my Following which I love. I've climbed the hardest shit on this bike and it shreds the downs. I'd definitely own another Pivot if I was in the market. So many good bikes now it's hard to make a bad choice really.

mtbr member
    So many good bikes now it's hard to make a bad choice really.
    I agree most of the leading bikes are amazing machines and from that perspective it's hard to buy junk when shopping at that level.

I would say it's definitely possible to buy a bike that is poorly matched to your specific needs and not have an enjoyable experience. So choosing wisely is still important.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Soooooo, this bike fixes everything I didn't like about my 429T. Shorter tays, steeper seat tube, more reach (finally), and more rear travel. I think I'll need to try this. Little annoying that I'll need new wheels but hey, can't have enough wheels. Curious choice on the 740mm handlebar and all shimano components. Hope they offer the frame set too, maybe with wheels .

mtbr member
    My dilemma - have both Mach 6 and 429 carbon - Rides I do are either lots of climbing and distance or lots of climbing with chunky downs. If more climbing or distance I pick Mach 429. If technical DH involved I pick the M6. You guys think this bike could cover all the bases? Something tells me I wouldn't be as happy on 40 plus mile rides with this bike.

All bike, all the time
    Key question, for me at least, which none of the reviewers has addressed so far, is if I have two bikes, an LT 27.5 trail/enduro and an ST 29 xc/trail, would this be a better bet? Is the multi-config option in all directions enough to merit ditching 2 bikes for the 1? Would that be a step up, sideways, or compromised?
    All bike, all the time

All bike, all the time
    Hmmm... great minds? (see below) As I'm typing you're posting...
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    My dilemma - have both Mach 6 and 429 carbon - Rides I do are either lots of climbing and distance or lots of climbing with chunky downs. If more climbing or distance I pick Mach 429. If technical DH involved I pick the M6. You guys think this bike could cover all the bases? Something tells me I wouldn't be as happy on 40 plus mile rides with this bike.
    All bike, all the time

EXORCIZE
    But one of the pleasure of owning 2 bikes is the ability to alternate. To have one, uhh, on the side. Also nice to have a backup when one is sidelined with maintenance issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Is Fox 36 Plus size like 34 Plus, love the width of the 34 .

mtbr member

Pivot Switchblade

Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    Hmmm... great minds? (see below) As I'm typing you're posting...

I have no doubt how the Switchblade would descend. Seems very capable there. I am curious how it fares for XC riding and lots of climbing. When I am on the Mach 6 it climbs OK but not as good as the 429 carbon even with identical tires. The fork becomes an issue keeping down when getting around tight uphill switchbacks. Perhaps the steeper seat angle of this bike helps with that. In general I am about 20 percent faster climbing with the 429. Nice to have two, but it is very expensive and time consuming to keep two.

Come to think of it I think it boils down to this: when I am on the Mach 6, for that bikes's intention, do I miss 29er tires? I don't.

On the XC side I put on a lot of miles a year (around 4K) and I think for XC and light trail, my current 429 carbon with a 130 fox 34 is ideal for that. If I got rid of it I am sure I would miss it for that kind of riding.

mtbr member
    I'm sure the SB will be fine as a one-bike-to-rule-them-all-solution if you accept it won't be charging the DH as well as the M6 or grinding out the XC as well as the 429. It will be a compromise.

Doesn't mean it's a bad compromise...that really depends on your needs.

If it was me in that situation I'd just keep riding what I had. Give it some time once the SB is in the hands of customers that paid for their bikes you'll start to see the marketing hype evaporate and some reality come through. It will be easier to decide and you might even get a demo ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm sure the SB will be fine as a one-bike-to-rule-them-all-solution if you accept it won't be charging the DH as well as the M6 or grinding out the XC as well as the 429. It will be a compromise.

Doesn't mean it's a bad compromise...that really depends on your needs.

If it was me in that situation I'd just keep riding what I had. Give it some time once the SB is in the hands of customers that paid for their bikes you'll start to see the marketing hype evaporate and some reality come through. It will be easier to decide and you might even get a demo ride.
    Excellent points as usual Vic

mtbr member
    But one of the pleasure of owning 2 bikes is the ability to alternate. To have one, uhh, on the side. Also nice to have a backup when one is sidelined with maintenance issues.
    Very true. There's really no such thing as a one bike solution, and with one bike when you break a component or for whatever reason cannot ride it, that down time can be a b!tch. Although I have to say that if I was forced to have only one bike the Switchblade would probably be it.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    Repeating an earlier question: do any of you know if a frame only option will be offered?

This has me very interested, considering I could use my I9 wheels from my current Lunchbox...already have the rear spacing at 157.

I thought I had decided on a Riot, but this may sway me.

Thanks!
    Next year there will be a frame offering. For now it will be complete bikes only.

"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Heel clearance is excellent and better than their Mach 4 even. This is accomplished by highly curved stays and allowing a max rear rotor size of 180mm.
    I have size 48 shoes and had no issues on my ride.

Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Next year there will be a frame offering. For now it will be complete bikes only.

No Switchblade for me this year then, just as well.

mtbr member
    No Switchblade for me this year then, just as well.
    Bummer. I was hoping to buy it off you next spring.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Bummer. I was hoping to buy it off you next spring.
    We all lose! This does give me ample time however to evaluate what coming down the pike. Thankfully I'm content at the moment with my Spider Comp 29.

mtbr member
    We all lose! This does give me ample time however to evaluate what coming down the pike. Thankfully I'm content at the moment with my Spider Comp 29.
    Do you still have your EPO?

mtbr member
    Nope.

All bike, all the time
    Right on, but I was more interested in the advantages (or not) of 1 bike that serves two riding purposes (or more) vs. two dedicated bikes. Francis made a big point of the Switchblade geo not staying the same in both configs. But wd familiarity with the bike in all other aspects outweigh the mental switching you do if you ride 2 bikes. It does take me a bit of ride time to adjust between the LT 27.5 and the ST 29 whenever I've been riding one for extended periods. Curious if the transition is more seamless when it's the same bike, just diff wheels. If there's no advantage then I go back to our original question: What reasons would be better to have one bike to do 2 configs instead of 2 bikes?
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

No frame kit,thats how I bought the first generation Mach 6,that would be dumbass not to offer it!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i'm told there will be a frame only option this fall next run

mtbr member

Pivot Switchblade

My thoughts on this is that Pivot is releasing the initial couple runs of these bikes as full kits to their best dealers only. By doing this they can control the customers experience with a controlled build and dealer service experience. It's really a good way to go for the dealers and Pivot but for those of us that like building and customizing our bike builds we have to wait for frames only.
    My suggestion to those riders is ride what you got and get a frame when they release them.
    This could be one of those quiver killer bikes (I personally like my quiver) for a large % of aggressive riders. Only time will tell.
    There are other examples of this type of sales distribution currently in the market place.
    Support your LBS as much as you are able to. It keeps the whole industry moving along and progressing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Is Fox 36 Plus size like 34 Plus, love the width of the 34 .
    I don't think the Fox 36plus has been released yet..
    The fork being shipped with the Switchblade is the Boost version of Fox36.
    This brings up the question of what fork will work with a 3.25 B+ tire and have 150mm travel

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Probably a large at 5'11. Seat tube is short enough at 18 inches to run a 170mm dropper if I wanted to with my long legs (34.5 inch cycling inseam).
    Built a medium today, I'm your size (5'11" with 34" inseam)...go with the large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    I don't think the Fox 36plus has been released yet..
    The fork being shipped with the Switchblade is the Boost version of Fox36.
    This brings up the question of what fork will work with a 3.25 B+ tire and have 150mm travel
    I'd use either an MRP Stage/ 29 or a Fox 34/ 29 fork and adjust the travel accordingly for the wheel and tire size. Boost or no boost up front, either fork will accommodate up to a 29x3 tire.
    Some bigger rides would surely benefit from the 36 and I'm sure it's evolving to accommodate some of the new ideas as well.
    The Stage is a stout fork and super silky!

mtbr member
    I'd use either an MRP Stage/ 29 or a Fox 34/ 29 fork and adjust the travel accordingly for the wheel and tire size. Boost or no boost up front, either fork will accommodate up to a 29x3 tire.
    Some bigger rides would surely benefit from the 36 and I'm sure it's evolving to accommodate some of the new ideas as well.
    The Stage is a stout fork and super silky!

I have a 29x3 setup and it can rub in an MRP Stage contrary to what has been said.
    It is a super good fork.. And, I know MRP is working on a 110Boost version that should be good for a 3.0 tire
    the Fox34+ fork is only available up to 140mm but it does have huge clearance and will handle up to a 27.5x3.8 Hodag

I'm hoping some new forks will be out soon.
    But, for now I don't know of anything to handle a 45mm rim and 3.0+ tire and can be had with 150 travel..

mtbr member

Pivot Switchblade

I have a Stage and some Chupacabras on Dually's. They clear most conditions and I don't ride them in mud. It's kinda close but they work. I have an RS-1 for plus tires but it wouldn't work on this bike. Works well on my Following!

fc

Pivot Switchblade

Yes, definitely. I owned a Mach 6 and a Mach 4. This bike would replace both with one lovely solution.

The ideal setup would be to have two wheelsets, 29er and Plus. 29er for the long, fast rides. Plus wil be for the chunky, loose dirt, rugged adventures.

But they won't sell a spare wheelset for now on the alternate size. One has to choose til then.

They won't sell a frame for now I think since there are not a lot of options to get the wheels and cranks easily. Those will be increasing and developing over the next year.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Sizing on this bike is very long. I'm usually a medium size with 5'8" and 30 inseam. But on this bike, they put me on a small. I actually didn't notice til the second day that I was on a small.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Yes, definitely. I owned a Mach 6 and a Mach 4. This bike would replace both with one lovely solution.

The ideal setup would be to have two wheelsets, 29er and Plus. 29er for the long, fast rides. Plus wil be for the chunky, loose dirt, rugged adventures.

But they won't sell a spare wheelset for now on the alternate size. One has to choose til then.

They won't sell a frame for now I think since there are not a lot of options to get the wheels and cranks easily. Those will be increasing and developing over ether next year.
    Not sure if this would replace my 429 C - reason is I am concerned about that slack head tube angle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

They won't sell a frame for now I think since there are not a lot of options to get the wheels and cranks easily. Those will be increasing and developing over the next year.
    I wonder:- what did Pivot gain by introducing this new standard. Everybody was expecting long travel 29er with modern geometry from them. They finally delivered. - Why kill the excitement with the new standard and no frame sets available for sale? (Untill next year ) I wonder if they went the way of Hightower - 1x drivetrain, 148 spacing and $2500 frame - similar to what they did with 429trail - the best selling bike in their lineup- would they have achieved more sales and less controversy. Peiple can just switch the parts from other bikes or easily buy a frame. Why mess with success?

Cassoulet forever !
    i'm looking for a picture of an XL frame.

All i saw was rather small frame. The seat tube of the xl looks pretty short, i think the saddle must be very high from the top tube. Would like to check it.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    i'm looking for a picture of an XL frame.

All i saw was rather small frame. The seat tube of the xl looks pretty short, i think the saddle must be very high from the top tube. Would like to check it.
    XL ST = 19.5" long. That's an inch lower than a XL Mach 6.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I am thinking about the 29er build with the D T SWISS rims. I have a new set of enve hv m70 sitting here. Front wheel no problem as it's boost to boost. Rear wheel I would need to swap the hubs between the stock build and the enves. Anyone thinking about a similar approach? Possible?

mtbr member
    I am thinking about the 29er build with the D T SWISS rims. I have a new set of enve hv m70 sitting here. Front wheel no problem as it's boost to boost. Rear wheel I would need to swap the hubs between the stock build and the enves. Anyone thinking about a similar approach? Possible?
    That looks like a good plan to me..
    I've got a set of Nextie's just waiting to be laced up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have a 29x3 setup and it can rub in an MRP Stage contrary to what has been said.
    It is a super good fork.. And, I know MRP is working on a 110Boost version that should be good for a 3.0 tire
    the Fox34+ fork is only available up to 140mm but it does have huge clearance and will handle up to a 27.5x3.8 Hodag

I'm hoping some new forks will be out soon.
    But, for now I don't know of anything to handle a 45mm rim and 3.0+ tire and can be had with 150 travel..
    Actually it does exist, I have a 2016 Fox 34 Plus Factory
    150mm , bought as a take off from a Specialized 6fattie.

mtbr member
    Sizing on this bike is very long. I'm usually a medium size with 5'8" and 30 inseam. But on this bike, they put me on a small. I actually didn't notice til the second day that I was on a small.
    That's good to know. I'm 5'7" and a really short inseam. I'm on a small Knolly Endorphin running a fairly long stem at 65mm. I had sized down from a Medium Nomad3. Since I'm running such a long stem on the Endo, I was thinking Medium for a Switchblade.

Francis, how long do you think the stem was on the bike you rode?

mtbr member
    Actually it does exist, I have a 2016 Fox 34 Plus Factory
    150mm , bought as a take off from a Specialized 6fattie.
    Really..
    I had thought it was a widened 29'er 51mm offset lower they used on that.. thus the 140/150 airshaft was the longest you could get.
    Sweet

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i'm told there will be a frame only option this fall next run
    I gernerally go with a frame or frame kit,like to spec my personal components,but my LBS gives me a 20% shop discount and usually even more generous on a new bike. Thinking the Xtr/Xt Pro 1X with Reynolds/I9 wheelset will be very doable for me and component package is really very good!

fc
    That's good to know. I'm 5'7" and a really short inseam. I'm on a small Knolly Endorphin running a fairly long stem at 65mm. I had sized down from a Medium Nomad3. Since I'm running such a long stem on the Endo, I was thinking Medium for a Switchblade.

Francis, how long do you think the stem was on the bike you rode?
    It was 50mm stem. It had room for a 150mm dropper too. Lots of exposed post and the seat tube is straight for good insert length too. I didn't even have to push the saddle back on the zero offset post.

This is me on a small. 780mm bars. Photos by Lear Miller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Switchblade-lm-pivot-switchblade_-7929.jpg  

Pivot Switchblade-lm-pivot-switchblade_-8549.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member

well they are already in shops
    I pedaled this Medium around the parking lot
    And, I'm really liking it.
    very good job Pivot !

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Sold my 429C on monday and had my parts list ready to order for the 429 trail I was planning to build, then this little baby was announced! Glad I waited a little before ordering all those parts (very unlike me). Getting my medium gloss blue delivered end of the week! I'm 5'10 w/ 32'' inseam. Will take pics and comment on size once I get it.

mtbr member
    It was 50mm stem. It had room for a 150mm dropper too. Lots of exposed post and the seat tube is straight for good insert length too. I didn't even have to push the saddle back on the zero offset post.

This is me on a small. 780mm bars. Photos by Lear Miller.
    I think this bike is perfect in M for me regarding the reach and TT #, which are only a touch longer then my L nomad.
    I am 5'8.5" on a large N
    3 and would go with a M switchblade.
    I really like steep ST, so I would most like push the seat all the way to the front and use a 30-40mm stem.
    Finally a nice sized bike from Pivot. They went from ultra short reach and slack ST on their previous bikes like M6, to perfect, at least in my eyes.
    WB is also very nice and the short Cs... Cant wait to demo this beast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    180mm bar? The build kits list 740mm. I would much prefer 780 so was that a custom option ?

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    The seat tube of the xl looks pretty short, i think the saddle must be very high from the top tube.
    As a leggy guy, these short seat tubes are getting a bit out of control. Pivot didn't debut the 429SL that long ago, with the XL having a 22" seat tube. Meanwhile, the M Switchblade 29 has a seat tube of 16.75". They have the same reach!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

well they are already in shops
    I pedaled this Medium around the parking lot
    And, I'm really liking it.
    very good job Pivot !

How tall are you and your inseam please.You like fit ?

mtbr member
    How tall are you and your inseam please.You like fit ?
    I'm 5'7" with a very short inseam.. Compared to a Med Nomad3 reach is noticeably longer.
    the stem spec on the Pro build was maybe 60-70mm so that was some of it too
    While I think I could make a Medium work for me.. I would order a Small.
    I'm on a small Knolly 27.5 Endo now and the small Switchblade numbers looks really close to that fit wise.

by the way, it looks like the Grand Canyon between those chain stays even with a 2.8 Recon living there

mtbr member
    As a leggy guy, these short seat tubes are getting a bit out of control. Pivot didn't debut the 429SL that long ago, with the XL having a 22" seat tube. Meanwhile, the M Switchblade 29 has a seat tube of 16.75". They have the same reach!
    I think they are trying to insure a longer dropper post can be used.
    170 posts should be available real soon..

fc
    Correct. It's all about the long dropper post compatibility now and in future. I'm only 5'8" but I hit a 170mm dropper now on a Nomad. Looks like I fit a 170mm too on the Switchblade Small and maybe medium.

Looks like they are gonna make longer insertion length droppers too for tall guys. 400mm and beyond.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    This bike is very intriguing

Grand Master Jedi
    Wow this bike is amazing!

I'm flabbergasted by the geo... That TT length is bananas! I'm happy to see it, but I'm definitely going to have to test ride one to figure out sizing! It's not like any bike I've ride before!

I'm also torn whether to build it with 29 or 27.5+! So many amazingly good options! ENVE's newly announced rims look awesome! The SuperBoost doesn't bother me as I haven't yet invested in new-school hubs so I'm fine. I'm happy to be able to run a 170mm dropper on the XL (34" inseam)!

This rig is SO far removed from what I've got, I think only the drivetrain could port over... And I don't know if I'd bother. Mind as well buy a complete bike at this point!

EXORCIZE
    I get that. It's unavoidable. But the consequence is the need for leggy riders to run super long seat posts on very expensive carbon fiber frames. I'm not the typical rider, but would choose the M Switchblade 29 for its 17.3" reach, which would put the top of my saddle 15" above the top of the seat tube. Having a short torso, Pivot had been one of the few brands that fit me well - they seemed to have changed their tune over night.

mtbr member
    I get that. It's unavoidable. But the consequence is the need for leggy riders to run super long seat posts on very expensive carbon fiber frames. I'm not the typical rider, but would choose the M Switchblade 29 for its 17.3" reach, which would put the top of my saddle 15" above the top of the seat tube. Having a short torso, Pivot had been one of the few brands that fit me well - they seemed to have changed their tune over night.
    I prefer the older geo vs. the newer geo that's all the rage, but that's what people are demanding so I can't blame Pivot for supplying it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Could the 3.25 tire setup replace a fatbike for snow riding?

mtbr member
    Could the 3.25 tire setup replace a fatbike for snow riding?
    Yes. If you can get by with 3.25" tires in the snow conditions you want to ride in.

People have ridden MTBs for years in snow with skinny tires so for sure it's possible, but the fact is a 3.25" tire is tiny compared to a 5" fatbike tire and will give you correspondingly less floatation.

So can you ride some snow with a 3.25" tire snow = yes. Will it be the same as a 4" or 5" fatbike tire = no.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

EXORCIZE
    I prefer the older geo vs. the newer geo that's all the rage, but that's what people are demanding so I can't blame Pivot for supplying it.
    I don't blame them either, but the rest of the industry has been migrating towards the new geo for years, while Pivot kept pumping out short reach bikes with slack STAs, sometimes with long chainstays. Their 27.5 XC rig has a 72d STA for God's sake! Don't ask me why. But to suddenly go do the polar opposite? From a brand/identity/philosophy point of view, it's a bit disconcerting, especially since the company has a single figurehead. None of this has anything to do with whether somebody should buy the Switchblade or not. Many will love it. Just saying...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I love it. Just curious why they spec a 740mm bar. On long front center bikes I found wider bars to work better, but hey I am sure they tested it.

mtbr member

Pivot Switchblade

I don't blame them either, but the rest of the industry has been migrating towards the new geo for years, while Pivot kept pumping out short reach bikes with slack STAs, sometimes with long chainstays. Their 27.5 XC rig has a 72d STA for God's sake! Don't ask me why. But to suddenly go do the polar opposite? From a brand/identity/philosophy point of view, it's a bit disconcerting, especially since the company has a single figurehead. None of this has anything to do with whether somebody should buy the Switchblade or not. Many will love it. Just saying...
    Pivot is amazeballs for pushing innovation forward. If you read the reviews, several of them talk about how this bike was in R/D even before the M6. One would assume that also meant the geometry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I love it. Just curious why they spec a 740mm bar. On long front center bikes I found wider bars to work better, but hey I am sure they tested it.
    Same bar probably for all sizes.

fc
    Pivot is amazeballs for pushing innovation forward. If you read the reviews, several of them talk about how this bike was in R/D even before the M6. One would assume that also meant the geometry.

It was 5 years in the making. They kept changing it and kept getting interrupted.

Final product may be the best Pivot ever.
    IPA will save America

fc
    740 is a big mistake for this kind of rowdy bike. Should be 780 and cut down if needed.

All the Santa Cruz bikes are now 780mm. Even the 5010 I believe.
    Last edited by fc; 05-30-2016 at 07:04 AM.
    IPA will save America

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    If you're placing a new order for a bike. You can request the 800mm bar instead. It's real easy, you only have to ask your dealer!

Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I wanted to try Pivot Switchblade but pulled a trigger on another similar bike, especially because I'm not that customer that will go back and forth with a 27.5+ and 29.

From Mojo 3 site:

"Itís like a SWITCHBLADE covered in Velcro. Razor-sharp handling meets ridiculous levels of traction and control. Itís dumbfounding, actually. - Vernon Felton, veteran journalist, writing for Adventure Journal"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergetrio View Post
    I wanted to try Pivot Switchblade but pulled a trigger on another similar bike, especially because I'm not that customer that will go back and forth with a 27.5+ and 29.
    There is no need to go back and forth on any of these bikes that can take 27+/29er wheels. If I were to get a SB I'd only ever use it in 29er mode.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Looking forward to demoing one of these in the near future. Was really excited when the SC Hightower was released.....however the bike left me underwhelmed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Looking forward to demoing one of these in the near future. Was really excited when the SC Hightower was released.....however the bike left me underwhelmed.
    What didnt you like about the HT? It would be nice to hear how these 2 compare.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I road the Hightower and it was awesome. Honestly the best plus bike I have personally ridden and I can imagine in 29 quite awesome. I want the switchblade but nothing but good things to say about the Hightower

mtbr member
    Could someone at Pivot let us know what the geo would be in 29er mode with the 15mm lower headset cup in place:

- BB Height
    - STA
    - HTA

In particular would be interesting. Thanks.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Could someone at Pivot let us know what the geo would be in 29er mode with the 15mm lower headset cup in place:

- BB Height
    - STA
    - HTA

Both geometries are posted on Pivot web site,and it's a 17mm lower cup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Both geometries are posted on Pivot web site,and it's a 17mm lower cup.
    I think he's asking what the 29'er would come up to if the 15mm cup (and it is 15mm based on the Pivot Website: SWITCHBLADE 27.5 w/15mm cup) were left installed when changing fork/wheels. i.e. saving the hassle of removing and reinstalling headset cups each time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    I think he's asking what the 29'er would come up to if the 15mm cup (and it is 15mm based on the Pivot Website: SWITCHBLADE 27.5 w/15mm cup) were left installed when changing fork/wheels. i.e. saving the hassle of removing and reinstalling headset cups each time.
    Stand corrected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i'll be going 27.5 plus no cup and 160 lyrik

mtbr member

Pivot Switchblade

It's not hard to figure the delta of this 17mm HS cup vs the stock 29er HS cup. If you add 10mm of stack at the HT it would slack the bike out another .5 degrees and approx. .25 at the ST. Take the stock 29er cup and subtract it from the 17mm cup. Take the difference of the two and divide that by 20 which will give you decimal equivalent of the HA change.
    Or google search for an online bike geometry calculator and plug in the numbers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    i'll be going 27.5 plus no cup and 160 lyrik
    My thoughts almost. Just add the cup and 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Also getting you:

- higher BB
    - slacker STA & HTA

Assuming you want any of those things. I'd be interested in that setup.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    It's not hard to figure the delta of this 17mm HS cup vs the stock 29er HS cup. If you add 10mm of stack at the HT it would slack the bike out another .5 degrees and approx. .25 at the ST. Take the stock 29er cup and subtract it from the 17mm cup. Take the difference of the two and divide that by 20 which will give you decimal equivalent of the HA change.
    Or google search for an online bike geometry calculator and plug in the numbers.
    Or just have the guy/gal at Pivot sitting next to the computer with the CAD file who already has this setup info programmed type it out for us.

I can take an educated guess, but since this is an approved setup from Pivot let's just have the numbers calculated the same way as the rest of geo charts for a solid comparison.

It's not a huge ask if you want to sell me a $6K - $10K bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Or just have the guy/gal at Pivot sitting next to the computer with the CAD file who already has this setup info programmed type it out for us.

I can take an educated guess, but since this is an approved setup from Pivot let's just have the numbers calculated the same way as the rest of geo charts for a solid comparison.

It's not a huge ask if you want to sell me a $6K - $10K bike.
    Agreed I was just giving you a hard time and it's really not hard to figure out especially for all of the geeky bike nerds. What'd did you call me? LOL
    I'll bet they won't have any issues selling these bikes in the first couple runs plus they're doing a very controlled release, full builds only and probably they're best dealers only. Pretty smart way to go in my mind.
    Better get your wallet out and get in line.

mtbr member
    The earliest I am buying a new bike is Jan 2017 so I am in no rush. I want to see some paying customer reviews and hopefully get a demo before I make my mind up.

Unless the complete bike spec & prices are uber compelling I'll end up buying a frame and building from part anyways.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    The earliest I am buying a new bike is Jan 2017 so I am in no rush. I want to see some paying customer reviews and hopefully get a demo before I make my mind up.

Unless the complete bike spec & prices are uber compelling I'll end up buying a frame and building from part anyways.
    That's my take as well and I'm in no rush to buy one. It does look very good so far. Depending on how it pedals and climbs it's weight is very similar to my Following which I'm in no hurry to get rid of (still diggin the hell out of it).
    I really can't buy full build bikes, I'm in the biz and get good deals on most everything I need, so I only build my own bikes.

fc
    Some moar pics!!!

157 hub and 142 hub side by side
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250008.jpg

Pivot uses the OneUp 45t cog added to the 11-42. It's a gradual step but the consistency ratio gets awkward.
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250023.jpg

Reynolds 40mm carbon rim here for the Plus. The 29er gets a 28mm rim methinks.
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250022.jpg

Rekon fornt and rear tire is an awesome choice.
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250021.jpg

Soft durometer frame protection is a great feature. Hole in the bottom is for a Di2 battery.

Pivot Switchblade-p5250017.jpg

tight clearances for the elaborate suspension clevis.Pivot Switchblade-p5250016.jpg

Tire clearance is enough for a real 3.25 Plus tire.
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250015.jpg

Chainring clearance is tight but they say it can handle a 36.
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250012.jpg

tire clearance again.
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250011.jpg

To provide better heel clearance than the Mach 4, the stays are curved drastically. 180mm rear rotor is max.
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250010.jpg

cassette and wheel.
    Pivot Switchblade-p5250024.jpg
    IPA will save America

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006

Pivot Switchblade

- BB Height
    - STA
    - HTA

I just confirmed with Chris. The geo with 29r wheels and the 17mm cup is exactly the same as with the 27.5+ wheels. The only difference is the BB will be .3 inches higher.

Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's my take as well and I'm in no rush to buy one. It does look very good so far. Depending on how it pedals and climbs it's weight is very similar to my Following which I'm in no hurry to get rid of (still diggin the hell out of it).
    I really can't buy full build bikes, I'm in the biz and get good deals on most everything I need, so I only build my own bikes.
    Same here. Waiting to see how the dust settles. Loving my Following still (simpley and awesome bike) but quite keen to ride both the Pivot but also the Mojo 3. Thinking the Mojo 3 may be the better bet as i think the Pivot may be too much bike for most of my riding

mtbr member
    You do realise it will be the same except for BB height as the B+ setup right? All you are doing is replacing the wheels, no other adjustments, so why would anything but the BB be different? BB will prob be 10-12mm taller than "standard" 29er setup.

- BB Height
    - STA
    - HTA

How could it be any different except for BB height?
    I just confirmed with Chris. The geo with 29r wheels and the 17mm cup is exactly the same as with the 27.5+ wheels. The only difference is the BB will be .3 inches higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the fotos. Hopefully the downtube protector is more durable than on the 429T. It started to peel after a couple of months of riding. The only way to enjoy this bike for me will be to buy the lowest tier build and replace everything or wait for the frame. I prefer sram for my 1x11 setup and love my guide ultimates. Also I prefer a 32 or 34 chainring. Not a fan of their bar and grips from a feel perspective. 29er rims a a bit too narrow and 27.5 rims a bit too wide for my liking to run 2.5 or 2.8, respectively. Also Lyrik over 36 for me. I am such a bike snob, but wish more companies would offer build kits like ibis with choices.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Hmmm. I could make do with the 27.5+ Di2 build. The only thing I would swap out would be the dropper. I would have to get another hub to build a 29er rear wheel. I'm currently on a Fuel EX and 429T. My concerns are:

1. Too much bike. Although Michaux and the Shed are rocky the more sustained downs out west are not here. Also I don't have the skills to push the limits of this bike. As you know a slack FS 29er going downhill can be exhilarating and also catastrophic. I have two similar bikes because usually one has some sort of maintenance issue. Even if the SB is a little more bike than what I need, will it be FUN JRA on longer rocky rides? A 10K backup bike collecting dust would be stupid on my part.

2. My Following was too slack for me on the tighter trails. It was also too light in the front on climbs. I have a very long inseam. Will the SB be more of the same?

3. It would be nice to get a little more mid range plush in the front. Not a fault of my 130mm 36 but it has to be able to absorb the bigger hits so it can feel a little chattery on choppy sections because of the higher speeds I'm able to attain on the newer slacker bikes. I wonder if there would be less wear and tear on my body. Or, would the extra suspension be negated by the equivalent amounts of transferred shock because I'm pushing harder?

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yup seems obvious now.

The 27+ geo with a 13.68" BB and 29er wheels makes the SB much more attractive to me.

I've got limited interest in a plus setup....especially since I can't use the 27.5 wheels from my Mach 6. I'm not building up a 3rd set of $$$ wheels for the limited benefits of plus tires.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

1. Too much bike. Although Michaux and the Shed are rocky the more sustained downs out west are not here. Also I don't have the skills to push the limits of this bike. As you know a slack FS 29er going downhill can be exhilarating and also catastrophic. I have two similar bikes because usually one has some sort of maintenance issue. Even if the SB is a little more bike than what I need, will it be FUN JRA on longer rocky rides? A 10K backup bike collecting dust would be stupid on my part.
    With that geo and a 150mm fork the SB is far more enduro/AM than it is trail. With the low BB it's not really practical to under fork it for a less aggressive ride.

That said the main issue is how it will handle mellow trails not that you will die tackling 50' gap jumps. I ride 160mm AM bikes and I only go as fast as I can ride in control without crashing [regularly]. Nothing about those bikes forces me to ride faster than I want or tackle features beyond my capabilities to ride despite the fact other more skilled riders could take the same bike and crush my descent times.

If your Evil Following was too slack for your trails I can't see any reason to buy a SB. It will be more of the same.

To your question about suspension you can tune most modern high end forks/shocks to feel quite different depending on the rider's wants. Just make sure you are buying the top tier versions with full adjustability. If you really need to a custom tune from Avalanche will get you pretty much anything realistic you want if you explain what you are after to Craig.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast