Yellow Creek State Park- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    agree its a spectacular loop. you have to work to get there but man when you do its an awesome day. trail has a little bit of everything. I was feeling it after finishing the loop around the lake

mtbr member
    I finally made it out to Yellow Creek from Pittsburgh this weekend to ride the loop. Riding with a buddy, we followed the suggested ride on MTB Project but ended up skipping most of Ridge Top trail at the beginning and going right to Simpson trail. From there it was pretty easy to follow the loop as it is well marked with signposts.

I have to say, maybe I was expecting something different but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The trails are very much classic MTB trails and offer a good mix of terrain. There are a few bridges and some cool rock features. It's nice to ride nearly all singletrack and not have to ride much gravel or paved road. This also makes the loop more difficult than it's distance and elevation numbers lead me to believe, as it took us (both a bit out of shape for this long of a ride) around 5 hours to complete.

Pros:
    Amount of singletrack trails.
    Wide variety of terrain from technical rocky to pine forest to open mature forest to dense young forest.
    Some natural rock/boulder features.
    A few fast and flowy sections, but not that many given the amount of trail.
    Well marked with trail signs.

Cons:
    Lots of really steep climbs, many of which just seem unnecessary based on the terrain around them.
    Really steep climbs don't lead to long fun descents, just short steep descents that are over too quickly and not flowy.
    It was muddier than I was expecting, some due to lack of maintenance and some due to trails being in flat areas that don't drain.
    The creek crossing. No one can say they enjoy this, it sucks. A bridge would be expensive but would go a long way towards improving the loop.

Overall I'm glad I went and rode Yellow Creek as I haven't been doing enough long singletrack rides this year, but I doubt I will go back to do it again.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Just,

Thanks for the report, I'm planning a trip out there soon. Depending on weather, see how the riding goes. The single track is super, what a great place to ride, pretty much when its dry though.I agree with you that riding there you do feel beat up more, the mileage is not what it seems. Anyway...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Our group goes out to YC 3-4 times a year. A really fun place to ride, offers a little of everything. You definitely don't want to go after days or even a night of rain. It is really power sucking when muddy.

We always run the loop counter clockwise, (park in lot back by swimming beach) do a little section out to rt 422 then head down a half mile or so and left into the woods. We do the rock climb which is challenging (I know its easier the opposite direction) but the whole loop flows better counter clockwise. Still tough but rewarding.