Results 1 to 86 of 86
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread

    Seeing as I couldnít find one, I thought Iíd start my own! Please feel free to add your bikes to the thread.

    Hereís mine, picked it up today weighing in at 22.2lbs on the shop scales and 21.03 on my Parkís. Once I added my pedals (flat Pedalling Innovations Catalysts), my Garmin mount, speed and cadence sensors, my TOGS and is swapped out the standard Fox thru axle for a Kabolt itís weighing 23.02. I can happily live with that, especially knowing that I can easily save a pound in the tyres alone, Iím using a relatively heavy pedal and the wheels could potentially shed some weight too. Itís definitely the lightest geared and suspended MTB Iíve owned so far!

    Hereís the spec:

    FRAME: Pivot Les 29 Large

    FORKS: 2018 Fox Factory Racing 32 Stepcast 100mm with Kabolt axle

    RIMS: Light Bicycle RM29C07 30mm

    HUBS: Hope Pro 4 Evo

    SPOKES: DT Swiss

    TYRES: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (these we supposed to be Ardent Race 2.35 but nevermind, Iíll see how I get on with them!)

    HANDLEBARS: Raceface Next 35 10mm Rise

    STEM: Raceface Turbine 35 60mm

    SPACERS: Hope

    GRIPS: ESI

    SEATPOST: Raceface Next SL

    SADDLE: Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon

    CRANKSET: Raceface Next SL

    CHAINRING: One Up Switch Traction Ring 34T

    BOTTOM BRACKET: Praxxis

    CHAIN: SRAM X1

    REAR DERAILIEUR: SRAM X01 11 Speed

    CASSETTE: SRAM XX1 11 Speed

    SHIFTER: Sram XO1

    BRAKES: Sram Guide RSC with 160mm Centreline discs








    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Just J; 11-09-2017 at 03:40 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    526
    Nice Looking Les
    Here is mine set up as SS
    RockShox SID XX 100mm with Remote Lockout.
    XTR Brakes (Front and Rear)
    Sram XX1 Crank.
    Raceface Narrow/ Wide Chainring (34 tooth)
    Chris King Single Speed Rear hub with "Fun Bolts"
    Niner 21 tooth rear cog.
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Front tire
    Easton EC90 Carbon Seat post
    Prologo X8 Saddle.

    Not sure of weight but it's light...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-size.jpg  


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skir991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    17
    Pro XT/XTR build. Size Small. I typically have a compulsion to change out the cockpit, but stock set-up feels good so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-91409d74-e019-4a8d-bf0c-ed68189ebecf.jpg  

    Pivot Les 29
    Yeti SB4.5c

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    148
    2017 Single Speed LES. Never weighed but its pretty light.



    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-img_3190.jpg

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    526
    the black logo's on black paint looks good


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3190.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	1166696[/QUOTE]

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    93
    V1 Les, small frame, SS
    Carbon Roval wheels
    Maxxis Forekaster front/rear
    XT Brakes
    32/19 gearing with Wolftooth oval chainring
    Just hair under 20 lbs. of simple fast fun!

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-img_1970.jpg

  7. #7
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    Some great looking bikes for sure! Here are the deets on mine...

    FRAME: Pivot v.1 Les 29 Small

    FORKS: 2014 Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 120mm

    RIMS: DT Swiss XM 481

    HUBS: Hope Pro 4 Evo

    SPOKES: DT Swiss

    TIRES: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 f / Vittoria Mezcal 2.35 r

    HANDLEBARS: Santa Cruz carbon flat bar

    STEM: Chromag Ranger 80mm

    SPACERS: No clue but black carbon something or other

    GRIPS: ESI Chunky

    SEATPOST: Raceface Next SL

    SADDLE: Anvl Forge Ti (great unknown saddle FWIW)

    CRANKSET: SLX 175

    CHAINRING: One Up Switch Traction Ring 34T

    BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano

    CHAIN: kmc x11 93

    REAR DERAILIEUR: XT 8000 when I run one

    CASSETTE: XT 8000 when I run one. Endless 20t cog at the moment

    SHIFTER: XT 8000 when geared

    BRAKES: XT 180f/160r

    PEDALs: XT with a little platform

    Not sure what the weight is. Probably 21-22 ishPivot Les photos and Spec thread-les1.jpgPivot Les photos and Spec thread-les2.jpg

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Thanks for adding your pics and details guys, I hope we can keep them coming.

    I had a quick spin around my neighbourhood today and this thing feels rapid, canít wait to get it out on some proper trails tomorrow!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Definitely likes to party!! First real ride out today and I can tell that itís just what I wanted, something that could bridge the gaps between my cross bike and my Switchblade!


















    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    My new Pivot Les 29 setup for Bikepacking events.
    1st ride today.



    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    My new Pivot Les 29 setup for Bikepacking events.
    1st ride today.



    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Would like to see better pictures of the bike packing setup.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Would like to see better pictures of the bike packing setup.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    That's coming with time


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    I posted in the 'randomly bought' thread but mine I got as a 27.5+ 'Race' low end build with the 120mm Fox 34 fork and excellent fox dropper.

    Size Large it weighs in at 27 lbs.

    My Ibis 935/i9 wheelset just showed up today. I've got XTR centerlocks and 29x2.35 nobby nic speedgrip on the way. That's should shave 1.5 lbs I think.

    SS kit on the way as well.

    So far I really like it. Climbs really well even with the heavy wheels/tires. Nice smooth descending hardtail, it rocks a flow trail!

    Overweight + pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-20171111_180016579_ios.jpg  

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-les_snow.jpg  

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-les3.jpg  

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-20171111_174056675_ios.jpg  


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    Just out riding after work.
    It's great that summer is here 🤠


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    Got a buddy that's over in Sydney right now, he's torturing me with beach pics on facebook. I'm just happy I've got ONE day this week that it's not raining, even if it's gonna be chilly at the start of the ride.

  16. #16
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    So.... I got my wheelset in friday but not tires or brakes. I decided riding that way wasn't a good idea so I rode the 27.5+.

    Tires came in today after my ride so I mounted them up and weighed everything. HFS! The new wheel/tire combo is 2 lbs lighter. Yes, 2 freakin POUNDS of rotating mass. The bike should sit right at 25 lbs with the rotors on, they're here monday.

    Also should note, the 27.5+ maxxis ikon+ 2.8's are pretty awesome on wet PacNW dirt. But on wet rocks and roots they're sketchy AF. I had some 'holy shit!' moments riding our local gnar-xc/AM/whatever trails today. Happy to have the Nics on there for the next ride even at 2.35.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-20171119_012734272_ios.jpg  


  17. #17
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    Amazing the difference lighter tires make. I was playing around with my 5.7C this week. Been running an e*13 TRS/Morsa combo on it for a bit but decided to throw some lighter tires on a spare wheelset and try it out. Probably only a lb or so difference but boy did it feel like more! I can't imagine how much better losing 2 lbs of rubber would feel. And FYI, the Vittoria Peyote is a surprising good, lightweight tire FWIW.

  18. #18
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    I did ride with the new hoops on. 9 minutes faster off the hour-ish ride up the same hill as on the 27.5+, lol! And I was hungover. for longer rides the diff will be HUGE. During the winter I also plan on throwing carbon handlebars and a set of lighter carbon cranks on, then it'll be complete and should be right at 24 lbs.

    I had forgotten all about bikes since snowboard season started.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    I did ride with the new hoops on. 9 minutes faster off the hour-ish ride up the same hill as on the 27.5+, lol! And I was hungover. for longer rides the diff will be HUGE. During the winter I also plan on throwing carbon handlebars and a set of lighter carbon cranks on, then it'll be complete and should be right at 24 lbs.

    I had forgotten all about bikes since snowboard season started.
    Ha! That's awesome! You can't beat a nice fast 29" wheel!

  20. #20
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    A few changes to mine. I threw on some DMR Vault flats and switched out the stock 90mm stem for a 55mm. LOVE the shorter stem. Love the flats for that matter. Dunno really how this bike would perform in some gnar, but on a flow trail it rips pretty good.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-olallie.jpg  


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Cool video!

    I'm really enjoying how the Les turns regular flow or even tame trails into fast fun! I went out on mine on Sunday and every time I ride it I love just how fast the thing scrambles up hills and across the flats. It's also pretty handy going down! I'm also on flat pedals, they tend to make bikes even more fun, but that's another argument!

  22. #22
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,273
    Quick question here guys! Regarding fork offset...

    I just obtained a brand new LES frame and plan on building it up and riding/racing it strictly in 29'er mode with a 100mm RockShox Sid. I notice that Pivot currently specs Fox forks with a 44mm offset according to their website on their complete bikes. The SID is available in 42, 46, and 51 offsets. So the stock Fox is right inbetween the SID's 42 and 46 offsets.

    Most likely going to go with the 46 offset, but just curious if anyone else here was in a similar situation and what they ended up going with and why.

  23. #23
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    BTW, the blue Chromag Ranger 80 mm stem in this photo is no longer being used if anyone is interested. New bike coming into the fold so I had to swap some things around. Message me for details.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    Out testing my Bikepacking setup for an upcoming Bikepacking event
    in New Zealand called Tour Aotearoa


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    Update on mine. I missed a good chunk of snowboard season due to a back injury. Part of the rehab was sitting on Zwift and getting my fitness back to normal levels. I did a ride on my FS and my back was tightening up a little on the way back, but it was just fine to pedal standing. I know a solution to that problem!

    Seriously the best dropout/tension method I've ever used on an SS. Being able to match up the sides click by click makes for an amazingly simple setup. Can't wait for the weekend to give it a proper workout!

    I'm running 30/18 which is probably good since I'm old and I generally do 2 hour, 2000 vertical type rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-img_8681.jpg  

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-img_8684.jpg  


  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    So an update of my Pivot Les
    Photo of my bike the day before my start date of Tour Aotearoa.

    I'm now liking my Pivot Les alot more, so comfortable riding hours on my Aerobars etc.

    The bike fit worked out so well for my thanks to a full BG Bikefit/Retul

    🤠

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    So an update of my Pivot Les
    Photo of my bike the day before my start date of Tour Aotearoa.

    I'm now liking my Pivot Les alot more, so comfortable riding hours on my Aerobars etc.

    The bike fit worked out so well for my thanks to a full BG Bikefit/Retul

    🤠

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I would say, nice Les, but I can't actually see it!

    I have been meaning to ask you, how does it rate against your Jones? I find the my Les to be one of the most comfortable non-plus hardtails I have ridden but I was surprised to see you with one given your ownership of one of JJ's finest...

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I would say, nice Les, but I can't actually see it!

    I have been meaning to ask you, how does it rate against your Jones? I find the my Les to be one of the most comfortable non-plus hardtails I have ridden but I was surprised to see you with one given your ownership of one of JJ's finest...
    Hi Just J
    So after having and riding 3 Jones bike's I have worked out that for short rides they are Ok.

    But for 100+ km days in a bikepacking event they are not!

    If only Jeff made a 30į or less Loop H-Bars?

    I'm going to be selling off my Jones 23" Plus bike.

    I have tried with 3 different models and sizes.

    If you're in New Zealand it's for sale.

    If you are outside of New Zealand I'm not interested in selling it overseas.

    If you're interested in a Jones for yourself or have one?

    So I love my Pivot Les 29 a 100% more.

    P

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Hi Just J
    So after having and riding 3 Jones bike's I have worked out that for short rides they are Ok.

    But for 100+ km days in a bikepacking event they are not!

    If only Jeff made a 30į or less Loop H-Bars?

    I'm going to be selling off my Jones 23" Plus bike.

    I have tried with 3 different models and sizes.

    If you're in New Zealand it's for sale.

    If you are outside of New Zealand I'm not interested in selling it overseas.

    If you're interested in a Jones for yourself or have one?

    So I love my Pivot Les 29 a 100% more.

    P

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hi Peter, thank you for your reply.

    I have always been interested in Joneses but never pulled the trigger on one for one reason or another. The closest I have been to it was running some H-Bars on a Dekerf Implant about 14 years ago. When I came to buy a Space-frame, I ended up having a Waltworks built for me instead and I'm 100% happy with that bike. However, I am really interested to hear your thoughts on the Jones v's the Les.

    It's really good to hear that you like the Les so much, I really like mine too!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    930
    Small LES SS. Nox Kitsuma 27.5 wheels, Ardent Race 27.5 x 2.6 F/R, AB Oval ring, 32-18 gear, Syntace stem, ENVE bar, SRAM Guide Ultimate brakes, Fabric ALM (blue lettering) saddle. I just put on the Niner carbon rigid fork, gonna try that out and see if my hands and wrists enjoy it. Had a Fox 34 120mm on before that I can switch back in in about 5 minutes.Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-sl90cztzt0q31fthhdlkkw.jpg
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

  31. #31
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    ^^ That bike is dope! Gotta be pretty light for a + bike too, especially with the rigid fork.

    I got my converted SS out finally. Had to ignore it for a while cause snowboard season is still going.

    I did 1800 vertical, set some PRs and generally had an awesome time! Not gonna lie and say there weren't a few steep switchbacks I stalled out on, but that's SS, ride or walk.

    Coulda gone some more fo sho, but too much snow. Once this trail is fully melted I should be fit enough to grind out the whole thing which is 2500+ vert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-olallie4.jpg  

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-olallie2.jpg  

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-olallie1.jpg  


  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeguy0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Small LES SS. Nox Kitsuma 27.5 wheels, Ardent Race 27.5 x 2.6 F/R, AB Oval ring, 32-18 gear, Syntace stem, ENVE bar, SRAM Guide Ultimate brakes, Fabric ALM (blue lettering) saddle. I just put on the Niner carbon rigid fork, gonna try that out and see if my hands and wrists enjoy it. Had a Fox 34 120mm on before that I can switch back in in about 5 minutes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL90cztZT0q31FThHdLkkw.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	1190204
    Sweet bike. Is that a 29 or 27.5 frame?

    I'm looking to buy a large 27.5 frame and run those exact tires.
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    A quick stop for dinner in this year's Tour Aotearoa in New Zealand.
    At about 600 km's.
    Comfort, Speed, Fun.


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    A quick stop for dinner in this year's Tour Aotearoa in New Zealand.
    At about 600 km's.
    Comfort, Speed, Fun.


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thatís awesome! So cool to see Lesís being used in different ways.

    After this ride, I succumbed and fitted a dropper post to mine last week.







    My new wheels should be turning up soon...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    Thanks
    I ended up putting out after 800 km's.
    Brain fatigue from head injury 5 months ago, next time.
    TA is all up 3000 km's that's about 6000 miles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Thatís awesome! So cool to see Lesís being used in different ways.

    After this ride, I succumbed and fitted a dropper post to mine last week.







    My new wheels should be turning up soon...
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Thatís awesome! So cool to see Lesís being used in different ways.

    After this ride, I succumbed and fitted a dropper post to mine last week.

    My new wheels should be turning up soon...
    Dropper makes the bike pretty legit. I took mine down some steeps saturday that I'd have had to have my stomach on the seat to get down if not for the fox transfer.

  37. #37
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    Agree on the dropper. I love the way the bike looks with a traditional post, but I love the way it rides better with a dropper. My favorite local trail recently added some flow trails with some nice tables and jumps and being able to drop the seat definitely makes it a much more fun ride!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Yeah, I'm glad I went with the dropper, I've used them for years on my other bikes but I was determined this bike was going to be full on XC but once I started riding it and realising the capabilities, I also realised that the dropper would add so much more to my riding on this bike too. I went with a One Up post and it has been fantastic, very light lever, but positive and such a lovey smooth action.

    I knew my Les would come into her own once the summer hit, when big tyres don't matter quite as much and the trails run faster. It's rapidly becoming my go to bike of the moment!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    143
    Here's my newly finished SS Les.
    Weight came in at 18.2 pounds.
    2018 Pivot Les medium
    Lauf tr boost fork
    Xx1 crankset, Stages power meter
    Enve swp carbon bars
    Niner rdo stem
    Niner rdo seatpost
    Cane creek 110 headset
    Carbonfan rims, DT comp race spokes, Industry 9
    Torch hubs
    Wtb volt carbon rail saddle
    Xtr race brakes
    Xtr pedals
    Xtr rotors
    Absolute black chainring and cog
    Kmc x10 chain
    Continental race king rear tire
    Schwalbe rocket ron front tire
    I9 Matchstix thru axle/ multi tool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-img_20180515_222506_357.jpg  


  40. #40
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Anybody 5'10" on a Large?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    Are you very long in the body?
    Have you not looked up the F.A.Q about bike sizing?
    I normally write a medium size bike on the pivot Les I might a small just the right size.

    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Anybody 5'10" on a Large?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Anybody 5'10" on a Large?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Walt, I'm 5'10 also and would ride a large LES as an SS..

    If geared, I would get a medium.

    If you get a frame and want to go SS, be sure to ask the shop to order the SS kit. Its a separate kit from the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  43. #43
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971 View Post
    Hey Walt, I'm 5'10 also and would ride a large LES as an SS..

    If geared, I would get a medium.

    If you get a frame and want to go SS, be sure to ask the shop to order the SS kit. Its a separate kit from the frame.
    Yeah, I figured a Medium, if geared, but saw a great deal come up on SteveBay for a tricked out Large (geared). Looking at the geo measurements, it's pretty damn similar to my Med Optimus Ti - seat tube is 1" longer on the Les, and stack is .8" longer on the Les, TT is .3" longer on the Les, HT is .6" longer on the Les. However, the wheelbase is a full inch longer on the OpTi, and the Reach is 1.5" longer on the Optimus. That all makes me think that I'd could fit on a Large, by adjusting the seatpost and stem, as needed. Thoughts?
    Ride more; post less...

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,529
    For me, the large is too big for a bike for me where I'm going to be in a static pedalling position. On an SS, I tend to "float" over the saddle and the seating position isnt as important. I always thought you were taller than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  45. #45
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971 View Post
    For me, the large is too big for a bike for me where I'm going to be in a static pedalling position. On an SS, I tend to "float" over the saddle and the seating position isnt as important. I always thought you were taller than me.
    Right...I tower over you! LOL!

    Thanks for the feedback! Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    Ride more; post less...

  46. #46
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Anybody know the torque specs for the seatpost collar? I canít find them listed anywhere. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Anybody know the torque specs for the seatpost collar? I canít find them listed anywhere. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    On mine, the torque (5nm if my memory serves me) is etched on the underside of the actual collar.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Yup 5nm!...


  49. #49
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    On mine, the torque (5nm if my memory serves me) is etched on the underside of the actual collar.
    Mine isn't, but thank you!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Mine isn't, but thank you!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No problem, 5nm is really low for a seat collar, I'd be confident enough with using that as a basis to go off...

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    No problem, 5nm is really low for a seat collar, I'd be confident enough with using that as a basis to go off...
    This is the standard pool torque setting for most carbon bike's.
    Some say 5.1 nm.


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  52. #52
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    This is the standard pool torque setting for most carbon bike's.
    Some say 5.1 nm.


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thanks...I donít want to do my usual gorilla tightening, and risk damaging the carbon seat tube.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  53. #53
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    Anybody else starting to have BB creak? Noticed it last ride, definitely this ride too.

    Oh yeah, the ride was pretty good too. 3k+ vertical, up then down!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-les1.jpg  


  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread

    New wheels on my Les, Reynolds 249TRS, this things spins up unbelievably fast now! XC-rad!!










  55. #55
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    Nice looking bike! I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade to some carbon hoops for mine.

  56. #56
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread

    Finally getting a post up here, after pulling the trigger on a new-to-me, lightly used (~300 miles) 2017 LES. I absolutely love this thing; the lightest bike Iíve ever owned or ridden, and the perfect complement to the other two bikes in my stable: a Vassago Optimus Ti 29+ SS and an Intense Primer Elite FS trailbike.

    Size is Large, and you may have seen me post earlier in the thread about sizing. I was concerned this might be too big, but it fits me perfectly. As a matter of fact, the geo measurements of the cockpit are very close to those of my Large Primer.

    Specs as follows:
    LES frame (LARGE) BOOST Rear, Black Carbon, ghost lime accents
    Fox FLOAT Factory Kashima 32 fork, non-Boost, with green Wolf Tooth 15x100 thru-axle
    Raceface NEXT FAT carbon handbar
    Raceface NEXT carbon seat post
    Pivot team saddle (a WTB Volt)
    Raceface Turbine 75mm stem
    Chris King Headset
    SRAM Guide RS Brakes (Gen 2)
    SRAM Centerline X disks, 180mm f/r
    SRAM XO1 Drivetrain, XX1 Chain, XX1 DOME 10-46 Cassette
    Raceface Bottom Bracket
    NEXT Cinch Carbon Crank with ano green 34T narrow wide chain ring
    ESI Fat grip Silicone Grips, Lime Green
    NOX Teocalli 29 Offset Carbon Rims (i26mm) w/ I9 Hubs & Sapim Race spokes w/ lime green nipples.
    MAXXIS Ikon tires 2.35 f/2.20 r, tubeless, 20 PSI f/24 PSI r
    Shimano XTR M9000 mountain pedals
    Blackburn carbon bottle cages, with small, light pump mounted to one (I like to have a pump as backup to CO2)

    Weight including everything above: 22.40 lbs.

    Additional accessories:
    Outvi Possum under-saddle wrap w/tube, tire levers, CO2 head and cartridges, multi-tool, tire boot and bacon strips
    K-Edge stem mount for Wahoo ELEMNT
    Quad-Lock bar mount for phone





    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by waltaz; 06-09-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    Ride more; post less...

  57. #57
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Finally got the pics up...love the bike!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  58. #58
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    Waltaz, glad to see you find the Les. I spend some time on the Intense forums as well and was thinking when you were posting prior to purchasing your Primer that you had a SS'er mentality that you would really enjoy something like the Les, but I didn't want to be that guy that has the 'my bike is the best' mentality It really is an awesome bike and can have so many personalities. After riding mine, my friend pick one up and he went full on weight weenie while I kind of went the trail route. We both feel like we are cheating when we ride this thing. So go pick up the Swinger kit to add to your future upgrades!

  59. #59
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Waltaz, glad to see you find the Les. I spend some time on the Intense forums as well and was thinking when you were posting prior to purchasing your Primer that you had a SS'er mentality that you would really enjoy something like the Les, but I didn't want to be that guy that has the 'my bike is the best' mentality It really is an awesome bike and can have so many personalities. After riding mine, my friend pick one up and he went full on weight weenie while I kind of went the trail route. We both feel like we are cheating when we ride this thing. So go pick up the Swinger kit to add to your future upgrades!
    Yeah, I definitely feel like Iím cheating when I ride it...itís so light and stiff, and the power goes right to the wheels! I really love the ride, and it is so different from my Ti SS and my Primer FS bikes. Perfect changeup, depending on what Iím riding. And yes, I may run it as SS at some point, but right now, liking the geared HT option.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  60. #60
    Over it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,781
    I'm looking to pick up a hardtail this summer and the Les in on the shortlist. I still want to be able to hit some small jumps/drops and steeps, so I'm looking at a 120 fork. Anybody have any experience with that setup, especially in the Santa Cruz area? Thanks!
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

  61. #61
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    I run mine with a 120 fork and have no issue taking it off small drops and tables. In N GA, so I can't really help on the Santa Cruz comparison though . Seriously, this bike has a lot of possible personalities and does just fine in a trail configuration.

  62. #62
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    I have the 120 fox 34 and a dropper on mine. Does great on little hits, just be smooth on your landings and don't huck 4+ feet to flat.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skir991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    17
    I liked my Les 29 so much I purchased a 2nd one...Due to new work opportunity, going to be splitting time between SoCal & Florida, so I thought Iíd keep a Les 29 in each locale. Going to keep the 100mm in Florida and the 120mm in Ca. Original Les was stock 100mm pro xt/xtr build. Ordered the 2nd Les w/120mm fork & 27.5+. Ended up not liking the 27.5+ despite faster dh Strava times & comparable climb times. The fatter tires felt too heavy & not as fun. Added a Fox dropper post & switched out wheels to I9 270ís. Have run thru a combo of tires, 2.6 rekon/2.4 ardent, 2.35 ardent race/2.35 ikon. Found I like the 2.4 ardent/2.35 ikon combo the best for where & how I ride. Adding the dropper post made an already fun bike that much more fun & capable to me. My other bike is a Yeti SB4.5c & I find myself always taking out the Les & leaving the 4.5c home. Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-9deda1ec-6d37-413a-a97f-d8e0ea3a13e6.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-aff37d12-a712-49ec-9fb6-0bf165192c3a.jpg  

    Pivot Les 29
    Yeti SB4.5c

  64. #64
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Skir991 View Post
    I liked my Les 29 so much I purchased a 2nd one...Due to new work opportunity, going to be splitting time between SoCal & Florida, so I thought Iíd keep a Les 29 in each locale. Going to keep the 100mm in Florida and the 120mm in Ca. Original Les was stock 100mm pro xt/xtr build. Ordered the 2nd Les w/120mm fork & 27.5+. Ended up not liking the 27.5+ despite faster dh Strava times & comparable climb times. The fatter tires felt too heavy & not as fun. Added a Fox dropper post & switched out wheels to I9 270ís. Have run thru a combo of tires, 2.6 rekon/2.4 ardent, 2.35 ardent race/2.35 ikon. Found I like the 2.4 ardent/2.35 ikon combo the best for where & how I ride. Adding the dropper post made an already fun bike that much more fun & capable to me. My other bike is a Yeti SB4.5c & I find myself always taking out the Les & leaving the 4.5c home. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9DEDA1EC-6D37-413A-A97F-D8E0EA3A13E6.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	1204330
    Nice! What does that weigh?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skir991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Nice! What does that weigh?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    23.83 lbs.(size small. Pro Xt/XTR build, Fox Factory Dropper, HT Component ME03t pedals). My 100mm Les(size small, no dropper, eggbeater 3 pedals) weighs in at 21.72lbs. Having so much fun on this bike.
    Pivot Les 29
    Yeti SB4.5c

  66. #66
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    I'm looking to build up a carbon HT as a XC bike. FS frame designs come and go, but a good HT should stand the test of time.

    The tire clearance listed by Pivot seems overly conservative (29x2.3) based on what I see others running in these threads. I'd like to easily fit a 2.35 to 2.4" on an i27 rim at most. Doable?

    Any downsides to this frame? I'm cool with the PF92. The SS drops would be nice in a 142 but...

    I'm looking for large newest model year, frame only.

  67. #67
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    I run a large, current model. In 29er form Iím running nobby nic 2.35 and there is room to spare. I see you posted in the other thread where people are running some pretty wide tires. I think you'll be just fine.
    Last edited by big_slacker; 07-27-2018 at 06:57 AM.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    81
    So many nice looking Les builds!

    I can see a lot of you are running 34T chainrings with no trouble. Does anyone know the biggest chainring that will fit? Thanks!

  69. #69
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    A few from yesterday's ride, a bike smoky up here in western washington!

    I've got an Ibis Mojo HD4 coming so it's back to 29er and SS when it gets in. No need to ride the Les on the gnar, it'll be back to XC/trail duties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-olallie.jpg  

    Pivot Les photos and Spec thread-smoky.jpg  

    Last edited by big_slacker; 1 Week Ago at 10:52 AM.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Awesome pics! ^^^

    Speaking of chainrings, Iíve just put a new Raceface Oval 34T on mine. Feels great.

    Iíve also just finished adding some SRAM Level Ultimates. I can pretty much say that this bike is exactly how I want it now. Itís also under 20lbs without pedals which Iím more than happy with. My pedals are huge and itís hardly fair to weigh it with them on!

























    Definitely NOT AN E-BIKE. But probably faster!

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by akindofbrian View Post
    So many nice looking Les builds!

    I can see a lot of you are running 34T chainrings with no trouble. Does anyone know the biggest chainring that will fit? Thanks!
    Iíd say 36 would definitely be fine and 38 too probably but I know of someone using one as a CX bike, Iíll see what I can find out.

    33111426_10156239950689351_5036340425804218368_n.j pg
    Last edited by Just J; 08-20-2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Updated with link to the CX Les!

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Iíd say 36 would definitely be fine and 38 too probably but I know of someone using one as a CX bike, Iíll see what I can find out.

    33111426_10156239950689351_5036340425804218368_n.j pg
    Wow, you guys are fast. Awesome stuff.

    I definitely don't need anything mega big. But I live in the flat/rolling areas of the midwest US and like to hit up some long gravel sometimes, too. So a 34 would probably be great, 36 really great. I won't need any bigger.

    I just somehow read their FAQ wrong and thought only a 32 would fit. But I was wrong. Thanks for setting me straight!

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by akindofbrian View Post
    Wow, you guys are fast. Awesome stuff.

    I definitely don't need anything mega big. But I live in the flat/rolling areas of the midwest US and like to hit up some long gravel sometimes, too. So a 34 would probably be great, 36 really great. I won't need any bigger.

    I just somehow read their FAQ wrong and thought only a 32 would fit. But I was wrong. Thanks for setting me straight!
    No worries! I find 34 on this bike to be really good with SRAM 11x. We have some pretty steep climbs which I still manage with no issues.

  74. #74
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    Under 20 lbs, damn that's light!

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Under 20 lbs, damn that's light!
    Itís just a hair under 19 lbs 13 oz IIRC but Iím taking it!

  76. #76
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Race Face 34T in ano green...10-42 cassette.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  77. #77
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    I can't imagine mine Les being that light...and with a dropper no less! Seriously, mine is 23 as a SS. Not that I'm that worried about it. Ripped up the trails on it this morning just fine. But I'd have to spend a ton to drop that kind of weight!

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    I can't imagine mine Les being that light...and with a dropper no less! Seriously, mine is 23 as a SS. Not that I'm that worried about it. Ripped up the trails on it this morning just fine. But I'd have to spend a ton to drop that kind of weight!
    I wouldnít worry about it either, theyíre awesome bikes at 20 or 26 lbs!

  79. #79
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,244
    Update on my build. Came across a great deal on a Enve M630/King wheelset that I couldn't say no to Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I'm imagining a 1.25 lb drop in rotating weight will be noticeable.

  80. #80
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    Getting ready to sell my Les, any suggestions on where to do so? Ebay has crazy fees, local I just worry about sketchy bike thieves of which we have many.

  81. #81
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Getting ready to sell my Les, any suggestions on where to do so? Ebay has crazy fees, local I just worry about sketchy bike thieves of which we have many.
    Pinkbike


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  82. #82
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Pinkbike


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yup, ended up posting it there.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seandm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Yup, ended up posting it there.
    What bike did you end up switching to? I have been riding a Les since 2012 and have been looking for a new bike myself - I have been riding pivots non-stop since 2008. Looking to see if there is anything else out there that is innovative and different but so far no luck.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Yup, ended up posting it there.
    Agree. Just bought my new-to-me Les a few weeks ago from a Pinkbike ad. Great experience. Good luck with your sale!

  85. #85
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    What bike did you end up switching to? I have been riding a Les since 2012 and have been looking for a new bike myself - I have been riding pivots non-stop since 2008. Looking to see if there is anything else out there that is innovative and different but so far no luck.
    I've got an Ibis Mojo HD4 that I'm lovin for the gnar. After I sell the Les I'm trying to decide on either a more burly hardtail (Diamondback's new sync'r pro carbon coming out soon) or possibly a shorter travel trail bike.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    57
    Any of you swap between 100 and 120 forks on your LES while leaving the wheel size at 29. If so did you feel the need to change the cockpit (stem length, bars, stem angle) to compensate for the change in stack and reach?

Similar Threads

  1. Need feedback on LES / Les Fat
    By Bosco1911 in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 04:49 AM
  2. Pivot LES - Reviews?
    By blum585 in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 08-16-2016, 05:42 AM
  3. Shimano i-spec mashup (i-spec B brakes with i-spec a shifters)
    By FM in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 09:40 AM
  4. Pivot Les 27.5 and Yeti ARC Carbon!!
    By procos in forum 27.5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 09:14 PM
  5. Crank and Chainring compatability with a Pivot Les?
    By ChilliconKENNY in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Members who have read this thread: 159

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.