May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jdaigneault View Post
    Oops,
    27.13 for medium 26.90 for small, in low position

thanks

rubber side down
    May 2007
    Hey guys,

Has anyone ridden the FB29 with 27.5+ wheels yet? Currently, have a Mach 5.5 but feel a bit under biked when doing shuttles and park laps, but love the snap and playfulness. Also have a Wreckoning, but the uphills are killing me on long ass days and not 100% sold on bigger wheels. Not into the older frames of the current model FB 27.5.

First world problems, I know!

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Curious where everyone has there fork and shock set too? I ride enduro with some pretty big features. Running 1 token up front, and I have added 1 band to the rear x2 for a total of 3 in the back. I’ve been playing with a shockwiz and it wants me to run very little HSC on the x2. I weigh 185 lbs, aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Heads up to those worried about seat post insertion. Despite some misinformation floating around, I was able to fit a LEV Integra 175mm dropper into my new large Firebird 29 and it slams all the way down. I was not able to fit a 175 mm 9.8 dropper and slam it. The 9.8 had about 10 mm to go before it bottomed.

This means that the actual insertion depth of a large Firebird 29 seatpost is right around around 265 mm (may a few mm more), which is the insertion depth of a LEV Integra 175mm. IIRC, this is about 15mm more than what Pivot told me by email and I posted earlier on this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    good to hear. im thinking about getting a bikeyoke 185 on the XL. The cylinder i 258mm, and including the center cable fixture its 289mm (this is smaller diameter)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This bike bangs. I've gotten 2 rides in, one at Three Sisters and the other at Apex. Both trails I've ridden many times. It basically tests you on how long you wanna go before hitting the brakes. Cannot believe how fast it is. Really does the best job of staying flickable and having the big bike capability of any of the long travel 29ers i've owned and ridden. I'm 6 feet 2 inches and riding an XL.

mtbr member
    *Disclaimer - these are just the thoughts of an enthusiastic amateur. Take with as much salt as you like.

I've spent several months now demoing what feels like dozens of bikes (including most of the Pivot and Evil range) and finally got to take the Firebird 29 out on the weekend. I haven't stopped smiling since - it blew me away.

It's the biggest bike I've ridden so far and felt ridiculously stable everywhere I took it, but it didn't feel cumbersome like I expected it to. Lift access is nothing more than a fantasy in my part of the world so every downhill requires a long ride to the top and this this thing was great. I was easily keeping up with (and even passing) my buddy on a carbon Stumpjumper and didn't feel overly fatigued at the top. It's obviously not a rocket ship, but it was easy to manoeuvre through tighter sections and the front wheel never felt like it was in danger of lifting or losing grip.

Obviously this thing crushed the descents. The extra travel and length of this bike gave me confidence I hadn't felt before and I found myself taking far more aggressive lines through rocky sections than I usually would. It did require a little more muscle to get it around some of the turns compared to the Switchblade but that's to be expected. Another surprise was how much fun it was to jump and pop off little features - I don't know if playful is the right word but it took no issue with my requests for it to leave the ground.

I don't know what sort of witchcraft they're practising over at Pivot, but somehow this thing turned out to be a pretty great all-rounder. Now I just need to convince myself to let go of the requisite funds to have one to call my own!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firebird 29-img_20180818_1654471.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I own a switchblade with 160 front + cap, and X2 on back cause I needed a more aggressive bike. Do you think the FB 29 in high setting is close enough in climbing and flow trail? I love my switchblade, but if the FB 29 is not too different, I don't see why not switch.
    Since you now have both, would love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stupordave View Post
    Too bad. Have to admit it looks better as it breaks up the colors a bit. Like the black lettering on the sandstone. Wouldn’t look as “classy” if it were all orange.

Regardless, the bike is well designed. I’ve ridden my friends v4 Nomad in the same park and trails as the FB29 and the geo and performance feel very similar with both in the low setting. And climb very similar in the higher setting. I felt the FB29 carried speed on flat terrain bit better though. Just need to convince myself now that I need both the Switchblade and the Firebird29.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm going to ask a total newb question. Here goes:

We constantly hear about the big bikes not being pedal friendly. Or at least not as easy to pedal as the smaller travel bikes.

If the FB29 has the same anti-squat as say their 429, you spend all the money to get it to the same weight (sub 30# for a large seems doable as my L Yeti 5.5 sits at 28.5#), the Effective Seat Tube Angle is steeper than anything I've ever had the pleasure of riding, and if you run the same tires that most everyone else runs (i.e 2.5 DHF & 2.3 Aggressor or 2.4 DHRII), why would this bike climb one iota slower than a 130mm travel bike?

I really want to understand. Does Pivot and others just not tune the rear suspension with as much AS as the travel increases? Does the extra travel in the forks result in more weight shifting?

What gives?
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-20-2018 at 05:26 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post

We constantly here about the big bikes not being pedal friendly. Or at least not as easy to pedal as the smaller travel bikes.

If the FB29 has the same anti-squat as say their 429, you spend all the money to get it to the same weight (sub 30# for a large seems doable as my L Yeti 5.5 sits at 28.5#), the Effective Seat Tube Angle is steeper than anything I've ever had the pleasure of riding, and if you run the same tires that most everyone else runs (i.e 2.5 DHF & 2.3 Aggressor or 2.4 DHRII), why would this bike climb one iota slower than a 130mm travel bike?

I really want to understand. Does Pivot and others just not tune the rear suspension with as much AS as the travel increases? Does the extra travel in the forks result in more weight shifting?

What gives?
    Suns, I was trying to figure this out also during my demo. I think the longer travel front may have been it but I would need more time on one to evaluate it more. You being a moto guy like myself try and demo one if you can. I think you might really appreciate what it can do.

I had the same impressions as ChefBrian had. I was thinking a SB as an addition to my 429t but there is something magical about the FB29 and I couldn't get enough. So one will be joining the quiver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I’m in the Chef/MX’er camp as well. I love the FB29. I was actually demoing a T429, but they were all out. The FB was available, so I took it...and didn’t expect much.

I was totally amazed at the FB’s capability. When I returned to the demo truck, the. Trail waavailable. I was underwhelmed with the Trail after riding it immediately following the FB.

I don’t believe I was any slower going up...and didn’t feel like I spent any extra effort. If I had to choose between those two, I’d take the FB.

Note: the only “trail” bike I thought was a noticeably better climber was the Yeti 4.5c.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I was underwhelmed with the Trail after riding it immediately following the FB.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I actually took the Trail 429 out prior to the FB29 and felt the same way. I still had a lot of fun but I expected it to be on another level to the SB/FB on the climbs and I didn't feel like it was. I found it quite harsh, albeit very precise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

We constantly hear about the big bikes not being pedal friendly. Or at least not as easy to pedal as the smaller travel bikes.

What gives?

I have ridden the FB29 back to back with my SB set at 160 and the SB is a way better climber. The FB29 is an efficient climber but on longer rides just tired me out.

I will add that the rear tire was a DHR2 compared to my aggressor so that could have been a major factor.

The FB29 is an amazing bike but saying it climbs like as well as a SB or M429 is simply just not true.

It is most likely a great technical climber but to say it takes less effort compared to the others is misleading.

Keep in mind I am a 36 year old guy, compared to a 20 year olds perspective it could be different. I am sure if i was riding this bike when i was 20 i would have a different opinion.

I ride 2-4 times per week depending on work so i consider myself a decent climber/fitness.

The SB5.5 is a much better climber also.

I think if your buying this bike as your do everything bike then please compare this back to back with other bikes.

DH is a different story this thing is insane.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    The FB29 is an amazing bike but saying it climbs like as well as a SB or M429 is simply just not true.

It is most likely a great technical climber but to say it takes less effort compared to the others is misleading.
    Sorry...but that was exactly my experience. I was not racing...but riding fairly quickly (for me) to determine what the bike's capabilities are. I did not think either the SB or Trail climbed noticeably better; also, I was no more tired riding a FB over an hour than I was riding either of the other two.

If I had a stopwatch, was the Trail faster? I don't know...it didn't seem that way. And if it was, it was by a handful of seconds...as to be meaningless. I tried the Mach...but I immediately didn't like it (like the Ibis Ripley) b/c it was too small and I felt cramped...so it could be faster, but it would be a miserable faster.

I know people ask: what's the "better" bike? For me, the FB was MUCH more fun...so it is the better bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I actually rode two Firebird 29s this morning and the ripmo. My standard whip is a Yeti 5.5.

It was just a parking lot ride with every curb I could find. And me trying to apply as much pressure into the pedals like I would on a real climb.

Both FB29 ers felt a bit soggy in the rear compared to what I'm used to even with one having less sag than I would typically run. And compared directly back-to-back with the ripmo as well.

There is no doubt that it's a rad bike, and if I was able to go to the bike park more or was frankly just a more extreme rider it would be the 1. Also maybe the best looking bike I've ever looked at in person.

The bikes on my very short list now are the foxy 29, or one of the new Yetis. The reality is I'm a pretty good descender, but I don't do huge jumps, and I struggle on long persistent climbs. And I need a bike that helps me in those situations.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This bike is bonkers.

Built mine up last Thursday night. Haven't gotten dry trail time on it yet, but it was been eating up my local east coast rocky DH trails like they are flat. Proper DH that is, where dual crown bikes aren't out of place....

I've tried the last two years to ride beefed up mid travel bikes like a Switchblade and a coil sprung Stumpjumper for enduros. I'm not an OG like Jared Graves, so it only kinda worked. I was able to make those bikes feel uncomfortable and sketch on some descents. I haven't even come close to that feeling on the big bird. I'll be riding moto (woods that is) a TON this winter, along with a lot of laps.

Its a heavy long travel bike. It's not going to climb like a XC whippet. 34.5lbs race weight (tires and inserts). With that said, flip the climb switch (first time I have used the switch regularly in a while), suck it up, and push pedals. It'll get up the hill. Note, this is not my only bike, nor would I want this to be my one bike. My slacked out hardtail handles "daily driver" duties just fine.

I am hoping it is dry this weekend at the Mountain Creek ESC race to really let the bird fly.

Firebird 29-f3c47f1a-e359-4fea-bc04-0905e66a1a58-3-.jpg
    Firebird 29-bbba7c9c-2bd9-452f-981d-7cfd52d00b4d-3-.jpg

Yes, the bike makes you smile that much (relax, it's photoshop. I had a helmet on)

Firebird 29-img_2187-2-.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pivotal figure
    Phew! For a second I was thinking you were all cranium!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had the opportunity to race a FB at Downieville a couple of weeks ago. It's a capable climber, but I felt the extra weight over my 429T on the uphill. Once we turned downhill, the only thing that kept me from PR on the course was the slower traffic that passed me on the uphill (52 yr old legs don't climb as fast as they once did...) But on the open sections, this bike was so much of a blast, it has me reconsidering a Trail 429 or SB for my next bike. Clocked an hour from baby heads to the finish and likely left 7-8 minutes on the course from traffic.

I'll likely keep my 429T and add a FB or a Mach 5.5 (rode one in Telluride last week and it was loads of fun and close to the downhill capability as the FB).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    Over 5 consecutive weekends I took out a medium Switchblade, then a Mach 6, then a large Switchblade, then the Trail 429 then finally the FB29 (all carbon bikes). My laps are always preceded by a 30 minute climb and my buddies and I will usually get 3 laps in a session before the legs start to give out and the desire for beer becomes too strong.

The climbs are a casual affair, we never race to the top or go too crazy. It's a case of taking a seat, finding a rhythm and spinning up. As a 32 year old, mostly seated climber I found the FB29 as good as the SB and only marginally more work than the Trail429 (which I thought felt surprisingly heavy for a 120mm trail bike). I found it supportive with the shock in the climb setting and no rocks or tree roots seemed to slow it down at all.

I don't think anyone here is claiming the FB to be an XC rocket, but it isn't anywhere near as compromised on the climbs as you'd expect from a bike this long and slack. With that in mind, you're getting all the confidence of a mini DH sled without much of a corresponding sacrifice.

On balance, I found it to be a brilliant package.

mtbr member
    FB probably doesn't have bad kinematics and it's geometry is fine for pedalling but people keep forgetting it's mini DH and as such it's sagged shock is going to dive deeper into the travel on uphills further slackening the angles and considering it's an aggressive bike, you're going to be riding grippy tough tires, so around kilo per tire and of course tough wheels to keep up with the bike's intended purpose. All this adds quite a bit of weight and drag and I have hard time believing it won't be significantly slower and harder to pedal.

Recently, I jumped on my friend's SWorks Epic and compared to my SB it's almost effortless to pedal but that's mostly due to difference in wheels and tires. If I were to put similar wheels on my SB it would be close but the bike's purpose would be lost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    All this adds quite a bit of weight and drag and I have hard time believing it won't be significantly slower and harder to pedal.
    This isn't a question of faith, take one for a demo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ...you're going to be riding grippy tough tires, so around kilo per tire and of course tough wheels to keep up with the bike's intended purpose. All this adds quite a bit of weight and drag and I have hard time believing it won't be significantly slower and harder to pedal.
    Why? I don’t get why people seem to think that a 170/162 bike HAS to have heavy tires with DH casing, Cush-core, etc.

If you can have only one bike, There’s nothing wrong with having a lightish wheelset with a 2.3 combo for most days and a second burly set up for park/dh days.

A bike’s “intended purpose” is whatever you’re using it for. Generally, my bike’s intended purpose is to let me have fun.

mtbr member
    Because if you're riding a terrain where you don't need such geometry and travel you're far better riding shorter travel bike. Not just because it's going to be faster and more agile, it's going to be far more fun.

I've got SB and it's more bike than I need for 80% of my local riding, some flattish trails are much more fun with a shorter travel bike or *gasp* hardtail. It's feeling in it's element when riding very steep terrain with jumps and drops between 1 and 2 meters (comparable what my friend is riding on his Reign) and FB would demand even rougher terrain and more aggressive riding. I don't know who would want to pedal more bike than that, and if you add big tires it becomes such a pig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Because if you're riding a terrain where you don't need such geometry and travel you're far better riding shorter travel bike. Not just because it's going to be faster and more agile, it's going to be far more fun.
    But I think that's what I, Chef, and MX-er are telling you. I don't know their terrain, but mine does not call for an Enduro sled. By looking at my terrain, a 120/110ish bike would be perfect. But you don't ride terrain.

I rode the FB29, the T429, Switchblade, 4.5C, Smuggler, and Ibis Ripley...all on my terrain...in a single weekend. Out of all of those, the only one I really want is FB29. The 4.5 need more reach and the Smuggler needs to peddle better. None of the others were faster (in a loop with climbs and descents) and they were definitely not more fun.

Maybe the geometry and kinematics of the FB are a match for my size and style...I don't know...I just know that the FB is a really enjoyable bike...even on terrain that doesn't appear to call for it.

I am waiting to see what the SB130 is like and if there's a new Switchblade, but if I HAD to buy right now, I'd pick up a FB without any reservation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anyone having trouble with creaking bottom brackets? Mine started creaking within 5 rides. Sort of a bummer on a brand new bike. I'll probably get my shop to pull it and install it with Park BB compound.

As for the climbing/efficiency debate, I just got back from riding 2 weeks in BC and have a real good handle on the bike now. The bike is an enigma because it seems to be very efficient at the pedals during climbing, but still a little sluggish at the same time. However, certainly very acceptable. I think it's just the slack head angle and long legged suspension that combine to rob some sprightliness. I don't think you'll find any big 160/170mm bikes that are any sprightlier though. You'd have to downsize to get that feeling back. For me, I'm super happy with the uphill/downhill balance that the bike has struck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I used to frequent these forums years ago, but I haven't been around for a looooong time.

I wanted to chime in on this thread because I followed it for weeks before I decided to pickup a FB29. I rode a 2015 Mach 6 before this bike, and that Mach 6 was my only mountain bike for three years. I rode it all over Arizona, raced in the Whisky Off Road 50, rode up and down anything in front of me. My next bike was going to be the 5.5...until the FB29 was released.

I knew I wanted the bike, but looking at the geo numbers really messed me up. I rode a medium Mach 6 and the fit was perfect. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. However, looking at the numbers and recommendations from Pivot, it seemed like the medium FB29 would feel uncomfortably big. I had the opportunity to do a parking lot test on a medium and my suspicion was right - the medium felt big. I asked my local shop (Absolute Bikes in Flagstaff) to size me up and we finally came to the conclusion to order the small - best decision I could've made. I felt right at home on the small from day 1.

I've had the bike for two weeks now and I'm in love. This is my only mountain bike, just like my Mach 6 was. If I'm going riding in the forest, it's on this bike. It definitely makes things simple...

According to Strava I'm faster up and down the hill on this bike. I'm sure some of that is the new-bike magic, but I'm also recovering from a torn meniscus 9 weeks ago. Maybe it really is faster uphill? Time will tell. I'm not going to say this bike feels nimble going uphill. Just looking down at 170mm of travel and 2.5" minions on 29" wheels is intimidating. But for how incredible this bike is going downhill, it's uphill efficiency is actually amazing. So far, I'm very happy with this bike as my do-everything.

Firebird 29-img_4591-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevs View Post
    I used to frequent these forums years ago, but I haven't been around for a looooong time.

I wanted to chime in on this thread because I followed it for weeks before I decided to pickup a FB29. I rode a 2015 Mach 6 before this bike, and that Mach 6 was my only mountain bike for three years. I rode it all over Arizona, raced in the Whisky Off Road 50, rode up and down anything in front of me. My next bike was going to be the 5.5...until the FB29 was released.

I knew I wanted the bike, but looking at the geo numbers really messed me up. I rode a medium Mach 6 and the fit was perfect. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. However, looking at the numbers and recommendations from Pivot, it seemed like the medium FB29 would feel uncomfortably big. I had the opportunity to do a parking lot test on a medium and my suspicion was right - the medium felt big. I asked my local shop (Absolute Bikes in Flagstaff) to size me up and we finally came to the conclusion to order the small - best decision I could've made. I felt right at home on the small from day 1.

I've had the bike for two weeks now and I'm in love. This is my only mountain bike, just like my Mach 6 was. If I'm going riding in the forest, it's on this bike. It definitely makes things simple...

According to Strava I'm faster up and down the hill on this bike. I'm sure some of that is the new-bike magic, but I'm also recovering from a torn meniscus 9 weeks ago. Maybe it really is faster uphill? Time will tell. I'm not going to say this bike feels nimble going uphill. Just looking down at 170mm of travel and 2.5" minions on 29" wheels is intimidating. But for how incredible this bike is going downhill, it's uphill efficiency is actually amazing. So far, I'm very happy with this bike as my do-everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4591 (1).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	1213217
    5’9” on a small?!?!?!
    Damn! I’m 5’10” on a large and very comfortable.

mtbr member
    5’9” on a small?!?!?!
    Damn! I’m 5’10” on a large and very comfortable.
    That just shows how we all like a specific fit. I am seeing this more and more now with the shorter ST allowing to go up or down 2 sizes
    But agree, 5'9" on a S sounds like an extreme...
    Well, he is running the seat on FB all the way back, so might be still used to that extremely slack ST Mach 6 had...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    But I think that's what I, Chef, and MX-er are telling you. I don't know their terrain, but mine does not call for an Enduro sled. By looking at my terrain, a 120/110ish bike would be perfect. But you don't ride terrain.

I rode the FB29, the T429, Switchblade, 4.5C, Smuggler, and Ibis Ripley...all on my terrain...in a single weekend. Out of all of those, the only one I really want is FB29. The 4.5 need more reach and the Smuggler needs to peddle better. None of the others were faster (in a loop with climbs and descents) and they were definitely not more fun.

Maybe the geometry and kinematics of the FB are a match for my size and style...I don't know...I just know that the FB is a really enjoyable bike...even on terrain that doesn't appear to call for it.

I am waiting to see what the SB130 is like and if there's a new Switchblade, but if I HAD to buy right now, I'd pick up a FB without any reservation.
    I ride tight northeast st with Rocks, roots, switchbacks and step ups. I am 51yo and beat up body. The long travel just gives me that extra cush that eases the aches and pains in the old body. I realize younger guys don't understand that yet. LOL For me the but of climbing snap I give up from my 429t is made up by the cush, control and pure confidence the FB gives me. ymmv

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fanderson View Post
    Anyone having trouble with creaking bottom brackets? Mine started creaking within 5 rides. Sort of a bummer on a brand new bike. I'll probably get my shop to pull it and install it with Park BB compound.

As for the climbing/efficiency debate, I just got back from riding 2 weeks in BC and have a real good handle on the bike now. The bike is an enigma because it seems to be very efficient at the pedals during climbing, but still a little sluggish at the same time. However, certainly very acceptable. I think it's just the slack head angle and long legged suspension that combine to rob some sprightliness. I don't think you'll find any big 160/170mm bikes that are any sprightlier though. You'd have to downsize to get that feeling back. For me, I'm super happy with the uphill/downhill balance that the bike has struck.
    I agree with the enigma analogy. I still wonder if some of that sluggish feeling is more from the fork? I also felt that but it didn't feel like it was a real bad thing for me. I only noticed that on smooth climbs. Soon as you add tight techy st with rocks, roots etc the FB climbed better versus my 429t. Of course this is just what I felt and experienced and the old adage ymmv stands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Considering a small sounded crazy to me too, but in the end it felt much more comfortable than the medium. If I were only riding park and needed the most stable platform it might be a different story.

I’m sure a lot of you have seen this, but according to Pivots recommended sizing I’m not totally crazy:

Small: 5'4" – 5'9"
    Medium: 5'8" – 5'11"
    Large: 5'11" – 6'3'
    X-Large: 6'2" +

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevs View Post
    Small: 5'4" – 5'9"
    Medium: 5'8" – 5'11"
    Large: 5'11" – 6'3'
    X-Large: 6'2" +
    I'm 6'4" and felt pretty good on a medium, which already felt like a huge bike. I'm definitely an XL according to their size guide but I'm slightly intimidated by how massive that thing must be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefBrian View Post
    I'm 6'4" and felt pretty good on a medium, which already felt like a huge bike. I'm definitely an XL according to their size guide but I'm slightly intimidated by how massive that thing must be.
    I'm 5'11" and raced a large at Downieville and it felt great. But I've got a 33" inseam and longer arms...I wanted to push the saddle back to get a little more room in the cockpit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    curious how everyone has their fox 36 and in my case the fox x2 shock set-up? tokens? hsc/lsc/hsr/lsr settings?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anyone got any good ride time on a xl yet. The firebird 29 is high up on my list, but coming from a super stable long stay sb6, I’m worried that the short stays and relatively high B.B. might make the bike a bit twitchy on descents and also more prone to flip out on steep technical climbs. Particularly on an xl as the center forward/ center back ratio will be at its greatest. Or are my concerns unfounded?

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden one yet but I'm unsure about the short chain stays too. I know it's a Pivot thing, heck one of the purposes of super boost is to allow shorter stays but going shorter and shorter has drawbacks. I don't know where the line is but certainly it can be crossed.

I've demoed quite a few ebikes lately just for grins and the bikes with the longer chain stays are most definitely more stable and make you want to just open the throttle on descents. This was so striking that I started to seek out 29er enduro bikes with long stays. Not to many of them. Intense Carbine is one but alas frames are sold out in XL or I'd be on one as an experiment.

FB29 has a lot going for it in other ways and the suspension design might counteract the short stays and issues it gives for climbing. In short, I need to demo a FB29. It and the new SB150 are on my short list.

Norco IMO has it figured out by doing longer stays as frame size increases.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    curious how everyone has their fox 36 and in my case the fox x2 shock set-up? tokens? hsc/lsc/hsr/lsr settings?
    I'm curious about this too. I'm currently trying to balance the beginning and end stroke. Seems like it wants to use the beginning stroke a little too easily and the end stroke too stingily. My X2 came with 3 spacers and I'm currently experimenting with two. My H/L compression is backed almost all the way off. The ramp up at the end of the stroke is pretty crazy on this bike with all three spacers in it.

mtbr member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP7GOjMJlz0&t=51s

These guys rarely seem excited about anything (except maybe craft beer) so I always find it a bit difficult to gauge whether they like a bike, but some interesting comments nonetheless.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm just as fast uphill on the FB29 vs my old SB. Strava said so. Downhill, it isn't even close. Trails I used to save for shuttle days or when I was feeling zesty are now a legit part of my "XC" rides in short time. The trails where full faces and DH bikes actually make sense. Trails where rocky hucks at -50 degree grade are common. Smashing into sh1t with finesse rewards you with tons of speed and so much control.

Handled Mountain Creek just fine. Enduro'd like a boss and handled fun laps down the ESC DH track like it was flat. Jump line was a blast on the bike.

Get a SB if you want one "do it all bike." Get a FB29 and something shorter travel if you want something snappy on the flatter grades and a mountain slaying beast on everything else. FB29 and a over-forked Spec Fuse (plus hardtail) are great for east coast, for me.

Sharing suspension settings online is hard. Stock shock is 3 spacers. I'm at 4. May goto 5 and dump some HSC next week. Better to just start with recommended baselines and tinker. Keep running notes on what you changed and how much. Make notes on how the bike feels with each change. Don't go overboard with changes, be methodical.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    All right, after one month on this bike, it's time for my review.

If I had to describe the Firebird 29 in 3 words, I would say: Composed, agile and confidence-inspiring.

Background: I'm 49, been riding on an off for like 9 years when I was doing mostly XC, which never really got me too excited. 2 years ago i got into riding bigger trails, which led me to enduro, and then to DH. I'm now hooked on big gnarly steep stuff and on bike park flowy jump lines.

In the space of two years I sold my XC bike (Scott Spark) got a Trance, then an Intense Tracer. I never felt well "balanced" on the Tracer - which led to a bad accident. I sold it and got a Switchblade, and then I decided to try the Firebird 29 which I received early August.

I got the XT/XTR build and two sets of wheels - the stock DT Swiss M1700 with big 2.6/2.5 DHF/DHR tyres for big DH tech and park days, and a set of carbon wheels (enve M630) with smaller 2.3 tyres (DHF/Agressor) for lighter enduro and trail riding that require more uphill pedalling. I'm 5'8" and got a medium. I also pushed the seat forward to the maximum, not because of my fit, but puts you in a better position for improved pedal-ability.

Took the FB 29 to Killington, Highland, St-Sauveur (QC), Bromont (QC), and on some XC and enduro-type local trails.

Uphills: They are really great. Really easy bike to pedal, especially with the enve wheels and 2.3" tyres. I actually prefer the FB29 to my SB on tight steep switchback climbs. The SB seems to want to wheelie whereas the FB29 stays more stuck to the ground and is more grippy (using the same enve wheels on both bikes by the way...) Of course, XC guys will regularly and easily pass me on uphills, but I'm not and will never be of the XC/triathlon type. These guys would have passed me even if I were on an ebike for that matter.

Downhill Technical/Enduro: For gnarly steep descents, this is your bike. The FB29 always remains composed and inspires confidence. You go fast and don't realize it. I've easily passed ultra-steep sections where I would have gone OTB on any other bike. The 29" wheels give you that additional advantage in that they will roll over anything, making steep technical descents much smoother and easier. But at the same time, the bike doesn't feel big. It's very agile, even on tight turns. It goes anywhere - you really can't tell it's a 29er.

Bike park jump lines - The bike is fast and jumped very well, had good "pop", and made me easily clear big jumps (like on Killington's Blue Magic and Black Magic). It was especially forgiving when I cased jumps or over-landed, giving a much needed break to my worn out knees. On a few occasions I think I would have had a few very bad wipe-outs (as in hospital trips) if it hadn't been for the FB29's ability to put you back on a straight track and let you continue your run as if nothing happened. It's like auto-correct on wheels.

Interesting comparison: I had to rent a bike one afternoon in Killington after I had a problem with a wheel. I got a (Pivot) Phoenix and quite frankly I couldn't see any advantage over the FB29. In fact it took away a lot on the handling due to the dual crown. I took it back and got a Firebird 27.5 instead. This is a completely different bike from the FB 29. Doesn't pedal the same at all and I could immediately tell a huge difference on the rolling ability on more technical trails. The 29 is MUCH faster.

Trail/XC riding - it can do it no problem, but it's not so much fun - it lacks the "snap" of a smaller travel bike, which is to be expected. It's also tiring on tight turns as the slack headtube angle makes the front wheel want to lean sideways and over-turn after a certain angle.

As someone else said, a great combo if you are my type would be the FB29 for like 85% of what I do and either a hard tail or a light XC bike for when I need to join my lycra-clad buddies on their XC rides.

Conclusion: The Switchblade will be for sale very soon.
    Last edited by NoelB; 09-03-2018 at 04:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Loving my bird - here are my suspension settings:
    Rider weight - 190lbs
    Trails - rough enduro with jumps, drops, gap jumps, rock gardens, roots
    X2 - 210 psi pump gauge, 203 psi actual - shockwiz
    3 bands - factory came with 3
    HSR - 7 from open
    LSR - 5 from open
    HSC - 5 from open
    LSC - 1 from open

FOX 36
    shock gauge - 60 psi, actual 53 psi - shockwiz
    1 token
    HSR 4 from open
    LSR 5 from open
    HSC 8 from open
    LSC 9 from open

for park days I leave the FOX 36 as is. On the X2 I add 2 clicks of LSR and 2 clicks of HSC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Loving my bird - here are my suspension settings:
    Rider weight - 190lbs
    Trails - rough enduro with jumps, drops, gap jumps, rock gardens, roots
    X2 - 210 psi pump gauge, 203 psi actual - shockwiz
    3 bands - factory came with 3
    HSR - 7 from open
    LSR - 5 from open
    HSC - 5 from open
    LSC - 1 from open

FOX 36
    shock gauge - 60 psi, actual 53 psi - shockwiz
    1 token
    HSR 4 from open
    LSR 5 from open
    HSC 8 from open
    LSC 9 from open

for park days I leave the FOX 36 as is. On the X2 I add 2 clicks of LSR and 2 clicks of HSC.

Thanks for your feedback. Did your Fox 36 come with one token? I've been meaning to crack mine open to look.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The fox 36 came with zero tokens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What a beast this is!! Love it!
    Will get a bar with more rise, install shorty maxxgrip in front, a 203mm rotor and a seat post with more travel. Firebird 29-20180916_113748-01.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The fox 36 came with zero tokens.
    Cracked my fork open and it had zero tokens as well. Stuck two 8cc tokens in and it certainly livened up the fork a lot. After re-balancing the rear X2, the whole bike feels much more lively now.

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    I took the bike to a park for first time yesterday (XO1 Pro). Some mtb buffs would have sworn my large was an XL (no way that's not an XL...), bike does look big. Only changes I made was 203 front rotor, and small fender. I need to get suspension set up (started with 85psi in fork, way too much; 210 in shock was pretty close ... I'm 205lbs). What a great bike. Trying to figure out what I'd change ... maybe grips. That's it. I have a shorter travel bike for trails, but this rides just fine on the trails and hauls on the slopes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xseal View Post
    I took the bike to a park for first time yesterday (XO1 Pro). Some mtb buffs would have sworn my large was an XL (no way that's not an XL...), bike does look big. Only changes I made was 203 front rotor, and small fender. I need to get suspension set up (started with 85psi in fork, way too much; 210 in shock was pretty close ... I'm 205lbs). What a great bike. Trying to figure out what I'd change ... maybe grips. That's it. I have a shorter travel bike for trails, but this rides just fine on the trails and hauls on the slopes.
    Plan on cutting the bars or replacing them if you swap grips... unless you get more PadLoc grips.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by majorjake View Post
    Plan on cutting the bars or replacing them if you swap grips... unless you get more PadLoc grips.

I’ve actually grown to like the grips. They felt thick when I first got the bike, but I like them now. Will stick with them when time to replace.
    My seat has a tear in it. Does anyone know if I order the wtb high tail thru pivot if I will get the pivot emblem on it like what comes stock?

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by majorjake View Post

Is that b/c of the notches on the bar ends? I was wondering what those were for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes. The grips are very nice actually. However, I wanted more rise, so I got a fatbar and put on some grips I had laying around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xseal View Post
    Is that b/c of the notches on the bar ends? I was wondering what those were for.
    Take a look at WTB's site for PadLoc info. They have a variety of compatible grips available too.

I picked up a pair of the thick Clydesdale grips to help with my sore hands, worked well.

rubber side down
    May 2007
    I’ve actually grown to like the grips. They felt thick when I first got the bike, but I like them now. Will stick with them when time to replace.
    My seat has a tear in it. Does anyone know if I order the wtb high tail thru pivot if I will get the pivot emblem on it like what comes stock?
    You can have my seat for $40! Took it off the FB29 immediately. Sent you a DM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by daleydouble View Post
    You can have my seat for $40! Took it off the FB29 immediately. Sent you a DM.
    I sent you a txt

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Has anyone else noticed pivot revised the geo #'s for the firebird 29 on their website. Seat tube angle is now 75.75 in low and 76.25 in high -previously 74.5 and 75, respectively.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Whoa, that's weird. Must have changed their measurement methodology. Can't believe that they would've change the frame itself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by old68 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed pivot revised the geo #'s for the firebird 29 on their website. Seat tube angle is now 75.75 in low and 76.25 in high -previously 74.5 and 75, respectively.
    Climbs better now!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Also, sizing of the FB29 discussed at 3:40.

https://youtu.be/OSvjlo3TXY0

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Whoa, that's weird. Must have changed their measurement methodology. Can't believe that they would've change the frame itself.
    Yeah, I believe you are right. This topic is actually discussed in Q&A with Chris Cocalis under this review. I guess they have adjusted the measurement methodology to be more "competitive" with other brands on the paper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Svobodarider View Post
    I guess they have adjusted the measurement methodology to be more "competitive" with other brands on the paper.
    Alternative facts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys... a pleasure share with you this beast...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^ Nice

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianoMTB View Post
    Guys... a pleasure share with you this beast...

^That's sick!!!^

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Firebird 29-iwqb1106.jpg

my firebird 29 doing what it loves to do best - fly!

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Nice looking rides, everyone. Here's mine pretending it just wandered on to the set of Breaking Bad:
    Firebird 29-img_1211.jpg
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member

What gives?
    With the same wheel/tire setup the bikes will climb the same. Geo/travel has nothing to do with fire road climbing, but it can make a big difference on technical sections. My experience is that a long/slack bike with a steep seat tube angle will actually climb tech BETTER than an XC bike and with less energy. This is because you don't have to fight to keep the front wheel on the ground in the steep and rough sections. Instead you can relax and let the bike do the work. The amount of energy expended trying to keep the front wheel on the ground and pointed in the right direction is almost equal to the energy required to pedal in technical situations.

Flip side of this is that you won't run the same wheel and tire setup because it will get destroyed within a few miles. This is because the longer travel bike is way more capable and fun on the descents so you will A) be riding stuff you wouldn't even attempt on the other bikes B) you will be riding at speeds that you couldn't even imagine on the shorter travel bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I feel that a longer travel bike would use lower shock and fork pressure, which would move more and thus "wasting" more energy. I can feel this when standing up pedalling my fb29. However it is very efficient when sitting and when you take the long travel into account, it climbs extremely well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    One more pic of the beast... the bike it’s outstanding in Rocky sections and stepper zones...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone run a 160 fork dpx2 and mid weight tires for a more lighter AM/trail build and swap out to the 170 and burly setup for parks?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yes, well kind of. I’ve got a second set of wheels - very light enve m630 - that I use with 2.3” tyres and a sunrace 11-50t cassette for trail riding (as opposed to the m1700 with 2.5/2.4” for the chunky and DH rides). Definitely a big improvement for trail riding, but still not as fun and snappy as a real trail bike. Would love to see how this combo does with a DP X2 though.

I’m in Moab right now, I think this is a really good combo for this type of terrain.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried a 27.5x3.0 tire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Why mess with a good thing, bike rips with 29x2.5, plenty of traction and speed, leave it as is, it’s perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Cracked my fork open and it had zero tokens as well. Stuck two 8cc tokens in and it certainly livened up the fork a lot. After re-balancing the rear X2, the whole bike feels much more lively now.
    Is it only me who thinks its pretty cheap by Fox to not include tokens that costs them a under a dollar to make on a fork that sells for 1300 USD?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    Is it only me who thinks its pretty cheap by Fox to not include tokens that costs them a under a dollar to make on a fork that sells for 1300 USD?
    When you buy the fork retail you get them, so just maybe it's Pivot. It's been years since I bought a complete so don't know if other brands include them.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No, fox provide them nornally.
    Its pretty cheap of pivot and all other brands not to include them - they negotiate OEM prices and cut costs by not including spares / extras etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    No, fox provide them nornally.
    Its pretty cheap of pivot and all other brands not to include them - they negotiate OEM prices and cut costs by not including spares / extras etc
    So again the issue is with Pivot not Fox. Blame should be placed where it belongs. mykle is blaming Fox when it's not them.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    All right, cheap of pivot then. On my last bike, a Canyon, it came with bleed kits, spares, tokens, torque tool etc.

Btw, it was my pivot dealer that told me fox was to blame...

mtbr member
    Most OE bikes don't come with that kinds of stuff. If Pivot does provide which is possible but you didn't get them it's on the shop as they didn't include after building the bike up.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Does the top tube have water bottle bosses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    Does the top tube have water bottle bosses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No water bottle bosses at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    All right, cheap of pivot then. On my last bike, a Canyon, it came with bleed kits, spares, tokens, torque tool etc.

Btw, it was my pivot dealer that told me fox was to blame...

Of course the dealer did, did you expect to say yea Pivot went the cheap route and decide not to include them.

Hell it might not even be a cost issue. They already feel buyers are too stupid to pick the correct rear hub, maybe they think buyers are too stupid to know how to correctly install tokens and don't want to deal with all the warranty claims from incompetent owners.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There are bosses in the underside of the downtube on the F29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matim View Post
    I own a switchblade with 160 front + cap, and X2 on back cause I needed a more aggressive bike. Do you think the FB 29 in high setting is close enough in climbing and flow trail? I love my switchblade, but if the FB 29 is not too different, I don't see why not switch.
    Since you now have both, would love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks
    It’s absolutely better for some more aggressive riding. The travel makes the bike more comfortable but the geometry is what set’s it apart for the downs. I demo’d a large as well a few weeks later and did about 3000ft of climbing on it and that was enough to tell the difference in climbing between the SB and the FB29. It just wore me down a bit quicker than normal. It was a monster truck uphill with more grip but I was absolutely slower and needed the granny to finish the last climbs. The FB29 would be great for a park bike/trail bike but may be overgunnned as a replacement for an SB. Really depends on what you want. I ended up going with a coiled Evil Offering to replace my SB and may look at a FB29 to replace my downhill bike when the used market heats up in a year or so.
    Last edited by Stupordave; 11-03-2018 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupordave View Post
    It’s absolutely better for some more aggressive riding. The travel makes the bike more comfortable but the geometry is what set’s it apart for the downs. I demo’d a large as well a few weeks later and did about 3000ft of climbing on it and that was enough to tell the difference in climbing between the SB and the FB29. It just wore me down a bit quicker than normal. It was a monster truck uphill with more grip but I was absolutely slower and needed the granny to finish the last climbs. The FB29 would be great for a park bike/trail bike for may be overgunnned at a replacement for an SB. Really depends on what you want. I ended up going with a coiled Evil Offering to replace my SB and may look at a FB29 to replace my downhill bike when the used market heats up in a year or so.
    Thanks for that honest assessment. The FB29 was on my short list. I pedaled it around just on pavement, was aware that it has an efficient suspension design and was light, but still it felt a bit sluggish to me regardless of what owners told me about the bike.

If I lived near big bike parks (I don't) it would be the one. But in a world where I pedal a lot and didn't really need that much travel, it wasn't the right choice for me.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Agree, I have Both the SB and FB29. The SB is more fun on trails - playful and poppy and that goes for the ups and the downs. The FB29 is very composed on the downs and makes you feel like you are so much more in control. As much as I played around with settings, different wheel sets etc, I just can't see how one would replace the other.

I do prefer the Firebird 29 on very steep technical climbs (but not for too long) only because it sticks to the ground better - whereas the SB's nose sometimes wants to come off the ground.

The way I see it, the Switchblade will be a lot of fun on say 85% of the trails. The FB29 will make that remaining 15% a blast and a breeze whereas the SB would have thrown you over the handlebars.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Picked mine up on Friday. Spent time yesterday doing a couple of tweaks for personal preference. Will be using mine for tight rocky and rooty singletrack with lots of tech climbs. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Being a fan of the wide tires for some of my rides I test fit a 27.5x3.25 crux on 34mm inner width rim from the front of my singlespeed in back. I centered it and appears to be plenty of clearance so a 27.5x3.0 should work.

I will be building a 27.5 for the rear and will try a 3.25 Vee T-fatty and see how it goes.

I will have two sets of wheels and switch between 29 and 27.5 depending on terrain I am riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi All,
    Has anyone tried 27.5 (not plus) wheels on the firebird 29? Like with 2.5” tyres?

Is the BB height still manageable?

Few reviews say its possible if using the headset collar and in the high setting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Being a fan of the wide tires for some of my rides I test fit a 27.5x3.25 crux on 34mm inner width rim from the front of my singlespeed in back. I centered it and appears to be plenty of clearance so a 27.5x3.0 should work.

I will be building a 27.5 for the rear and will try a 3.25 Vee T-fatty and see how it goes.

I will have two sets of wheels and switch between 29 and 27.5 depending on terrain I am riding.
    How does it handle with the 27.5?
    BB height ok?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    has anybody installed a DIY dw protector or mudguards for the rear? can i please see it, the pivot dw protector is not available in our country

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Raian View Post
    has anybody installed a DIY dw protector or mudguards for the rear? can i please see it, the pivot dw protector is not available in our country
    All new bikes now ship with it. And all distributors have access to buying them. What country do you live in, and I'll press the distributor to stock these replacement items.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Philippines sir, if its included its ok, my bike is just arriving and i didn't know it was included. thanks!

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Philippines sir, if its included its ok, my bike is just arriving and i didn't know it was included. thanks!
    Welcome to the PIVOT Family!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Hi All,
    Has anyone tried 27.5 (not plus) wheels on the firebird 29? Like with 2.5” tyres?

Is the BB height still manageable?

Few reviews say its possible if using the headset collar and in the high setting.
    We did some testing with this setup when we were developing the bike. It's a fun setup, but the BB is pretty low - be prepared for some pedal strikes until you get used to it.
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    We did some testing with this setup when we were developing the bike. It's a fun setup, but the BB is pretty low - be prepared for some pedal strikes until you get used to it.
    Sweet - thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess my main concern is that if I need to use the crown race collar the seat angle will slacken. Did it climb ok still?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Welcome to the PIVOT Family!
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here is my mudguard. Not sure if it helps much, but im guessing more than nothing.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Sweet - thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess my main concern is that if I need to use the crown race collar the seat angle will slacken. Did it climb ok still?
    Yeah, I guess it would slacken the seat angle a hair, but I can't imagine you'd notice. To me, it seems the lower BB would have a much bigger impact on climbing, especially on techy climbs where you're likely to clip your pedals on rocks.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Here is my mudguard. Not sure if it helps much, but im guessing more than nothing.

Honestly, it looks like if nothing else, the mudguard will deliver muck directly to the linkage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hehe, yea should probably try to change the angle so that it is more vertical

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123