Anyone put bigger tires on a Mach 5.5?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone put bigger tires on a Mach 5.5?

Hello! Need to replace the 2.6 tires on my Mach 5.5 soon and was thinking about going with a 2.8 or 3.0 but not sure if it will create any problems. A friend has 27.5 x 3.0 on his Mach 429 Trail so we swapped them onto my bike in a parking lot and they fit and rolled ok but I donít want to create any problems. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freezer
    I did the opposite- on my 5.5 went from 2.6 to 2.3 (DHF, DHR II), and it made the bike noticeably faster and more precise on the steering. The bike used to be way slower than my Yeti SB4.5, now it's only marginally so, and it's still a hell of a lot more fun. I'll put the 2.6 tires back on for a Sedona trip, but in NorCal the extra traction isn't worth the added rolling resistance on the climbs.
    Pivot Mach 5.5
    Yeti SB4.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I demoed the 5.5 and liked it, but was curious how it'd feel with narrower tires. Any pedal strike issues? ..and is it still nice and plush? I'm assuming a tweak in suspension setup would help with that.. Sorry OP, back to the topic at hand....

Freezer
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    I demoed the 5.5 and liked it, but was curious how it'd feel with narrower tires. Any pedal strike issues? ..and is it still nice and plush? I'm assuming a tweak in suspension setup would help with that.. Sorry OP, back to the topic at hand....
    Zero difference in ride height or pedal strikes with the 2.3 tires. Very marginal reduction in plushness- nearly all the bike's plush feel is from the geometry and shock tune. As I mentioned, the 2.3 tires do feel more precise handling; a bit less vague than the 2.6 tires and make the bike more snappy feeling.
    Pivot Mach 5.5
    Yeti SB4.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A buddy of mine was running a Rekon 2.8 up front. It was a tight fit on the fork but it worked. Not sure if a 2.8 would fit in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ragerider View Post
    Hello! Need to replace the 2.6 tires on my Mach 5.5 soon and was thinking about going with a 2.8 or 3.0 but not sure if it will create any problems. A friend has 27.5 x 3.0 on his Mach 429 Trail so we swapped them onto my bike in a parking lot and they fit and rolled ok but I donít want to create any problems. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have 45NRTH Wrathchild 3.0 on my Mach5.5, front and rear, on 36 mm ID rims, granted that they measure more like 2.7 in this setting. No problem clearing the Cane Creek Helm fork, clears the rear but VERY close to the DS chainstay. I have been running them on snow so it's fine, but I would be nervous about riding rocks and mud with that little clearance. A 2.8 (listed) rear tire would probably fit fine in the rear, but I have not tried.

mtbr member
    When I built up my 27.5+ singlespeed, I threw the rear wheel on my Mach 5.5 just for fun to see if it would fit, and it did with a 3" Rocket Ron on the 35mm internal M1700 wheelset. Clearance was suuuuper tight though, and I wouldn't feel comfortable actually riding it. You could maybe get away with one of the skinnier 2.8s, but personally, I went to a 2.5 Aggressor and I've been really happy with it.