Youtube bitrate SUCKS!! they're killing us!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Youtube bitrate SUCKS!! they're killing us!

Does anyone have any workarounds or at least feel the pain with this?

You're in a beautiful location in the golden hour of lighting as the sun goes down, surrounded by bush, you get some great footage which looks fantastic, you can't wait to share it with friends so you upload to youtube and BOOM!!! it looks like a grainy mess.

And this is why you don't see GoPro promo videos in dense forest in low lighting...

It is obviously massive bit rate reduction when uploading to youtube. 1080p video will be reduced to 8mbps. But is there any way to help things look half watchable?

Here's my latest calamity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxMlpcXZbRE

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    What resolution are you using on the camera?
    What resolution are you uploading to?

What editing software are you using, and are you changing export settings for quality?

I wasn't planning to watch the video, but decided to after all. I see you're using the insta 360. I don't know anything about that camera in terms of what type of image settings you can control.
    I'm still interested in the edit settings though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Haha, glad you decided to watch

My workflow for this one was...

- Record on insta360 at 5.7k 30fps (appears to be 120mbps)

- create 16:9 fixed frame clip in insta360 windows software - exports as 1080p (120mbps)

- load up the official insta360 LUT for color grading in DaVinci Resolve 15 - Export as 1080p mp4 h.264 (120mbps)

upload to youtube on windows computer in chrome

The last file in the chain on my computer looks great. A bit of blur from the stabilisation, and a smidge of graining from bad lighting and fast movement, but it looks as good as the raw file straight off the insta360.

Its youtube compressing it to 8mbps that kills it, If I compress it myself it just looks equally as crap before I upload it.

I've had the same problem with gopro 5 footage on that same trail as well. I think it's just everything a low bit rate hates.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I do not know settings for DaVinci but I'll share my Premiere Elements settings in case there is any crossover.

I'm shooting with a Hero2 with ProTune enabled. The only camera setting I can use for controlling exposure is Framerate.

In Custom Export settings for Premiere Elements:

H.264
    Framerate = set to my recorded frame rate
    Square pixels (1.0)
    Profile = High, the best one in the selection of (Baseline, Main, High)
    Level = 4.2. I do not know what that means, but 4.2 is suggested for 1080p. There are many other selections above and below but no idea what they mean. I use 4.1 when sending 720 resolution. It is recommended to use 5.1 for 4k video. I think the max available option is 5.2
    BitRate Encoding = Constant
    Bitrate (MBPS) = 30. Set to 40 is recommended for 1080p but it takes too long for MY computer to process for results that are hard to see a difference in.
    Another option is Variable encoding (instead of Constant). That option will scan the file a couple times and adjust bitrate in areas it needs and can be helpful to reduce file size. That takes forever to process though.

Those setting will give me more or less no pixelation on YouTube.
    When I went to using a Gimbal, most of my videos showed pixelation. I either never noticed it with the shaky content, or now the video is capturing a smooth scene with more data that is being lost during YouTube compression. Either way, I had to export higher quality once I got the smooth capture footage.

I have uploaded a lot of content with minimal editing with those settings and the footage looks 'okay'. If I take the time to sharpen and color grade I can tell the difference for sure in quality (pixelation aside). Point being, even my straight off the camera with no color grading has less loss than what you demonstrated.

What about recording 2d -how much different is the uploaded Quality?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by noob2gnarly View Post
    Haha, glad you decided to watch

My workflow for this one was...

- Record on insta360 at 5.7k 30fps (appears to be 120mbps)

- create 16:9 fixed frame clip in insta360 windows software - exports as 1080p (120mbps)

- load up the official insta360 LUT for color grading in DaVinci Resolve 15 - Export as 1080p mp4 h.264 (120mbps)

upload to youtube on windows computer in chrome

The last file in the chain on my computer looks great. A bit of blur from the stabilisation, and a smidge of graining from bad lighting and fast movement, but it looks as good as the raw file straight off the insta360.

Its youtube compressing it to 8mbps that kills it, If I compress it myself it just looks equally as crap before I upload it.

I've had the same problem with gopro 5 footage on that same trail as well. I think it's just everything a low bit rate hates.
    Once you're done editing and grading, upload at the original resolution and original bitrate.

The bigger the file, the more Youtube has to work with as they compress your video.

For example, I capture at 4k, 60Mbps and upload a monster file to Youtube.

mtbr member
    Hi all Im new to this forum but been mountain biking for 25 years.
    This is an interesting topic regarding uploads to Youtube as i have just started a Youtube channel called Trail Biker Terry - TBT.

I have done one long video of 13 mins and just going to start work on my 2nd video re editing and uploading. I normally upload at 1080 60 frames per second so would be interested to know everyones thoughts on the quality of my video on my new channel. This one was actually shot at 30 fps not 60fps.

If you like my first video please subscribe as i intend to do one a week or more. First video is of QECP Blue Trail Guide next one will be Holmbury Hill Surrey.
    Cheers Terry

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    Once you're done editing and grading, upload at the original bitrate
    This x10! You can right click on the original file and look up the information. It will provide the recorded bitrate so make sure you encode the file with this bitrate. It made a big difference in the quality of my Hero 7 videos and my Hero Session.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Biker Terry View Post
    Hi all Im new to this forum but been mountain biking for 25 years.
    This is an interesting topic regarding uploads to Youtube as i have just started a Youtube channel called Trail Biker Terry - TBT.

I have done one long video of 13 mins and just going to start work on my 2nd video re editing and uploading. I normally upload at 1080 60 frames per second so would be interested to know everyones thoughts on the quality of my video on my new channel. This one was actually shot at 30 fps not 60fps.

If you like my first video please subscribe as i intend to do one a week or more. First video is of QECP Blue Trail Guide next one will be Holmbury Hill Surrey.
    Cheers Terry
    I've never been a fan of 60fps videos. To me, it sort of takes away from the experience of watching a mountain biking video. It's a lot like watching a movie at 120fps rather than 60fps on a TV or even 24fps in a movie theater. I remember watching the first Transformers movie at 120fps and it was just odd. It all felt fake.

I normally skip watching YouTube videos that are recorded in 60fps unless the editing is really good. I do like watching biking videos in 24 and 30fps mostly. Van Can is one dude I follow and he records primarily in 24fps. His videos look great this way. I think Loam Ranger shoots in 24fps every now and then too.

Personally, I record in 4K 30fps on my Hero 7 and 1440p 30fps on my Session.

mtbr member
    Hi Battery

Thats interesting the QECP Blue Trail Guide is at 30fps, have a look as im learning and value your view. (see link below)
    I always thought that youtubers like BKXC always use highest settings such as 60fps but perhaps im wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAb..._as=subscriber

Cheers
    Terry

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I feel the same about 60fps.

Over the past year, with finally producing stabilized videos, I've dug into frame rate a bit more. I rode a trail for a double loop, one loop at 24fps and one loop at 48fps. Even the 48 looked too fake for me to enjoy.

I've adapted to 24fps for my work.

I think 60fps can work for the right situation. I don't like how fast moving objects in 60fps looks to be sliding along a smooth path instead of being captured in a way my eye likes to see things.

I would like 60fps, maybe, if I am doing hand held shots of scenery or something like that I think. I wonder how the higher frame rates would look hand held to capture our riding buddies zooming through the frame, or even ourselves I guess.

I thought Brian recorded 24fps but recently heard him say he's at 30fps. A few of the other "professional" youtubers are recording 24.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Biker Terry View Post
    Hi Battery

Thats interesting the QECP Blue Trail Guide is at 30fps, have a look as im learning and value your view. (see link below)
    I always thought that youtubers like BKXC always use highest settings such as 60fps but perhaps im wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAb..._as=subscriber

Cheers
    Terry
    Hi Terry,
    Your video doesnt look all that bad. I can see a bit pixelation while moving which is normally due to lower bit rates. Do you use any post editing software? Post editing software like Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere Pro allows you to set your bitrates to take out much of the pixelation. You can match the bitrate of the original recording to your exported copy.

You should also look into a gimbal of some sort. Shaky video is challenging to watch, especially at slow speeds. Alternatively, you can get a full face helmet and mount your camera on top of it or on the bottom under the visor. I actually have my Hero Session mounted under the visor. I use this position to help me study my line choice on trails.

Here are a couple of my short videos that I made. My first one is with my GoPro Hero7 Black with the camera mounted on my chest in the inverted position. I also use 4K 30fps superview with hypersmooth too.

jcd's best friend
    Here is my Hero Session with the camera mounted under my visor. In this video, my head is the gimbal to keep the footage straight. I also matched the bitrates to keep the pixelation down.

I felt bad for this kid. He told me he was fast so I followed him down. I rode his rear pretty hard. On the second run, I had him follow me and he realized how much faster I ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noob2gnarly View Post
    But is there any way to help things look half watchable?
    Yes there is, but it's not just uploading a high bit rate vid like everyone is saying. You also need to record in 4k, encode in 4k, upload in 4k and watch in 4k. Even if you don't have a 4k monitor.

Youtube re-encodes 1080p source videos down to an average bit rate of 5Mbps. So the moment you encode your vid in 1080p you're doomed. But if youtube sees a video at 4k resolution, it will re-encode it at 4k down to about 25Mbps, or 5 times the bit rate of HD.

When you play it back after uploading, make sure the vid quality is set to 4k, even if you don't have a 4k monitor. Your video card will downscale the resolution to HD but it's now working with 25Mbps so the end result looks much better. You'll see much more detail in bushes, trees and foliage in fast moving MTB clips. If you let Youtube play the same vid at 1080p you'll be back in the mushy 5Mbps territory.

There is no other way I know of to trick Youtube into serving your vids at higher bit rates.

By the way, this trick would work even if you recorded in 1080p, as long as you upscale your resolution to 4k during your export and before you upload to Youtube.

To a lesser extent, using 2 pass encode instead of a single pass can also improve the pic quality in vids with a lot of motion. But if you are using the free version of DaVinci Resolve on Windows you won't have that option. Adobe Media encoder supports 2 pass and you should always have it on when encoding mtb vids.