Glowing review against dropper post on 5.7C- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Glowing review against dropper post on 5.7C

Reading Pivot's press page, the glowing review from MBA commented on the light weight and how using a dropper post would add an unnecessary pound to the carbon build.

Kind of humorous.

Do you use a dropper post on the 5.7 or 5.7C? I've never had one but tested a Reverb this week and it was nice. All my friends use droppers on their trail bikes, but none are even close to the weight weenie I am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Reading Pivot's press page, the glowing review from MBA commented on the light weight and how using a dropper post would add an unnecessary pound to the carbon build.

Kind of humorous.

Do you use a dropper post on the 5.7 or 5.7C? I've never had one but tested a Reverb this week and it was nice. All my friends use droppers on their trail bikes, but none are even close to the weight weenie I am.
    Yes, kinda silly to say it's unnecessary weight. Dropper posts are up there with modern forks, shocks, disc breaks, and rear derailleur clutches - i.e. they are a major advancement that has added to the sport and fundamentally changes the way people ride. An additional pound is nothing, especially when one considers how much more control and flexibility one has with a dropper on descents. I ran an Enduro race last weekend that had wicked fast descents with turns that required the saddle down. However, mixed in were accents and flats that required the seat up to get the most speed. Being able to change saddle height on the fly made all the difference. Also factor in that some situations are better with the saddle somewhere in he middle of full drop or up - you just don't get that with a standard post.

As for weight, there are lots of ways to shave a pound off - tires, wheels, etc. My 5.7c with a Reverb fluctuates between 25.5 and 26.75, depending on what pedals and tires I'm running. I never notice the weight difference when riding.

Get a dropper post, you won't be sorry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. Need to decide if I want the 100mm or 125mm for my medium frame. Decided on the 380mm length. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam if it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    Yes, kinda silly to say it's unnecessary weight. Dropper posts are up there with modern forks, shocks, disc breaks, and rear derailleur clutches - i.e. they are a major advancement that has added to the sport and fundamentally changes the way people ride. An additional pound is nothing, especially when one considers how much more control and flexibility one has with a dropper on descents. I ran an Enduro race last weekend that had wicked fast descents with turns that required the saddle down. However, mixed in were accents and flats that required the seat up to get the most speed. Being able to change saddle height on the fly made all the difference. Also factor in that some situations are better with the saddle somewhere in he middle of full drop or up - you just don't get that with a standard post.

As for weight, there are lots of ways to shave a pound off - tires, wheels, etc. My 5.7c with a Reverb fluctuates between 25.5 and 26.75, depending on what pedals and tires I'm running. I never notice the weight difference when riding.

Get a dropper post, you won't be sorry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Thanks. Need to decide if I want the 100mm or 125mm for my medium frame. Decided on the 380mm length. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam if it matters.
    Avoid the 2011 - it had issues with internals and with the hose connector at the saddle. Get either 2012 or 2013. Kind Shock is another option, but more expensive. Get the 125 mm, you'll want to have the ability to drop it 5 inches.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    KS also has a 150mm version. Those of us will longer legs sure do appreciate that.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    I second that recommendation on avoiding the 2011 Reverb. I had to bleed mine 3 times in 2 months before I took it into the shop for warranty. I was really disappointed with it until Rockshox replaced with a 2012 model.
    All of my complaints have been addressed...

Very happy with my 2012 Reverb now... not a single issue for 3 months
    Last edited by TJmackie; 05-18-2012 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The 2012 ones come out in silver as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by btibben View Post
    KS also has a 150mm version. Those of us will longer legs sure do appreciate that.
    Rockshox just announced a 150mm vernon for 2013 as well, though I believe the KS LEV 150mm will be available sooner.

mtbr member
    You are right, I just looked on their website nad they have a black or silver option.

When mine came back from warranty it had a black collar on it. I just assumed that that is how they were shipping now. All the pics of the new ones I have seen had the black collar.

Thanks for the correction

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love my reverb on my 5,7 carbon. The flexibility and convenience far out ways the weight Penalty for my kind of riding,
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am installing a kronolog on my 5.7 AL as of last night, it seems like it's just a bit too high at maximum height. Looking for a way to adjust it down 1 inch at max height dunno if that's possible

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by randomroot View Post
    I am installing a kronolog on my 5.7 AL as of last night, it seems like it's just a bit too high at maximum height. Looking for a way to adjust it down 1 inch at max height dunno if that's possible
    Yeah you can shim it so that it doesn't extend as high. Or you can just wait for the seatpost to start slipping....
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx View Post
    Yeah you can shim it so that it doesn't extend as high. Or you can just wait for the seatpost to start slipping....
    Links to the reviews that speak to the slipping ....

CrankBrothers Kronolog Dropper Seatpost - BikeRadar

Crankbrothers Kronolog Telescoping Seat Post - Tested - Pinkbike

Trying to be helpful
    That was the most ignorant comment, because if I have a 5.7 and 5.7c both with dropper posts, I still have a reduced weight of 5.lbs and now I have the added advantage of a dropper post.

Bunch of ignorant @sshats!!
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

pyroclastic flow
    Mt. Bike Fiction
    "THE FACT IS THIS FRICTION WILL ONLY BE WORN BY PERSISTENCE"
    2009 PIVOT MACH 4
    2018 IBIS RIPLEY LS

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=danK;9323127]Reading Pivot's press page, the glowing review from MBA commented on the light weight and how using a dropper post would add an unnecessary pound to the carbon build.

Kind of humorous.

Do you use a dropper post on the 5.7 or 5.7C? I've never had one but tested a Reverb this week and it was nice. All my friends use droppers on their trail bikes, but none are even close to the weight weenie I am.[/QUOTE

What is really silly is that one month, they say they would not put a dropper post on a 5.7c and the next month, they are testing the new Crank Brothers dropper post on, you guessed it, a 5.7c!

MBA is a joke sometimes.

Members who have read this thread: 0