Solo quadcopter video of biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New question here. Solo quadcopter video of biking

I have a Phantom 3 Pro and the official software doesn't have any features that allow me to track myself. It looks like I would have to carry the remote, which isn't really practical while riding unless I could disable the inputs on the remote.

Just hovering the drone seems like overkill and underwhelming-- it's essentially a very expensive tripod. Shots with motion are much cooler.

I tried Vertical.AI but the tracking wasn't fast enough. It kept losing track of me. Have not tried Litchi.

The only thing that worked was ghetto and probably not advisable anywhere I mountain bike: shims for the control sticks.

The sticks are recessed in round pockets on the remote, and it's possible to put a shim into the pocket which then keeps the stick from returning to center. I used keys, but next I'm going to use acrylic which I'll sand down and then calibrate for certain speeds, eg 5mph.

Luckily the nearby dirt jumps have plenty of "safe" space around them, so I tested it out. I didn't jump well, but the shot looks good.

If anyone has other brilliant ideas (other than upgrading to a newer drone), I'd love to hear them.

mtbr member
    You have no option other than to upgrade the drone. There are no aftermarket flight controllers that I know of that can utilize tracking hardware. I would sell what you have and get a Mavick.

mtbr member
    This, OR find yourself a friend to operate it for you - you must have at least one friend

Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    You have no option other than to upgrade the drone. There are no aftermarket flight controllers that I know of that can utilize tracking hardware. I would sell what you have and get a Mavick.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Drones are too expensive and too easy to crash when flown by friends. That's why you sell your non broken drone before you let a friend almost certainly crash it and get a Mavick, which is relatively cheap for such a good drone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeh I'm thinking I might get the Mavic if all else fails. I'm concerned about the narrow FOV and smaller sensor since I'm usually flying right after work as the light is fading. On the upside, it's windy here and the props keep coming into shots w/ the Phantom, so at least that wouldn't happen...

I would not trust any of my friends with my drone. I gave every possible pilot a go at flying my Hubsan and they completely trashed it. The only advice I gave was: if you feel yourself losing control, just let go of the sticks. Of course everyone just mashed the sticks and flew it into trees and finally a wall. Everyone gets an F.

mtbr member
    I agree that the sensor is the only small ding against the Mavic as long as the follow function works for fast movement on a bike.

I have the same experience with people and my quads. Quads just make people freak out and not think straight for some reason. Their ears no longer connect with their brain or hands so telling them to do something simple like let go of the sticks will not register at all.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Those things are way too expensive...I would love to use one but the cost and how easy it is to bugger one up keeps me from taking the plunge. Plus having to lug it around makes it rough on long rides as well.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You can get the standard phantom 3 for $399 regularly now. You can't even get a good set of wheels for that. Seems cheap to me.

The Mavic is much more compact and frankly I think a few minutes of drone footage is worth 20x a gopro video, so tempting just because I could actually carry it with me. But the tiny cell phone sized sensor has me worried. Even in a wooded area at noon, I can't get good video out of my Lumia 950xl. There just isn't enough light getting onto the sensor; video is either blurry or grainy.

mtbr member
    Mavic would fit in the back of my Osprey pack, that's exactly what I will do with it once I get it.

The footage I see so far is really crisp as long as the person using it remember to set focus to infinity before taking off. The IQ is really good, it's the FOV that I wish was wider.

mtbr member
    I don't really get on MTBR much, but I thought I'd see if anyone else was using a quadcopter (specifically the Mavic) for pictures and video. I could never justify the size of the Phantoms and Inspires, but I jumped in when the Mavic came out.

There are a few things people should know. The Mavic is not as autonomous as most people really want. I don't trust it to follow me without the remote in hand. Trying to pocket or store the remote would be tricky because it is effectively still 'live'. You can use a phone alone to control it and pocketing a phone only would be easier, but the control range is severely limited. I tested riding with the remote in one hand just to see how well it worked at about 8:32 in this video:

https://youtu.be/jlLg-2gnjo4

I prefer to pilot the drone and use active track where I can to make the job of flying and tracking a subject much easier. There are other limitations too. The algorithm that is used to visually track (for active track) is looking at the size and shape of the object being tracked. As the subject moves away it get smaller and the drone speeds up to get closer and make the subject larger. If your subject is going down a steeper hill, the drone sees the subject getting smaller by virtue of its speed relative to the quadcopter but also because the subject is losing elevation and dropping away from the drone that is flying level. At some point the drone will lose track of the subject and be going so fast that it will overshoot and hopefully stop. Then you have to reset or take over piloting. You can see the effect in my other video:

https://youtu.be/wuFqM7flqFA

mtbr member
    Have you seen the Dobby Pocket Drone? It seems to be quite user-friendly without having to use your hands until it's ready to be docked. I thought about getting one but honestly, I wouldn't feel like stopping every 9-10 minutes because the battery goes dead and change out to a fresh one. As I'm sure all drones have the same basic issue. The price point seems to be about like the ones you mention above approx $399+/-.
    Amp up Your Mid-Ride Photo Game with the Dobby Pocket Drone | Bicycling
    OMB
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper