I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!

I tend to turn over my bikes every 4-5 years, and my 2012 S Works Stumpy FSR had hit that timeline...so I started looking around for a replacement. I got lucky and found a loaded up Switchblade owned by a guy who turns over his bikes a lot, so his was in superb shape with only 200 or so miles on it..

I'm pretty excited to try all the new tech on the bike (plus tires, new suspension, etc). Have to get it dialed in, will adjust the suspension air pressure before taking it out.

One thing I'm curious about, what tire pressure are you running on the SB in 27.5+ configuration? The prior owner ran 18-20psi, so right now I have 20 in there.

Best of all, my wife says this is the nicest looking bike I've had...whew!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am extremely jealous right now! Post up some pics! Im going to demo one this weekend, I'm 5' 10.5 and they have a size medium so im trying to figure out the best size for me. Post up your stats and frame size and how the sizing runs. Rider weight will come into play with tire psi. Happy wife Happy Life lol

mtbr member
    For tyres pressure, that all depends on your weight, what size tyres they are, what casing and what sort of terrain and speed you'll be doing. For me personally running PLUS tyres on a rigid & HT, in the rear I'm at around 15-17 PSI/ front about 12-14 PSI on i35 rims, weighing about 185lbs kitted to ride, prefer more slow tech than fast flowy, bermed DHs. What PSI is dependent on which plus tyre I'm running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The tires on my bike are the Maxxis Rekon 2.8, standard for the bike build. My frame is a medium, and I was a tad worried about the fit as I bought the bike without riding it prior (I know that is stupid but there are no pivot dealers at hand), but I got on it and all I had to do was raise the post an inch or so and the bike was immediately very comfy for me. As far as my stats go, I am 5'9", between 175-180 pounds depending on what I have eaten that week.

The only picture I have of the bike is in the garage, will hopefully have some better ones later today and will post them up.

I have to adjust the suspension air pressure, then should be good to go..hoping for first short ride later today.

Chilling out
    coehn,

FWIW, we're about the same height but you're healthier than I as I'm about 210 full-kit, on my (non Pivot) bike with Rekon 2.8's I find that 23# PSI (tubeless) works well for me, is a bit stiff for some but strong enough to protect from NE PA rocks at low and high speed.

I run a 3c front and 2c rear tire.

Depending upon your terrain and riding style I'd advocate starting no higher than 20# PSI, and going down from there 1-2 psi at a time to find your sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here are some pics of the bike, just taken this morning...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!-dsc_7472.jpg  

I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!-dsc_7473.jpg  

I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!-dsc_7474.jpg  

I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!-dsc_7476.jpg  

I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!-dsc_7477.jpg  

I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!-dsc_7479.jpg  

I just bought a fully loaded up Switchblade, very excited!-dsc_7481.jpg  

Turns right, slides left
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    Here are some pics of the bike, just taken this morning...
    That is a great looking rig!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, that's what my wife says...nicest looking bike I've owned. Hoping to get it dirty later today.

mtbr member
    I'd tend to agree as we're about the same kitted weight, but different heights. I was running Nobby Nic Snake Skin and then switched to the Rekon EXO/3C and found I need higher pressure because the Maxxis casing is thinner than the Schwalbe. As I said, in the rear about 15-17 PSI, but a go route is to start a bit high and then let out as you are riding until you find a sweet spot, or hear a rim strike, then add 1 PSI. Also remember that plus tyres are very sensitive to PSI increases and one PSI can make or break the performance of some tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Depending upon your terrain and riding style I'd advocate starting no higher than 20# PSI, and going down from there 1-2 psi at a time to find your sweet spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got the bike dirty this afternoon, short ride in our local regional park. Here are my first impressions.....

I was very comfortable on the bike, just made another adjustment to seatpost height and now all good. I'll probably swap out the grips, have been using ergon grips for years now and when my hands don't get numb, they are more comfortable. Also might make a couple of adjustments in the cockpit, not a big surprise to make everything just a little easier to reach. Only thing that is weird is the dropper cable location. It comes off the bar and makes a hard left right near the front brake lever. I may move that over an inch or so to get it so I don't hit it with my hand when reaching to brake. No biggie of course

As far as the bike goes...other than being a very comfy fit for me (which I was worried about since I hadn't sat on the bike before buying), my first impression is that the bike had prodigious grip. Does it make me a less slow climber...I don't know, but climbing sure does feel better with that rear tire planted and grabbing no matter what. The traction extends to everything else as well, no surprise to you perhaps, but it is noticeable. The bike clearly loves sandy dirt which I ran into a bit of today, much more stable because of the tire footprint. The suspension is like other current top fox suspensions, which is to say very, very smooth. I might play around with settings a bit more, but it seemed pretty good today. Brakes are very grippy, almost wish they were more progressive in how they engage, but I'll get used to them and they are powerful for sure.

As far as the di2 goes, it is fantastic! I loved the 'intelligent' shifting as it goes to the other ring when it thinks you are heading there. It is set in mode 's1'..I don't know how to change modes (will have to find a youtube video on settings for this thing), but I may just keep it as it is. The shift levers will take some getting used to, I had trouble finding them at first as they are smaller than I am used to, and sort of tucked away. Easy to move things around a bit if needed. I didn't use the dropper, actually I rarely do...but I know it works, that's good enough for now.

I only did about 9 miles, 1500 feet of climbing, but I am going to love the bike. Seems to make climbing easier, handles well, great suspension, and the di2 is really terrific. Not much more to ask for really.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Any new info or things you like/dislike with the switchblade?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    Got the bike dirty this afternoon, short ride in our local regional park. Here are my first impressions.....

I was very comfortable on the bike, just made another adjustment to seatpost height and now all good. I'll probably swap out the grips, have been using ergon grips for years now and when my hands don't get numb, they are more comfortable. Also might make a couple of adjustments in the cockpit, not a big surprise to make everything just a little easier to reach. Only thing that is weird is the dropper cable location. It comes off the bar and makes a hard left right near the front brake lever. I may move that over an inch or so to get it so I don't hit it with my hand when reaching to brake. No biggie of course

As far as the bike goes...other than being a very comfy fit for me (which I was worried about since I hadn't sat on the bike before buying), my first impression is that the bike had prodigious grip. Does it make me a less slow climber...I don't know, but climbing sure does feel better with that rear tire planted and grabbing no matter what. The traction extends to everything else as well, no surprise to you perhaps, but it is noticeable. The bike clearly loves sandy dirt which I ran into a bit of today, much more stable because of the tire footprint. The suspension is like other current top fox suspensions, which is to say very, very smooth. I might play around with settings a bit more, but it seemed pretty good today. Brakes are very grippy, almost wish they were more progressive in how they engage, but I'll get used to them and they are powerful for sure.

As far as the di2 goes, it is fantastic! I loved the 'intelligent' shifting as it goes to the other ring when it thinks you are heading there. It is set in mode 's1'..I don't know how to change modes (will have to find a youtube video on settings for this thing), but I may just keep it as it is. The shift levers will take some getting used to, I had trouble finding them at first as they are smaller than I am used to, and sort of tucked away. Easy to move things around a bit if needed. I didn't use the dropper, actually I rarely do...but I know it works, that's good enough for now.

I only did about 9 miles, 1500 feet of climbing, but I am going to love the bike. Seems to make climbing easier, handles well, great suspension, and the di2 is really terrific. Not much more to ask for really.
    DI2 tips
    1. I personally like S2. Less aggressive/lower gears shifting.
    2. I personally couldn’t better Shimano’s shifting algorithms using one shifter.
    3. My LBS covered the wire that runs into the rear derailleur with heat shrink wrap. I had a low speed fall and the wire became pinched between a rock and the rear axle nut. Became a single speed.
    4. The shifter stopped working. Turns out another bike on the shuttle pushed the levers out of position. A mechanic pushed them back into position.
    5. I use a bash guard. Not DI2 related, but the shifting turns to crap with beat up chain rings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the tips on the di2 settings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by builtupbowtie View Post
    Any new info or things you like/dislike with the switchblade?
    I still can't find anything I don't like on the bike. Haven't put that many miles on it, and not really difficult terrain yet (hopefully this afternoon), but so far I can't find a weakness. I guess some people say it isn't the fastest climber (I'm a really slow climber), but since most of my riding is on dry and often dusty trails, so far my 'butt-ometer' is telling me that the added traction at least offsets whatever speed climbing penalty there would be from the plus setup otherwise. I love the bike so far..

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Here in Phoenix, I run 19 front and 21 rear. I'm 230lbs, and have had great luck with this set up - mainly riding South Mountain.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Here in Phoenix, I run 19 front and 21 rear. I'm 230lbs, and have had great luck with this set up - mainly riding South Mountain.
    How does it handle the rough trails at SoMo? I'm interested in getting a SB in 29" after a demo ride but want to know if it's the right bike for rough rocky trails or would the 27.5+ version be better there?
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Did you manage to demo an SB? I fell in love during my demo so bought one today for pick up tomorrow. I'm 5'8" and a med fit me perfect so I think you should try a large.