Frame protection and fork protection tape- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Frame protection and fork protection tape

I am buying a new 2012 Pivot 5.7 in white.

Can anyone recommend a good, clear tape to protect the frame and fork? I am looking for something that goes on very clear.

Thanks.

dog
    sit! stay!
    i got some of this stuff recently...

ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 1 in. x 30 ft. (Transparent)

it's expensive (but so is my frame )... it also seems to go on pretty clear... seems to hold OK so far, but i have not used it for more than a month or so...
    just google it...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    i got some of this stuff recently...

ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 1 in. x 30 ft. (Transparent)

it's expensive (but so is my frame )... it also seems to go on pretty clear... seems to hold OK so far, but i have not used it for more than a month or so...
    just google it...
    Thanks. Was it hard to apply?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Check out Crankskins They got all kinds of stuff to protect all your bike parts.
    Ride it, don’t write about it!

dog
    sit! stay!
    no, it's not difficult it comes with a backing for the sticky side that you peel off... other than that it's just like tape...

that crankskins stuff sounds pretty interesting, too...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    +1 for Crank Skins. They just make it easier. Might not be the best or the cheapest

mtbr member
    If you have some time and patience on your hands you can try going to a tint shop that also specializes in car bras (paint protection film). I was able to go to my local car shop and pick up a 3' x 5' solargard film and just used a razor and xacto knife to cut it to my specs.

My Niner and Intense frames are 98% covered as well as my forks. Older models of Niner tends to paint chip eaiser. This way it looks new and better resale value.

This shows my Niner all covered up, can barely see it unless you are up close to it.

And in the right angle you can see the film, or overlap in my case. I double up for the downtube and chainstay.

of the 4-5 cars places I've been to, they recommend Solargard since the 3M tend to fade and/or yellow... but I assume from extended periods out in the sun, we don't have to worry about that so you should be fine with either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicz View Post
    If you have some time and patience on your hands you can try going to a tint shop that also specializes in car bras (paint protection film). I was able to go to my local car shop and pick up a 3' x 5' solargard film and just used a razor and xacto knife to cut it to my specs.

My Niner and Intense frames are 98% covered as well as my forks. Older models of Niner tends to paint chip eaiser. This way it looks new and better resale value.

This shows my Niner all covered up, can barely see it unless you are up close to it.

And in the right angle you can see the film, or overlap in my case. I double up for the downtube and chainstay.

of the 4-5 cars places I've been to, they recommend Solargard since the 3M tend to fade and/or yellow... but I assume from extended periods out in the sun, we don't have to worry about that so you should be fine with either.
    Looks good, thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You could also try Frameskin.com.au

They are in Australia but they will send their protective sets anywhere!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can buy the 3m stuff on ebay for $20 a sheet. Its usually in the auto parts section. They sell it for hood and mirror protection but works great for bikes. It peals right off if need be and its easy to manipulate for installation. Its really tough stuff. I use it for chain stay protection.

Never Forget 9-11
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    +1 for Crank Skins. They just make it easier. Might not be the best or the cheapest
    Another +1 on Crankskins
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just purchased a couple 6"x24", 8 MIL 3M sheets from ebay. The 3M stuff is really durable and goes on very clear.

mtbr member
    My FB came with 2 extra sets of stickers. I cut some small pieces off. They're pretty thick.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    +1 on the helicopter tape. I tried other stuff and it fell of or was a pain to apply. This stuff went on super easy and has not moved at all.

It was also one of the cheapest options out there!

Has a cycling disorder
    Have a look at the custom-shaped kits I developed recently for Pivot bikes, and see if they are up your alley.
    Frameskin for Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Frameskin
    Frameskin for Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon - Frameskin
    Frame protection and fork protection tape-pivot-mach-5.7c_8.jpgFrame protection and fork protection tape-pivot-mach-5.7c_27.jpgFrame protection and fork protection tape-pivot-mach-5.7c_3.jpgFrame protection and fork protection tape-pivot-mach-5.7c_25.jpgFrame protection and fork protection tape-pivot-mach-5.7c_31.jpgFrame protection and fork protection tape-pivot-mach-5.7c_21.jpgFrame protection and fork protection tape-pivot-mach-5.7c_28.jpg

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    Wow. You're not going to find a better fit than that. I swear by Crankskins and have it on all of my bikes, but a custom kit like that can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks awesome, do you have a version for a 5.7 aluminum?

Has a cycling disorder
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonDoL View Post
    Looks awesome, do you have a version for a 5.7 aluminum?
    Not as yet, but i'm in discussions with the local shop who carries them to complete the range as best as practical... including alloy models. They also carry Rocky Mountain and a few other brands, so I expect to be busy for a few weeks just with them and private orders. Flick me a message as a reminder as it is easy to get bogged down or pulled across to more urgent models.
    Alan
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadking1962 View Post
    I am buying a new 2012 Pivot 5.7 in white.

Can anyone recommend a good, clear tape to protect the frame and fork? I am looking for something that goes on very clear.

Thanks.
    I bought one of theese about a year ago and it is still holding up very well i havent had a single problem
    Clear Downtube | Lizard Skins

Has a cycling disorder
    If you have either of these frames, then this may suit
    Pivot - Frameskin
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    3m bra tape. 12"x4' on ebay. Around $10