which go pro to buy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

which go pro to buy?

I'm looking to upgrade from my go pro hero 2. I cant decide between the hero 5 black and hero session 5, most of my filming would be on the mountain bike. Which one would you purchase?

mtbr member
    I have a 4 silver, so I can attest the built in screen is handy, particularly for adjusting settings. Nice to be able to swap in a new battery as well. However, I don't mess around with settings very often, so I really don't use the screen alot. Battery is probably a bigger deal. I'd say if you're a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, and don't really expect to run out of battery, the session, being smaller and cheaper would be attractive. If you plan to experiment with settings and be out all day, the 5 makes sense. Also, while I haven't seen any side by side footage of the 5's, the 4 silver (and black) had considerably better image quality than the 4 session.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    I've really only just started using the Session 4. I like it's compact size. Battery is plenty for my mountainbiking (I only turn it on for the DH). I like being able to set it up with my phone too. I can get the angles just right. Plus as it's small it's easier to stick on interesting parts of the frame.
    My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    If you missed it, there's a video section too.

Compare the features. Biggest one to me is screen vs no screen. Do you need it, or would you not mind connecting to your phone almost every time to set it up and check view? Besides format, they are mostly the same feature-wise, but the Session does have 10MP versus the Black's 12MP (same video capabilities though, not sure how they managed that).

I also want to throw out, I recently got a Garmin Virb Ultra 30, and I love it. Same price now, same video capabilities, also does voice control, etc. Garmin did it first! Lol. But I think it's cooler for bikers because it automatically records maps, speed, elevation, all kinds of data that you can overlay onto the video. You can also pair ANT+ devices such as power meters and wheel speed sensors to it. I don't regret it versus the Hero 5. I have a thread in the video section if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Like mentioned above, the session is awesome for getting different angles on the bike and stuff, plus its way lighter for mounting on your helmet too. The downfall is the battery is internal so if you plan on filming A LOT in one day that might be an issue. I recently went out for a day and recorded roughly 45 minutes of footage with the session and when I plugged it in to upload the footage the battery icon showed about half so I think battery life is a non issue unless you record the ENTIRE RIDE. I have both the Hero4 Silver and the original session (not the new session5) and they both work great. I will say one thing, the hero4 is better for more than just mounting on the bike for a day of riding like taking pictures and doing timelapse videos and such. The video quality between the two is the same, so it all comes down to what you want to do with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thank you guys for all the replies, I ended up getting the hero 5. So far I'm liking it a lot. Its a great improvement over the hero 3 that I had. One thing that I didn't know about the video stabilization is its only go for 1080p up to 60fps so that was a bit of a let down. Do you guys use any gimbals??

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I am coming from a Hero2 (w LCD display) as well and just picked up the Hero5 tonight in fact. I like having the display. I hope I can turn it off when not needed just like the Hero2.

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    If you missed it, there's a video section too.

Compare the features. Biggest one to me is screen vs no screen. Do you need it, or would you not mind connecting to your phone almost every time to set it up and check view? Besides format, they are mostly the same feature-wise, but the Session does have 10MP versus the Black's 12MP (same video capabilities though, not sure how they managed that).

I also want to throw out, I recently got a Garmin Virb Ultra 30, and I love it. Same price now, same video capabilities, also does voice control, etc. Garmin did it first! Lol. But I think it's cooler for bikers because it automatically records maps, speed, elevation, all kinds of data that you can overlay onto the video. You can also pair ANT+ devices such as power meters and wheel speed sensors to it. I don't regret it versus the Hero 5. I have a thread in the video section if you're interested.
    Saw the thread and I do like the stats display. But in the end wanted a camera that had a gimbal that required little fuss to mount it.

Nikon also has some action cams coming out, including the Mission 360. That looks really interesting. As a former roadie I thought I should start filming front and rear. The Mission 360 does all that in 1 camera. May pick one up when they go on sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    Thank you guys for all the replies, I ended up getting the hero 5. So far I'm liking it a lot. Its a great improvement over the hero 3 that I had. One thing that I didn't know about the video stabilization is its only go for 1080p up to 60fps so that was a bit of a let down. Do you guys use any gimbals??
    Yeah, most of these small cams can only stabilize to that resolution. Most of us use the Feiyu-Tech WG or similar series for body mounting I think. I don't know if the Hero 5 will fit that though. You know GoPro makes a gimbal for the Hero 5 right? Can transfer it to the Karma too.

Quote Originally Posted by alh View Post
    I am coming from a Hero2 (w LCD display) as well and just picked up the Hero5 tonight in fact. I like having the display. I hope I can turn it off when not needed just like the Hero2.

Saw the thread and I do like the stats display. But in the end wanted a camera that had a gimbal that required little fuss to mount it.

Nikon also has some action cams coming out, including the Mission 360. That looks really interesting. As a former roadie I thought I should start filming front and rear. The Mission 360 does all that in 1 camera. May pick one up when they go on sale.
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to turn it off. Or put it on the shortest timeout, which is like what, 2 seconds?

You talking about the FeiyuTech? It's two screws, don't see how that's "fuss", but it's obviously your choice. Though I'll give you that the GoPro gimbal does look easier, seems like the camera just slides in and you clip the gimbal's hinged door?

I started a thread on the KeyMission 360 about a month (?) ago actually. No responses lol. But it seems pretty cool. They've been talking about releasing it since Spring, and kept getting pushed back. I saw early videos that showed the two sensors exposing differently, which was weird. There are also some limited mounting options (I don't think you would want to mount that on a top tube for obvious, backward-facing reasons). I was really interested in it about all spring/summer, though them continually pushing it back caused me to go somewhere else. I think it's a great idea, but I won't be getting the first runs of it, I'll let them work out the bugs that a bunch of Nikon equipment has in the initial run (and that's coming from a Nikon dSLR user ). I think it would be really awesome on a drone.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Didn't you say you had to use a dremel or cut something to make it work with the feiyu?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Didn't you say you had to use a dremel or cut something to make it work with the feiyu?
    With the GoPro bracket, yes. But apparently they make another, bigger, bracket designed for the Yi cam that fits. It's in the mail now

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'll definitely have to look into the FeiyuTech and Go pro gimbals. I'm going to message Feiyu see if there is compatible on the go pro 5. No point in having 4k recording if it cant stabilize it.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So I chatted with Tech support at GoPro, there is no way to turn the screen off with the current firmware (and yes, I updated to the latest version). Frustrating.

Somewhere I read stats that you'll get approximately 1hr 45mins of record time on a single battery at 1080/60fps and certain options turned on (gps, bluetooth, voice, etc) and approximately 10 mins more if you turn those options off. Even with a 2nd battery, that's just a little over 3.5-4 hours of record time. Was hoping for closer to a full day for at the bike park...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So I chatted with Tech support at GoPro, there is no way to turn the screen off with the current firmware (and yes, I updated to the latest version). Frustrating.

Somewhere I read stats that you'll get approximately 1hr 45mins of record time on a single battery at 1080/60fps and certain options turned on (gps, bluetooth, voice, etc) and approximately 10 mins more if you turn those options off. Even with a 2nd battery, that's just a little over 3.5-4 hours of record time. Was hoping for closer to a full day for at the bike park...
    That's odd that you can't turn it off. Then again I don't know if you can on any of the action cams I guess.

That battery life is pretty typical. I think you have high expectations, too high. Almost all of these small action cams have about the same battery life. Don't be surprised if you get less than that with everything on it running, and expect about an hour recording 4k video (why did they call it 4k and not 2160p? Who started that?? Why totally change it?? Not only that, it's not even 4k, it's 3840 on the long edge! I digress). Unfortunately, that's the way it is. Just have to pack some extra batteries.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My old Hero2 you could turn it off, but it was a physical switch. What got me worried was that there was no physical switch on the 5. I was hoping it was in their app but downloaded that and it ain't there.

Is a sweet camera otherwise.

RAKC
    I just bought a hero 5 and power button IS in the app, upper right corner. Once the firmware update is done (mine is running right now) all glitches are gone.

Hero5 is awesome so far. Built in touch screen and everything while being fully waterproof without a case. Yi 4k also needed firmware update but is untouchable in the sub $300 Dept. But literally comes with nothing but it's battery and usb cable. So $300 by the time you got a case and gopro mounts if you don't have any.

Hero5 at best buy came with a free U3 64g sandisk extreme plus card. That just dropped the price of set up to $350ish.

Yi app I like a little better, smoother and less glitchy ATM.

Did I mention hero 5 is waterproof without a damn case lol. Though Yi looks like it's wouldn't be trash if it got lightly snowed on. Things are covered just not bottom door seal. And unsure of seal around lens.

Also 5 is slightly bigger than 4 because of the outer coating.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

RAKC
    Being this camera has been out like 2 weeks how can that conclusion be drawn. If chip and such is the same, the that makes the 5B a much better deal. It's cheaper ($400 vs $450-500) does all the same stuff with extra features. Saying waterproofing means nothing, so far from the truth. Only doesn't matter if you live in the desert or california where you get little to no rain anyway and no humidity.

Combine that with using a gimbal (which some have basic water resistance which 4B has none, it's fully exposed) where case isn't usable and your limits are narrow.

5B I can run on my new gimbal and ride in the snow and such without concern for my most expensive camera ever.

Also 5B carries built in EIS for the people that aren't trying to make or able to post-process some professional video.

So until someone has facts to prove it wrong, the 5B is better bang for buck at the moment. Especially when they give you a $40-50 SD card for free with it. And 4B vs Yi 4K run neck and neck in every test and review out there.

To each there own but 4B isn't king anymore. It may not have been surpassed yet but it's been matched.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    In terms of straight video quality, there are a bunch of cameras that all do 4k that look good. Some have EIS, which may make them better. EIS isn't super great, I know I don't use it because it's unpredictable. We need OIS, which the new Sony cam has. Obviously GoPro thought that the image quality was fine, since it's the same damn thing in the Hero 5, and thought that features/form factor was more important. And in terms of features, they lose. And the Karma is a toy of a drone. I just preordered the DJI Mavic, which is about 4 years ahead of the Karma in technology. Only thing nice about the Karma is the ability to take the camera and then use it in your hand, don't have to carry an extra camera and gimbal. I'll admit, that's convenient, but with the size of these things, it's not really a big deal. The benefits of the Mavic as a drone far outweighs not having to carry an extra camera. IMO anyway.

The biggest thing, and I think the only thing the Hero 5 has going for it, is that it's waterproof in the gimbal. But do we know the gimbal is waterproof also? Because if not, it's irrelevant.

The only other thing they have left is what they're trying to promote, the "GoPro ecosystem". That's the whole cloud storage and mobility thing. Gotta say, not sure it's as great as they're trying to make it. It will be easier, no doubt, and may be enough for people to stay around, but most companies have apps for their cameras and mobile editing now. Dunno. Guess we'll see in a couple years.

RAKC
    I'm definitely not saying it's an "upgrade" from a 4 black. Got some blingy features (touch screen and such) but if I had a 4B I wouldn't have bought a 5.

I like the simplicity myself. No screwing with anything, worrying about using a case or fiddling with trying to adjust settings. It's "me proof". Performance of 4B, some convenient blingy touches and lower price If you get the deal with free as card.

But if you have a 4Black (silver probably not far off either). Don't bother buying a 5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Which gimbal are you using for your 5?

RAKC
    Nothing right now because nothing fits. But I have the Rider M/ Evo SS. I'm probably going to machine a new plate next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Exactly, the 4b and 4s are still good enough. I wouldnt recommend upgrading to the 5b. I only purchased the 5b because my other GoPro was way outdated I thought it was the h3 but, actually it was the hero1.

I've been having problems uploading videos through the GoPro it kept saying "something wrong" after it would load 1-2 videos. So I had to use sdcard adapter directly to my computer and everything loaded. I'm wondering if its a software problem right now. Another thing is it looks like to use GoPros cloud you will have to pay?

Let me know how your fabrication comes out for mounting the gimbal.

RAKC
    The firmware in the 5 is still a bit glitchy. I was doing some digging and found gopro website has its own forum and a lot of little headaches here and there caused by firmware glitches.

RAKC
    Ya too many focus on resolution. Market garbage. Like you said, bit rate matters SO MUCH MORE. Resolution means crap if data transfer (bit rate) can't keep up.

I agree 4B is a good camera, you've gotten pretty lucky no failures due to most conditions, but my experience isn't a 4B which could be much better.

But right now 5B is cheaper than most places (unless you find a really good deal).

Gopro simply needed to one up companies like Yi and Sony, so they did.

My camera choice was more on cost versus the added features. 5B, free 64g extreme plus U3 card vs cost of just a 4B that I would have to buy a new card for.

So far video test has come out really great. Going to put the EIS to the test tonight while my Yi will be on the gimbal on my chest.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Coming from a Hero2, I'm pretty happy with the 5. The one button operation to turn on and record is great. The EIS does seem to help smooth out the video, but ultimately a gimbal will be needed for the smoothest video.

I haven't had any firmware issues yet (only 2 hours of recording thus far). I need to test/play more with the 5, but the auto mic selection might be quirky depending on application.

RAKC
    I just got my first ride on it in tonight. VERY impressed. I wanted a set of cameras that would be awesome at night ride video, and this one (and the Yi 4K) do amazing at it. I make sure to set everything manually though cause auto ISO can make a mess of things when your on a trail at speed through the woods. I threw this on the bars to put the EIS to the test. Better than any of the cheaper cameras ive tried. And video quality was minimally effected.

LOVE IT. Im becoming more of a "just pay the money and be done with it" person more and more. Only one cheaper camera can touch this thing and it isnt "cheap".

This thing still wont play nice with Ubuntu (Linux) computer though which is annoying.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The 5 Black and 4 Black image quality is very much the same for all the video comparisons I have seen on the internet which makes me wonder if they both have the same image sensor. Even if they don't, you probably will be hard pressed to tell the two apart from video comparisons. The fact that the 5 Black is $100 cheaper makes it the obvious choice over the 4 Black.

The 5 Black is basically, in my opinion, a 4 Black with an LCD screen, GPS, and EIS tossed into the package along with being waterproof without a housing. I would definitely recommend purchasing an extra lens cover just to have handy in case you bungle up the on on the camera and having something to protect the camera when you are transporting it - in my case, I have a fanny pack I put 4 other GoPro's in (3 - Hero 3+ silvers and 1 - Hero 3 Black) so definitely cannot toss the 5 Black in there because that is asking for the lens cover to get scratched so probably have to wrap the camera in something.

The only thing is I have heard that there won't be any 3rd party battery support for the 5 Black and I hope that is not true - the Wasabi and Smatree batteries on my Hero 3 cameras tend to work a little better than the GoPro batteries and are about half the price. Anyone hear anything on that as well?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

RAKC
    I don't just toss my cameras into bags or anything, have a couple different cases. One is the new one I just bought which is set up with the 5, my Yi 4K and gimbal (plus spare batteries and such) in the main section. Works out great and keeps everything protected.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I don't just toss my cameras into bags or anything, have a couple different cases. One is the new one I just bought which is set up with the 5, my Yi 4K and gimbal (plus spare batteries and such) in the main section. Works out great and keeps everything protected.

Which one did you get? I was over at REI looking at an organizer this weekend. Will wait to purchase though until I have the new gimbal to make sure it fits the organizer.

RAKC
    I bought a Smatree one off Amazon. One side I just laid my gimbal and it's self stick on, cut to match and glued some of the smaller pieces in.

Certain things there is literally not a single reason to pay big money for. A simple camera case would be one of them

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Looks like the Nikon Mission cameras are getting horrible reviews. I canceled my pre-order...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASDP1SY...ing=UTF8&psc=1

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I made video of my opinion for choosing GoPro Cameras. FYI - This is just my opinion and others may vary.

I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Members who have read this thread: 3