mtbr member

Inspiration and technique, how to take better photos¡?

Some folks can find an interesting photo walking through a hardware store. Other folks can walk through a mountain village in Peru, and wind up with a photo of an old woman selling potatoes.

Not sure about you, I could use some better ideas, new techniques. There is room for improvement, in my photos, plenty of room.

Kodak, and most camera companies have tips and tricks.
    Top 10 Tips for Great Pictures – Kodak Moments

How do we improve, get to the next level?
    https://www.photo.net/contest/bokeh-contest

I will attempt the first tip, (even though I was asking for advice.) Color has a temperature. Many of the people who read this, have a custom white balance setting in their camera.
    https://www.photographymad.com/pages...ur-temperature

The thought behind this thread is to share ideas or tips on how to take a better photo. Some people know how to take beautiful photos of star trails, some can take a photo of a person, (maybe even the old woman who sells potatoes,) and make it look good.

What about painting with light?

Look back at a photo you are proud of, and tell the rest of us how you did it, tools, technique, thought behind it.

Tip,
    The old woman selling potatoes will be happy to have her photo taken, if you give her a small gift, A piece of Chocolate can taste quite good too an old indigenous woman who lives on a little ranch in the mountains of Peru, and goes to town twice a week to sell her potatoes. I always ask for permission to take a person's photo.

¨ But, no matter what, you still have to know your camera settings. Understanding your camera is a big key ¨
    https://learnandsupport.getolympus.c...otography-tips
    Lots of help if you scroll down.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/p...niques-photos/
    Last edited by chrisx; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:42 PM.

This place needs an enema
    90.2% of people are only interested in the photos they can take with their iPhone, and usually only selfies.

Of the rest, 5% are too busy texting to bother with their phone's camera function.

mtbr member

From pocket billiards to photography few try to excel

Maybe some of the people who do try to excel will share some thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    90.2% of people are only interested in the photos they can take with their iPhone, and usually only selfies.

Of the rest, 5% are too busy texting to bother with their phone's camera function.
    4.8% of people that take photos, use a camera?
    Before the cell phone, before digital, 4.8% of people had a camera¿
    Of those, 90% use the auto setting. Not too far from the truth; 0.48% want to take good photos. That is actually a lot of people. Only 3% of people are avid sports fans.

It takes time to learn how to take a good photograph. Talent or intelligence or artistic ability are certainly part of the process these things cannot be bought or sold.

What about those in the 0.48%, who want to advance to the 0.048% who really do take good photographs? A better education on techniques and equipment could help.

Does anyone ask to see your photos? Has the guy that prints photos ever asked how you took one?
    There are a few people on MTBR that know a couple of things about photos and how to... ..
    Maybe some of the people who do try to excel will share some info and ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8mFUORG1CU

Wasted pixels slow the rotation of the earth.
    Last edited by chrisx; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I try to be creative but I'm not always very good at it.

Things that have save my photos from being just another picture is camera settings.

It takes an eye for photography, and I don't know if that is something you can 'learn'. Plus, everybody likes something different.

I was showing my dad a nice picture of slow shutter waterfall. He liked the ones with splashes better because it stopped the water. I didn't want to explain the difference because his eye preferred a photo differently than mine. I think he liked the clarity vs. blur/motion.

As the photographer, shoot what looks best to you. But also consider what 'others' would want to have displayed on their desks or in their home.

Understand depth of field is also good.
    A beautifully crisp image from a phone looks nice and bright, but the whole photo looks the same.
    I snapped a cell picture a few days ago and it looks teriffic. A forest of blackened burnt trees. Damp dirt. Blue sky. Orange bike. It what would look good in a slide show on my computer. But it's too 'in focus' for me to want to put on a wall.

Hopefully there will be many fun tips and tricks to come from this thread. It will be nice to learn what others do for their "perfect" image.

I took a lot of creative photos of my new bike a few years ago. The G/F and I did the same when she got her bike and I just did it again with the bike I just got. In addition though, I enjoy video editing (dabble) so I made a video of the bike instead of an album of photos only.

saddlemeat
    I have been seriously pursuing fine art photography for the last 50 years, and have simplified my gear to where I see my surroundings in terms of my lens and workflow. I just snap a picture of the potentially good ones.

A good starting point, is to become aware of basic quality of light and composition, in terms of how they can be used to make an interesting and balanced image. Learn to observe your surroundings in those terms, and take lots of photos under all kinds of conditions on a daily basis.

Start using your camera settings and editing software to try to reproduce what your eyes were seeing at the time. You can do this at many levels of sophistication, but sometimes simple is best for learning. You could use a prime lens and manual settings, and capture monochrome B&W images, to learn to see with your photographic eye.

Look at lots of excellent photographs and analyse them in those terms, asking yourself how they were composed and how they used the light to make you feel what they are saying to you.

I'm sure you will get plenty of details from others.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Last edited by chrisx; 1 Week Ago at 12:56 PM.