429 axle backing out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

429 axle backing out

I have been riding my 2018 Mach 429 trail for several years without any issues until last week. I was riding and noticed my shifting went from good to terrible within 10 miles. I got off the bike for a quick look and saw the rear axle had started to backout. I screwed in tight and all was good.

Now I am checking the axle every 5 miles which is annoying. Any thoughts on why all of the sudden this is a issue?

Hardmix

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Have not had an issue over the years----is it a one time deal that who knows what caused or is it happening again ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nor experienced it myself. However perhaps a dab of locitite will help?

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    David '09 YETI 575 '91 GT Zaskar #2010 '97 Bully Piston '90 Klein Quantum

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post
    I have been riding my 2018 Mach 429 trail for several years without any issues until last week. I was riding and noticed my shifting went from good to terrible within 10 miles. I got off the bike for a quick look and saw the rear axle had started to backout. I screwed in tight and all was good.

Now I am checking the axle every 5 miles which is annoying. Any thoughts on why all of the sudden this is a issue?

Hardmix
    It just happens. It also happens on my Switchblade. I check every 2-4 months riding 4-5 times a week. No biggie. Just don’t over tighten it because getting the wheel off on the trail can be difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member

Hardmix
    I switched to one of these years ago:

429 axle backing out-bk.jpg

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...xoCRjcQAvD_BwE

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The axle continues to come loose. I am going to apply some locktite and see how that works. I find it strange after all this time/miles that this problem just now arises. It makes me think there could be another problem lurking in the shadows.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Those DTs have to be pretty damn tight IME. Usually tighter than you’d think. Otherwise they loosen on you.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    The axle continues to come loose. I am going to apply some locktite and see how that works. I find it strange after all this time/miles that this problem just now arises. It makes me think there could be another problem lurking in the shadows.
    What problem do you imagine could be "lurking in the shadows?" How tight do you tighten the axle?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I wouldn’t locktite it. It’s slightly annoying, but infrequent. I do tighten the 429T more frequently than my Switchblade so I crank it down harder. The loosening of the axle was disconcerting at first, but I got over it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    This just speculation on my part. It doesn’t make sense to me that the axle all of the sudden startS giving me problems.

It has not come loose in the past 3 rides..go figure!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Try greasing the axle bolt. You could have bad wheel bearings.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I installed a new rear axle and hanger that I purchased from Pivot. On my first ride the axle started backing out. I guess I will take the bike to a lbs and see if they can figure this out.

change is good
    Sep 2004

429 axle backing out

I installed a new rear axle and hanger that I purchased from Pivot. On my first ride the axle started backing out. I guess I will take the bike to a lbs and see if they can figure this out.
    Could put a lock washer on it. Or crank the hell out of it and carry a long handle Allen. Or my favorite, wipe the threads clean, put some sandy dirt on it, wipe it off and tighten. Or like you said, locktite it. Sometimes shite doesn’t want to stay tight. Like RaceFace cranks.....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I received a good tip today, plumbers tape.