Why do my trails look so flat?-New GoPro user- Mtbr.com
    Well Biked

Why do my trails look so flat?-New GoPro user

Hey action cam users. I just got a GoPro Hero Black. I was amazed at how easy and flat my trails appeared, large rocks look tiny etc.

I'm wondering which setting to use to get the most perception of steepness, and gnarlyness of trails. Does the wide and extra wide setting flatten things out, or will things always look way easier and flatter with a point of view camera?

I'm using a chest harness mount if that makes any difference.

I'm also wondering if you are off the bike recording your buddy riding something, is it best to dial it out of the wide view settings?

Thanks! And sorry if this has been asked a lot before!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    This is an unfortunate side effect of action cameras. The wide angle view and loss of depth tends to flatten out the trail and give a false sense of ease. Seth's Bike Hacks just did a great video explaining this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2qwOI3--QM
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2015 Kona Process 111

trail gnome
    ^ What he said.

Also, try changing up the POV. Mount the camera lower on the bike. I find a lower bike mount pointed more forward/backward tends to flatten the trail less than a chest or helmet mount pointing more down. Also, depending on where you mount on your bike, you might see the suspension in action or the lean of the bike, which gives a sense of how technical the trail is.

I've had good luck with mounting on the seat tube pointing backward, on fork lower, and the bottom size of the downtube (with caution!) pointing forward. The trail still looks flattish, but a little less so and you get a sense of the technical difficulty of the trail indirectly from the movement of the bike and suspension.

If there is very technical section of the trail you want to emphasize, mount the camera on a tripod, low to the ground, narrow frame of view, high frame rate, and convert to slow-motion in editing.

Good luck.

trail gnome
    - wait - shouldn't this be posted to the Video camera section? Moderators: can you move it? Thx

Well Biked
    Thanks for the tips everyone! Sorry, I didn't realize there was a section just for video. Please move if it helps!

mtbr member
    The truth is that while in your head you are a mountain bike super-hero the reality is, you're rubbish! Camera does not lie ;0)

'tis annoying. I've watched videos of trails/tracks I've ridden that were quite hairy but the video makes them look like a toddler could ride them. What can you do? A friend of mine suggested getting cameras and I said 'What for? Just so that other people can see how garbage we are at mountain biking?'.

Well Biked
    Quite true. Hopefully having someone in front or behind me will make it worth looking at.

Also, with the wider angle i'll be able to catch someone going off a drop or jump and not cut of the head or the feature. My iPhone can never seem to get in all the action.