Pinkbike review Mach 4 SL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Pinkbike review Mach 4 SL

Freezer
    Yeah, not too complimentary. One thing to note is that PB used control tires which makes sense to take tires out of the equation when comparing bikes, but on 4SL a DHF/DHRII really don't make sense. Not that more XC tires would have changed any of their critique points however.

mtbr member
    I agree with the "short reach" comments. I recall when the T429 came out and a number of us said: they should have went even longer.

(Except the FB29...which is still one of the best bikes I've ridden).

Freezer
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I agree with the "short reach" comments. I recall when the T429 came out and a number of us said: they should have went even longer.

(Except the FB29...which is still one of the best bikes I've ridden).
    Yep, agree on both points 200%. Had a 429SL, and while it was fast as hell, I never really liked the geometry. Have a FB29 now and it is a truly spectacular bike, and makes my last two bikes (Yetis) feel like toys.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Crazy review... they tested the exact same setup 6 months ago and loved it. The two things they seem to dislike the most now - geo and Live Valve, were big positives back then:

"The geometry feels spot-on, at least for the faster trails where we rode: stable and composed at high speed, but nimble enough for rapid-fire turns without requiring too much handlebar wrestling."

"This was admittedly my first time on Live Valve, but to be perfectly honest, it totally ruined me."

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...mach-4-sl.html

Oh well...
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    both reviews were written by two different riders, so it’s good that they have the chance to share their opinions and not be bound by a “pinkbike” opinion regarding the bike!

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    both reviews were written by two different riders, so it’s good that they have the chance to share their opinions and not be bound by a “pinkbike” opinion regarding the bike!
    The article that was linked was written by James Huang - the same guy who did the Field test video.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The title of the article was something like XC Race Thoroughbred or some such and those yahoos went and complained about its' XC geometry. For the f'ing love. Comparing it to "Down-country" and trail bikes. It's a freakin' XC bike! Apples and oranges and stuff......
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

Formerly of Kent
    The entire series is hot garbage.

Also, I don’t know how the hell they managed to get not one but two $8-10k XC bikes to weigh almost 27lbs.
    Death from Below.

Rider
    Nov 2019
    I like bikemag's Bible of bike tests series much better. When I finish a pinkbike review I don't feel like I know the bike very well.

Also I'm not sold on the advantages of DW for a short travel bike. Single pivot works great and is lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    The article that was linked was written by James Huang - the same guy who did the Field test video.
    My bad I did not read the latest article and assumed the bad words were coming from Sarah Moore!

mtbr member
    This test is just dumb. Why would you put a 1300g front and 955g DH tires on a XC bike and do a test. Its like testing a 911 GT3 with SUV tires!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked View Post
    This test is just dumb. Why would you put a 1300g front and 955g DH tires on a XC bike and do a test. Its like testing a 911 GT3 with SUV tires!
    Overkill indeed, but the Minion DHF 2.5 EXO+ is 1075 g and the DHRII 2.4 EXO+ is 1010 g. They aren't DH tires, but they are Enduro tires. Should've just used EXO for this group, and perhaps a 2.4 front, 2.3 rear setup.

Downcountry: EXO
    Trail: EXO+
    Enduro: DD

I have a 2.4 DHRII EXO front and 2.4 Ardent EXO rear on mine at the moment.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

mtbr member
    What seems dumb about this review is to ride the bike a bit outside of it's intended purpose, then downgrade it for not performing well.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    After having ridden mine extensively in both 100mm and 120mm up front, I've decided FOR ME it's a bit better in the 100mm version. I rode it on some rockier, steeper stuff with the 120 SC fork and feel it couldn't keep up with my Yet SB100 (which I sold due to SI issues). It bounced around more and couldn't keep as good a line. With the 100mm SC fork, the geo feels better with a still-decently slack HTA and steeper STA and it just rails through tight, twisty stuff I ride most frequently. Like a good XC bike should feel. It just seems more balanced to me in 100mm guise up front. JMO.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    After having ridden mine extensively in both 100mm and 120mm up front, I've decided FOR ME it's a bit better in the 100mm version. I rode it on some rockier, steeper stuff with the 120 SC fork and feel it couldn't keep up with my Yet SB100 (which I sold due to SI issues). It bounced around more and couldn't keep as good a line. With the 100mm SC fork, the geo feels better with a still-decently slack HTA and steeper STA and it just rails through tight, twisty stuff I ride most frequently. Like a good XC bike should feel. It just seems more balanced to me in 100mm guise up front. JMO.
    I think you have a valid point. I parking lot test rode with mtb shoes/pedals 10 min each 120 fork xt/xtr mach4SL 67.5 HTA 760mm flat bars & Blur TR 110 68.5 HTA 740mm flat bars today, both size Medium. Suspension on both setup to my weight 165lbs. I know I know it is not a real world test but can't find any of these bikes to test on a trail locally here in NJ.

Anyway, the 120 fork Pivot felt very sluggish in handling. It was too slow in response for my taste when simulating sharp switchback turns. It felt like needed a larger turn radius. The blur felt more nimble. Guess 1 degree 10mm shorter fork and 20mm shorter bar makes a lot of difference.

Felt that Fox suspension is setup more plush on the Pivot vs SC. When using the lock out both were very good at accelerating. Guess mach4sl is designed primarily for XC racing with 100mm fork. My local shops don't keep in inventory the 100mm version and would be a blind special order for me if I were to go with the Pivot.

XT/XTR Mach4SL 26lbs no pedals $6400 version
    XO1 TR Blur 24 lbs no pedals. $8000 version

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked View Post
    I think you have a valid point. I parking lot test rode with mtb shoes/pedals 10 min each 120 fork xt/xtr mach4SL 67.5 HTA 760mm flat bars & Blur TR 110 68.5 HTA 740mm flat bars today, both size Medium. Suspension on both setup to my weight 165lbs. I know I know it is not a real world test but can't find any of these bikes to test on a trail locally here in NJ.

Anyway, the 120 fork Pivot felt very sluggish in handling. It was too slow in response for my taste when simulating sharp switchback turns. It felt like needed a larger turn radius. The blur felt more nimble. Guess 1 degree 10mm shorter fork and 20mm shorter bar makes a lot of difference.

Felt that Fox suspension is setup more plush on the Pivot vs SC. When using the lock out both were very good at accelerating. Guess mach4sl is designed primarily for XC racing with 100mm fork. My local shops don't keep in inventory the 100mm version and would be a blind special order for me if I were to go with the Pivot.

XT/XTR Mach4SL 26lbs no pedals $6400 version
    XO1 TR Blur 24 lbs no pedals. $8000 version
    Somewhat related: the seller of this M4SL is a Pivot sponsored pro (think it's Taylor Lideen). His SC34 120mm fork has a 110mm air shaft.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2687110/

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I am on the Team XTR with 120mm fork with lockouts instead of live valve. I have noticed, initially, some of the reviews comments. But as I ride it more I am finding that it is probably me and my "old bike" habits more than the Mach 4 SL. As I adjust slightly to blend with the "new bike" these issues are gone. For instance, going to the longer fork and slacker HT definitely made the front end feel lighter. I think that will occur on any bike. All it took was a slight shift forward and that is no longer an issue. Remember, everything your comparing it to is your past experience. If I wanted the same experience I would just stay on the old bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Somewhat related: the seller of this M4SL is a Pivot sponsored pro (think it's Taylor Lideen). His SC34 120mm fork has a 110mm air shaft.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2687110/
    Whomever that is, they must not want to sell it. WAY overpriced, and no dropper post.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

I am Walt
    Whomever that is, they must not want to sell it. WAY overpriced, and no dropper post.
    Agreed, regardless of the dropper. Should be between $5-6K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Agreed, regardless of the dropper. Should be between $5-6K.

I didn't think it was way overpriced with Live Valve, XTR, power meter and Stan's superlight carbon wheels. Pivot's new in box msrp is pretty "overpriced" to begin with. I'd be interested at 5K-ish, but seller is FIRM. Too bad I'm poor, ha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    My opinion (or as I like to call them "facts") is that the trails Pinkbike is testing on are pretty intense. I think they are generally always going to favor bigger bikes, which the Mach 4SL is not. Look at it another way:

What if they were doing the field test at a super tame trail system; smooth, flowy sections with some longer fire-road climbs and swoopy descents; but they found a small quick, gnarly section they could use to test some of the big bikes (lets call it the Enduro Loop). They'd be thinking all the big bikes were a bit wallowy, tough to handle, not "poppy" enough and the Mach 4SL was fantastic. I think there's a bit of square peg, round hole and this was a lose-lose situation for the Pivot.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hey guys. Taylor here. Open to offers but I think it's priced pretty dang well considering the Fox LiveValve, Stan's Podium SRD wheelset with XTR hubs and the XTR 9100 group. If anyone is interested I'm happy to chat over the phone and open to reasonable offers. It is truly one badass bike. Chris and everyone at Pivot nailed it on this one.

Freezer
    65% of retail is my PB price target for mint dream builds.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Yupstate View Post
    My opinion (or as I like to call them "facts") is that the trails Pinkbike is testing on are pretty intense. I think they are generally always going to favor bigger bikes, which the Mach 4SL is not. Look at it another way:

What if they were doing the field test at a super tame trail system; smooth, flowy sections with some longer fire-road climbs and swoopy descents; but they found a small quick, gnarly section they could use to test some of the big bikes (lets call it the Enduro Loop). They'd be thinking all the big bikes were a bit wallowy, tough to handle, not "poppy" enough and the Mach 4SL was fantastic. I think there's a bit of square peg, round hole and this was a lose-lose situation for the Pivot.
    I think they had the wrong testers. Not the wrong course. The trails they used were part of the NIMBY 50 (XC) race course.

Death from Below.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by phxaz128 View Post
    Hey guys. Taylor here. Open to offers but I think it's priced pretty dang well considering the Fox LiveValve, Stan's Podium SRD wheelset with XTR hubs and the XTR 9100 group. If anyone is interested I'm happy to chat over the phone and open to reasonable offers. It is truly one badass bike. Chris and everyone at Pivot nailed it on this one.
    Good points! What are you moving to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the bike (mine's the XX1 build with dropper and Enve m25's, no Live Valve, no lockouts), but it's a 10k bike and I rarely see anything go for only a 25% discount when used unless it's a super-hard bike to source. But good on ya if you get it!
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'd be interested....except that Pinkbike review. Kidding!!! Best of luck with the sale, and as Waltaz posted, curious what you moved on to. A reply would be so worth your second post in 3.5 years, ha!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Too short and SA is too slack . I would love to buy a Pivot XC bike..
    Filme von Draussen
    Instagram Profile
    Current bikes:
    Pivot Switchblade
    Pivot Vault
    Orbea Alma

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The silver lining to the Pinkbike review: handful of new never ridden or barely used Mach 4 SL on PB classified! Some sitting so long it's off to ebay.

Most overpriced. There was a Live Valve World Cup that went for $4800. Sold in a day. Presumably a sponsored rider parting ways with well-raced bike.

As others have stated, most are overpriced if the 35% off msrp is the bare minimum a savvy highend shopper will pay.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks! Just gearing up for 2020 and will be on the Mach 4 SL as well as the LES SL. Blown away with the 4 SL both on the ups and downs. Super fortunate to be able to pedal these things!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Good points! What are you moving to?

Thanks! Just gearing up for 2020 and will be on the Mach 4 SL as well as the LES SL. Blown away with the 4 SL both on the ups and downs. Super fortunate to be able to pedal these things!

I am Walt
    Nice! I love my two LES’ - one geared (just did D2D on it) and one SS. Love being able to go back and forth on the same frame.

Ride more; post less...

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Seems like the boys at Flow had an entirely different perspective of the M4SL - they named it their #1 bike of the year.
    https://flowmountainbike.com/feature...ear-from-2019/

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Seems like the boys at Flow had an entirely different perspective of the M4SL - they named it their #1 bike of the year.
    https://flowmountainbike.com/feature...ear-from-2019/

JP
    I think James Huang would've stuck to his original test remarks (from Colorado) and agreed with Flow's opinion if PB's multi-bike test wasn't in Pemberton with the control tires.