GoPro Hero 8 Trade in offer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

GoPro Hero 8 Trade in offer

I was just looking at the new Hero 8 since there has been so much talk about it on Youtube. Apparently the internal image stabilization is so good that you no longer need a gimbal and you can hard mount the camera and still get vibration free video.

One GoPro's website, they are offering a $100 trade allowance for ANY digital video camera in ANY condition; even non working.
    $399 msrp - $100 trade = $299 final cost

GoPro even pays shipping on the trades plus free shipping on the new Hero with a 30 day return if you don't like it.

That's a pretty good deal, I have a couple older non working cameras collecting dust. I'm going to trade a couple in and get a couple new Hero 8 cameras.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    In my opinion the 7 and 8 do not replace a Gimbal but it's good.

When they put optical stabilization on the lens I'd say it's closer to eliminating a gimbal.

They do a good great job of stabilizing, but you are still locking the lens into a fix position despite body movement. Do you want to capture 5 minutes of your top tube, or sky, because you had the position mis adjusted for that situation? Just things to consider with setup.

I should shop CL for a used camera for a trade in. I'd like one of the new ones for dirt bike and/or for damp rides where my Gimbal can't be used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    There are a couple YouTube videos showing the 8 with no gimbal and the video was stabile throughout the entire ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I did the same deal on a 7, pretty easy to find a qualifying digital camera for trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Check out the latest video from Loam Ranger (10/20/2019).

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C in Az View Post
    There are a couple YouTube videos showing the 8 with no gimbal and the video was stabile throughout the entire ride.
    Can be done even with software, post fact. But this is done by cropping the image to a smaller size. Better stabilization, more crop. Optical stabilization does not crop. Gimbal is even better.

Having that said, I have an old Yi Cam that I may want to trade. What do you guys think, GP6 with gimbal or GP8 with/without gimbal?

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I was just looking at the new Hero 8 since there has been so much talk about it on Youtube. Apparently the internal image stabilization is so good that you no longer need a gimbal and you can hard mount the camera and still get vibration free video.

One GoPro's website, they are offering a $100 trade allowance for ANY digital video camera in ANY condition; even non working.
    $399 msrp - $100 trade = $299 final cost

GoPro even pays shipping on the trades plus free shipping on the new Hero with a 30 day return if you don't like it.

That's a pretty good deal, I have a couple older non working cameras collecting dust. I'm going to trade a couple in and get a couple new Hero 8 cameras.
    That is a really good deal. I have a Hero 3 Silver that I have been using for a few years now.

Question for anyone with an 8:

Does it fit in the same case as my Hero 3? Or am I also purchasing a few new cases?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    Can be done even with software, post fact. But this is done by cropping the image to a smaller size. Better stabilization, more crop. Optical stabilization does not crop. Gimbal is even better.

Having that said, I have an old Yi Cam that I may want to trade. What do you guys think, GP6 with gimbal or GP8 with/without gimbal?
    GP6 with a Gimbal needs to be in the Karma Grip or you'll pick up motor noise. I was going to get the 7, but the gimbal noise is still apparent. Plus my EVO SS would need a counter weight as the 6, 7, and 8 weigh more than the Hero2 does (what I have) but shares a body size similar to the Hero4. As far as I know, one needs a counter weight and new mount to use the EVO SS with the 6, 7 and 8 Hero models.

Alternatively, external mic for either of the 3 GoPro's while in a Gimbal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    GP6 with a Gimbal needs to be in the Karma Grip or you'll pick up motor noise. I was going to get the 7, but the gimbal noise is still apparent. Plus my EVO SS would need a counter weight as the 6, 7, and 8 weigh more than the Hero2 does (what I have) but shares a body size similar to the Hero4. As far as I know, one needs a counter weight and new mount to use the EVO SS with the 6, 7 and 8 Hero models.

Alternatively, external mic for either of the 3 GoPro's while in a Gimbal.
    Not perceptible noise. This is me with the GP6+Feyiu WGX2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY36X0YTd7M

I just fight a little with the locked/follow modes. One is still a bit shaky, and the other flattens the footage even more. Maybe it's time to play with the gimbal settings. This gimbal also does not require the counterweight, but I digress. Let's go back to the topic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    That is a really good deal. I have a Hero 3 Silver that I have been using for a few years now.

Question for anyone with an 8:

Does it fit in the same case as my Hero 3? Or am I also purchasing a few new cases?
    The 8 does not need a case for most cases (duh). It is waterproof to 15 meters, and has the mount on the body of the camera. The mount folds when you don't need it. I don't like those hinges much, but time will tell if they are prone to break or not.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    The 8 does not need a case for most cases (duh). It is waterproof to 15 meters, and has the mount on the body of the camera. The mount folds when you don't need it. I don't like those hinges much, but time will tell if they are prone to break or not.

oh dang! I did not know that. hmm, now I will have to start saving, the image stabilization would be nice, I tried a Gimble once and hated the way I had to mount it...
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    This is simply not true.

Look at the horizon on the GP8 footage vs. gimbal footage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Not perceptible noise. This is me with the GP6+Feyiu WGX2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY36X0YTd7M

I just fight a little with the locked/follow modes. One is still a bit shaky, and the other flattens the footage even more. Maybe it's time to play with the gimbal settings. This gimbal also does not require the counterweight, but I digress. Let's go back to the topic.
    I had minor motor noise with my WG. They are better than the EVO for the 5/6/7 but still not as good as the Karma from a stabilization standpoint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by render ranger View Post
    I had minor motor noise with my WG. They are better than the EVO for the 5/6/7 but still not as good as the Karma from a stabilization standpoint.
    Let's continue here:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/photography-...s-1028241.html