mtbr member

Yi Lite & Yi Action Gimbal

I recently got a Yi Lite and a Yi Action Gimbal and was wondering if anyone has any tips for squeezing in as much perfomance out of this camera as possible. Seems like when I start moving quicker, the camera gets a little blurrier and pixelated sometimes. What settings are you guys using? Would a Yi 4k fix this issue? Here's a video I took recently. Please let me know what you think and what your suggestions are... thanks!

I shot this in 1080 at 60fps. No electronic stabilization just the gimbal. White balance was set to cloudy. ISO is on auto. EV -1.0. Edited with Davinci and basically brought the shadows down and upped the highlights and added saturation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwyj72i64

mtbr member
    Nice video i have also just started a YouTube Channel - Trail Biker Terry and experimenting with my camera and going to buy a Gimbal.
    I run a Veho Muvi K2 camera and have set it at 1080 60fps but i think most people are running at 30fps or less on YouTube so maybe try that setting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqP...Q#action=share

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Biker Terry View Post
    Nice video i have also just started a YouTube Channel - Trail Biker Terry and experimenting with my camera and going to buy a Gimbal.
    I run a Veho Muvi K2 camera and have set it at 1080 60fps but i think most people are running at 30fps or less on YouTube so maybe try that setting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqP...Q#action=share
    cool channel! yea i guess some people are also running 24fps for a cinematic effect... i just run 60 so i can slow down if need be but wonder what would be best for motion blur as fps being captured also changes shutter speed?

ninjichor.com
    YouTube ain't giving you enough bitrate unless you are getting views.

It used to be that you'd need a couple hundred views to even have your source video disseminated to other parts of their global CDN, which don't compress it down as much. Might need more views/subs than that now maybe.

Can use all the tips and tricks out there, like shooting in 4k and then downsampling to 1080, and uploading in high quality, but it's all in vain if youtube has you on the personal use end of the spectrum, rather than content creator. They got memes covering this... "see gopro video ads, buy gopro, record cool PoV outing, upload to youtube, see pixelated junk". Pretty much reasoned that the official gopro channel gets perks like higher bitrate video.

Probably best to avoid PoV unless you got a channel following that earns you the creator perks. I just use PoV to grab still frames from, or to record crashes. xD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    YouTube ain't giving you enough bitrate unless you are getting views.

It used to be that you'd need a couple hundred views to even have your source video disseminated to other parts of their global CDN, which don't compress it down as much. Might need more views/subs than that now maybe.

Can use all the tips and tricks out there, like shooting in 4k and then downsampling to 1080, and uploading in high quality, but it's all in vain if youtube has you on the personal use end of the spectrum, rather than content creator. They got memes covering this... "see gopro video ads, buy gopro, record cool PoV outing, upload to youtube, see pixelated junk". Pretty much reasoned that the official gopro channel gets perks like higher bitrate video.

Probably best to avoid PoV unless you got a channel following that earns you the creator perks. I just use PoV to grab still frames from, or to record crashes. xD
    Well that sucks... didnt know they did that... thanks for the info!

jcd's best friend
    It seems like your bit rate is a bit low. You can check the bit rate of the source file and match it when you export your video. It should clean up most of the pixelation. I do this with my 4K videos on my channel and they come out pretty good.

You should also turn the saturation down a notch too! It will give your work a little bit more of a natural feel.

Here is a clip from my channel to give you an idea. This clip was exported in 4K / 30fps with a bit rate of 60.25 Kbps. I'm still working on my editing skills with Adobe Premiere Pro!

Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

ninjichor.com
    Ah, I see there's evidence of youtube not robbing your video of bitrate with low view count. Well, I'm open to being optimistic that uploading an uncompressed source file is worth the time nowadays. My post is based on dated info, before the 4k era.

Now that I think back, I heard youtube does make an exception for 4k videos...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    It seems like your bit rate is a bit low. You can check the bit rate of the source file and match it when you export your video. It should clean up most of the pixelation. I do this with my 4K videos on my channel and they come out pretty good.

You should also turn the saturation down a notch too! It will give your work a little bit more of a natural feel.

Here is a clip from my channel to give you an idea. This clip was exported in 4K / 30fps with a bit rate of 60.25 Kbps. I'm still working on my editing skills with Adobe Premiere Pro!

cool thanks! What sort of bitrate should something like 1080 at 60 and 30fps be like? Great video btw!

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    cool thanks! What sort of bitrate should something like 1080 at 60 and 30fps be like? Great video btw!
    Thanks!

The bitrate should be whatever the original file used during recording. Every action camera is different so it's hard to say which bitrate it used to record 1080p 30 or 60. If you have a Mac, you can open the original file with Quicktime and hit CMD + I which brings up the inspector. It will list the bitrate of the file. For Windows, I'm not entirely sure where you find it. You might be able to right click the file and select properties and it could be listed there.

When you export your video from your software, you can set the bitrate number you found so it will export it with the same bitrate that it was imported. Do you use any specific editing software to make your videos? If not, check out Adobe Premiere Pro. You can buy a license for $20 a month to use Adobe Cloud which gives you access to Premiere Pro.

I also have Final Cut Pro X which came with my Mac but I prefer Premiere Pro because it's simple in design and layout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Thanks!

The bitrate should be whatever the original file used during recording. Every action camera is different so it's hard to say which bitrate it used to record 1080p 30 or 60. If you have a Mac, you can open the original file with Quicktime and hit CMD + I which brings up the inspector. It will list the bitrate of the file. For Windows, I'm not entirely sure where you find it. You might be able to right click the file and select properties and it could be listed there.

When you export your video from your software, you can set the bitrate number you found so it will export it with the same bitrate that it was imported. Do you use any specific editing software to make your videos? If not, check out Adobe Premiere Pro. You can buy a license for $20 a month to use Adobe Cloud which gives you access to Premiere Pro.

I also have Final Cut Pro X which came with my Mac but I prefer Premiere Pro because it's simple in design and layout.
    cool... i'll look into that. I've been using Davinci Resolve on my really old laptop. Takes forever to do anything so I've never really looked into anything aside from some video cropping or colors and sharpness and stuff...

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    cool... i'll look into that. I've been using Davinci Resolve on my really old laptop. Takes forever to do anything so I've never really looked into anything aside from some video cropping or colors and sharpness and stuff...
    I love Davinci Resolve's color pallettes. They are really nice! Just be cautious to not go overboard with the saturation. The Loam Ranger does have a basic video tutorial for Davinci Resolve if you want to check it out!