Best go pro settings?- Mtbr.com
    Got rocks?

Best go pro settings?

I got a hero 5 black and started using 2.7k 60 hearing itís good starting point. Whatís gonna be the best for trail riding? Iím not gonna be editing, at least I donít think anyways. I only plan to save them and make highlite clips/ videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Lot of things to consider about settings.

1) What displays do you plan to watch the footage on?
    2) What hardware are you planning to edit them on, if you are going to be making highlight clips, you have to edit them whether it be with Adobe or GoPro's software.
    3) How big is your SD Card and how long are you shooting for?
    4) Do you plan to shoot 2.7K and downscale to 1080p (requires editing).

If you don't plan to do slow motion, I would use 30 fps.

I usually shoot 1080p / 60 because I do like the option to do slow mo but I may switch over to 30fps.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Got rocks?
    Well we are shopping for a new computer and will have to figure some of that out when we get one. Right now it will pretty much be viewed on my phone for now. I have a 128g memory card and plan to only record sections of trail I know will be cool but may eventually record most of my ride at 2-3 hours long, but not real sure honestly. After I downloaded the 2.7k videos I was pleasantly surprised of the quality so I might just stay there unless a different setting can get better battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I use 1080p 60fps on superview. I've considered using 2k but 1080p works for now and the sharpness isn't an issue for me (I poke around with the footage in post).

Rides all the bikes!
    I shoot 1080 on my commute to try and catch the wide view. But on trail I record 960 to capture more bike and up the trail. But I started doing that after I started giving my race footage to a friend who uses my footage to supplement his, and that's what he records.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I shoot 1080 on my commute to try and catch the wide view. But on trail I record 960 to capture more bike and up the trail. But I started doing that after I started giving my race footage to a friend who uses my footage to supplement his, and that's what he records.
    Doesn't the end footage suffer if you do that, though? I mean, it'll not play in HD anymore.
    A Mountain Biking Channel You Should Watch:
    http://tothetrail.tv

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by tothetrail.tv View Post
    Doesn't the end footage suffer if you do that, though? I mean, it'll not play in HD anymore.
    I don't know. I just give him my memory card at the end of the race and he either mails it back or returns it at the next race. He does all the editing work then streams it on his channel with a live commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/bengoyette

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hey folks. Need some help on this topic: How to eliminate the hazy misty blowout in my videos, while riding in the woods?? DO I need to try some filter, or advanced Protune settings?

I prefer these basic settings:
    - Hero 3 Black on a chest gimbal
    - I use a lens protector like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Camera-...o+hero+3+cover
    - 1080 x 48fps
    - 32 GB card
    - my Desktop can't compile much bigger file, and I do not need slo mo (I have macbook pro and Davinci, but havent learned the software yet)
    - purpose is just for sharing with friends on youtube, not cropping, fancy editing nor generating money
    - I edit and export in Magix 17+ using these settings: MPEG4 Export (MP4): Video: 1920x1080 ; 30.00 Frames/s; H.264 10000 kbit/s
    Audio: 44100 Hz; Stereo; AAC

example of my problem is in this video:
    - riding in the woods
    - sunny or bright overcast days, like in this video
    - looks like I am riding in the clouds - but I ain't
    - I want more vivid pretty video please

- (I also ride lot in winter when it is dark overcast too, video even more fuzzy then, but we all know camera like more light)
    https://youtu.be/LfwQmiIedeY

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Vivid isnt something the hero 3 can match compared to newer versions. Has to be done is post processing.

The haze can be many things from limits of the camera to something not right when its trying to show proper light levels in the trees but bright light source above.

Also the cheap chinese filter lens arent that great as some will be good but quality varies.

Your going to need protune to a point but the hero 3 has limits and cant touch the hero 5 or 6 for video quality right off the camera. Even the hero 4 black for that matter.

You can post process a lot of that out once your better used to the program.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.