always licking the glass

small digital camera to take with?

I'm really tired of dealing with the GoPro 3 and my iPhone for MTB shots.

I'd like to get another digital camera since i'm not taking my Canon DSLR with me on rides.

I have a G16, which is pretty old now, and the quality is really grainy. Is there any other suggestions? Has Canon upped their game? Any other players in this market that would be good to carry and put on a gorilla pod for not only photos but small videos?

Also Iíd like something with a faster f-stop than 3.2-3.3 if possible.

I'd prefer something around $300-$400, although Whalenerd has higher requirements than me.
    Last edited by stripes; 02-07-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Subscribed.
    Wants-

Small
    Light
    Tuff
    Some zoom
    Wide angle
    Takes great pics
    Wifi enabled

Preferably <$600
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Subscribed.
    Wants-

Small
    Light
    Tuff
    Some zoom
    Wide angle
    Takes great pics
    Wifi enabled

Preferably <$600
    See I donít care about the WiFi. I want a fast enough lens though.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    See I donít care about the WiFi. I want a fast enough lens though.
    Sorry about that. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. More just piggyback on it

always licking the glass
    Sorry about that. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. More just piggyback on it
    No offense taken

So far, it looks like the low canon G series will meet both our needs. We saw one that was $450 with a f-2.0-3.9 and is WiFi enabled
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    What about a Sony A6000 and the 16-50mm PowerZoom lens? You can definitely get it under $600, and the IQ is going to blow a P&S out of the water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    What about a Sony A6000 and the 16-50mm PowerZoom lens? You can definitely get it under $600, and the IQ is going to blow a P&S out of the water.
    That's tbe camera my budy is recommending and is #1 on my short list. Has it changed/improved at all since it's release? Going on like a 4 year old model now...not that there's anything inherently wrong with an older design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If taking compacts, I would consider Panasonic Lumix LX10/LX15. Used for a short time, was pretty happy, but then switched to Fuji mirrorless (due to lens versatility), which is better but more expensive, bigger and heavier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Subscribed.
    Wants-

Small
    Light
    Tuff
    Some zoom
    Wide angle
    Takes great pics
    Wifi enabled

Preferably <$600
    For my riding camera, I use a fuji X70. It has all the features you want, except for zoom.

The lens is a wide angle, which is perfect for mountain biking. It also has a larger crop sensor.

The reason why I don't use a compact camera with a zoom is that the image quality is significantly worse than an x70. Cell phone cameras are getting better and better. To me, its not worth carrying a compact camera if my cell phone quality is similar.

With the fuji you can get low light, sharpness, and the physical controls you have with a larger camera.

I would also look at the Ricoh GR II, that camera is comparable to the fuji, probably more rugged, but dosne't look as cool.

Some unedited examples of the sharpness and DOF:
    small digital camera to take with?-dscf5603.jpg
    small digital camera to take with?-dscf0504.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Sony RX100 line is getting a bit old, but I'm still using a RX100 MKI with good results as an underwater camera and occasional bike camera, although I'm not sure what the current specs are on the Mark V version.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Where? That looks like way more than I want to spend.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    How about the Nikon Coolpix W300 water proof?

mtbr member
    That's tbe camera my budy is recommending and is #1 on my short list. Has it changed/improved at all since it's release? Going on like a 4 year old model now...not that there's anything inherently wrong with an older design.
    The sensor on the A6500 (the newest version of the A6000) is the same, but the features are significantly upgraded. I believe it now has IBIS, weather sealing, a larger buffer for burst mode, touch-screen AF, and a few other things that make it an amazing option.

I only recommended the A6000 because it fits in your budget; the A6500 is clearly a better camera, but it's also much more expensive. I used the A6000 last fall for a bit, and I was impressed by the quality of pictures produced by an "older" camera and a budget lens. If you're looking to slowly add lenses and keep the body, I'd consider the A6300 or A6500. If you just want something that's easy to carry around and will produce nice pictures for you, then the A6000 is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Where? That looks like way more than I want to spend.
    Here you go, new:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Alpha-...8AAOSwySVaTUU2

I've seen them on the local CL for closer to $400-500, lightly used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RVbldr View Post
    The Sony RX100 line is getting a bit old, but I'm still using a RX100 MKI with good results as an underwater camera and occasional bike camera, although I'm not sure what the current specs are on the Mark V version.
    I have the Mk IV which ticks most boxes except price. And it's the price that stops me from putting it in my bag more often. The high speed and 4k is pretty cool though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    I have the Mk IV which ticks most boxes except price. And it's the price that stops me from putting it in my bag more often. The high speed and 4k is pretty cool though.
    Do you mean that it's too expensive to carry in your pack, because you're afraid you might fall and break it?

I totally get that... my buddy just got the new Sony A9 (and various lenses), and he offered to let me take it on my next MTB trip to test out. That's $3500-4000 worth of gear, I told him no thanks!

mtbr member
    Yeah mine cost nowhere near that. It's fairly robust but I'm told they don't like water at all. Which is a risk as we can get rain at any time

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC LX100 that checks off pretty much all the boxes you are looking for stripes.
    f1.7 - 2.8
    24-75mm zoom
    4K video
    Wifi
    Small enough to fit in hydration pack
    Can be found used for about $400 or for WHALENARD new at BH for 6 and change.

I use it on bike trips and it works great. I found a case that the camera, a couple of spare batteries and the small external flash fit in which goes in my hydration pack.

I actually find myself using it more and more in place of my Canon 7D MKii for everyday shooting due to its size and portability.

Here are a couple of shots to show the size differential between the LX100 and the Canon with 24-70 lens.

small digital camera to take with?-20180209_083352.jpg

small digital camera to take with?-20180209_083444.jpg

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC LX100 that checks off pretty much all the boxes you are looking for stripes.
    f1.7 - 2.8
    24-75mm zoom
    4K video
    Wifi

I use it on bike trips and it works great. I found a case that the camera, a couple of spare batteries and the small external flash fit in which goes in my hydration pack.

I actually find myself using it more and more in place of my Canon 7D MKii for everyday shooting due to its size and portability.

Here are a couple of shots to show the size differential between the LX100 and the Canon with 24-70 lens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180209_083352.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1182169

Name:	20180209_083444.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	1182170
    Thanks! I have a Canon 60D, and I really don't want to take it with me on the trails or to the bike parks

It looks like the size of the Canon G 5X in specs and price. What made you decide to go with the Panasonic as a Canon guy? This gives me a few to research, so it's really appreciated.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had seen a used one for sale and after looking at reviews decided to give it a go. I don't regret the purchase as the IQ is very good and I like that you can take 8 meg still captures from the 4K video in camera.

mtbr member
    f1.7 - 2.8
    24-75mm zoom
    4K video
    Wifi

Name:	20180209_083352.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1182169

Name:	20180209_083444.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	1182170
    That's actually the other camera I'm considering. I've had the Lumix DMC-LX3 since it first came out. It was one the best rated compacts back then and I was super impressed with it. The problem is it was fragile and did not hold up to the vibrations of mtb despite being in a form fitted case. I had it repaired twice before throwing in the towel.

How much pack time has your LX-100 seen and do you ride pretty hard? Would hate to buy that only for it to fail. My buddy has an equivalent cannon as my old LX-3 (not sure which model) and it's been through hell and back as has my rebel. Thanks for any input here as my LX-3 took fantastic pictures. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That's actually the other camera I'm considering. I've had the Lumix DMC-LX3 since it first came out. It was one the best rated compacts back then and I was super impressed with it. The problem is it was fragile and did not hold up to the vibrations of mtb despite being in a form fitted case. I had it repaired twice before throwing in the towel.

How much pack time has your LX-100 seen and do you ride pretty hard? Would hate to buy that only for it to fail. My buddy has an equivalent cannon as my old LX-3 (not sure which model) and it's been through hell and back as has my rebel. Thanks for any input here as my LX-3 took fantastic pictures. Thanks!
    I have had the camera for a couple of years now and it has went on between 20 and 30 rides. Mostly road trips to new trails and group rides on our local trails. I adhere to the theory that if you don't crash once in a while you aren't going fast enough, so it has taken a few tumbles in my pack and so far no issues. I do ride a full squish so that would take care of some hard tail vibration issues.

saddlemeat
    I have been using a a5000 I bought for $139, and a 16/2.8 prime I bought for $175, for several years now. Awesome IQ, ultimate portability, never looked back. Also have the 16-50 zoom and the 55-210 zoom but they make the camera bulky. Tough ass little camera, gets abused on a daily basis.

edit: 12mm/2.0 Rokinon probably my next lens purchase.
    I ride with the best dogs.

always licking the glass
    Thanks all. After some research and playing around, I opted for a canon power shot g7 mk ii. With $200 worth of gift certificates, it ended up being $250. Iíll post pics when I get a chance to get out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks like a great choice. Where the heck did you find it for that price?

always licking the glass
    Looks like a great choice. Where the heck did you find it for that price?
    I got it for $450. It was $250 out of pocket because I had $200 worth of gift certificates.
    Hadley hubs for sale

always licking the glass
    Camera arrived today. Charging the battery tonight and hoping to play with it tomorrow.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Camera arrived today. Charging the battery tonight and hoping to play with it tomorrow.
    Have you had a chance to try the camera and if so what do you think?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would go with the Sony a6000, they can be had for less than 500 dollars these days and it has all the above mention to include an assortment of Canon lenses with a metabones adapter. But i used a Sony a6000 with a Sigma wide angle and i almost forgot i had it in my bag...perfect for riding on trails TBH.

always licking the glass
    Have you had a chance to try the camera and if so what do you think?
    Sorry for the delay. So I've used the camera with both a gorilla pod to get videos, and for photos.

For bursts, it's fantastic if you have someone panning the camera. For video, it comes out ok, but you have to make sure you don't accidently focus on a blade of grass. :/

It ends up much clearer than the iPhone or any Android phone, and usually requires minimal post-work. I did find that it tends to make the shadows darker, so you might have to brighten those up post-prod.

Here's a pic of me today against the dark clouds, from a burst set with the shadows brightened up a bit:small digital camera to take with?-img_0319-copy.jpg
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    "It ends up much clearer than the iPhone or any Android phone, and usually requires minimal post-work. I did find that it tends to make the shadows darker, so you might have to brighten those up post-prod."

dig into the menus, 99% sure you can change the look and color by choosing deferent profiles and tweaking the levels.... with most cameras the stock look is really contrasty and the color is usually over the top.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee View Post
    "It ends up much clearer than the iPhone or any Android phone, and usually requires minimal post-work. I did find that it tends to make the shadows darker, so you might have to brighten those up post-prod."

dig into the menus, 99% sure you can change the look and color by choosing deferent profiles and tweaking the levels.... with most cameras the stock look is really contrasty and the color is usually over the top.
    Oh I know. Itís my initial feedback for everyone. Iím really enjoying the camera,
    takes some nice pics and vids.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    I have a Sony A7II but my daughter has the A6000 and I prefer it do to size. Amazing camera and amazing bang for your buck. Sony mirrorless is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've been into photography longer than most mountain bikers have been alive, lol. Shot everything from large format film to phones and I carry an Olympus Micro 4/3. For the size it is amazing, 90% as good as my full frame Nikon. Panisonic makes a super compact wide to normal zoom that can easily be tucked in a fanny or backpack. It really just boils down to if you want an eye level viewer or something smaller without, they are all great.

saddlemeat
    I like my now familiar sony a5000 with a 16/2.8 prime, super small package but captures a big beautiful file, and I often prefer a waist level viewfinder. Be aware that the small light weight digital cameras can be harder to hold steady for sharp images.
    I ride with the best dogs.