Firebird 29 and SB5.5?- Mtbr.com
    Freezer

Firebird 29 and SB5.5?

I have a Yeti SB5.5 which I'm pretty happy with, but I've been waiting (forever) for a new Switchblade because honestly I just like Pivots more than Yetis. Anyway, Pivot had a demo day last weekend nearby, so on a whim I demo'd a Firebird 29. I was expecting a mini downhill bike that climbed ok, but I what I found was a long travel trail bike that climbed really well and was so fun downhill that I was hitting features I'd pretty much avoid on the SB5.5. Now I'm thinking why wait for a new Switchblade if the Firebird 29 climbs this well and is better downhill?

The other thing that worked really well was the sizing. I'm 5'-10" with +2" arms and I'm on a Large SB5.5, but I demo'd a Medium Firebird 29 and it actually felt really nimble and flickable. So now I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Firebird 29, but if I do, I'm not sure what to do with the SB5.5. Anybody have time on both and care to opine if they're different enough to have both, or similar enough to have just one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Y'all need to stop hyping the FB29 or I might accidentally buy one.

mtbr member
    I said this over a year ago...and was laughed at. The FB29 is such a great bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    I have a Yeti SB5.5 which I'm pretty happy with, but I've been waiting (forever) for a new Switchblade because honestly I just like Pivots more than Yetis. Anyway, Pivot had a demo day last weekend nearby, so on a whim I demo'd a Firebird 29. I was expecting a mini downhill bike that climbed ok, but I what I found was a long travel trail bike that climbed really well and was so fun downhill that I was hitting features I'd pretty much avoid on the SB5.5. Now I'm thinking why wait for a new Switchblade if the Firebird 29 climbs this well and is better downhill?

The other thing that worked really well was the sizing. I'm 5'-10" with +2" arms and I'm on a Large SB5.5, but I demo'd a Medium Firebird 29 and it actually felt really nimble and flickable. So now I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Firebird 29, but if I do, I'm not sure what to do with the SB5.5. Anybody have time on both and care to opine if they're different enough to have both, or similar enough to have just one?
    Your predicament is actually incredibly simple. Buy Firebird29, sell SB5.5, and take FB29 on a trip of its lifetime. While at given location, eat good food, drink good coffee/beer while you celebrate the SB5.5's great life it had.

It's a proper bike funeral

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I said this over a year ago...and was laughed at. The FB29 is such a great bike.
    100% agreed!

Firebird 29 and SB5.5?-img_0416.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post

Did you pull the trigger on the FB?

Freezer
    I did. See my post in the Fond of the Firebird thread.