New Pivot Mach 4 SL - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    The price was comparable to buying a frame and fork and I was able to trade a lot of the parts in to the shop to use on pending builds to offset the cost. Plus if you buy frame only it comes with a Factory remote shock and I wanted this to end up mostly blacked out with no remotes. I already had the XTR shifter/derailleur and Kogel bb from a previous bike. I still have a few parts from the stock build I want to sell (wheels, rotors, and crank) but I did the math and based on what I wanted from this build (frame, fork, headset, brakes, dropper) it made sense.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lots of work! I have the stock Pro XT/XTR and I happen to like the lock out. Not so hot on the Maxxis Ardents. Shifting with XTR rear derailleur is not as crisp as I expected either. My last bike was an XT 2X that shifted better IMO. My Mach 4SL was 26lbs out of the box w/o pedals. A little heavier than I expected too. It does handle well and is fast!

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

just finished my SL

Size Small
    Fox Stepcast 34
    Berd wheels with Hydra I9 hubs
    KS Lev Dropper with carbon lever as Grip clamp
    Shimano M9100 Brakes
    Cane Creek 110 head set
    Sram AXS drivetrain
    1up bars
    Speedplay frog Ti pedal
    Fizik carbon seat
    Custom single Bar clamp cockpit for fox lever
    Came in at 23.05lbs

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pivot Mach 4 SL-cockpit-copy.jpg  

New Pivot Mach 4 SL-sl-rear-copy.jpg  

New Pivot Mach 4 SL-slfront-copy.jpg  

New Pivot Mach 4 SL-slfront2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Any bike with ti Frogs gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me!
    The custom clamps: you or the shop make them? Very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Me with Fusion360. and a friends 3d printer. I ground off the integrated clamp and it just bolts on. the shifter is from

https://www.bike-components.de/en/3m...dapter-p68602/

its the only adaptor I could find for ispecEV to sram

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

in-btweener M & L

Looking at M and L frames, the ETT has me in between sizes. I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam, main ride is Ripley V4. I know not an apples to apples comparison, and I'm using ETT because seated comfort and powering for hours is my main concern, not reach and out of saddle descending.

Pivot chart has me on small end of a Medium. No local Larges to try, and the one medium is owned by a total dbag who I'd rather not deal with.

Any riders around my height, whether running a 100 or 120 fork (leaning toward my 100 SC32) have input on which frame size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm 5'10" but have a shorter inseam than you. I'm on the medium running a 120 fork with a flat bar and 80mm stem. Seat height is about 71-72 cm from center of bb to center of seat. I have not doubted that it is the right size for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I measure out at 5'9.5, short inseam, 30' with a longish torso and I demoed a L and bought a medium. Pivots run a little big compared to most brands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam and am running a small. with a 60mm stem

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm just a tad under 5'10". 32-33in pant inseam. I demoed a medium 4sl and it fit perfectly. A large would have definitely been too big for me. A large Ripley v4 fit me fine, but definitely a medium for the 4sl.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ripleys run a little smaller than Pivot 4 SL. 5’11.5” ride a Large 4 SL and an XL in the Ripley 4. 33” inseam for me.
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB6c
    Pivot 4SL
    Litespeed Ultimate Gravel
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Looking at M and L frames, the ETT has me in between sizes. I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam, main ride is Ripley V4. I know not an apples to apples comparison, and I'm using ETT because seated comfort and powering for hours is my main concern, not reach and out of saddle descending.

Pivot chart has me on small end of a Medium. No local Larges to try, and the one medium is owned by a total dbag who I'd rather not deal with.

Any riders around my height, whether running a 100 or 120 fork (leaning toward my 100 SC32) have input on which frame size?
    Remember, you're going to spend most of the time, like 90%, on the flats and climbing, since DHs are so much faster, speed-wise. So choose the most comfortable IME. Modern bikes are very capable DH and it's not a good idea to "downsize for the DH", unless it's a DH bike only for shuttling.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" and demo'd a large this weekend. 31" inseam. Felt perfect to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    I'm 5'10" and demo'd a large this weekend. 31" inseam. Felt perfect to me.
    Was that with the std 75mm? I'm about the same height and was thinking the large with a 50mm stem would be about perfect for me. Thanks

mtbr member
    Looked like about 75mm.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Hi guys,

I love the discussion and feedback and have decided to get a Mach 4 SL. I will fly from Europe to the US and buy it at a local store. Some of you said they got a 15% discount at LBS or demo days. Can you suggest how to go about this best? This would cover some of my travel costs and would be awesome to also get. I am flexible location wise. Ideally somewhere close to CA or AZ. Maybe you even have a contact that you can Private message me so I can contact him. If I am in your area or you come to Switzerland I invite for drinks in return ! Thank you !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post

5'10" and 32" inseam. I went with the size M on the 120 fork. Fits good but is prob just a little on the small side and I prefer that. I def wouldn't want a size L. I did order a 90mm stem and I think it will be perfect after changing to that. Would def be good to ride both sizes if you can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any advice for me 5'9" with 30 inseam? Riding a Large 2016 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon but with a 35 mm stem (stock stem was too long). I see that the stock Mach 4 Sl comes with a 35 mm stem. Would the Large be too big considering the short stem?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The stem is not 35mm in length. It is actually a 60mm stem I believe. It is 35mm in relation to the handlebars. That said I am roughly the same size and went with a medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    my size small came with a 60mm stem

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    The OD of the handle bar is 35mm, as @CHSAD mentioned.

The length of the stem is 60mm. I'd suggest a medium.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Has anyone tried a Maxxis Dissector 2.4 on the rear of a Mach 4 sl? Wondering if it would fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbow View Post
    Has anyone tried a Maxxis Dissector 2.4 on the rear of a Mach 4 sl? Wondering if it would fit.

I ran 2.4 Minion DHR II on my 4 SL. I even had Reynolds Black Label 289 wheels, which have a 28 inner and 34 outer width rim. I had plenty of space and clearance.

I suppose if you lived and ride in areas with a lot of mud, you may get some rub marks from the dirt and mud that cakes to your tires.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

New Pivot Mach 4 SL

Cool, with that being said has anyone run the Dissector front or rear?

Replaced the Ardent Race with a Forkaster 2.35 up front and that made a big difference. Felt like when the ardent wanted to wash out it was just going to go with little chance for me to recover. The Forkaster still wants to wash out sometimes but feels much more predictable giving me a much better chance to recover. Couldn’t tell how much of a difference in rolling resistance there was between the two. Want to stick with Maxxis right now so guess the Aggressor 2.3, Dissector 2.4 or DHF 2.3 would be the next steps up. I’m riding Southern California trails and fire roads. Trying to find a good balance between grip vs rolling resistance.

Ride Everything
    I replaced the stock Maxxis rubber on my wife's bike with a 2.6 Teravail Honcho (front) and 2.5 Teravail Ehline (rear). This is with the stock Sun/Ringle wheelset. Plenty of lateral clearance in back, but slightly less vertical clearance than with the stock 2.2 Maxxis tire.

Update: the casings have plumped out a bit, so I'm going to change the 2.5/2.6 combo to a 2.3/2.5 (Ehline front and rear).
    Last edited by GRAVELBIKE; 03-20-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I think large would be too big for you. I am 5-8.5 with 31 inseam am fit perfectly on the medium.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Any advice for me 5'9" with 30 inseam? Riding a Large 2016 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon but with a 35 mm stem (stock stem was too long). I see that the stock Mach 4 Sl comes with a 35 mm stem. Would the Large be too big considering the short stem?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Is that "35mm stem" the bar diameter? I don't think it's the stem length.
    As for size, you're a medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did short parking lot spin on medium 100 and large 120. I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam. Don't know ape index. I'm an inbetweener it seems. The medium 100 would require longer stem, maybe a 70 or 80 (would need to play with rise, spacers and bar height/width), and the large would obviously go with a shorter stem, guessing 20mm. I'm leaning away from the 120 based on comments and tests, and the fact I have longer travel bikes.

The large reach, on paper, is too big, but I like the effective toptube for all day seated climbing. The medium ETT is kind of short and reach would require that longer stem, but it's not like this bike would be used for Rampage or North Shore hucks, ha. The parking lot spin, albeit brief and without component fiddling, was worth the effort. Great local Pivot dealer (Eagle Bike Shop) was very patient.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    The parking lot spin, albeit brief and without component fiddling, was worth the effort. Great local Pivot dealer (Eagle Bike Shop) was very patient.
    I think they had at least 2 demo days last year! Might be worth waiting for a demo day to get both out in the foothills although I'm not sure anymore what's happening this season given current situation!

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Did short parking lot spin on medium 100 and large 120. I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam. Don't know ape index. I'm an inbetweener it seems. The medium 100 would require longer stem, maybe a 70 or 80 (would need to play with rise, spacers and bar height/width), and the large would obviously go with a shorter stem, guessing 20mm. I'm leaning away from the 120 based on comments and tests, and the fact I have longer travel bikes.

The large reach, on paper, is too big, but I like the effective toptube for all day seated climbing. The medium ETT is kind of short and reach would require that longer stem, but it's not like this bike would be used for Rampage or North Shore hucks, ha. The parking lot spin, albeit brief and without component fiddling, was worth the effort. Great local Pivot dealer (Eagle Bike Shop) was very patient.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, and on a Large SL (120mm fork) with 70mm stem. One thing to consider is where you'll run the saddle on the rails. I have my saddle pushed most of the way forward (to get in a comfortable climbing position), which meant I had to swap from the original 60mm stem I built the bike with to a 70mm stem. I would NEVER consider a Medium - the Large doesn't feel long at all. I would recommend the Large, with whatever stem makes it fit for you.

Just my $0.02

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I am the same height and inseam and bought a used medium. Only a few rides so I can't give an experienced opinion, also my old MTB was 6 years old with different geometry.
    The fork is 100mm and the stem is 80-85mm and the saddle is mostly toward the back.
    I think they large may have been too long for steep climbs, but more secure feeling for downhill. If I feel the medium is just too small I will sell in the fall but right now it feels really good on limited rides.

I agree with what Full Send added above and wish they offered a medium long for people around our height. If I bought a new model I would have opted for the 120mm fork for downhill fun. If I got a large with 120 it may have felt too tall in the front for some climbs and was what I was trying to get away from on my 6 year old MTB.

mtbr member

New Pivot Mach 4 SL

My new Mach4SL - build in progress - already weighs 20% more than the build list...
    Hope it won’t turn out to be a porky build.

On previous builds my racers edge grips weighed 43 grams... Still aiming to reach 21lbs for a local ‘xc riding’ build.
    Have made a seperate build thread, will only post the ready bike here later to avoid pollution...
    Last edited by rapsac; 05-16-2020 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Grammar
    20 Mach 4 SL
    19 Endurace CF SLX

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    My new Mach4SL - build in progress - already weighs 20% more than the build list...
    Hope it won’t turn out to be porky build.

On previous builds my racers edge grips weighed 43 grams... Still aiming to reach 21lbs for a local ‘xc riding’ build.
    Have made a seperate build thread, will only post the ready bike here later to avoid pollution...
    I can't stand the chunky ones, IMO too fat, I use the tapered foam grips and I put the fat end towards the shifter (inside). Probably lighter too, less material.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I can't stand the chunky ones, IMO too fat, I use the tapered foam grips and I put the fat end towards the shifter (inside). Probably lighter too, less material.
    Me neither, that’s why I bought the Racer’s Edge ones. But apparently they have become heavier over the years...
    20 Mach 4 SL
    19 Endurace CF SLX

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looking for advice on sizing.

I'm 5'7'' with a 32 inch inseam.

I currently race XC on a 120mm travel, 27.5, 398mm of reach, 577mm of stack bike. I started using it with a 50mm stem and spacers but as I grew as a rider I kept going lower and longer and concluded that I have a very short and tall bike. Sometimes I even hit the shifter while sprinting.
    I currently ride it with a -6 degree 70mm stem. Bars are about level with the saddle but I'm certain that my ideal position for racing would be around an inch or two below. I plan to run a -35 80mm stem and maybe a 5mm spacer to play around to confirm this.
    As far as pedaling goes I feel comfy but the arms could definitely use some space.

By my calculations I should fit fine on a small. That correct? Or should I go for a medium an need a -17/-25 shorter stem? It seems that pedaling position shouldn't be affected since my actual bike has a slacker st angle and the Mach 4 a steeper one which should let me adjust the saddle accordingly.
    I don't even know where the status quo of XC racing sizing is at the moment, maybe I should stay on the short side....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deartist7 View Post

I currently race XC on a 120mm travel, 27.5, 398mm of reach, 577mm of stack bike. I started using it with a 50mm stem and spacers but as I grew as a rider I kept going lower and longer and concluded that I have a very short and tall bike. Sometimes I even hit the shifter while sprinting.
    I currently ride it with a -6 degree 70mm stem. Bars are about level with the saddle but I'm certain that my ideal position for racing would be around an inch or two below. I plan to run a -35 80mm stem and maybe a 5mm spacer to play around to confirm this.
    As far as pedaling goes I feel comfy but the arms could definitely use some space.

By my calculations I should fit fine on a small. That correct? Or should I go for a medium an need a -17/-25 shorter stem? It seems that pedaling position shouldn't be affected since my actual bike has a slacker st angle and the Mach 4 a steeper one which should let me adjust the saddle accordingly.
    I don't even know where the status quo of XC racing sizing is at the moment, maybe I should stay on the short side....
    I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam and Pivot recommended a small. They said the bike runs big and the size is perfect. That being said, I own a medium Switchblade V2 and Yeti SB130.
    EDventure

Yeti SB130
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot Switchblade

Instagram: @edventurecycle

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Deartist7 View Post

I'm about the same and ride a Small with an 80mm Syncros stem/bar combo thingy. I like the Small for where I ride it mostly in and around Dallas: tight, twisty singletrack. If I rode it out West on more open trails I may have gotten a Medium, but I'm happy with the sizing where I ride it.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    To confuse things even more: I am 5'7'' as well and ride a medium with a 90mm -25 stem. I guess its just a preference thing. I like my bikes to be on the tall side, but I would have been as satisfied as I am with a small one as well, I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah, turns out to be very confusing if you take arm and torso lengths into account as well. And trails.

We got mainly twisty and technical trails so I'll go with the Small. Still longer than my current bike but not so much that I can't get the bars low enough.

Thanks for the help!

11 is one louder than 10
    I'm just a tad under 5'10", riding a medium. Seat is pushed back, 60mm 6deg stem. 1.5 inches of spacers under the stem but now in my late 40's I like to sit a bit more upright than I used to!

If I were 5'11" I would want the large I think.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    This thread needs pictures of bikes!
    20 Mach 4 SL
    19 Endurace CF SLX

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New Pivot Mach 4 SL-9057723d-aa35-40e1-a89e-f9856ef3844c_1_201_a.jpg
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Who are the top 3 internet dealers of Pivots here if I don't have a local shop? I was also considering an Ibis Ripley vs the Mach 4 SL. Looks like many of you have both. Interested in knowing about your experience with both beyond the Ripley descends better and the Pivot climbs better. I am interested in a bike that climbs like a machine on short punchy steep technical climbs but has really good handling for tight twisty stuff like dropping into a trench, coming up the other side of the half pipe and then doing a 180 and dropping back in. Most of my downhill stuff is no more than a 1 ft drop.

I started a thread in the beginner's corner (https://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-co...p-1141459.html ) but I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Ripley, top fuel 9.8, anthem, SC100 or Mach 4 SL. Just trying to figure my stuff out and I'm paralyzed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank View Post
    Who are the top 3 internet dealers of Pivots here if I don't have a local shop? I was also considering an Ibis Ripley vs the Mach 4 SL.
    Not really an internet dealer but I got an SL from JRA Cycles (Medford) a few months ago & was easy transaction. Note - they did an awesome job setting bike up, breaking it down & boxing it up. Also shipped when they said it would. I believe they have Ibis too?

mtbr member

New Pivot Mach 4 SL

Weight information of the Mach 4 SL - stealth color - frame:

Frame only, incl derailleur hanger, excl shock (but with shock bolts), excl seatpost clamp, excl rear axle, excl bottle cage bolts:
    size L: 2114 gram
    size XL: 2221 gram

Fox Factory DPS 190x40 3-pos manual adjust, incl bushings and 30mm spacers for both eyelets:
    sample 1: 268 gram
    sample 2: 278 gram
    Last edited by rapsac; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:18 AM.
    20 Mach 4 SL
    19 Endurace CF SLX

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    Does anybody on this thread have the frame in the new glossy "Deep Lake Blue" color? Curious to see some photos of that colorway in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gubbinalia View Post
    Does anybody on this thread have the frame in the new glossy "Deep Lake Blue" color? Curious to see some photos of that colorway in the flesh.
    I've built a few, it looks good. I prefer the sandstorm or slate blue color ways that are offered on the Firebird 29.

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by joby View Post
    I've built a few, it looks good. I prefer the sandstorm or slate blue color ways that are offered on the Firebird 29.
    Awesome to hear. Do you happen to have any pictures?
    I agree, that sand color on the FB is pretty sweet. One of the best colorways Pivot has ever made.

** Edit to add: here is a set of Instagram posts with detail shots of the Deep Lake Blue frame.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFw1seoBzV4/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFFM_CJHsMD/
    Definitely more of a cobalt undercoat and green tint than I initially thought. Great-looking color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hi all. I own a Mach 4 SL in 120mm fork configuration, am planning to convert to a 100mm fork now. Was wondering for those with size L frames with the 100mm work - what was the length of the stock stem from Pivot and the rise? Mine came in 75mm length and slight rise, but I forgot how many degrees of rise it had as I sold it off already. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

real world weights?

Hi all, I was hoping someone could post some actual weights of their stock M4 SL race bike, with the 100mm fork, not 120? Thanks.

mtbr member
    This thread needs some pictures!

20 Mach 4 SL
    19 Endurace CF SLX

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Ah, you got the McLeod too! I'm loving that shock on the SL. Transforms the ride, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Hi, is your McLeod with remote or without?

Sent from my LIO-N29 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

New Pivot Mach 4 SL

Quote Originally Posted by Full Send View Post
    Ah, you got the McLeod too! I'm loving that shock on the SL. Transforms the ride, IMO.
    I have it on as a temporary replacement whilst my Fox damper is being repaired. Something went wrong when the bike-shop replaced the damper head for a non-remote version. Chose the McLeod because of good reviews and a bargain offer available. That said, I like it a lot for what should be a spare damper and will compare it against the Fox when that has been fixed.
    20 Mach 4 SL
    19 Endurace CF SLX

mtbr member

New Pivot Mach 4 SL

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Hi, is your McLeod with remote or without?

Without remote and installed using Fox bushing/spacer at the upper eyelet and Manitou ones at the lower. Like that and in 190x40 metric, it weighs 309 gram, so roughly 40 gram more than the Fox factory in non-remote version.
    20 Mach 4 SL
    19 Endurace CF SLX

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Without remote and installed using Fox bushing/spacer at the upper eyelet and Manitou ones at the lower. Like that and in 190x40 metric, it weighs 309 gram, so roughly 40 gram more than the Fox factory in non-remote version.
    Got it, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I have it on as a temporary replacement whilst my Fox damper is being repaired. Something went wrong when the bike-shop replaced the damper head for a non-remote version. Chose the McLeod because of good reviews and a bargain offer available. That said, I like it a lot for what should be a spare damper and will compare it against the Fox when that has been fixed.
    I also paid to have my DPS swapped to a non-remote three-position setup, but subsequently swapped to a McLeod and have never looked back. The McLeod has far superior small-bump compliance in all the compression settings, which means you can firm up the suspension without getting teeth-rattling response over trail chatter. The DPS is notoriously bad at separating high and low speed compression damping, which means you have to choose between open and wallowy or firm and harsh.

Try them both for yourself, but I think you'll end up staying with the McLeod. I can't really find any downsides to it, and I'm pretty picky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

My Mach4 SL build

Here´s my race build:

Fork: Fox SC Factory 32 w/remote and Hard Lite axle
    Wheels: Alchemist Ultra Race carbon
    Tires: Maxxis Aspen EXO TR 2.25
    Discs: Quaxar 160mm
    Seatpost: Hylix carbon 0 offset
    Saddle: FRM carbon
    Stem: TranzX 70mm 17°
    Handlebar: Race Face Next flatbar
    Grips: PRO foam ergonomic
    Brakes: XTR 9020
    Cranks: XTR 9020 1x
    Chainring: OneUp Oval 34T
    Shifter: XTR 9020 11spd
    Derrailleur: XTR 9020 11spd
    Cassette: Ethirteen TRS Race 11spd 9-46
    Pedals: CB eggbeaters
    Chain: Shimano XT

Race weight came in at 9.8kgs (21.6lbs) with pedals. Same exact build on my 429SL was about 300g heavier so Pivot's claim was OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pivot Mach 4 SL-20201030_174702.jpg  

New Pivot Mach 4 SL-20201030_174551.jpg  

New Pivot Mach 4 SL-20201030_174420.jpg  

New Pivot Mach 4 SL-20201030_173935.jpg  

mosstrooper
    May 2020

Mach 4SL -- best XC bike out there?

I can remember how stoked I was when I saw the news that Pivot was releasing a new XC bike, so I'm not sure how it took me so long to finally get one. I was a true believer in the 429SL and after demo'ing the 4SL I knew it would suit my riding to a T. I finally pulled the trigger on a frame at the end of Sept. and got it built up about a month ago. It's seen an unusual cocktail of rides, though -- a few longer, flatter XC rides, quick 1.5-2hr "gotta get out and ride today" sessions before/after work, and a surprising number of gravel and 4th class exploring while avoiding wet trails. Ski season's also been getting going here and I've been distracted, not to mention fallen leaves and fresh snow/recent rain being a sketchy combo. Fortunately, I finally got the bike out for a solid 5.5hr flogging on a warmer day late last week on some tacky dirt. One of my biggest vertical days of the year and some just plain fun lapping three different descents at my local trail network.

A few particular aspects of the 4 SL weren't immediately obvious to me in the first 20-30 hrs of riding but really came to the fore during that long ride. One is the frame stiffness. I loved how the 429 SL had trail-bike stiffness, especially in the rear end, but it was a bit too steep up front to really put that stiffness to use holding a line through chunky terrain. The slackening of the 4SL with a 120 Stepcast makes a huge difference in letting the bike run in steeper, rockier terrain, especially after dialing in the fork/shock balance to hold the bike up in successive small to medium hits. I was plowing a bit recklessly into rock gardens and being amazed by how well the bike stayed on line.

Second is the synchronicity of linkage design/shock tune/DW Link tuning. In my first couple rides on flatter, flowier terrain the DPS shock just didn't feel as plush as I was expecting, and at recommended pressure it seemed a little linear through the mid stroke. For whatever reason (maybe in part that the shock needed to "break in," if that's even still a thing for 2020 suspension components), the shock absolutely came to life on last week's longer, more technical ride. I was still at the same pressure but the small bump compliance improved radically, almost reminding me of what it's like to run a properly-sprung coil. It's still not the most progressive XC suspension I've ever felt, but the more linear feel seems to contribute to traction -- which the rear end has oodles of. I was amazed by the way the wheel hugged the ground, almost to the point where I couldn't pop it up or break it free. Much as I love a more "playful" feel/shock tune, for all-out speed, maximum traction is key. The 4SL didn't set any PRs that day but it was consistently fast, even as the fatigue built -- perfect characteristic in an XC race bike.

Build-wise, I hodge-podged things a bit because I didn't want to wait on other parts I had ordered and just pulled stuff off a different bike I was selling. I've started running the shockingly effective AXS derailleur/shifter with an XTR cassette and chain (and Wolf Tooth HG+ elliptical chainring on Sram cranks), which looks bizarre but works unbelievably well. Sized down to a 10-45 XT cassette that I also had on the shelf just because the bike pedals so damn well I didn't need the 51t, and it helps to keep the derailleur a bit higher off the ground. I've run a couple different sets of wheels to try things out, but mostly rode it with my XC classic 2.35 Ardent Race/Forekaster on 25mm rims. Pretty good in the loose leaves and mud but decent rolling on the road. With that wheelset the bike weighs about 24.8lbs with pedals and bottle cage. Not the absolute lightest XC bike I've ever built, but who knows when it will next see a racecourse.

Downsides? I'm looking for one (any). The claimed 73.5 STA is confusing to me -- my hip flexors are telling me it's closer to the 75.3 STA (claimed) on my trail bike. It's commonplace that Pivots, whether short- or long-travel, tend to stay super high in their travel so it's not surprising the seat angle isn't overly slack, but for an XC bike it almost feels "too" steep to make optimal power. I can't recall the last time I had my seat so far back in the rails. Also, the taller head tube/stack kind of demands a negative rise stem; hoping to go down even lower when I can find the right stem.

I've been spending a lot of time on the MTBR forums looking at folks' opinions and reading ride reviews on the newer, slacker, shreddier "down country" bikes, but ultimately that whole category takes as its premise the idea that XC bikes aren't already capable, great descenders, and a ton of fun. Where did this idea get started, and did any of these "down country" advocates ride a Mach 4 before they came to such a conclusion? I'm stoked to race NUEs on the 4SL but also just rip around on the daily rides and try to set descending PRs. Pivot really nailed it with this bike, even if I am a year-plus late to the party :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pivot Mach 4 SL-img_1494.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Great review. Glad to hear they engineered some stiffness into. Im puzzled that pinkbike disliked it so much with a 120 fork. "Sketchy" lol riiight.

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    Great review. Glad to hear they engineered some stiffness into. Im puzzled that pinkbike disliked it so much with a 120 fork. "Sketchy" lol riiight.
    Right?! I was confused by that review as well. I love watching the Youtube videos that PB puts out, but sticking an absolute demon of an XC bike in a head-to-head review with a Guerilla Gravity and a Tallboy 4 was something of a mistake. I think the Mach 4 would have scored much higher marks if they had put it up against the Scalpel, Epic, et al in the XC Field Test they did this year.

Stiffness is extremely on point with the 4SL frame -- I'm starting to believe what Pivot says about changing their carbon layups to match the size. There's a pinpoint line accuracy on this bike I've never had on a short-travel bike before. I'm on an XL and wondering if all my previous bikes have been flexier than I ever knew.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I got new wheels built and installed a Lefty Ocho on my Mach 4 SL, replacing the Fox 34 SC that was on. It's weird, but I actually like the feel of the 100mm Ocho vs the 120mm 34 SC, and I've not ridden a pure XC bike in years before this conversion!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    I replaced the stock Maxxis rubber on my wife's bike with a 2.6 Teravail Honcho (front) and 2.5 Teravail Ehline (rear). This is with the stock Sun/Ringle wheelset. Plenty of lateral clearance in back, but slightly less vertical clearance than with the stock 2.2 Maxxis tire.

Update: the casings have plumped out a bit, so I'm going to change the 2.5/2.6 combo to a 2.3/2.5 (Ehline front and rear).
    Hello, may I ask how is she liking the Teravail tires? I hope they have good grip on steep and hard terrain.
    Which is their actual width?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Request for help:
    1. Can someone with an XL post a picture of the 2 bottle setup that is said can fit? What are the largest bottles that fit in each position?

2. If you have a Large or XL, can you check to see (and possibly post a picture) of a water bottle vertical in the frame parallel to the shock? I'd like to see if this would work:Lyne Holy rail New Pivot Mach 4 SL-untitled.50_1024x1024.jpg
    New Pivot Mach 4 SL-lyne-6_e8b2b0b8-2fbf-4c41-8146-c387eef91865_2048x2048.jpg

mtbr member
    I ride an XL but have not tried double bottleholders.
    Do have these pictures for you, taken from a Pivot video whilst checking this out myself.

20 Mach 4 SL
    19 Endurace CF SLX

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrpickels View Post
    Request for help:
    1. Can someone with an XL post a picture of the 2 bottle setup that is said can fit? What are the largest bottles that fit in each position?

2. If you have a Large or XL, can you check to see (and possibly post a picture) of a water bottle vertical in the frame parallel to the shock? I'd like to see if this would work:Lyne Holy rail
    Bike is at the shop for a potential dropper warranty/swap, but on the XL frame you can definitely fit two 22oz bottles "in series" on the downtube (as shown on Cocalis' bike in that video). I was able to squeeze in a 26oz on the lower mount by sliding the lower cage all the way back, and the front one all the way forward -- there's maybe 5mm of movement available with the Cannibal bottle cage. Not sure about the Holy Rail deal, I can check next week and post a picture.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123