mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Mach 5.5 vs Evil Calling

I demoed a Mach 5.5 briefly and liked it..stable, plush but still felt fairly nimble and playful to me. Didnt do much climbing on it though. Any 5.5 owners ever demo or own a Calling? I'm curious how they compare down, up and on pedally stuff. Thanks for any input..
    Last edited by mannyfnz; 1 Week Ago at 02:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've owned most Pivots and the 5.5 was the worst climber of the bunch, given the amount of travel vs the others. Don't know why, just felt a little sluggish. Even with super light wheels and tires. Never ridden an Evil, but sure would like to. Nobody around Dallas sells them AFAIK.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yea I've heard that about the Pivot.. surprising. I don't know that the Evil would climb any better, but that bike is so intriguing to me. I like the single pivot design.. apparently it's a super playful ride..yet plush. Somebody on here must have experience.. Anyone?

mtbr member
    I totally agree with you on climbing with the 5.5. It really lets the bike down as it's so much fun with everything else. I've heard throwing a 150 fork on it from the standard 160 helps. I don't know how much that will hurt descending though.

I ended up going with an Ibis Mojo HD3, it's just as playful, just as much travel, 2.3-2.8 tires, and climbs like a billy goat.

I wish I could give an opinion on the Evil but I haven't had a chance to ride one as of yet.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Of course I work for PIVOT, so take my opinion as it is. This is the first time I've heard of someone saying that the 5.5 doesn't climb well. I would chalk that up to poor suspension set up. If you set sag on the shock correctly, as well as set sag up correctly on the fork the bike climbs great. I have mine set up with the Float X2 which is practically a DH shock, and on all of my local climbs I never lock out the shock. Some of the guys at work on their 5.5 will turn on the lock out for long extended climbs.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I've owned most Pivots and the 5.5 was the worst climber of the bunch, given the amount of travel vs the others. Don't know why, just felt a little sluggish. Even with super light wheels and tires. Never ridden an Evil, but sure would like to. Nobody around Dallas sells them AFAIK.
    Are you saying that the Mach6 and original Firebird climb better than the 5.5? I highly disagree. I own current model Mach6, Switchblade, and Mach 5.5 and would say that the 5.5 climbs better than all three. Switchblade would be a close 2nd but the Mach 6 doesn't climb nearly as well as the others.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    IMO the Mach 6 climbs as well as the 5.5, and given their travel differences, gives the nod to the 6. The FB is in a whole other category, but, vis-a-vis, given the travel differences, the FB climbs better. And I'm not talking about timed climbing, I'm talking about how they absorb terrain without bobbing and how supportive they remain while climbing. The 5.5 was just not as supportive as the others IMO given the amount of travel. And yes, I had my sag correct and no, I wasn't using the boat anchor stock wheels. My Mojo 3, while only 10mm less travel, climbs worlds better. Doesn't plow through stuff as well, though. This is all subjective though and YMMV. The previous sentence should be more prevalent in these forums; people should feel free to disagree.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This is helpful since I ride a mojo 3 as well. I liked the confidence the 5.5 gave me on the downs, but definitely don't wanna give up too much climbing efficiency. What I want is something playful like the Ibis, that climbs at least similar to it, yet is a touch more stable and plush heading down. I'm asking for the impossible basically. Having said all that, I do really like my mojo. Fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    This is the first time I've heard of someone saying that the 5.5 doesn't climb well.
    It's been mentioned quite a few times on MTB forums, but it always seems that company employees (not Pivot only) are very good at blocking the negatives. I own a Mach 5.5 and a Yeti SB5, quite a lot of overlap between these bikes, and I probably won't keep both. I would say that the Mach 5.5 does not climb as well as the SB5, with comparable builds and based on riding them on the same trails, switching wheelsets, etc. But I still climbs well. I enjoy both and the extra plushness of the Mach 5.5 in the rough stuff (especially fitted with Cane creek suspension - oh my, what did I just say here!!)

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I own a 5.5 and Mojo 3. The more I ride the 5.5, the less of a difference I feel in the way both climb. I feel the 5.5 climbs great. Only in the steepest of sections on the trails I ride would I give the climbing nod to the Mojo 3 and even then, I can still clear those sections with ease on the 5.5. Suspension setup is key but if you feel 160mm travel fork is too much for a bike with 140mm rear, you can definitely drop the fork to 150mm, which was the original intent/design for the 5.5. I feel if I were to drop the front fork to 150mm, it would climb exactly how my Mojo 3 climbs, but still ride through the rough sections way better than the Mojo 3. Iím honestly thinking of selling my Mojo 3 because I feel the 5.5 is overall a better bike and thereís a lot of overlap between the two where it doesnít make sense to keep both bikes. Donít get me wrong, the Mojo 3 is an awesome bike.

I never rode the calling but watch mtb yum yumís video review on the 5.5 and he compares it to the calling. He basically says the 5.5 is a better climber and more playful & poppy.

ZEN RIDER!
    Yumyum is also riding a stock Calling with the cheap wheelset and heavy tires.
    Most riders that get an Evil build a spec bike. I use project 321 hubs with Nextie rims and its a much much lighter wheel set than the stock wheelset.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    May 2016
    He typically rides stock bikes. I believe the 5.5 he rode had an XT drivetrain and stock DT Swiss wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I own a Pivot Mach 5.5 and 429 Trail. I have not ridden the Calling, but with all due respect to dan, the Mach 5.5 is least inspiring trail bike for climbing I've swung a leg over. It'll get up climbs and has tons of traction for loose and or wet tech climbs, but it does not encourage one to jump up and sprint, regardless of the shock mounted to it.

The 5.5 rips it up on descents and is the lone (not too long, not too slack) bike in this category that is suitable for tighter, gnarly terrain. On the climbs, the rider's energy output goes to die somewhere in the frame, so it's not really worth putting forth the effort. That said, this bike offers tons of smiles per mile and I grabbed out of the garage most of the time this season knowing that I wasn't going to" kill it" on the climbs. I feel it could use just a touch more of the original DW 5.5 Spot. If the Dave's could pull it off, I'm certain Dave and Chris could figure it out.

By comparison, the 429 Trail feels like it gives back more than you put into it on a sprint or grueling climb. It encourages you to throttle it. And it has a great deal of the 5.5's chops on the descents, but it does have a limit.

One thing Pivot has over Evil is reputation and customer service.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for that post. What shock did the 5.5 you rode have? I wonder if that makes a difference. Anyway, if and when I get a new bike to replace the mojo, I want something that encourages you to step on it.. I want a bit of that sprinty feeling going up and on flat pedally stuff. I may keep the Ibis if I can't find that balance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I run both the DPS and DPX2 on the 5.5. Trust me, it's not the shock.
    The DW design on this frame does not ride high in its travel like most other DW designs. The leverage ratio is rather high too. It's a plush DW link, just not a spirited sprinter.

Perhaps the Trail 429 would be more suitable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yea that's what I thought..bummer. I guess there's always gonna be a trade-off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm not disappointed I bought the 5.5, and am not trying to steer you away. Just letting you know the bike has it's strengths, but it does come with baggage. I'm running a fairly light I9 (aluminum spoked) wheel set, and it helped a little, but still not what I would consider sprightly.