Int'l Sales - PIVOT

Introducing... "Frank"

You spoke, we listened.

It's pretty well documented on here that, despite the fact that 90+% of our sales are for complete bikes these days, our customers still want the option to buy a frame-only and build up their dream bike. That makes total sense.

What's also well known is that we were very early to the SuperBoost party. Over 3 years ago, we saw the inherent shortcomings of Boost 148 for 29ers where you may want to run a wider tire, stiffer wheel, and still keep a short chainstay for better handling. SuperBoost solved a ton of problems - it used existing hub (157) and BB standards, but slightly wider chainring mounting to give huge amounts of tire clearance, a wheel that's 30% laterally stiffer, 29er chainstays that are as short as 430mm, and the same low Q factor of Boost bikes.

The problem in the beginning was finding compatible parts - there were few aftermarket wheel and crank options. This resulted in people using heavy 157mm DH wheelsets for their trail bikes, and we even had a few horrendous early situations where customers mounted up incompatible cranks and basically sawed through their chainstays. It was for these reasons that we decided we'd only sell SuperBoost bikes as completes, and we busted our butts improving our spec so that we could provide the best value for your money.

But all things change. You can now find loads of great SB wheels and hubs from I9, Reynolds, Sun Ringle, Onyx, DT, Stans, SRAM, and others. Regrettably, crank manufacturers are inundated with a million different standards, so it's still quite difficult to find an aftermarket crankset that produces the 56-57mm chainline required by SB without carefully selecting compatible crank and chainrings, usually from different manufacturers.

To accommodate your request for a frame-only option while still ensuring a proper chainline, we will now offer "Franks" - a frame & crank/BB. The crankset included will be the carbon crank included in our Team builds (a Race Face NEXT R crank, in most situations). Franks are available immediately.

Power to the people! *fist*

JP

tl;dr You can now buy any of our SuperBoost bikes (Trail429, SwitchBlade, Firebird) as a Frame + Crankset
    Last edited by John P.; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:42 AM.
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Glad to hear it, the people will be happy!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Int'l Sales - PIVOT

Dirty Frank

PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Great to see Pivot reading the forums and listening to the customers! Thanks! Also FYI while you're listening, we want to know what the next 429SL is gonna be...ok thx :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    I prefer:
    https://youtu.be/DjZ3NboulQo

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I assume you get the bottom bracket too? So it's really a Franks and Beans deal?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Was about time! Great move..
    Filme von Draussen
    Instagram Profile
    Current bikes:
    Pivot Switchblade
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 3
    Orbea Alma

Freezer
    Great to hear! I'll start planning my build of the next SB release.
    Pivot Mach 5.5
    Yeti SB4.5

mtbr member
    Great news. Thanks for listening to your customers.

Keep on Rockin...
    Excellent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Awesome news

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I assume you get the bottom bracket too? So it's really a Franks and Beans deal?
    Haha... yes, you're correct. I changed the original post to list frame+crank+bb.
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    4100 ....yikes..few hundy more you ca get a complete YT pro.

mtbr member
    This is great news. Please release a Superboost 29er hardtail so I can have cross compatibility between bikes.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    This is great news. Please release a Superboost 29er hardtail so I can have cross compatibility between bikes.
    Hell Yes

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is definitely a step in the right direction, although the use of race face cranks is confusing, aside from the obvious crankarm durability issues of the Next SL: The PF30 interface was intended for 24mm shimano cranks, not 30mm and the reliability issues of the BB with 30mm spindle cranks is well documented, unless this comes with the RWC/Hope double-row bearing BB. Still, it's good to see them listening to the customers. I'll be able to again recommend Pivot to other riders I encounter, as they align with my personal belief that high end manufacturers should offer frames
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    This is definitely a step in the right direction, although the use of race face cranks is confusing, aside from the obvious crankarm durability issues of the Next SL: The PF30 interface was intended for 24mm shimano cranks, not 30mm and the reliability issues of the BB with 30mm spindle cranks is well documented, unless this comes with the RWC/Hope double-row bearing BB. Still, it's good to see them listening to the customers. I'll be able to again recommend Pivot to other riders I encounter, as they align with my personal belief that high end manufacturers should offer frames
    The spec is RF Next R cranks and a custom Enduro BB we have made for us featuring double row bearings. Fear not!

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    The spec is RF Next R cranks and a custom Enduro BB we have made for us featuring double row bearings. Fear not!

JP
    Nice, way to step it up!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Having a nice day!
    Kudos to Pivot for making this move. The last time I purchased a complete mountain bike was in 2003 I think.

EAT MORE GRIME
    make sense in this insanely complicated mtb world of new standards
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ran Simano XT boost crank for almost years on the switchblade. No issues the max chainride was 32 round. Oval would not work. I think the chainline was 53 or 54..q factor was 173 had plenty of room.

mtbr member
    Nice to hear. I can live with a frame + crank and BB option vs. having to buy a complete.

I've been beating on RF Next SLs and RF BBs with my 200lbs for years and I can't seem to wreck them. **sigh** I'll just have to try harder!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    I ran Simano XT boost crank for almost years on the switchblade. No issues the max chainride was 32 round. Oval would not work. I think the chainline was 53 or 54..q factor was 173 had plenty of room.
    Understood, but it won't back pedal as well as we'd like across the entire cassette, and you sacrifice some clearance between your chain and the outer knobs of your tire which could be problematic with wider tread and rough terrain.

By the same mindset, you can technically run 27.5 wheels on a 29er frame; you could probably get crazy with shims, caliper hardware, and your limit screws to make a 148 wheel work on a 157 frame; etc. etc. etc. But most riders want a setup that's more optimal. Our engineers are perfectionists, and we want all our customers to have the opportunity to have an experience on our bikes that's as close to 'perfect' as possible.

Cheers,
    JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I also ran the xx1 11 speed cassette with xtr derailleur shifter..best shifting and lightest combo around. 42x 10 so your lose the big eagle 50 pie plate. I have a eagle 12 speed now and the shifting under load is crappy. Cant have it all I guess.

mtbr member
    This is great news! As others have requested please release an alloy hardtail superboost bikes with plenty of Franks on standby as they will sell fast. We want reasonably priced hardtails with wheel compatibility with our Pivot FS bikes. Also consider offering different crank length options as i installed RF Aeffect 165mm cranks on my Switchblade which helps big time to prevent rock strikes.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

Elitest thrill junkie
    The only use I have for a hardtail these days is for a fatbike and commuting, and that market is flooded IMO.

Freezer
    I also ran the xx1 11 speed cassette with xtr derailleur shifter..best shifting and lightest combo around. 42x 10 so your lose the big eagle 50 pie plate. I have a eagle 12 speed now and the shifting under load is crappy. Cant have it all I guess.
    Not to criticize, but why shift under load? I've always thought that was just bad technique, and from a mechanical standpoint it's pretty abusive.
    Pivot Mach 5.5
    Yeti SB4.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The only use I have for a hardtail these days is for a fatbike and commuting, and that market is flooded IMO.
    You don't live in Arizona then. Plus hardtails are very popular here for good reason. It's also the home of Pivot so they should cater to the locals.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Usually it's when you gain momentum to roll up an incline. There is always some load on the chain. The 11 speed cassettes shift much better under moderate loads than the eagle. When I switched I really had to learn to back off or the eagle will cluck much more than the xx1 setup.

Freezer
    Usually it's when you gain momentum to roll up an incline. There is always some load on the chain. The 11 speed cassettes shift much better under moderate loads than the eagle. When I switched I really had to learn to back off or the eagle will cluck much more than the xx1 setup.
    Interesting. I have the SRAM 11-speed drivetrain on my Yeti and the Eagle XX1 on my Pivot and I've never noticed any difference in shifting other than the Eagle is incrementally smoother. Downshifting under load I always push hard before a downshift, back off during the downshift, then reapply power in the new gear. l've never had an issue downshifting like that. Now, mashing the pedals while downshifting is sort of like grinding gears in a car transmission...
    Last edited by mlloyd007; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:15 PM.
    Pivot Mach 5.5
    Yeti SB4.5

mtbr member
    Wihich crank length is included with the frame? Can we choose?

mtbr member
    And do we have a choice between the DPX2 and the X2 on the Switchblade when purchasing a Frank?