Firebird 29 - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firebird 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Im 195cm (6'5" in "freedom units") and run an XL. Super happy!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'm 5'9" and recently picked up a medium FB29. Perfect fit for me.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Anyone have a picture of their Firebird under full compression? Curious to see how close the rear tire comes to the seat tube.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by cblesius View Post
    Anyone have a picture of their Firebird under full compression? Curious to see how close the rear tire comes to the seat tube.
    Firebird 29-p5pb16615838.jpg

Video here:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...ow-motion.html
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Firebird 29 + Bike park = heaven

Just back from Trestle Bike Park in Winter Park, CO. This was my first time riding the FB at a bike park (missed most of the park season last year with a ruptured spleen) and HOLY COW! I've been riding this park for probably fifteen years (damn, I'm getting old) on probably 20+ bikes in that time and this is the king of them all!

Due to the DH track being rough, steep, AND pedally, I can't think of a better weapon than the FB29. I've got two enduro races there this month (BME and Nat'l Champs) and I'm so stoked!

Bike Park Mode:
    Fork: MRP Ribbon Coil Prototype at 170mm (medium spring)
    Shock: MRP Hazzard with 400+ Progressive Spring
    Wheels: Enve M730 with Huck Norris DH rear, normal Huck Norris front (DD or EXO+ Maxxis tires)

NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

mtbr member
    I've had the FB29 on my radar for a little while and I finally got to take one out for a few demo rides this weekend and it rips.

For the past few seasons I've been riding a Evil Calling and more recently an Ibis Ripmo both in size medium. The Calling is bar none the best bike I've ever ridden, when its dead I'm going to hang the frame on my wall. The Ripmo is getting flipped as it never sees any action and that leaves a vacancy for a long travel bike.

At 5'6 I demo'd the small and it was spot on. I've been battling with 29ers over the last few years. I've been finding the bikes to be dull, undeniably fast in all aspects but just boring to ride, difficult to skip around and maneuver. I've hands down put up some of my best times on them but at the expense of fun.

Frames aside, I understand and see the merits of the wheels but I've never been able to really enjoy riding them. At first, being short, I thought it was the wheel size itself that was giving me the problems. Then I started to think that it might possibly be a mix of 29er wheels and modern geometry that was making the bike dull. After a series of recent demos I actually believe I need to size down on these modern geometry bikes to get them to handle the way I like to ride.

The small FB29 felt damn close to my Calling in the cockpit, but with a slightly longer wheelbase, slacker and had the big wheels. It was the first time I was able to really drive the bike with my riding style instead of just being a motor on the bike going for a ride.

The demo was enough for me to pull the trigger and get a small FB29. This is my last shot at making 29ers work for me, if not then its back to the 27.5 demo train!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod View Post
    I've had the FB29 on my radar for a little while and I finally got to take one out for a few demo rides this weekend and it rips.

For the past few seasons I've been riding a Evil Calling and more recently an Ibis Ripmo both in size medium. The Calling is bar none the best bike I've ever ridden, when its dead I'm going to hang the frame on my wall. The Ripmo is getting flipped as it never sees any action and that leaves a vacancy for a long travel bike.

At 5'6 I demo'd the small and it was spot on. I've been battling with 29ers over the last few years. I've been finding the bikes to be dull, undeniably fast in all aspects but just boring to ride, difficult to skip around and maneuver. I've hands down put up some of my best times on them but at the expense of fun.

Frames aside, I understand and see the merits of the wheels but I've never been able to really enjoy riding them. At first, being short, I thought it was the wheel size itself that was giving me the problems. Then I started to think that it might possibly be a mix of 29er wheels and modern geometry that was making the bike dull. After a series of recent demos I actually believe I need to size down on these modern geometry bikes to get them to handle the way I like to ride.

The small FB29 felt damn close to my Calling in the cockpit, but with a slightly longer wheelbase, slacker and had the big wheels. It was the first time I was able to really drive the bike with my riding style instead of just being a motor on the bike going for a ride.

The demo was enough for me to pull the trigger and get a small FB29. This is my last shot at making 29ers work for me, if not then its back to the 27.5 demo train!
    Thanks for the info. I also love my Calling. Most fun bike I've ever had.

I picked up a Transition Patrol not too long ago as a big bike for racing, but had to go with a L instead of my usual M due to the short TT. Works well as long as I'm diligent about weighting the front end heavily, but it's hard to go between that and the Evil for me. Patrol is just a bit too big for me and the Evil is staying obviously. I've had Pivots in the past and they fit me really well, so I'm demoing the FB29 this week to see if it works for me without having to really change my riding style like the Patrol does.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Something else I noticed when I was looking at these bottom-out pics. I've heard the SB150 has a bit of flex in the rear end, and it looks like this photo captured it well. Check out the position of the rear tire with respect to the saddle on full squish. It looks like the wheel has flexed toward the camera at least a couple inches.

Firebird 29-p5pb16646155full.jpg

Firebird 29-p6pb16646155.jpg
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Hard to think of that as a 'feature.' Hopefully just a distorted picture but that's more for than I'd ever want!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I demo an Sb130 and 150. The flex on the rear especially on the 130 was so bad My rear wheel took a different line to the front wheel and me! Aweful. (And ll the pivot bolts were torqued correctly).

Soooo glad I got a FB29 loving it so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How long before you had to change linkage and BB bearings? My linkage bearings were rusty and filled with sand, and my BB is creaking bad after 440km ( not all on trails) 3/4 year riding. Alot of mud where i ride though. I think some extra seals on the linkage bearings would have been smart. I didnt have to care about the BB before after 4 years on my last bike...
    Any recommendations on a new BB?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Bbinfinite bottom bracket and grease all your bearings at least twice a year.... Follow #yourbikehatesyou on instagram....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    After 5 months of actual usage on the best ebduro bike out there, more than 70000 vertical metres and tons of abuse, quite a bit of riding in wet and mud, there is not a single creaking sound coming from anywhere. BB as new, linkage without play and sound. My only complaints are indirect - the brakes set (shimano XT) which preform okay - just okay, but wear out suuuperfast. Needed to change 2 sets of rotors and 4 sets of pads already. Ok for the pads... But rotors should be more durable.
    Maybe a word about reynolds rims - light, rugged and stiff as they are, they do have a weak spot, the upper part of sidewall is superthin and thus vulnerable to stone impacts. There are already several small cracks, dents, etc... Nothing to worry, but a clear distinction from my previous roval traverse SL on Enduro Sworks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    Thanks for the info. I also love my Calling. Most fun bike I've ever had.

I picked up a Transition Patrol not too long ago as a big bike for racing, but had to go with a L instead of my usual M due to the short TT. Works well as long as I'm diligent about weighting the front end heavily, but it's hard to go between that and the Evil for me. Patrol is just a bit too big for me and the Evil is staying obviously. I've had Pivots in the past and they fit me really well, so I'm demoing the FB29 this week to see if it works for me without having to really change my riding style like the Patrol does.
    I felt the same way with the Ripmo, my riding style was drastically different between that and the Evil. Did you get a chance to demo the FB, what was your thoughts on it?

I should have mine in the next week or so!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I felt the same way with the Ripmo, my riding style was drastically different between that and the Evil. Did you get a chance to demo the FB, what was your thoughts on it?

I should have mine in the next week or so!
    I hear you on the Ripmo. I hated it. Nice bike, but for someone other than me.

I got to demo the FB for 3 days. Took a little work to get the fit right but once I did the fit and ride style are the same as the Evil. Different bikes obviously due to travel and geo, but I have the same fundamental style to ride both. At the end of day 3 of the demo, it was an easy decision to buy the FB29. And with the same width bars and same brakes, it feels really similar. Immediately a fast bike. I think youíll like yours.

And just for information, I had a blast on my Calling today just for fun with no adjustment period on the bike.

I hope you enjoy yours!

mtbr member
    I hear you on the Ripmo. I hated it. Nice bike, but for someone other than me.

I got to demo the FB for 3 days. Took a little work to get the fit right but once I did the fit and ride style are the same as the Evil. Different bikes obviously due to travel and geo, but I have the same fundamental style to ride both. At the end of day 3 of the demo, it was an easy decision to buy the FB29. And with the same width bars and same brakes, it feels really similar. Immediately a fast bike. I think youíll like yours.

And just for information, I had a blast on my Calling today just for fun with no adjustment period on the bike.

I hope you enjoy yours!
    How tall are you, what size did you go with and what did you have to do fit wise?

My Calling is currently out of order until Monday. I had the bottom cap assembly of a Fox Transfer post rot out and break...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    How tall are you, what size did you go with and what did you have to do fit wise?

My Calling is currently out of order until Monday. I had the bottom cap assembly of a Fox Transfer post rot out and break...
    Wow, that is the first problem I've heard of with the Transfer.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I ride a Medium Evil and Pivot.

mtbr member
    Wow, that is the first problem I've heard of with the Transfer.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I ride a Medium Evil and Pivot.
    Yep it was an odd issue. Dropper stopped working all of a sudden, and this is why.

I keep the post slammed all the way and when I took it out it was sitting in a pile of water, grease and grime.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Those actuators are notoriously prone to failure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yep it was an odd issue. Dropper stopped working all of a sudden, and this is why.

I keep the post slammed all the way and when I took it out it was sitting in a pile of water, grease and grime.

I hadn't even considered that happening. Good reason to make sure frame isn't holding water. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jdaigneault View Post
    Loving my bird - here are my suspension settings:
    Rider weight - 190lbs
    Trails - rough enduro with jumps, drops, gap jumps, rock gardens, roots
    X2 - 210 psi pump gauge, 203 psi actual - shockwiz
    3 bands - factory came with 3
    HSR - 7 from open
    LSR - 5 from open
    HSC - 5 from open
    LSC - 1 from open

FOX 36
    shock gauge - 60 psi, actual 53 psi - shockwiz
    1 token
    HSR 4 from open
    LSR 5 from open
    HSC 8 from open
    LSC 9 from open

for park days I leave the FOX 36 as is. On the X2 I add 2 clicks of LSR and 2 clicks of HSC.
    Do you feel any difference if you adjust your compression damping on the fork a little each way? According to Fox, only the first 16 clicks from closed have any effect and after that you are all the way open. Just wondering what is correct on the Grip2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Does anybody know what's the ST angle?Most reviews are referring to a 74.5 degree while Pivot on their site talks about 75.75 for Low position and 76.25 High.Bit confused on this

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    74.5 is effective STA for the firebird 27.5.

the other two figures apply to firebird 29 ESTA at an unspecified saddle height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My BB is creaking like crazy, and changing the bearing unit didnt help. The bikeshop who first assembled it used some copper grease, and I used regular grease. I replaced it with the same shimano BB as it came with. Have anyone else had issues with this? It seems that the tolerances isn't tight enough, so it moves under pressure. Is retaining compound the way to go? I'm sceptical about "gluing" a composite frame, as I fear it will stick too much to the frame (more to the frame than the nylon bearing cup). Do i have to buy one of those expensive aluminum bearing units? Damn annoying for sure...

https://youtu.be/KjShQQaOSNI

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Bbinfinite bbs come with retaining compound. They dont creak and the bearings do not wear out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    Bbinfinite bbs come with retaining compound. They dont creak and the bearings do not wear out.
    For "just" 10x the price

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pivot recommends blue Loctite and they ship their builds with a small tube of it.
    Spread the Loctite around the inside of the BB shell then press in the BB cups dry.
    Iím on my 7th Pivot w a press BB, never had any Bb noise that wasnít bad bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    My BB is creaking like crazy, and changing the bearing unit didnt help. The bikeshop who first assembled it used some copper grease, and I used regular grease. I replaced it with the same shimano BB as it came with. Have anyone else had issues with this? It seems that the tolerances isn't tight enough, so it moves under pressure. Is retaining compound the way to go? I'm sceptical about "gluing" a composite frame, as I fear it will stick too much to the frame (more to the frame than the nylon bearing cup). Do i have to buy one of those expensive aluminum bearing units? Damn annoying for sure...

https://youtu.be/KjShQQaOSNI

You sure it's the BB?
    Check the frame mount for the rear shock? That's where my (Switchblade) creak lives.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes, ive isolated the noise by setting the bike upside down and press the crank arm against the frame.

I will go for a retaining compound on the next try then. As noted above, the pivot dealer used grease and it didn't start creaking before after 10 months. It just seems that the internal diameter on the frame is too big.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    For "just" 10x the price

$100. Ceramic isnt needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Pivot recommends blue Loctite and they ship their builds with a small tube of it.
    Spread the Loctite around the inside of the BB shell then press in the BB cups dry.
    Iím on my 7th Pivot w a press BB, never had any Bb noise that wasnít bad bearings.
    Btw, what exact loctite are we talking about? There are so many types. Blue are typically threadlock...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Green is the right type for the job but may take an airhammer to remove.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    Green is the right type for the job but may take an airhammer to remove.
    641 should in theory be the best suited.

Edit:
    Got back from Pivot customer service. They recommend Loctite 243, so thats the one I am going for!

Last edited by mykle; 07-18-2019 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

That looks like it was exposed to some type of salt. Wont hurt the carbon, but will cause corrosion to aluminum and potentially galvanic 'welding' of the post in the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Just back from Trestle Bike Park in Winter Park, CO. This was my first time riding the FB at a bike park (missed most of the park season last year with a ruptured spleen) and HOLY COW! I've been riding this park for probably fifteen years (damn, I'm getting old) on probably 20+ bikes in that time and this is the king of them all!

Due to the DH track being rough, steep, AND pedally, I can't think of a better weapon than the FB29. I've got two enduro races there this month (BME and Nat'l Champs) and I'm so stoked!

Bike Park Mode:
    Fork: MRP Ribbon Coil Prototype at 170mm (medium spring)
    Shock: MRP Hazzard with 400+ Progressive Spring
    Wheels: Enve M730 with Huck Norris DH rear, normal Huck Norris front (DD or EXO+ Maxxis tires)

Noah is a wise man.

Noah knows many things about bikes.

One should listen to Noah.

Firebird 29-img_0411.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Fork: MRP Ribbon Coil Prototype ...

new damper in the works eh?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Ordered a Large steel blue frameset!

Can't wait to ride this beast!

Thinking about a 185mm Bike Yoke Revive dropper.

Has anyone tried this?Will it fit?

A pic would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagman1 View Post
    Ordered a Large steel blue frameset!

Can't wait to ride this beast!

Thinking about a 185mm Bike Yoke Revive dropper.

Has anyone tried this?Will it fit?

A pic would be much appreciated.
    Should fit fine unless you have to fully insert it. I've got a 160mm and it is plenty of drop on my size Med.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thx for the reply

I don't want a lot of seatpost exposed but not slammed into the frame either..

Anyone with a Large frame guys?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagman1 View Post
    Thx for the reply

I don't want a lot of seatpost exposed but not slammed into the frame either..

Anyone with a Large frame guys?
    Pivot will tell you what the maximum insertion length is. Hit them up on chat from their website.

Bike Yoke has the maximum insertion length on their website.

You should be able to suss out if it will be deep enough, and not too tall for you.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    We also provide a handy dropper guide that could help you see if your desired post will fit.

file:///C:/Users/daniel/Downloads/Firebird-29-Carbon-Dropper-Fit-Guide.pdf
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have the XL with 185 revive and it slams all the way down (if it helps).

mtbr member
    I have a Small and and just went through One Up's fitment guide, it looks like I can stuff a v2 180mm in there with either no shim or a 10mm shim. Ill find out for sure in a few days when it gets here!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Firebird 29

@pivot: I have read your statement regarding frame-only options.

Are there any new discussion this will change in the near future? I would love to order a firebird29 frame.

Please give me some information...would hate to order a Santa Cruz.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WildeSuchtelei View Post

Are there any new discussion this will change in the near future? I would love to order a firebird29 frame.

Please give me some information...would hate to order a Santa Cruz.

Frame only has been available for awhile now on the Fb29. Check the website, it's a frame and crank combo!

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006

Frame Crank options have been available for some time now. We also offer a Frame, Fork and Crank option so you get the correct offset fork etc. Your dealer can help you with that information.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Frame Crank options have been available for some time now. We also offer a Frame, Fork and Crank option so you get the correct offset fork etc. Your dealer can help you with that information.
    Thank you.
    XT Build offers more bang for the buck.
    Sadly there is no upgrade option for shock and fork as Ibis fE. offers it.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Thank you.

What would you want to upgrade on the shock?

The XT bike comes with the Float X2 shock.

Same with the Frame and Crank option, they all come with the Float X2 shock, and the fork is the Grip 2 - seems we offer it with the top of the line option as is.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Thank you.

Are you comparing this to a Ripmo? I had a Ripmo for a little under a year, these bikes are two very different animals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thank you.

I got the pro xt and upgraded the shock to x2 factory. The fork is already factory...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Managed to bend the threaded hole in the crank arm by hitting a rock. Thinking of just buying a new race face aeffect crank. Are there different models / q factors here, or is it only one width?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    they have pdf charts if you look. it will tell you what you need based on current qfactor of your cranks.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Managed to bend the threaded hole in the crank arm by hitting a rock. Thinking of just buying a new race face aeffect crank.
    I've bent those cranks too, they seem pretty weak. Now that Shimano has Superboost compatible cranks you might want to look at those. I'm going to update my FB to full XT 12 spd soon now that bike park (aka bike part breaking) season is over.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If going for Alloy, Iíd get some Hope Cranks. They do superboost compatible

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've bent those cranks too, they seem pretty weak. Now that Shimano has Superboost compatible cranks you might want to look at those. I'm going to update my FB to full XT 12 spd soon now that bike park (aka bike part breaking) season is over.
    That sounds pretty nice. Do you have a link to the groupset? This doesnt specify Q factor etc: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/XT-M8100-1x12-34-Groupset-w-FC-MT900-p71906

I have the DT Swiss M1700 wheelset (Pro XT/XTR kit). Does the microspline conversion kit work? As far as I understand it has the 350 rear hub, but with a 36T star rachet upgrade.
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/DT...on-Kit-p67370/

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Im just going to buy a standard race face aeffect crank now, and upgrade later. I see that absolute black has oval chainrings with 6mm offset which is specified to be boost 148 specific with 52mm chainline. The race face oval chainring doesnt specify offset. Ive heard that you could use a std RF crank and flip the chainring, but will that work with the boost specific absolute black?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Im just going to buy a standard race face aeffect crank now, and upgrade later. I see that absolute black has oval chainrings with 6mm offset which is specified to be boost 148 specific with 52mm chainline. The race face oval chainring doesnt specify offset. Ive heard that you could use a std RF crank and flip the chainring, but will that work with the boost specific absolute black?

RF specs their offsets off the crank chart pdf. i.e. chainlines depend just as much on the specific cranks you're running as the chainring itself. search out that crank guide and you'll get your chainline.

https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Has anyone put a dual crown fork on their FB?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfangler02 View Post
    Has anyone put a dual crown fork on their FB?
    Iím not a firebird owner but I see one at Winter Park all the time with a nice orange Fox 40 on it and the guy rips. Looks about perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupordave View Post
    Iím not a firebird owner but I see one at Winter Park all the time with a nice orange Fox 40 on it and the guy rips. Looks about perfect.
    Sick! Good to know...snap a pic next time if you feel like it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Looks like this actually worked! I was abit sceptical during the process, but it turns freely and the chain line is only offset 1.5mm outwards with the chainring flipped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fox 49 Firebird 29

Firebird 29-fbdualcrown.png
    @tristan601 - Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New 11-6 for Firebird 29

Firebird 29-fbpush116.jpg
    11-6 is another coil option. I've been testing the new Push 11-6 on my Firebird.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ah man.
    Anyone tried a Storia EXT coil?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My apologies if this has already been covered, but this is my first bike with super boost 157 spacing. I recently purchased a Firebird 29 and want to switch the chainring to Wolf Tooth oval. What is the proper chainline and offset for the Firebird 29? Wolf Tooth has a boost (52mm chainline with 3mm offset), a standard (49mm chainline and 6mm offset), and BB30 (49mm chainline with 0mm offset). Are any of these correct or is it something different for super boost 157? If not, is there an oval chainring that is compatible with Firebird 29?
    Thank you!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vsong View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fbdualcrown.PNG 
Views:	285 
Size:	804.6 KB 
ID:	1278693
    @tristan601 - Instagram
    LOVE this bike with the orange fork!! Well done!!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by spicolli1976 View Post
    My apologies if this has already been covered, but this is my first bike with super boost 157 spacing. I recently purchased a Firebird 29 and want to switch the chainring to Wolf Tooth oval. What is the proper chainline and offset for the Firebird 29? Wolf Tooth has a boost (52mm chainline with 3mm offset), a standard (49mm chainline and 6mm offset), and BB30 (49mm chainline with 0mm offset). Are any of these correct or is it something different for super boost 157? If not, is there an oval chainring that is compatible with Firebird 29?
    Thank you!!!
    Depends on your drivetrain. If you've got Shimano 12 speed you're limited on options, but some are emerging.

In general for RF Cinch cranks, for Shimano 11 and SRAM 11/12, you want to use a flipped 52 (Boost) or 51mm ring, never a 49mm ring. With an oval, things get more complicated as some of them seem to be machined directionally, so flipping them may cause weirdness. You'll also have to figure out clocking.

I'm guessing you have a SRAM crank though? You can't flip SRAM DM rings, so you need a Superboost ring or spider and ring system like OneUp's Switch or Wolftooth's Camo. You do not want any of the rings you mentioned, except maybe the one for BB30 with no offset. I think (could be wrong), if you mate that to a GXP or DUB crank you'll get a 55mm chainline, which might actually be the sweet spot for Superboost. The standard is technically 56-57mm, but bringing that in slightly gives you a better chainline in the easier rear cogs, less noise, and presumably, longer drivetrain life. So long as you aren't going too big on the chainring size, you shouldn't have chainstay clearance issues.

*the Cinch information above is mostly correct, but there are different spindle combinations that make compatibility and chainline calculations even more confusing.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Depends on your drivetrain. If you've got Shimano 12 speed you're limited on options, but some are emerging.

In general for RF Cinch cranks, for Shimano 11 and SRAM 11/12, you want to use a flipped 52 (Boost) or 51mm ring, never a 49mm ring. With an oval, things get more complicated as some of them seem to be machined directionally, so flipping them may cause weirdness. You'll also have to figure out clocking.

I'm guessing you have a SRAM crank though? You can't flip SRAM DM rings, so you need a Superboost ring or spider and ring system like OneUp's Switch or Wolftooth's Camo. You do not want any of the rings you mentioned, except maybe the one for BB30 with no offset. I think (could be wrong), if you mate that to a GXP or DUB crank you'll get a 55mm chainline, which might actually be the sweet spot for Superboost. The standard is technically 56-57mm, but bringing that in slightly gives you a better chainline in the easier rear cogs, less noise, and presumably, longer drivetrain life. So long as you aren't going too big on the chainring size, you shouldn't have chainstay clearance issues.

*the Cinch information above is mostly correct, but there are different spindle combinations that make compatibility and chainline calculations even more confusing.
    Thank you very much and I should have clarified, I have the Team XX1 AXS drivetrain. Completely forgot about all of the different options with cranks. I reached out to Pivot as well and they confirmed BB30 49mm chain line with 0mm offset is the correct Wolf Tooth chainring for my setup. Much appreciated!!
    Last edited by spicolli1976; 09-25-2019 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    New bike day!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firebird 29-pivot-firebird-29.jpg  

Firebird 29-img_3657.jpg  

Last edited by spicolli1976; 09-29-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Freezer
    Orange forks and AXS- nice!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    Orange forks and AXS- nice!!
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I apologize if this comparison has been beaten to death but I'm having a hard time finding serious answers on it. Any one here spent a decent amount of time on both the SB150 and the Firebird29?

I'm looking for a park bike/southern utah bike (i live in SLC) and my daily is a t429, so the smart choice is the FB with the same spacing/swappable wheels... however if you follow yum yum on youtube you know that one of our shops here is currently doing a silly good deal on the SB150... so good that I'm tempted by it despite all the anecdotes I'm seeing about rear triangle issues. What's even more concerning about that situation is that Yeti is, as far as I can tell, refusing to even acknowledge that there's a problem with a flexy rear triangle that claims to hold a 2.5 that gets rub with even 2.3. The situation is made more frustrating by the fan boys arguing shit like "do you really need a 2.5?" and "if its good enough for richie rude, it's good enough for you". Well I don't need a 2.5 but I'd like one, and if even 2.3's are eating up rear triangles, it seems like an issue. And obviously it's good enough for RR because they replace whatever he needs as soon as he needs it.

Sorry for the longwinded post, I guess it comes down to this question: does anyone with experience think it's such a good bike that it's worth dealing with the headaches or should I go for the seemingly problem free FB29? To be honest, the price is the only reason I'm considering the SB150.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How does the 11-6 ride on the firebird? Is it worth it? I've been considering for a while now that Pivot has given the OK.

Freezer
    Have you demo'd the SB150? That should be the deciding factor. A few hundred or even a grand or more saved on a bike that's not the best for you is a waste.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottencommie View Post
    I apologize if this comparison has been beaten to death but I'm having a hard time finding serious answers on it. Any one here spent a decent amount of time on both the SB150 and the Firebird29?

I'm looking for a park bike/southern utah bike (i live in SLC) and my daily is a t429, so the smart choice is the FB with the same spacing/swappable wheels... however if you follow yum yum on youtube you know that one of our shops here is currently doing a silly good deal on the SB150... so good that I'm tempted by it despite all the anecdotes I'm seeing about rear triangle issues. What's even more concerning about that situation is that Yeti is, as far as I can tell, refusing to even acknowledge that there's a problem with a flexy rear triangle that claims to hold a 2.5 that gets rub with even 2.3. The situation is made more frustrating by the fan boys arguing shit like "do you really need a 2.5?" and "if its good enough for richie rude, it's good enough for you". Well I don't need a 2.5 but I'd like one, and if even 2.3's are eating up rear triangles, it seems like an issue. And obviously it's good enough for RR because they replace whatever he needs as soon as he needs it.

Sorry for the longwinded post, I guess it comes down to this question: does anyone with experience think it's such a good bike that it's worth dealing with the headaches or should I go for the seemingly problem free FB29? To be honest, the price is the only reason I'm considering the SB150.
    Go over to Salt Cycles and talk to them about the 2. Go somewhere where price isn't the motivating factor.

Personally, after having a Yeti (not the 150 though) I'd be hard pressed to buy another one. They're race bikes through and through, but they're divas. I'd constantly be thinking about the "built in flex" waiting for it to snap. I have a buddy with the firebird and he can't rave enough about it. He's consistently setting PR's around the valley. I've ridden it once and it's fast and quiet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Demoed a sb150, it was nice, but didnt feel as confident as the fb29.
    Although geo is similar, yeti felt smaller and less confident.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I managed to pick up Salt Cycles' large SB150 demo rig this afternoon and took it for a couple laps down Levitate (fast flow trail with decent jumps). It's definitely fast and stable AF, and I couldn't really feel any flex on the first lap but on the second lap I felt something at least twice out of the rear end and I'm pretty sure it was flex. I guess I could deal with tire rub on the stay if Yeti would warranty the triangle once the carbon is getting chewed up, but I hate the feeling of a flexy frame now that I've had the T429 for a while. Honestly I demoed it thinking I'd love it and that I wouldn't be able to detect the flex issue without taking it somewhere like Deer Valley, but if Levitate can make it feel janky to me, I'd probably hate it at the bike park... although maybe the "built in" flex would help take the edge off the braking bumps up at Deer Valley lol. Also I expected it to climb pretty well considering the 77 degree STA and magical Switch Infinity but surprisingly I didn't think it felt all that great, although maybe it's because I've been sick.

I'm gonna try to get their FB29 demo in the next week. Excited to try it.

mtbr member
    If Levitate was causing the flex I'd almost venture to say something's wrong with the bike (I ride there almost weekly). Armchair engineering, but that would drive me nuts. The more I think about a bike the less I enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I hope this isn't annoying to too many people, talking about the SB150 a bit. I do think it's relevant though considering it's one of the FB29's main competitors, maybe its most popular competitor even.

Anyways I did some more time on it today at Levitate/Vertigo. For non SLC locals, Vertigo is a fast, mostly hard pack, flow trail with some berms, and Levitate is a looser version of it but with some decent sized jumps. I did a lap on Vertigo and that rear end was really flexy, maybe because of how grippy that trail is. I even felt it flex pretty bad as I was preloading coming into a small jump. That instance was the definite point at which I was like "yeah screw this bike". Like I mentioned before, it's definitely crazy fast and stable and I'd even say fun but that rear end flex would annoy the hell out of me.

I'm kinda torn on what to do about the FB29. Salt Cycles has a good deal on a large blue Pro XT build which is the build I'd go for, but Competitive Cyclist has an even better deal (few hundred cheaper) for the same build and in the more desirable (to me) sandstorm color. However, CC doesn't have one that I can demo and put that cost towards the purchase price and I feel like I'd be selling out going for the big retailer over Salt Cycles. I can't imagine their service is as good either. Seems like it's different people in there every time I go in, where as there's almost no turnover at Salt Cycles.

mtbr member
    A couple hundred cheaper, and the color you want? Easy decision for me. Maybe see if Salt will work something out, bring in a frame in and pay the difference?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone running a angle headset?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Has anyone tried the flip chip in high setting with a -1 degree angleset on the Firebird 29? Good? Bad? Am I correct in thinking the end result with be a 64.5 degree head angle, a bit steeper seat angle, and a ~similar bb height as in low mode? Would love anyone's feedback that has done it and/or thoughts on how it will change the climbing characteristics of the bike. Minimal? Drastic?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spicolli1976 View Post
    Has anyone tried the flip chip in high setting with a -1 degree angleset on the Firebird 29? Good? Bad? Am I correct in thinking the end result with be a 64.5 degree head angle, a bit steeper seat angle, and a ~similar bb height as in low mode? Would love anyone's feedback that has done it and/or thoughts on how it will change the climbing characteristics of the bike. Minimal? Drastic?
    Was considering this myself to steepen the seat angle as I think it will make a difference, but only the same as moving the saddle forward 10mm (with regard to seat angle that is)...

-1 angleset wont lower the bb as much as the flip chip will raise it, so it will be higher.
    Donít forget wheelbase will increase around 10mm too.

I ended up changing swapping the X2 out for a storia Ext which has a much firmer pedaling platform. Bike doesnít wallow in its travel as much now so seat angle stays a bit more steep. Still may try the -1 though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What kind of angle set would you use?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am riding my Firebird 29 in high setting. Have done enough testing on all the stuff I am riding most of the time and there are just so many pros of the high position that it has become the permanent riding mode. The chip flipped to high, gives more clearance, more agility and playfulness, better pedaling, longer reach. The cons are nonexistent unless you are Eddie Masters. Less stability? No way. If I was only riding boring flast-going-slow-winding flow "autobahns", then I wouldn't mind leaving the low position on. But taking into account a lot of climbing, severe gnar and technicalities, always combining superfast and supertight sections, the high setting is a no brainer for me. Everyone with such a bike that I know of around here, has come to the same conclusion. The bike has got more than enough stability and safety reserves... Further slackening the front for "extra" stability on a bike of this calibre is like sweeping back the wings on an airplane - it is okay for a fast and straight flight, but it just screws everything else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aanderle View Post
    I am riding my Firebird 29 in high setting. Have done enough testing on all the stuff I am riding most of the time and there are just so many pros of the high position that it has become the permanent riding mode. The chip flipped to high, gives more clearance, more agility and playfulness, better pedaling, longer reach. The cons are nonexistent unless you are Eddie Masters. Less stability? No way. If I was only riding boring flast-going-slow-winding flow "autobahns", then I wouldn't mind leaving the low position on. But taking into account a lot of climbing, severe gnar and technicalities, always combining superfast and supertight sections, the high setting is a no brainer for me. Everyone with such a bike that I know of around here, has come to the same conclusion. The bike has got more than enough stability and safety reserves... Further slackening the front for "extra" stability on a bike of this calibre is like sweeping back the wings on an airplane - it is okay for a fast and straight flight, but it just screws everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Was considering this myself to steepen the seat angle as I think it will make a difference, but only the same as moving the saddle forward 10mm (with regard to seat angle that is)...

-1 angleset wont lower the bb as much as the flip chip will raise it, so it will be higher.
    Donít forget wheelbase will increase around 10mm too.

I ended up changing swapping the X2 out for a storia Ext which has a much firmer pedaling platform. Bike doesnít wallow in its travel as much now so seat angle stays a bit more steep. Still may try the -1 though.
    Thank you both very much for the insight!! Much appreciated!!

Freezer
    Quote Originally Posted by aanderle View Post
    Further slackening the front for "extra" stability on a bike of this calibre is like sweeping back the wings on an airplane - it is okay for a fast and straight flight, but it just screws everything else.
    Straight wings are fun, but speed is life...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What kind of angle set would you use?
    Works Components. Simply the best out there. Cane Creek are a great company but their angleset are why they should be called ďCane CREAKĒ ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rottencommie View Post
    I hope this isn't annoying to too many people, talking about the SB150 a bit. I do think it's relevant though considering it's one of the FB29's main competitors, maybe its most popular competitor even.

Anyways I did some more time on it today at Levitate/Vertigo. For non SLC locals, Vertigo is a fast, mostly hard pack, flow trail with some berms, and Levitate is a looser version of it but with some decent sized jumps. I did a lap on Vertigo and that rear end was really flexy, maybe because of how grippy that trail is. I even felt it flex pretty bad as I was preloading coming into a small jump. That instance was the definite point at which I was like "yeah screw this bike". Like I mentioned before, it's definitely crazy fast and stable and I'd even say fun but that rear end flex would annoy the hell out of me.

I'm kinda torn on what to do about the FB29. Salt Cycles has a good deal on a large blue Pro XT build which is the build I'd go for, but Competitive Cyclist has an even better deal (few hundred cheaper) for the same build and in the more desirable (to me) sandstorm color. However, CC doesn't have one that I can demo and put that cost towards the purchase price and I feel like I'd be selling out going for the big retailer over Salt Cycles. I can't imagine their service is as good either. Seems like it's different people in there every time I go in, where as there's almost no turnover at Salt Cycles.
    What did you end up doing?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Hi

I ride in an areas with a lot of loose rocks and stones, and I would like to buy a carbo or solid frame protector for the downtube.

I have contacter Rockguardz and they do not have any protector available for the Pivot Firebird 29.

Any other options?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Anyone knows the spoke spec / length on the m1700 wheels? I want to get some backup spokes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Try to email dtswiss...and don't forget to mention that is super boost plus!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ive done it already. Will post the answer when i get it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Front 110mm M1700:
    NDS spoke length: 306mm
    DS Spoke length: 304mm

Rear 157mm M1700:
    NDS spoke length: 306mm
    DS spoke length: 303mm

Verified by both Pivot and DT Swiss.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How does the FB ride with a DPX2? I would think you would need an X2 or coil to get any benefit from the FB.

Iím looking for a LT trail bike. Not really and enduro/ park bike.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    How does the FB ride with a DPX2? I would think you would need an X2 or coil to get any benefit from the FB.

You should consider the Enduro build for the Trail 429. 140mm fork, and 120 rear travel. Bike is an amazing climber and handles the downs like no ones business too!
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Already have a 120mm 29er, currently with a 140mm fork Was looking at the FB as my big bike. Prob gonna go with a Ripmo AF, you canít beat the cost. Closes FB that is even near the AF price has a DPX2. Hence there reason for my question

Freezer
    Already have a 120mm 29er, currently with a 140mm fork Was looking at the FB as my big bike. Prob gonna go with a Ripmo AF, you canít beat the cost. Closes FB that is even near the AF price has a DPX2. Hence there reason for my question
    Make sure you demo the AF and the fit is correct for you. I was very interested in the Ripmo, but at 5-10" and long arms, the Large felt like a truck and the reach on the Medium was way too short. I got a FB29 in Medium, and the fit is spot on and it makes all the difference. Regarding the shock, I've had a DPX2 on a Yeti SB5.5, and in my opinion, the FB29 would be limited by that shock. Put another way, if the trails you ride and your riding style is well served by the DPX2, the FB29 may be overkill for you. That said, it is a phenomenally capable and balanced bike, and can definitely be used as a trail superbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

I'm having a hard time squaring what you're looking for with the bike you're looking at.

FIREBIRD
    Youíre a rider that likes to ride the most technical terrain, enduro races that mimic (or are) world cup DH courses, and double black diamond bike park runs or youjust spend the majority of your time in a bike park. You may even hit theoccasional DH race. These bikes still climb amazingly well so many riders chose these just because they know that they will never be under gunned in the most technical situations: Firebird or Firebird 29.

Handmade in Switzerland

Maybee you should wait for a few weeks...
    https://forums.mtbr.com/pivot-cycles...y-1121085.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thank you. You confirmed my speculation that the FB needs a bigger shock then then the DPX2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123