Mach 5.7 Carbon or Alum?- Mtbr.com
    MTB SOCAL

Mach 5.7 Carbon or Alum?

I decided a while ago to replace my Ellsworth Epiphany with a trail bike with a little slacker head angle (68ish degrees). I love my Knolly Delirium, so I was looking to pick up the new Endorphin once it's released. However, it doesn't look like it's gonna be available anytime soon. So, I started looking at other options. The bikes I have been considering are the Ibis Mojo HD 140 and the Pivot Mach 5.7. Both can be built up with a 140 or 150mm fork relatively light with a head angle in the 68 degree range. Now with the 5.7 carbon coming out, I'm wondering if I should go that route instead. The carbon looks like a great bike, (except for the loud graphics). But, the Mach 5.7 aluminum is also a great bike. I like the white frame as well as the ano grey. Any thoughts from current 5.7 owners, or others comtemplating a 5.7?
    09 Jones ti Spaceframe
    12 Canfield Formula 1 Jedi
    16 Knolly Warden Carbon
    19 Chromag Wideangle
    20 Evil The Following v3

MTB SOCAL
    I cancelled my order on the new Endorphin today.

I'm now leaning towards ordering a Mach 5.7 carbon. I've never ridden a Pivot, but have heard good things. Other than the nominal price difference, the more subdued graphics, and the wait, are there any reasons to go with the aluminum 5.7? Durability? Does anyone know how long Pivot warrantees their frames?
    09 Jones ti Spaceframe
    16 Knolly Warden Carbon
    19 Chromag Wideangle
    20 Evil The Following v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei View Post
    are there any reasons to go with the aluminum 5.7? Durability? Does anyone know how long Pivot warrantees their frames?
    I guess you would get AL version if you want to get the bike now, the carbon frames are not available yet.

Regarding warranty:
    What kind of warranty does Pivot offer?
    Pivot offers a 3 year warranty against manufacturer defects on all of its frames to the original owner. Linkages on the frame are also warranted for 3 years. The Shimano XTR bb has a 3 year warranty through Shimano. The components sold on Pivot frames are warranted by the individual parts makers. Outside of the standard warranty, we want to let our customers know that we stand behind our products. If you have an issue with your frame beyond the 3 years, please let us know. If you are the original owner, and an issue comes up that we feel is a legitimate warranty situation and not abuse or wear and tear, we will do our best to come up with a solution that gets you back on the trail.

MTB SOCAL

Seatpost?

I ordered my Mach 5.7 carbon frameset today.

Now, I have to sell some of the parts I had picked up for the Knolly and order new ones for the Pivot. Does anyone know what size seatpost the 5.7 carbon takes? Also, what is the rear wheel spacing? Is it 135 QR, 135x12mm thruaxle, or 142x12mm thruaxle? I couldn't find it on the website.
    09 Jones ti Spaceframe
    16 Knolly Warden Carbon
    19 Chromag Wideangle
    20 Evil The Following v3

Trying to be helpful
    I ordered my Mach 5.7 carbon frameset today.

Now, I have to sell some of the parts I had picked up for the Knolly and order new ones for the Pivot. Does anyone know what size seatpost the 5.7 carbon takes? Also, what is the rear wheel spacing? Is it 135 QR, 135x12mm thruaxle, or 142x12mm thruaxle? I couldn't find it on the website.
    142x12mm

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    142x12mm

Thanks. Luckily, I already picked up the conversion kit from I9 for 142x12 as the new Knolly Endorphin was spec'd for 142x12 as well.

I'm hearing the seatpost diameter is 30.9mm. Is this correct?
    09 Jones ti Spaceframe
    16 Knolly Warden Carbon
    19 Chromag Wideangle
    20 Evil The Following v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm hearing the seatpost diameter is 30.9mm. Is this correct?
    All the other Pivot bikes use that size so it is a good guess.
    Perhaps the factory guys (Dan & Ken) can help with this?

mtbr member
    Tech Info | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

What size seatpost do you use?
    All Pivot frames use a 30.9 seatpost with a 34.9 seatpost clamp.

Don't see why they'd change that just for this bike.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've ordered a carbon 5.7 to replace my xc bike, which interestingly enough is an Edge Icarus... I went with the carbon over the al since its lighter and I've heard snappier.

I also have a 2008 Endorphin. The 5.7 'could' probably replace the Endorphin but I'll probably keep it for the more gnarly rides where I want a slightly bigger bike for the descent.

Plus this one bike couldn't replace two of my bikes...

I've demoed the 5.7 so I know it climbs better and is just as worthy a descender. But the Endorphin is also a great bike and it has a Fox 36, the 5.7 will have a Fox 32 and built up more light xc.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl View Post
    I've ordered a carbon 5.7 to replace my xc bike, which interestingly enough is an Edge Icarus... I went with the carbon over the al since its lighter and I've heard snappier.

I also have a 2008 Endorphin. The 5.7 'could' probably replace the Endorphin but I'll probably keep it for the more gnarly rides where I want a slightly bigger bike for the descent.
    Nice. Knolly makes some great bikes. As previously stated, I had an order in for one of the new Endorphins to replace my Epiphany. But, the Endorphin / Endorphin SL project seems to be stalled for now. The Mach 5.7 Carbon will be my new trail bike - hopefully in the 26-28 lb range. I have a 4" TiRuth for xc stuff, a 6" Moment for all-mountain stuff, and a Delirium for bigger stuff. So, I'm expecting the 5.7 Carbon to fit nicely in the lineup for trail bike duties.
    09 Jones ti Spaceframe
    16 Knolly Warden Carbon
    19 Chromag Wideangle
    20 Evil The Following v3

mtbr member
    Nice. Knolly makes some great bikes. As previously stated, I had an order in for one of the new Endorphins to replace my Epiphany. But, the Endorphin / Endorphin SL project seems to be stalled for now. The Mach 5.7 Carbon will be my new trail bike - hopefully in the 26-28 lb range. I have a 4" TiRuth for xc stuff, a 6" Moment for all-mountain stuff, and a Delirium for bigger stuff. So, I'm expecting the 5.7 Carbon to fit nicely in the lineup for trail bike duties.
    My turner 5spot is my "do it all" bike. I see alot of overlap with the bikes listed above. Thats just me though!
    Too wet to ride!

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by prooperator View Post
    My turner 5spot is my "do it all" bike. I see alot of overlap with the bikes listed above. Thats just me though!
    As I ride more road and less mountain, I've been trying to thin the herd. The bikes above are pretty well-spaced in terms of travel and weight to minimize overlap. I still have a Cotic BFe AM hardtail (which overlaps with the Moment and the soon to be 5.7 Carbon).
    09 Jones ti Spaceframe
    16 Knolly Warden Carbon
    19 Chromag Wideangle
    20 Evil The Following v3

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl View Post

Plus this one bike couldn't replace two of my bikes...

I've demoed the 5.7 so I know it climbs better and is just as worthy a descender. But the Endorphin is also a great bike and it has a Fox 36, the 5.7 will have a Fox 32 and built up more light xc.
    swap the 32 for a 36 if your partial to Fox
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post
    swap the 32 for a 36 if your partial to Fox
    I'm not partial to fox. I have a Lyric Solo air 170 on my Firebird and I actually like it better then the fox 36... I want to keep the 5.7 more xc biased.

Sounds like you and I have similar quivers! As to downsizing... Why????
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

j.k.livin
    I pondered the same question over the last month and I came to the conclusion that it was about time...I didn't want to wait for the carbon even though its what I really wanted. I decided to go alum and do an entire build.
    Parts have been coming in and the wait will be worth it as it should be ready this Friday. The bike is going to look sick with all the black and Red accents.

M Pivot 5.7 Frame with Kashima fox
    2012 Kashima 150mm Talas
    Formula R1 Brakes (carbon levers)
    SRAM XO group
    Easton Alum XC90 wheelset
    Easton XC90 Bar
    Thompson X4 stem 100mm
    Thompson Masterpiece post
    Kenda Nevegal tires

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by cp85bears View Post
    I pondered the same question over the last month and I came to the conclusion that it was about time...I didn't want to wait for the carbon even though its what I really wanted. I decided to go alum and do an entire build.
    Parts have been coming in and the wait will be worth it as it should be ready this Friday. The bike is going to look sick with all the black and Red accents.
    Sweet. That looks like a solid build. I almost went aluminum as well. The shops are really discounting the aluminum frames heavily, so there is added incentive.
    09 Jones ti Spaceframe
    16 Knolly Warden Carbon
    19 Chromag Wideangle
    20 Evil The Following v3

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Can anyone tell me what the 5.7 Aluminum is selling for with a medium range build? I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and I'm trying to figure out a bike to get when I return, but I'm having trouble finding pricing info. Any help would be greatly appreciated

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchSole View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the 5.7 Aluminum is selling for with a medium range build? I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and I'm trying to figure out a bike to get when I return, but I'm having trouble finding pricing info. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I think the 5.7 aluminum frame lists for about $2200. But, most shops will readily discount it to $1800 range. A mid-range build should probably run you $3000-3300, I would guess.
    09 Jones ti Spaceframe
    16 Knolly Warden Carbon
    19 Chromag Wideangle
    20 Evil The Following v3

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you are looking for a 2012 aluminum frame, the price is $2,200. The MSRP price sheet that the bike shop showed me when I ordered my 2012 complete bike was $3,899 for the XT/SLX components which is the lowest level, X9 is the next level which I think was $4,299 , and the XT was $4,599. Anything above XT was out of my range so I do not know those prices. If you are interested at all in the carbon fiber frame, add $400 to each price above.

If you are looking for a 2011 complete bike, I was told by the bike shop that the MSRP for each level of components increased by $200 for 2012. Based on this, a 2011 with XT/SLX components would be $3,699, the X9 components would be $4,099, and XT would be $4,399.

As yangpei mentioned, I do know of a bike shop that discounted a 2011 complete bike by $600. If I was not set on a carbon fiber frame, I would have bought it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A little help on sizing. I'm 6'. What size frame should I go with? Med. or lrg?

one sick puppy
    I'm 6' with 33" pants inseam and a large fits me well.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Can someone tell me the set post size for the 5.7 carbon?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ^^^scroll up this thread to find your answer. It is also posted on the Pivot website FAQ's