Do not buy gopro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Do not buy gopro

When reading this keep in mind the following.

1) This is the same company from whom I bought an mount that said it would fit 31.8 bars and it didnt. The top of the arch of the clamp wouldn't even touch the bars, with NO washer in the clamp. When I sent gopro a picture of this visible gaps, they said that was normal.

2) I live in an arid climate. I do not ride in rain much. It usually goes from around -5 or -10 to 95 or 100 in an average year temp wise.

3) There is no way to keep the battery warm when it is in the camera. The housing is needed for dust and moisture protection since the idiots that made it didnt put any f-ing seals on the camera itself.

4) The first camera I did nothing to. I rode with it in rain one time. It started having issues with freezing up and turning on automatically. The second one I rinsed the edge of the lense under water and then left in rice for 2 weeks. It worked fine at first but started having issues with not making audible noise after a couple weeks of use and some other issues I cannot recall. This 3rd camera I did nothing to has so far frozen up on start up a couple of times. This one hasnt even been in rain, but has been in cold. My phone works in these conditions. No excuse for the camera.

I hope I save at least someone the misery of owning shoddy products.

"Thanks for the reply. You may need to change the way you use the camera. When mounting in hot weather you want to have the camera outside of the waterproof housing and in the skeleton housing. The key is keeping the camera out of direct sunlight, especially for long periods of time. In cold weather you want to be sure to keep the batteries warm and on your person.

Those are a couple of recommendations to help alleviate the intermittent issues.

If the problems still persist, don't hesitate to reach out.

I look forward to your reply."

"Thanks for the reply. If you don't use the camera in the recommended way, those are the results you get. You're having the same issues with three different cameras. The problem isn't the camera it's the way that you're using it.

Replacing the camera isn't doing you any good.

Please let me know if any new issues arise that I can provide solutions for."

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I own 6 GoPro's - Hero HD, Hero 2, Hero 3 Black, and 3 Hero 3+ Silvers - never had a single issue with them... bought my Hero HD in 2010 and went from there. As far as mounts, GoPro charges too much for their mounts, I would go aftermarket for those or make your own mounts.

For example, GoPro charges $49.99 for their clamp mount. I went to Ace Hardware and bought a similar size clamp for $4.99. Stuck a adhesive flat mount on the edge and hot glued to reinforce the bond. 1/10 the price for just as quality of a mount.

Amazon has tons of aftermarket GoPro mounts that can be had for a fraction of the cost GoPro charges. While GoPro might not be everyone's cup of tea, you cannot argue that the one thing GoPro has is tons of mounting options and the form factor of the camera is ideal for a lot of those - especially chest mounts.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    1) The emails I got prove me right. Their demands for proper usage are ridiculous. The constant failures with no reasonable cause, except maybe the second camera, are not acceltable or reasonable.

2) Cost is irrelevant here. The clamp simply would not take a 31.8 bar as advertised and when I complained I was told that was normal.

When I see behaviour like this comming out of a company, and products this shoddy, it is like dealing with an unscrupulous no name chinese brand off amazon. I think they purposely made unreasonable usage demands.

And how the fek does anyone have the gall to tell someone to not use an action cam in direct sunlight? I mean WTF?!?! ESPECIALLY FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME?!?! Is this a fekking indoor only action cam or some crap?!

Ride More, Work Less
    Seems like you should do better research before a purchase.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Finally!
    You do realize the housings are water proof but the camera is not. If you are getting the actual camera itself wet it will of course give you issues. I have used mine for everything including outdoor winter riding at temps cold enough to freeze my water bottle in 20 minutes with no issues. Maybe you are doing it wrong? Rinsing the lens with water is definitely doing it wrong and has nothing to do with bad product.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    That does not explain the two other failures. Conflating the issue by trying to insuniate that all of the cameras got wet is lame. The other two have had problems even though I have done nothing to them. And even then, had I the sense to buy contour or drift that wouldnt even have been and issue. And do research? I have never seen anything telling me not to use the camera outside when it is sunny or cold (you can't use it if it is on your body) until now. I should have bought from a company that actually cares about it products and designs. The fact that a 31.8 clamp didnt fit 31.8 bars right should have been a big hint to me that this company is just there to cheat people out of money on junk. And yes, I knew the camera itself wasnt water proof. That is why I use the housing when it's *gasp* sunny outside. Just in case. I barely touched the edge of that lens on the second one to some running water.

Ride More, Work Less
    31.8 bars are not 31.8. Typically they have 31.8 right where the stem mounts to the bar in the clamp area. The bar is tapered to a much smaller diameter right after the camp and on out to the grips and shifters.

You broke the other cameras by getting them wet.

The sounds can be turned on and off. You may have inadvertently done this with the app or settings on the camera.

Sometimes firmware and malfunctions occur.

In your case, and I mean this with the upmost respect, you are conflating gopro issues with your issues.

Ride More, Work Less
    As for the cold weather tip (which is where research needs to come into play), everything from your phone to camera batteries to anything lithium ion does not perform well below freezing. This has nothing to do with gopro. My iphone will not work outside in Minnesota winters. It shuts off almost immediately at -10F. My gopro will run probably 20 minutes. What you need to do is have multiple batteries and put them on your body to keep the batteries warm (this is the same trick photographers do). When the battery dies in the camera, you swap it out with a warm battery. You put the emptied battery into a different pocket with a hand warmer. Once you cycle through the freshly charged batteries. You can go back to the spent batteries with the hand warmer. They will be magically "recharged" by the increased heat and will work for some more time.

The exposure to the sun is a different issue. The LCD display will turn black if the camera gets too hot. Sealed in the case, the temperatures can soar and damage internal components. This isn't anything special about the camera. Sit your phone on a rock under the bright sun and watch it die too.

Buy Wasabi batteries off amazon for the camera. They are cheap and work well.

Old Phart
    I have a gopro for a dash-cam, and like it so much better than the JVC I had before. Yes - in the summer it will die from the heat even with the AC on because it is just inside the screen in direct sun.
    I have NEVER had it die in the winter (I do not warm up the car) even when it has been in negative territory. Is it perfect? No. Would I replace it with another gopro? Sure.
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Pogo

Finally!
    Quote Originally Posted by lighty View Post
    That does not explain the two other failures. Conflating the issue by trying to insuniate that all of the cameras got wet is lame. The other two have had problems even though I have done nothing to them. And even then, had I the sense to buy contour or drift that wouldnt even have been and issue. And do research? I have never seen anything telling me not to use the camera outside when it is sunny or cold (you can't use it if it is on your body) until now. I should have bought from a company that actually cares about it products and designs. The fact that a 31.8 clamp didnt fit 31.8 bars right should have been a big hint to me that this company is just there to cheat people out of money on junk. And yes, I knew the camera itself wasnt water proof. That is why I use the housing when it's *gasp* sunny outside. Just in case. I barely touched the edge of that lens on the second one to some running water.
    With comments like this I sure hope you invest in fire retardant underwear because you are lighting the match to get some heavy flaming.
    I know at least 100 people with these cameras ranging from the originals to Hero 4 Black. I own 1 and have 4 I use for process audits at work. I don't know a single person who has made a warranty claim. Not 1!! But somehow you have had 3 go south on you. Maybe try to be less stubborn and for just 1 second consider the common element with your failures...you! Coming here to complain about a product and to badmouth a company that makes products so many of us own and love is "lame". I don't think Gopro is the only company that makes a good action camera or that they are the only one to buy but they sure do deliver when I use mine and many here will agree. Seriously step back and look at your use of it. Did you read the manual? Did you expect it to do things that the manual says it won't ? You truly need to make sure you are not at fault before slamming a company.

BTW you told us you got the camera wet, we didn't assume.
    I use the exact handlebar mount you speak of on my 31.8mm bars with out issue. See
    https://youtu.be/FtgrbeLFNRY

Old Phart
    From page 55 of my manual:Do not buy gopro-capture.jpg

Maybe an "RTFM" is in order. Or at least watch the LCD display to see what it says now and then.
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Pogo

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    With comments like this I sure hope you invest in fire retardant underwear because you are lighting the match to get some heavy flaming.
    I know at least 100 people with these cameras ranging from the originals to Hero 4 Black. I own 1 and have 4 I use for process audits at work. I don't know a single person who has made a warranty claim. Not 1!! But somehow you have had 3 go south on you. Maybe try to be less stubborn and for just 1 second consider the common element with your failures...you! Coming here to complain about a product and to badmouth a company that makes products so many of us own and love is "lame". I don't think Gopro is the only company that makes a good action camera or that they are the only one to buy but they sure do deliver when I use mine and many here will agree. Seriously step back and look at your use of it. Did you read the manual? Did you expect it to do things that the manual says it won't ? You truly need to make sure you are not at fault before slamming a company.

BTW you told us you got the camera wet, we didn't assume.
    I use the exact handlebar mount you speak of on my 31.8mm bars with out issue. See
    https://youtu.be/FtgrbeLFNRY

Um, btw, it was only the second camera. So keep trolling. You know that it was only the second camera that got wet. This still does not explain the first one and latest one. Why did the other two fail? Yhey didn't get wet. That is for sure. And the only excuse gopro could pull out of its butt is yhat I use the in the sun and the cold too much? And burrying nonsense about not being able to use the camera outside in the heat or cold, which it what outside tends to be like, either hot or cold much of the time, in the instruction manual just so that you can refer to it if someone uses the camera outside as an action camera should be able to be used is sleezy as it gets. If there is such a limitation on their products it should be made known BEFORE I buy it. There should be a warning on the site and on the box that a person should not use the camera outside in the heat or cold. And if gopro was an honest company, they would warn people about this BEFORE they buy these products. And there is a reason the do not, because being able to use the camera in the heat and cold is expected as it is an action camera. Imagine if a news reporter were in the middle of canada or iraq and the camera crapped out because it is too cold or too hot. Do you REALLY think that would be a legit excuse for a poorly functioning product? F-k no!

And there still is no excuse for the mount that didn't fit and the customer service that said that it was normal to have a gap between the arch of the mount and the bars.

My phone does fine in these conditions. My fly 6 does fine. The only reason for the gopro to fail is because it is junk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by saildesign View Post
    From page 55 of my manual:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1060898

Maybe an "RTFM" is in order. Or at least watch the LCD display to see what it says now and then.
    How am I to read the manual before I buy it? And why should I have to go hunting through a manual just to find out that a camera is not capable of being used as an action cam even though it is advertised to be used as an action cam?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    And btw. The problems with the cameras were

1st camera started freezing up and turning on by itself. This started in april of last year after a long 20 hour ride. It was not below freezing. It did rain on it but it was in its housing and the camera did not get wet. It just got progessively worse as time went on with more and more anomalies in its behavior. And this odd beavior happened cold or hot. Indoors or out.

The 2nd camera I did rinse the edge of the lens under water, but did dry it out for two weeks in rice. Maybe the problems that occurred after I had been using it for a couple of weeks after drying it out were because of this, maybe they weren't. I do not know.

The 3rd camera I have done nothing to other than use it in the cold and it has had problems freezing on startup twice now.

My fly 6 handles this fine. My phone handles this fine. No excuse for the gopro.

Ride More, Work Less
    This thread just turned spammy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    1.4" is 35.56mm. Plenty big for 31.8mm bars. I have tried to attach images but as the forum requires a drag and drop (why?) to attach images I cannot do that. And there was a gap between the bars and the handle bar.

Which I was told was normal. I don't know how you used this mount like that. I even checked the order. The order was for a 1.4" max diameter mount.

This was gopro's response to the below pics

"Thanks for getting back to me! I was able to look at the pictures and I wasn't able to see a major issue with the mount. Each pole that the mount is used on is going to be a little different, but for all I could see it looked like it was mounted correctly."

That right there, in light of the images I sent, inlcuding the one linked to below, prove something about gopro. They do not give a flying f---- about their customers or products.

Here's a link with proof. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3MFEqsepd3laFJ4RlBfaUVKMmM

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    This thread just turned spammy.
    I guess it should be closed down then because my points about these shoddy products are valid then? *sarcasm*

Ride More, Work Less

Do not buy gopro

I guess it should be closed down then because my points about these shoddy products are valid then? *sarcasm*
    I don't think you've made any valid points and your approach hasn't been balanced. You then start closing out your posts with plugs for another camera. I could be wrong, but it just seems awfully spammy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yeah, I guess I am pushing my "phone" too? It is funny, I have had the thought that perhaps you and some of the others here are part of gopro's PR department and are purposely trying to wreck my argument by distracting from what good points I have shown.

And if you feel my view isn't valid please point out what is wrong with it. Try not to distract from the fact that two of these cameras have failed without me doing anything to them that wouldn't be considered part of the duty of an action cam, and the fact that that mount does not fit and that gopro's response was to say it looked fine.

When you say that I am the problem with these shoddy gopro's it is only natural for me to point out the other products I use in the same conditions that work just fine. I guess I am PR for fly 6 because of this? Bullsh%&!

You can have the mods contact fly 6 and ask.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I thought I should point this out. When you are dealing with people online who are ignoring parts of an argument, notably in this case the part where the facts about the mount and gopro's response are completely ignored, the fact that this is an action cam that apparently can't be used on a bicycle when it is sunny or cold out and that my use of this supposed action cam in this way, this way being the way an action cam is supposed to be used and that it is my fault for not realizing this, is wrong, the part where the fact that two of these cameras have failed under conditions expected for an action cam by distracting with the fact that I rinsed the lens of the second one, and the fact that I am to hunt through the user manual of a product I do not own before buying it to use as such products are supposed to be meant to be used, and the attempt to brand me an advertiser for fly6... These are elements consistent with the obfuscation method. It is a method used by PR people to control dissent and limit the effects of crticism. When you see stuff like this, chances are you are dealing with some company's PR department.

Finally!
    Wow! Nice rant! Funny gow you are calling me a troll but before this started you had all of 10 posts here and start pitching mud at a product that so many here use under the same conditions you are describing with 0 issues. You have mentioned your other camera by name many times now. No wonder people are thinking spam here.
    Now you say you had your gopro on a 20 hour ride. Do you carry 8-10 batteries? Not that I would ever need one but I don't imagine the 20 hr single battery exists. I would for sure take the 20 hr sd card.
    The reason people are dwelling on the lense wetting is 2 fold. 1 did you tell gopro you did this before they replaced it? 2 if you would actually do that, what other crazy crap have you done with it. You sure as hell don't need the manual to know not to do this.
    I suggest you sell it. It's not for you and not worth the anger you are displaying over it. Cut your losses and move on with your life.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I couldn't in good conscience sell it. I did tell them that. And I have already told you how I have treated the cameras and have been very open about it. How many posts I have is irrelevant. I originally came here to find answers to some questions about lights. Nice try at continuing the obfuscation. And barely touch the edge of the lens to some running water is crazy? How does that explain the other two camers which I did nothing to? And as for the 20 hour ride, I just didnt use it the whole time. I only turned it on as need but I do carry several batteries. I figure that should be obvious. And there will never be anything to excuse their behavior toward the mount issues or an action cam they admit cannot handle sunlight or cold, these being normal outdoor conditions.

Ride More, Work Less
    Post a picture of the bar and mount. I'm curious. You now have enough posts that you can attach an image. If you don't want to post on mtbr's servers, use a third party hosting site (imgur, flickr, etc) and link the image with a url and the img tag.

Finally!
    I looked online for a solution to your issue. Have you used the same sd card in all 3 cameras? Is it a good one with high data transfer rate? (as recommended in the owners manual ) Some do not work well in the cold. Considering you have several batteries I am sure you keep them warm for out in the cold??
    Other than you the sd card is the only common element.
    I still doubt it's your camera that is the issue.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Now you say you had your gopro on a 20 hour ride. Do you carry 8-10 batteries? Not that I would ever need one but I don't imagine the 20 hr single battery exists. I would for sure take the 20 hr sd card

If anyone knows where I can get a GoPro battery that will record for 20 hours please share the link - I would love to get some of those
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Finally!
    I guess he left. Incase anyone else has this issue (not the calling out a product due to operator error) I looked into a few snowmobile and ski foruns and it seems most people who have cold temperature issues are using cheap SD cards and getting a better card seems to fix this. Again not Gopros fault people use cheap cards.

Ride More, Work Less
    That is a good tip regarding the card. I doubt there ever was a problem in this case; this whole thread smells like spam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Post a picture of the bar and mount. I'm curious. You now have enough posts that you can attach an image. If you don't want to post on mtbr's servers, use a third party hosting site (imgur, flickr, etc) and link the image with a url and the img tag.
    This has already been done. See post #16.

As for the cards. One was bought from gopro's site, so yeah, go ahead, blame the card. I do not use cheap cards. Nice try at obfuscation again. And this has bee with multiple cards of different sizes. So no, it isn't the card. It is a poorly designed action camera that admittedly cant be used in the cold or sun. And btw, all the cold should do at most is reduce battery life, not cause the camera to freeze and to turn on on its own when indoors. My phone and my tail cam work just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    If anyone knows where I can get a GoPro battery that will record for 20 hours please share the link - I would love to get some of those
    While I have already stated the following, I do believe you can get all night battery backs for the gopro. I will not list any site as I might be spamming if I do *sarcasm*.

"And as for the 20 hour ride, I just didnt use it the whole time. I only turned it on as need but I do carry several batteries. I figure that should be obvious. And there will never be anything to excuse their behavior toward the mount issues or an action cam they admit cannot handle sunlight or cold, these being normal outdoor conditions."

It would be nice if gopro spent as much on quality control and good design as it does on PR defenders like you.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have 6 GoPro's and have taken them all over the place.. .Arkansas, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Missouri...I have even had one mounted on my dashboard of my truck doing a 30 hour timelapse from my drive from Utah to Missouri.. Never had any hardware problems with the cameras - now I do admit that some SD cards do get finicky and not saying you bought or are using cheap cards - just my experience that some of the Sandisk cards I have did create some anomalies.

I have since switched to using Lexar 633x cards which work exceptionally well.

Finally!
    I just looked at your picture of the bar mount. It's not a condom and won't fit like a machined item. You have your shit in a knot over the commets even when people are trying to help you. Maybe you should bend over and push that sucker as deep up your butt as possible. There problem solved! Or would you complain about the fit quality? Your desire to do nothing here but bash Gopro on every level has me thinking spam now too. No solution will ever be good enough for you. You can't even entertain the fact that you may be the issue. Brutal...kids nowadays!

mtbr member
    Have had my gopro 4 for 1.5 years. No problem.
    About 500 gb of footage, no problem. Have dropped it in 4 ft deep water, no problem. Have smashed it into the ground, no problem. Have used it on a 15 mile ride with battery ikon flashing low battery. No problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This has already been done. See post #16.

As for the cards. One was bought from gopro's site, so yeah, go ahead, blame the card. I do not use cheap cards. Nice try at obfuscation again. And this has bee with multiple cards of different sizes. So no, it isn't the card. It is a poorly designed action camera that admittedly cant be used in the cold or sun. And btw, all the cold should do at most is reduce battery life, not cause the camera to freeze and to turn on on its own when indoors. My phone and my tail cam work just fine.
    Not to fan the flames any more, but, the size of the card has nothing to do with the camera freezing up in cold weather and having issues like you explained. I am not 100% sure if you ever mentioned what model gopro you are having so much trouble with but with the newer cameras, especially if you are recording in 4K and the higher frame rates, you need a card capable of handling that. Check this chart (I know, I know, its a gopro link so you're going to say its a scam, or that they just tell you that so you buy their stuff or blah blah blah)...But have a look at it and see if the cards you were using match the camera and recording settings. http://gopro.com/help/articles/Block...Considerations

Also, for your mention of there being no seals on the camera to make it waterproof, Gopro's claim from day 1 has never been a "waterproof camera". The case is the waterproof part. And for the freezing and restarting, did you have the latest software downloaded to the camera?

And for what its worth, Gopro has never paid me a dime to say this, but their cameras have been bulletproof for everything I have thrown at them including mountain biking in all types of weather, motocross racing in all types of weather, hot/cold/rain/snow, its handed it all. And I have had the Hero2, Hero3, Hero3+, and now the Hero4. The only fault I found with gopro so far is their editing software.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    Not to fan the flames any more, but, the size of the card has nothing to do with the camera freezing up in cold weather and having issues like you explained. I am not 100% sure if you ever mentioned what model gopro you are having so much trouble with but with the newer cameras, especially if you are recording in 4K and the higher frame rates, you need a card capable of handling that. Check this chart (I know, I know, its a gopro link so you're going to say its a scam, or that they just tell you that so you buy their stuff or blah blah blah)...But have a look at it and see if the cards you were using match the camera and recording settings. http://gopro.com/help/articles/Block...Considerations

Also, for your mention of there being no seals on the camera to make it waterproof, Gopro's claim from day 1 has never been a "waterproof camera". The case is the waterproof part. And for the freezing and restarting, did you have the latest software downloaded to the camera?

And for what its worth, Gopro has never paid me a dime to say this, but their cameras have been bulletproof for everything I have thrown at them including mountain biking in all types of weather, motocross racing in all types of weather, hot/cold/rain/snow, its handed it all. And I have had the Hero2, Hero3, Hero3+, and now the Hero4. The only fault I found with gopro so far is their editing software.

1) It isnt the card. I already went through the card business. Card was from their site and fit the perameters of the camera.

2) I know that. The 1st one and 3rd one never got wet. I only barely rinsed the edge of the lens of the second one. Still a poor design especially considering that, according to gopro themselves, you cannot use the whole housing in the sunlight. Makes no sense. I ride near irrigation sprinklers so not being able to ride with the full housing in the sun is f-ing retarded. There are plenty of cameras out there that do not have this problem. I am just dumb enough to have bought one that requires a housing to be used safely, but apparently only when it is cloudy or dark out? Who the f--$ thought that sh+- up?

3) The software has always been up to date changing it has never done anything.

All I know is these camera are crap. The first one never should have failed. I did NOTHING to it, and it still failed. It may have been from the sun. Although it was cloudy the day it went haywire, I did ride for about 20 hours before stopping that day. F-ing lame.

mtbr member
    I have owned 8 different GoPro's over the years. The original Hero was pretty awful. But the Hero 2 was fine. I owned 3 of them. I now own 2 H4 blacks and 2 H4 Silvers.

The H2 and H4 have been 100' under the surface. Near freezing conditions. Through loads of crashes. I live in the desert. I have a silver mounted to a ski boat that sits in the sun all day long. I have never had a heat issue.

Now I can see any electronic device struggling with direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time with no air flow.

Maybe you need to change your approach. And start buying them REI if you are so hard on them. 1 year return policy no questions asked.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    1) It isnt the card. I already went through the card business. Card was from their site and fit the perameters of the camera.

2) I know that. The 1st one and 3rd one never got wet. I only barely rinsed the edge of the lens of the second one. Still a poor design especially considering that, according to gopro themselves, you cannot use the whole housing in the sunlight. Makes no sense. I ride near irrigation sprinklers so not being able to ride with the full housing in the sun is f-ing retarded. There are plenty of cameras out there that do not have this problem. I am just dumb enough to have bought one that requires a housing to be used safely, but apparently only when it is cloudy or dark out? Who the f--$ thought that sh+- up?

3) The software has always been up to date changing it has never done anything.

All I know is these camera are crap. The first one never should have failed. I did NOTHING to it, and it still failed. It may have been from the sun. Although it was cloudy the day it went haywire, I did ride for about 20 hours before stopping that day. F-ing lame.
    The editing software is really bad. I just grab all the files and edit them in Final Cut.
    As for the camera, I own a GoPro 3+ Silver Edition. Once I got a problem when turning on the camera it just kept restarting. I updated the firmware and did a format on the card and the problem got solved.
    For the waterproof part, I use my GoPro for riding, skiing and when I'm on vacation in the beach.
    I always use the waterproof case no matter the situation because of the extra protection. When I'm skiing, sometimes I get negative temperatures and never had a problem with that. I did some movies underwater in last year vacations and it was ok. The camera is working good.
    KTM ULTRA 1964 - Strava

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Riding on a bike with plenty of air flow is hard on them? Lame. That is lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    I have owned 8 different GoPro's over the years. The original Hero was pretty awful. But the Hero 2 was fine. I owned 3 of them. I now own 2 H4 blacks and 2 H4 Silvers.

The H2 and H4 have been 100' under the surface. Near freezing conditions. Through loads of crashes. I live in the desert. I have a silver mounted to a ski boat that sits in the sun all day long. I have never had a heat issue.

Now I can see any electronic device struggling with direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time with no air flow.

Maybe you need to change your approach. And start buying them REI if you are so hard on them. 1 year return policy no questions asked.

Ride More, Work Less
    Riding on a bike with plenty of air flow is hard on them? Lame. That is lame.
    His statement was a piece of electronic encased in a waterproof/airtight plastic shell could be potentially hard on the camera.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    His statement was a piece of electronic encased in a waterproof/airtight plastic shell could be potentially hard on the camera.
    I think we get the OP gist - He hates GoPro. Ok point has been made. If you don't like GoPro, don't buy GoPro. Everyone's experience with products differ and it is always great to have an honest review but this thread I believe has gone past just a review but really into just bashing a product that the huge majority of people use and have little or no real issues with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    "Now I can see any electronic device struggling with direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time with no air flow."

That was his statement. Buy why would a device that needs airflow only be designed to be water proof with a case thay prevents airflow? That is just plain bad design. If that is the case, the camera itself should have been seald so that the case would only be necessary a depths sufficient to reduce sun damage.

And no, this isn't just bashing, this is me defending my stance.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    "Now I can see any electronic device struggling with direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time with no air flow."

That was his statement. Buy why would a device that needs airflow only be designed to be water proof with a case thay prevents airflow? That is just plain bad design. If that is the case, the camera itself should have been seald so that the case would only be necessary a depths sufficient to reduce sun damage.

And no, this isn't just bashing, this is me defending my stance.
    Again, the huge majority of GoPro users have had little or no issues with the cameras and the constant arguing back and forth doesn't really help your argument. I am sure there are a few cameras that slip out of manufacturer's specifications by defects and that is what the warranty is for.

If the camera doesn't perform to your specifications, then by all means don't use it. There are other action camera competitors that you can choose from that may meet your criteria more aptly than GoPro but this whole thread has been flame bait since it started.

Finally!
    This whole thread is just a smear campaign against Gopro. The Op is not looking for help and is replying solely to bash Gopro and will not accept any advice or the fact that the camera might bot be the issue. Now that is truly "lame"

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    The only advice given has been to not use the camera with the waterproof case in the sun and to keep the camera on my body the cold, both which would render the camera useless. The firmware, mem card issues have already been dealt with MANY times now. It was not the card nor the firmware that caused this.

The original purpose of this thread was to keep others from wasting their money on something that simply does not perform. Even according to gopro this camera cannot be used in cold without being on a person body, or in the sun with the waterproof case, a case which is necessary to protect the camera. When the company itself makes such ridiculous claims as to the performance requirements of a camera it is obviously a rip off. The apparent fact that using it in the cold or sun so damages it that it automatically turns itself on indoors and and has freeze up issues even when not in these conditions is ridiculous.

Your gopro apoligetics will never get past that. And I am not the only one with these problems.

I found this review for another camera while searching for a new camera

"01/01/2014
    Why do people buy anything else?

Purchased this after having to send back a Hero3+ Black several times because of battery and heat issues. The company I am at films B-roll footage of roller coasters and theme park rides, and we've been using exclusively GoPro cameras (personally purchased) since 2011. However, when we had problems with the Hero3s, I suggested we try another brand. I purchased the xxxxxx, and the boss was so impressed with the footage I got that he's purchasing several for himself and is suggesting that other employees purchase them as well. The flat design is fantastic for mounting, and the rotating lens allows for a perfectly oriented image, even on strange surfaces. The footage itself is very sharp with accurate colors. There is some slight distortion and noise when used at 1080p/30fps, but is fixed when filmed at 60fps. The only problem so far is that the buttons are hard to push and the interface is a little clunky, but having a small screen is very limiting. Initial setup takes awhile, but once everything is set, the camera is absolutely incredible. Haven't had a chance to use the timelapse feature yet, but the individual pictures are pretty good, not as good as a true camera (that's expected of course). The remote pairs quickly and is quite intuitive with color coded LEDs to display the camera's mode. Overall, a very good camera and a strong competitor to the GoPro lineup, only hampered by its difficult controls.

Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
    Rob the Theme Park Guy

San Diego, CA"

I crossed out the opposing products name lest you think it spam. I am still pretty convincednthat some of you are gopro PR. Repeatedly you speak of advice, when I have recieved no advice that hasn't been tried already, other than simply not using the camera outdoors without the case or in the cold, pretty much rendering the camera completely useless. If only they would actually design their garbage right they wouldnt need to waste money on rep repair.

mtbr member
    The Video God's, just don't love you. Accept it and move on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/...t?ie=UTF8&s=sd

Wow, I should have done my homework. 24% 1 star rating for the 3+ black? That is insane. 37% gave it 3 stars or less.

"Helpful
    Not Helpful
    Buyer BEWARE, evidence is everywhere online!
    ByJeff Tomlinsonon February 21, 2016
    Was given this camera for Christmas (2014) and have had problems from day one, mostly freezing issues requiring the hard reset method and restoring all my preferences. On two separate occasions I've had it far into the back country and was unable to get it to start at all, rendering the whole purpose for taking it with me, useless. I took it skiing Friday, surprise! cannot get it to start and now it's completely unresponsive no matter what I do. I have been all over the web and it's painfully clear that GoPro has a serious issue with this camera, in as much that in my opinion it should have never been released to the public. EVER. I've contacted support (again!), but now that the warranty is over I'm sure I'll either get no response, a less than half-sincere apology, or maybe even an offer to buy a new one at a discount. If a miracle happens I'll be happy to update my review because I really want to love this thing, but I'm not betting on it, in fact the only thing I'm betting on is my next camera will NOT be a GoPro.
    Read less"

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    This guy had similar issues to mine "Buy a different brand.....
    Bypw arminon November 27, 2015
    Junk. Used it a few times, then it started locking up. Had to remove the battery to reset. Eventually that didn't work either. Tried to update the software....no joy. A bunch of time wasted on chat, only to tell me to "change the card".
    When it worked, the quality was fine. It isn't a stable platform, and they aren't doing a good job supporting it."

"over product problems and think spin is the bes
    Byfixentoon September 14, 2015
    Don't buy it, it has major problems with anything over 39 frames, their service is slow under the excuse they are busy, of course their busy, they have a defective product and will not resolve it with their customers. In fact you may look for alternative cameras that have same options but a third of the price. Another American company that will be out of business because they are in denial over product problems and think spin is the best way to handle them"

"Buyer Beware: Great Optics, Shoddy Electronics
    ByAshleyon July 30, 2015
    I purchased this product for bicycle commuting. It is a shame GoPro is still selling this product. I have experienced constant issues of the camera freezing and corrupted memory cards. I have tried dozens of complicated workarounds per GoPro's instructions. Unfortunately, I am now beyond the warranty date and cannot replace this defective product. Read the reviews and do an internet search. There is a reason this camera has so many one star reviews (24% as of the time I wrote this). These are known issues, yet GoPro continues to sell this faulty product. The video quality is great when you can actually get the camera electronics to function properly. The camera has worked properly maybe 25% of the time at best. Do not waste $350 on this brick."

"You probably won't be happy if you buy one of these.
    ByJason Jorgensenon June 14, 2015
    Verified Purchase
    I bought this camera about two years ago. I went almost this entire time not using it because the battery life was absolutely pathetic. I was a bit disappointed after spending well over $100 for attachments, skeleton cases, suction cups, etc... that the thing couldn't even manage to record an hour of video. Fast forward to here recently. I decided after a couple near miss accidents that I should set the GoPro up as a dash cam. Bad idea... to do so, I either needed to hook it up to an external source of power, or put a Battery Bac Pac on it to be able to record my full commute that could take around 30-40 minutes each way. After spending yet MORE money on overpriced GoPro accessories, I have discovered that I can't record my full commute because the unit overheats (even in the skeleton case). It get SO hot, that it actually gave me a burn after it shut down... not even joking. I'll take an IR temp reading of it and update this review with my findings.

The video is nice.... however, it's just simply not a practically usable item. Buy this camera if you want to pay a fortune for accessories just to have to work around it's poor operating constraints.

My setup:

GoPro Hero3 Black Edition recording 1080p@60fps to a SanDisk Ultra 32GB Micro SDHC Class 10 card.
    GoPro Brand skeleton case and GoPro brand Battery Bac Pac to augment a GoPro brand battery.

I didn't cut corners and get non GoPro items, so brand "incompatibility" is not an excuse."

"Bad product AND bad customer care!
    ByDavid Paddockon April 14, 2015
    Terribly disappointed in my GoPro.

Chalk another poor review up to an unknown SD card reader problem and poor customer care. My camera's SD card reader died during a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Thailand and I was unable to use the camera at all. I tried working through GoPro's customer service to try all their "diagnostic" techniques (i.e. try a different card, turn the camera off and on again, etc.). Since my camera is slightly over a year old (with probably less than 4 hours of total recording time) GoPro was unwilling to check the device or provide any warranty service, leaving me with a $400 paperweight. They were "kind" enough to offer me a 20% discount if I bought a product through their online store (which seems to be 10% more expensive than anywhere else...), but with the level of customer service I got, there is no way that I would invest my money like that again. Stay away, find a similar product somewhere else for a fraction of the cost!"

The tactic above is seen over and over again in review. Sell people crap and then sell them more crap while giving them the hope it will work properly. That is a fuc---- con game there.

Yeah, lots of happy customers. I wonder how many 4 and 5 star reviews are paid.

Here's another happy customer

"My problem has not been much with the main camera (although it sucks batteries down so fast it is almost unusable)
    ByCharles Savallon January 28, 2015
    I'd give this less than 1 star if I could. What a nightmarish piece of junk !! I can't believe GoPro sold these units with all the issues. My problem has not been much with the main camera (although it sucks batteries down so fast it is almost unusable), but with the BacPac batteries. When I install the BacPac, the camera won't turn on no matter what. The only work around is to unplug the battery, turn camera off, turn camera on, reinstall BacPac with camera on, then don't turn it off. Kinda inconvenient when it's mounted in a housing on my helmet and I am actually doing something. Worked with GoPro for about 4 months on fixing this, they sent me a new camera, 2 new main batteries, 5 new BacPac batteries, nothing fixed the problem. This is just the way this camera works, and GoPro would rather keep sending you new junk than admit there is a problem. The only resolution was for them to "allow" me to buy a new Hero 4 Black for 40% off. I did this thinking they would send me my Hero 3 that I sent them, again, to repair, but they would not return my old camera. So stupidly I bought a new Hero 4 on the offered discount. I am now out $900 for 2 new cameras, and all I have is a Hero 4 now. Guess what, it doesn't work either !! Similar but different problem. When I attach a brand new BacPac battery, then turn the camera off, it turns itself back on, all by itself. I can not turn the camera off without removing all the batteries. Called them AGAIN, told they won't refund any money on this BRAND NEW CAMERA, their reasoning is that this is NORMAL for the Hero 4. Really, NORMAL? A camera that can't be turned off ?? !! Tried MANY times to work this issue up the customer support ladder, no luck at all. I've had about 6 GoPro cameras now, but the new ones are just total junk. Read the other comments, the glitches are many in these cameras. When they work, they are awesome, but I've had more potential great videos ruined by these things when they shut themselves off, run out of juice, or destroy a file. Pretty obvious they put these things out without enough testing or quality control."

Ride More, Work Less
    ^ Hopefully you know that amazon reviews as popular as mtbr to troll. You can filter the reviews to include only verified purchases. That drops out ~2/3 of the negative reviews. Of the remaining negative reviews, there are some good points being raised as well as some that clearly indicate operator error.

As for the gopro 3 black, that's what I have. Sorry that you had issues. It's time to move on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Here's another

"What a disastrous product!
    ByHafornon April 14, 2014
    I am a professional photographer and videographer. This is the worst piece of equipment that I have ever used. Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it doesn't. Currently we have one (Three currently under trial, one has bricked, one works intermittently) that generates a "No SD" error - it can't recognise the card. Support is less than useless. "Do a firmware upgrade" -how do I do this if it can't recognise the card? "Try a different card". I have tried 14 different cards - all of which are recognised by both PC and MAC but none by the Hero 3. "Send it back to us" - to the US? From GB? How long will that take? At my expense? When this product works it it very good BUT it is unreliable; it might work, it might not. I just can't take a piece of equipment into the field that might not work - this product was not mature enough to go to market, and the manufacturers are firefighting trying to solve all of the problems. In doing so, they have created a lot of unhappy customers, and I can't recommend to my company that we buy cameras that are so fickle and unreliable."

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Verified

"The camera does not turn on again
    Bycesar augustoon December 2, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    The camera does not want to turn on again..I was able to use it for 1 month and then it did not turn on anymore.
    I already sent a email to GOPRO!!"

Ride More, Work Less
    My review of this thread - classic case of confirmation bias

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Good luck in the future

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yeah, 24% 1 star review and confirmation bias. You gpro PR reps are getting weak.

Here is some more verified reviews

", not I'd maybe do more research for other options.
    ByEric Russellon December 2, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    So far I've been very disappointed in this product. For the price, the pictures have been decent. However, there have been several problems with it. I bought this product to go to Australia for pictures when I scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef (only time I should ever been there). I tried to take a video while in the Sky Tower in Sydney. Evidently, this prompts the camera to corrupt the SD drive (Samsung Electronics 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MGCGB/AM) was what I have). So I lost 5 days of pictures that I took around Sydney. The WiFi button is evidently as easy to push to turn on the WiFi as 1 + 1 = 2 is to remember. On the morning my journey to the Great Barrier Reef, I checked to make sure I had full battery (I did). Then, I put the camera in its water proof casing and into my pocket. From there to the Great Barrier Reef (about 3 hours), the WiFi button must have been breathed on and turned it on for the camera. During that brief three hours (or less depending on when the wifi got turned on), this caused the battery to completely die. I could not even take any pictures of the reef. Highly disappointed in what seems to be a widely used camera."

"GLITCH CITY - AN INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING PRODUCT
    ByWestwood Village Reviewson November 20, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    This is easily one of the most frustrating products I have ever purchased. I bought it after seeing the terrific story about the Go Pro on 60 Minutes. I was so anxious to get it that I immediately ran right to my computer and placed the order.
    Now, I feel like a little kid who orders a decoder ring and discovers it's a rip-off. This camera is, for me, a nightmare. At the same time, I imagine it would be spectacular IF I can get one that works.

Here are the issues I encountered (I will keep trying with this and will revise my review if I can get camera working.)

1) PACKAGING: The packaging looks terrific. Getting the camera OUT of the packaging and then removing it from the waterproof case took me more than half an hour - EVEN with reading the instructions. By the way, I have rarely encountered a product where you had to read separate instructions on how to unpack it.

2) TESTING: After fully charging the camera I inserted a micro SD card and recorded two 11 second test sequences. I played them back on my computer and they looked good.

3) IMMEDIATE CAMERA FAILURE: As soon as I placed the Micro SD card back in the camera I got a "NO SD" card message. I tried a second card and got the same message.

This is very expensive product that should be fantastic and easy to use. However, I do not experience it as something that is ready for regular customer use because,
    1) Numerous customers are reporting technical glitches (note the number of one star reviews!)

2) Is there anyone (other than a high tech pro) out there who wants to pay more than $300 for a camera with so many problems and such a high "glitch" frequency?

3) Yes, I know I can return it. But I was so confident this product would work that I tossed the packaging and now have to repackage, etc.

Again, I will be glad to revise or delete my comment if it turns out I am mistaken.

Meanwhile, I am looking at a potentially fantastic camera whose only working function is to tell me that there is "NO SD" card in the camera when there IS one.

UPDATE Nov. 24, 2013. The difficulties continue. It takes the Jaws of Life to open the water proof housing THE RIGHT way. After long work on opening it I finally had to have an engineer friend file a few microns off one of the latches and add WD-40 in order to open and close the housing. This is a clear failure in the quality control department. I am astonished that GoPro would send out so many of these that are so poorly machined."

"gopro hero 3 problems
    Byglen dorbandon November 17, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    Unit worked for 20 seconds and froze. Could not reset. Returned the unit. Very cheaply built and the software is the main problem."

"Does not work
    BySandro Sandrinion October 28, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    The Mode button (Power) of my Gopro does not work. To turn on or off I need to take the battery out. What to do? I need to the return"

"Consider Carefully - Very Poor Battery Life
    ByPhillipon October 18, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    First of all, the video quality of this camera is amazing! With that alone, I would give it 4 stars - 5 stars if there wasn't as much of a fisheye effect. Overall, I am very impressed with how clear the video footage is considering the size of this camera. However, the battery life is very poor. In all fairness, I must say that I have contacted GoPro directly and am waiting for a response. On average, I am experiencing 10 to 15 minutes of video recording time before the battery dies. As you would guess, this is totally unacceptable. Because of the poor battery life, I am finding that my desire to use it is diminishing. The recording setting is 1080-60. Even when I was using the camera setting, the battery life was nowhere near an hour - 30 to 45 minutes worth of pictures was all I experienced at 1 picture per 60 seconds. I respectfully reserve the opportunity for a follow-up comment once I hear back from tech support with a resolution regarding the battery life."

"Faulty Product
    ByMatthew Hayon October 4, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    It was faulty. Would cut out, stop filming and occasionally not turn on at all. Disappointing from a brand I respect and like a lot."

"All the standard issues you see everywhere fixed by the Hero 3+ ??
    ByAmazon Customeron October 2, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    I've had the Hero3 black edition for just a few days over a month when the Hero 3+ hits the market with supposedly all the fixes that the Hero3 needed, especially battery issues, which I've had as well as the random locks. I contacted GoPro this morning and asked if there was any relief, incentive, trade-in, discount, etc. for the Hero3 against the Hero 3+, especially since I've had it only a few days over the 30 day return period. The GoPro guy I talked to, Carter?, said 'Nope, our policy is only for returns in the 30 day period after purchase and there's nothing we can do'.
    The Hero3 I have is a buggy POS compared to the Hero and Hero2's I used for years. I figured GoPro would work out the kinks and get it working.....well, maybe they did, by adding a + to the name and telling all of us Hero3 users to bite it!! I think maybe this company has got too big for its britches and needs to be knocked down a notch or two.
    MT
    PS...I'm 60 years old and have been in the computer and digital imaging industry for close to 40 years so it's not a matter of not knowing how to use this item. All firmware updates were done to the Hero3."

"Nor ready for market
    ByTBon September 16, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    Sadly, for this is conceptually a fabulous idea, it's not ready for market. It's just not well executed, nor thought through. If you're used to Apple products, you're in for a rude shock. For example, even the packaging is hard to undo. The camera in that little clear box is wired down inside; looks good, but hard to use, and therein is the whole problem with the GP Hero 3. Myriad problems and lacking attention to detail: here's one example - the camera has tiny little covers that are not attached. You'll loose them in minutes. And this is for a camera intended for use in the outdoors. But I could deal with that - the real problem is it simply does not work reliably. What a shame! Customer support just gave up.

Some people have success. i wish it worked. If you're prepared to put hours in here, best of luck. With about a third of reviews saying this is junk, buyer beware. I understand there are some competitor products coming through. Hopefully there's a decent alternative soon and you can get a product of this type, without all the disappointment of GoPro.
    Read less"

"People say Great Product, If you can get it to function - I WOULDNT KNOW BAD PURCHASE!!!
    ByJ.R. Nunezon August 27, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    I was very skeptical seeing almost a 50/50 split of great reviews compared to bad reviews for the GoPro. I did my research and the GoPro seems to be the camera that should work for me. I thought, or hoped is the better word, that all these problems would be resolved with the latest update, which is why I held off so long from purchasing till GoPro got their act together. So much for that logic.

2 weeks and Ive had nothing but problems with it-- which coincidentally coincides with many other reviews.
    My problem was the power factor. I "wanted" to update it fresh out the box...I tried to update it fresh out the box...but the darn thing wouldnt hold a charge for anything. And it takes forever to charge. Either a bad cable, or a bad battery or a bad device. I kept it on all night only to get 1 bar on the battery display, then tried to manually update it, because many people have said its better to manually update.

Well, battery wasnt charged enough to make it through that attempt. Next I have to wait a whole other night of charging to find the thing wont even come on. And thats been my problem ever since - sometimes it powers on and sometimes it wont. Even if I would remove the battery, then reinsert it, it would not turn on many times. Im an electrician in training, and this is simply a design flaw.

If a company releases a product before it has perfected the simplest things - like power flow....one has to question the choice of manufacturing companies it went with to make it, especially when you have half your customers complaining about the product.

Thank you gopro for wasting 2 weeks out of my time with an unreliable product, after waiting 2 months of hoping youd finally solve your manufacturing issues.
    Youve just lost a customer for life because you can never give me back the 2 weeks Ive lost in trying to deal with this defective thing.
    And to the many that are thinking about purchasing this item, know its a 50/50 gamble--you might get one that works...but still you have to deal with the fact that the camera has a power design flaw that it cant keep a charge for a long period of time. Come on, who ever heard of a camera battling to last an hour...this is simply an overly ambitious company having not mastered the production line yet. So they are making the first wave of customers its guinea pig. Well, Im not spending $600 to be someones guinea pig.

The only good thing about this was that Amazon has proven itself again, with its refund process.
    Trying to deal with these GoPro people -- why bother.
    I was going to make a video showing exactly how the camera was not even turning on, and all the other problems I had with it, but Im not going to waste further time helping this greedy company who released a product out way too fast, especially when they already know the problems they are having...and apparently havent efforted enough to truly resolved it.

Great company strategy GoPro."

And it just goes on and on and on. I guess these people all have confirmation bias too, eh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Here's more

"expensive paper weight
    ByTonoon August 20, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    So I thought I was immune to the issues reported in the bad reviews.
    This camera seems to be a piece of crap... freezing while taking videos and now, tried to connect it to the TV and now I have a non-working gopro. All this after just a few months of use and now out of warranty.
    I have been trying everything to bring it back from death but it doesn't look like very promising.
    Now I have a bunch of accessories and no camera.
    Nice business.
    Do not buy it.
    Why would you want a camera that takes AWESOME quality videos but dies in just a few months? Think about it."

"It could've been a great camera
    Byvictoron August 6, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    But this crap is so unreliable. Camera software hangs with battery change or just with no reason at all. Plus it consumes charge like crazy by just being on. It heats up too much in standby mode dies in the moment you need it most. And yes I've installed the recommended upgrade. I missed a lot of great stuff under water when you CAN'T get the battery out for the camera reset. Please save yourself the aggravation and get the HERO2.
    8 people found this helpful"

"Lasted 10 minutes before it totally died; second unit also totally useless
    ByJ. Stewarton July 29, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    Got it for Father's Day/belated birthday. Tested it for 10 minutes out by/in the pool. Worked okay. Went to prep it for our first real trip use and it's totally dead even after trying 3 different freshly charged batteries. I had stalled on getting this since last Christmas because of all the reported problems but finally pulled the trigger. Seems like quality control is still a major problem. Next up, let's see how good the customer service is. Will revise the review if they step up and promptly fix and the replacement doesn't have similar issues.

As for my experience from the 10 minutes of use... The video was very good. Way more trouble to port the video than my previous cameras though. And the link to the iPhone app was pretty sucky. Major lag and it kept losing the connection even when the camera and phone were only a couple feet apart.

UPDATE 12/28/2013:

So it took pretty much the whole summer to get my replacement Hero3 after GoPro was finally satisfied the first has a hardware problem. Which was doubly annoying because the only uses I have for it is during the my summer and winter activities and by the time winter rolled around I could have just gotten a Hero3+ instead.

I briefly tested the replacement Hero3 when GoPro sent it but couldn't do any real world test since Summer activities were done. Finally got around to wanting to use it for winter activities this week. Brought it out - it have only been used for a few minutes in my kitchen - and it is almost totally useless. Most of the time it won't turn on at all, whether using a battery or plugging it into the computer to feed power from USB. I now have 4 batteries - two from GoPro and two from the most popular third party sold by Amazon (which most reviewers say are better than GoPro's). Those also came with an external charger. None of the 4 batteries, whether charged from within the camera via USB or in the wall charger, work 99% of the time. After playing around with it for about 40 minutes I finally got it to briefly turn on. I could never get any of 3 different laptops, 2 Macs and one Windows PC, to ever recognize the device when plugged into USB so I couldn't check the firmware version but they sent it back to me 2 months after the most recent update. Once I did get it working by the way it wouldn't turn off. And the menus worked randomly - sometimes it would acknowledge a button push and sometimes it wouldn't. It was basically a total hot mess. And this was the replacement of the one that was totally dead after one test use.

This is now the worst major consumer product I can recall owning. 0-for-2. And its unreliability keeps ruining efforts to record action activities. And not only did I waste $400 for it, but I bought a bunch of accessories too and of which is a total waste at this point because the product is useless. Should I waste about 2-3 months waiting for yet a third unit from GoPro and after hours of effort risk ruining the document of another activity?"

"very frustrating
    ByAmazon Customeron July 9, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    the hero 3 is not comparable to the 2, where the 2 had no problems, it just worked. the 3 is a bundle of problems, even after the upgrade it still jams when scrolling through the menu's, it starts up on its own, unpredictable battery life, the backpack batteries need 18 hours to recharge...my advise: stick to the 2, the difference in picture quality is not worth the frustrations..."

"Working brick?
    ByKim Weissbrodton June 30, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    Total bummer. Nothing in the exceptional list of awesome functions worked on my camera. 50 times at the upgrade, 50 times it said it was upgrading, after 15 minutes it was at the same spot. Thanks to all the reviewers that found work arounds to the weird and strange upgrade process, it just didn't work for me. All the info out there, it almost seems some of these cameras shouldn't even have left where ever they were made, firmware that doesn't upgrade is not a business plan. I would rate it none stars really."

"Do not buy Hero 3 Dive Housing, Possible Design Issue, Go Pro will not support or replace camera
    ByScuba Steveon June 26, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    DO NOT BUY THE GO PRO HERO 3 CAMERA. IT WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED BY MANUFACTURER, POSSIBLE DESIGN ISSUE! (Tag Line For Internet Postings)

I recently bought the HERO 3 after loving my original camera. I've taken the prior one on over 100 dives. After a weeks worth of pictures and video in Borneo the water housing failed on the new camera on my 2nd dive at 10meters. I lost everything. I called Go Pro up and the guy was sympathetic and promised to send me an RMA. I waited four weeks and when it did not come I called again. The new guy (below) asked me to get in my bathtub and try to recreate the leak. Since I'm a degreed GE Engineer I tried to explain to him that this made no scientific sense. There were far too many variables per consumer and due to the small amount of leakage I doubted you would be able to see where it was coming from. It make far more sense for the manufacturer to do it in their lab and offerred to send it back on my own. He kept going back to the bathtub experiment and then I told him I was done and would just reverse the charges and do as I am doing now. Informing consumers that there is obviously a systematic issue with these housings by the way they are reacting. Why wouldn't you support one of your top consumers unless you were losing money. I take the camera to places where people have never seen it before. Anyway, after 15 minutes the Cooper guy said I didn't need to do that and we could work it out. Then he went silent for 4 minutes and then came back with this:

Hi Sean,

Sorry to hear about the damage to your camera due to leakage of the housing.

Per our warranty policy, we don't normally cover leakage under warranty due to the difficulty in knowing whether it was user error or not that caused the leak. Most of the time leakage is caused by the user not maintaining a proper seal by keeping the seal area clean and free of dirt/debris. If the leakage was caused by a manufacturing defect of the housing, we'd definitely take care of it under warranty.

Did you notice how or where the water entered the housing? Could you please repsond with pictures of any indication of how the housing leaked?

Many Thanks,
    Cooper M.
    GoPro Support
    http://www.gopro.com/support
    -----------------------------------------------
    You'd think that after losing the photos and videos after your trip of a lifetime that would be throwing an RMA at you.
    Read less"

"Do not buy this camera
    Bynbon June 19, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    The unit I bought kept freezing, requiring a battery removal every once in a while, which is unacceptable. Gladly I was not diving...
    A lot of action was lost because the camera would freeze and no video was recorded. If you buy this camera, be ready to spend a lot of time fixing it.

Read the reviews on Amazon and search online for all the problems people are having with this camera and they are all true.

If you have to rely on firmware updates that need to be executed in a series of ritualistic steps, and then the camera might or might not work, this can only mean this is a terrible product.

I will never buy a Gopro camera again.

Do not waste your money on this camera!
    Read less"

You should be ashamed running PR for a company this sorry.

Finally!
    I have a feeling the OP is 13-15.
    Good luck with your GoPro. Thanks for the entertainment!

mtbr member
    Why don't you contact the company and ask for a refund ?. If they refuse, contact your local consumer council and open a case with them. If you have a strong chance of getting a refund and possibly compensation, they will tell you so. Regardless of your chances, the lawyer will contact the company. Sometimes, companies will give you blind refunds just to keep you happy if you've gone through your local consumer council and presented a decent case. Goodluck

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Here I have been using these cameras for 6 years and going and didn't realize they were of such poor quality. I need to go back to using the old Kodak point and shoot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Here I have been using these cameras for 6 years and going and didn't realize they were of such poor quality. I need to go back to using the old Kodak point and shoot.
    As with all products, there will always be disgruntled consumers. It is inevitable there will be defective units, some bad marketing, user error but the biggest factor is human expectation levels generally fit a bell curve where some people will never be satisfied with what they have whilst the rest sit somewhere in the range content to overjoyed.

I've had issues with Canon lenses and had to go to small claims court to get my $ back. My message to the OP is simply to handle it in the same way.

mtbr member
    FWIW, the Hero 3+ apparently had some major issues that made it a crappy camera, but they were resolved in the 4. I've had two Hero 2s and one Hero 4 Black, and I've never had any issues- small or significant- with mine. Hell, GoPro even gave me 50% off on one after I tried a warranty claim on a Hero 2 that I admittedly destroyed by accidentally submerging in water. But, it's good to know that copy-pasted Amazon reviews have laid bare just how wrong my opinions are.

Finally!
    Funny you post all the bad reviews but the camera has a near 5 star rating in both Canada and the US
    Name:  gopro1.png
Views: 197
Size:  52.9 KB
    Name:  gopro2.png
Views: 191
Size:  27.2 KB

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by PantslessWithWolves View Post
    FWIW, the Hero 3+ apparently had some major issues that made it a crappy camera, but they were resolved in the 4. I've had two Hero 2s and one Hero 4 Black, and I've never had any issues- small or significant- with mine. Hell, GoPro even gave me 50% off on one after I tried a warranty claim on a Hero 2 that I admittedly destroyed by accidentally submerging in water. But, it's good to know that copy-pasted Amazon reviews have laid bare just how wrong my opinions are.
    I have 3 - Hero 3+ Silvers and I have had no real issues with them - in fact, they work just as well as my Hero 3 Black (especially on battery life) but like you said not every camera is exactly the same and there are bad eggs in every bunch no matter who is making them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    mines kicking butt. i use my bowhunting mostly since my mtn bike rides look super boring to me.

bowhunting is pretty brutal on my gear. no issues thusfar.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is there any way we can get a moderator or someone to close this thread? This has gotten ridiculous. We all can read reviews on our own, we don't need a full thread of reviews being copied/pasted here and told that we are all working for GoPro. I think what you fail to realize is that GoPro had absolutely DOMINATED this market for a long time so they obviously have a monopoly on the action sports camera market. Quick, show of hands, how many people when I say "action sports camera" immediately think GoPro? See what I'm saying here? There are plenty of others out there now and you can feel free to try them as you see fit but coming on a public form and just tearing them apart because YOU had a problem with a product that a vast majority use problem free seems very childish, especially when people have rationally offered help/suggestions and you just brush them aside and continue to bash them. You've made your point and we have TRIED to make ours (not that they really mattered to you anyway) so can we all just move on?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a 3+Black. Works great. MTB/Cross with chesty, helmet, handlebar mounts. Handheld mount on short and long pole.

It has been strapped to the front of a race car and taken tons of gravel kickup. Keeps working. Great coverage.

Snowboarding and Skiing were fun with it. Though the battery life in the cold wasn't anything to brag about.

It has been wrecked, smashed, and drown. It still works.

Compared to the sony action cam my buddy has, it kills it. Video quality is not even fair, plus the amount of mounting options and 3rd party support is better too.

Only thing I don't like is the menu system and lack of a viewfinder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Funny you post all the bad reviews but the camera has a near 5 star rating in both Canada and the US
    Name:  gopro1.png
Views: 197
Size:  52.9 KB
    Name:  gopro2.png
Views: 191
Size:  27.2 KB

That isnt even the same camera. You PR people are getting lame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Is there any way we can get a moderator or someone to close this thread? This has gotten ridiculous. We all can read reviews on our own, we don't need a full thread of reviews being copied/pasted here and told that we are all working for GoPro. I think what you fail to realize is that GoPro had absolutely DOMINATED this market for a long time so they obviously have a monopoly on the action sports camera market. Quick, show of hands, how many people when I say "action sports camera" immediately think GoPro? See what I'm saying here? There are plenty of others out there now and you can feel free to try them as you see fit but coming on a public form and just tearing them apart because YOU had a problem with a product that a vast majority use problem free seems very childish, especially when people have rationally offered help/suggestions and you just brush them aside and continue to bash them. You've made your point and we have TRIED to make ours (not that they really mattered to you anyway) so can we all just move on?
    1) If you wanted to move on you wouldn't have trolled me to respond.

2) Having a quarter of your customers give a 1 star rating is appalling no matter how you paint it.

3) Last I read they only have 14% of the market. The only thing they dominate is marketing.

4) There have been no suggestion to make the camera work as it should, in the sun with the case and without the freezing issues, and in the cold without the freezing issues, cold should only effect battey life, not any other functioning of the camera. You present your stance as more than it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    1) If you wanted to move on you wouldn't have trolled me to respond.

2) Having a quarter of your customers give a 1 star rating is appalling no matter how you paint it.

3) Last I read they only have 14% of the market. The only thing they dominate is marketing.

4) There have been no suggestion to make the camera work as it should, in the sun with the case and without the freezing issues, and in the cold without the freezing issues, cold should only effect battey life, not any other functioning of the camera. You present your stance as more than it is.
    First, calling me a troll would be the pot calling the kettle black but I won't get into that.

Second, studies show that only between 0.5-3% of people leave product reviews and that as many as 30% of reviews are fraudulent or come from people who have not even purchased the item they are reviewing. Also worth mentioning is that a much larger percentage of people are more likely to leave a review after having a bad experience so the negative reviews are not totally representative of real world experiences as far as I'm concerned. You need to take reviews with a grain of salt and keep that in mind. Think about it, you came on here to post how bad your experience was. Would you do the same if they worked flawlessly and you had no issues?

Third, I dont know how accurate this is but as of August 2015 Gopro had 47.5% market-share and the next closest competitor has 12% so I'm not sure where you got the 14% figure from. GoPro?s Market Shares and Earnings Trend - Market Realist

Exactly what model Gopro did you have all the problems with? You said the Hero4 Silver wasn't the same camera so which one did you have?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Op is 12 years old.

Ride More, Work Less
    Suggestion: Report the thread and move on. OP is trolling whether he knows it or not. Let's just move forward.

Finally!
    Quote Originally Posted by boomslang64 View Post
    Op is 12 years old.
    I said 13-15 ;-)

mtbr member
    After reading this thread, I decided to buy a Hero 4 Silver. I don't know why I hadn't bought one earlier ! Will post a question in a new thread about "Time Lapse"

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Is there any way we can get a moderator or someone to close this thread?
    Thought you'd never ask.